Sean Clare signs 3 year deal ( updated )

El Diez

No idea who Sean Clare is. Never heard of him. Seems to have attracted some hype. But I mean - to me - I'm a bit clueless as to his with. But in the club I trust so far this season given our other signings.

On the Championship debate above - I went to see Millwall v Swansea a couple weeks back and 10 man Swansea came from behind to beat Millwall 2-1. It was an awful level of quality and the crowd was poor- good away support. Overall I think - from that game - Hearts and Hibs and Aberdeen could do a good job down in that league. Pretty mediocre if you ask me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Bazzas right boot

• Deviskan

• Beast Boy

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, JamboX2 said:

No idea who Sean Clare is. Never heard of him. Seems to have attracted some hype. But I mean - to me - I'm a bit clueless as to his with. But in the club I trust so far this season given our other signings.

To be fair, that is a true.  As much as I am pleased to see he has signed. What I know about of him seems to be based on a lot of clubs interested in him (and some clubs listed I am taking with a pinch of salt as agents can exaggerate club interst to the press to push other clubs to sign,) some videos of him which look good (though we have been fooled by youtube videos before,) how the SW fans are gutted to lose him (by lashing out at us) and Levein saying he is excited. I know thats quite a few things, but he still feels an unknown to me. It could be an flop but I am always optimistic about signings  

2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I still disagree.

I have genuinely only enjoyed about 10% of the Championship games I’ve been to down here and often felt I’ve been watching the equivalent of Partick v Motherwell at times.

The best non EPL game I went to was Fulham v Swindon in the FA cup where Swindon made a pretty good game of it.

Decent English players have come up to Scotland and struggled as well mind.

I agree with this. Watched Birmingham v WBA on Friday and I would defy anyone to say the standard is superior to our top league. The English Championship is seriously over hyped 

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Rated 60 in Fifa. Send him back :(

Screenshot_20180917-045436_Chrome.jpg

Potential 75 I think that says. 

Fifa don't even try anymore though. If the player isn't in the top 5-6 leagues it looks like they barely research them any more.

Edited by Bauld

**** them. Another club with delusions of grandeur based on playing in the same country as the super duper cash rich EPL. 

This sense of self importance really does drip down through that entire league set up. 

Салатные палочки

They really are making complete arses of themselves over this.  

Nice to see we have got more hackles up with our business.  Absolutely loving where we are right now.  

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

They really are making complete arses of themselves over this.  

Nice to see we have got more hackles up with our business.  Absolutely loving where we are right now.  

To be fair overall like with Olly Lee it shows the fans can see a good player. 

16 minutes ago, Section Q said:

You have to laugh at the ignorance of Suzanne Stones, not only with her lack of football knowledge but also her understanding of the English language.  Firstly she says we are a very average team when we sit top of the league.

Secondly, what does VERY AVERAGE mean?  Is it possible to be more average than just average?

Edited by JamboAl

Салатные палочки
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

To be fair overall like with Olly Lee it shows the fans can see a good player. 

Exactly what I said when I read their forum yesterday, the fact that they can't believe that he has chosen to play in this 'pub league' must mean something.  

11 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I still disagree.

I have genuinely only enjoyed about 10% of the Championship games I’ve been to down here and often felt I’ve been watching the equivalent of Partick v Motherwell at times.

The best non EPL game I went to was Fulham v Swindon in the FA cup where Swindon made a pretty good game of it.

Decent English players have come up to Scotland and struggled as well mind.

I take customers down to Newcastle Hospitality  3 or 4 times a season, including Newcastle v Arsenal at weekend, football is so poor that we hardly ever make it out for second half.

English football is vastly over rated and so far up its own bahookie.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

I take customers down to Newcastle Hospitality  3 or 4 times a season, including Newcastle v Arsenal at weekend, football is so poor that we hardly ever make it out for second half.

It's definitely up it's own arse.

Murphy and Bellamy on that Debate thing last week suggesting a third European tournament is an inconvenience. It may well be for 4 countries but UEFA represents over 50.

The strength in depth is higher in England.  But not proportionate to the money spent and the Scottish game is improving 

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Welcome to the big team in the big city Sean.

Looking forward to watching you in the Europa League next season with us, just like you did with Sheffield Wednesday....oh wait a minute.

One of them said SW have sent out a player on loan who's "worth" more than the entire Hearts squad.     Speaks volumes.     That's what it's all about for most people down there now.     Often meaningless figures.    Don't bother even attempting to evaluate the game... just count the zeros and kid yourself on you have the first clue what you're talking about.

12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

A mate took me to hospitality at Arsenal two seasons ago.

You had a cash bar pre- match near your seats and then at half time they had tables full of bottles of beer, glasses of wine etc. for you to drink what you want.

Needless to say say we didn’t make it out for the second half. Arsenal 3-0 Burnley.

I guess it’s easy to say ‘well you’re not a fan of either team’ but equally if it had been a great game I’d have been back out because I love good football.

Anyway that’s an EPL game - I accept the EPL is better than the SPL but I agree with your comment it’s still overrated.

I’ve been to Chelsea v Arsenal a couple of times and they have been good games but not exceptional, but what you notice at that level is individually exceptional moments. The way a player strikes a ball for example or how a player makes  great pass etc.

Stewie Griffin
15 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Welcome to the big team in the big city Sean.

Looking forward to watching you in the  champions  League next season with us, just like you did with Sheffield Wednesday....oh wait a minute.

Fixed that for you ?

I think what we needed was more chat about how overrated English football is. Not enough of that on here and I'm glad this signing has given us the chance to read more of it. 

The seethe from the Wednesday fans is strong - very strong!

I’ve always quite liked Wednesday as a club, but I really can’t understand where they get this massive sense of entitlement and superiority from. They haven’t played in the Premiership for 18 years and have had two spells in League One since then. They haven’t won a title since 1930. They have appeared once in the UEFA cup since the Fairs Cup days, losing in the second round, three years after we were being edged out of the QF by Bayern. They used to be a big club, and to be fair still have an impressive support, but aside from that they are a bang average team playing in a bang average league, and able to pay bigger wages solely thanks to the vast amounts of TV money sloshing around English football. Clare moving from Wednesday to Hearts is a step sideways at worst, and I’d argue even that does us a disservice.

What amuses me most is that they, like us, have three full Scotland internationalists on their books (Fletcher, Bannan and George Boyd). Ours are current internationalists, though!

Edited by Doc Rob

4 hours ago, Bauld said:

Potential 75 I think that says. 

Fifa don't even try anymore though. If the player isn't in the top 5-6 leagues it looks like they barely research them any more.

Defo mate, noticed that Cochrane and Soutter both have potential of mid eighties though :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Well they support a 'massive' Club.....

This 'massive' Club won their last trophy (Diddy/League Cup) 27 years ago...........the FA Cup 84 years ago...........and the League (old First Division) 88 years ago.

They are known for one thing.....their stadium, and all for the wrong reasons!!

Like many, I'm quite excited by this signing.

My question is though, where does he fit in the current team? Plus, a no9 Jersey should really have been kept for Vanecek no?

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Like many, I'm quite excited by this signing.

My question is though, where does he fit in the current team? Plus, a no9 Jersey should really have been kept for Vanecek no?

9 can mean anything these days. It's often reserved for the star man in the team, in his interview he says Austin and Levein both wanted him to have it, says alot that :D

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You have to laugh at the ignorance of Suzanne Stones, not only with her lack of football knowledge but also her understanding of the English language.  Firstly she says we are a very average team when we sit top of the league.

Secondly, what does VERY AVERAGE mean?  Is it possible to be more average than just average?

Obviously it means average, but not as average as extremely average.

Edited by redjambo

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Player egos and agents have ruined it. Look at Swansea, they've had some amazing players, but look at them Championship, having beat a team 10-0 last season, and it's because they don't have the right level of commitment IMO. Teams that really graft like Liverpool are a rare thing

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Obviously it means average, but not as average as extremely average.

Ah, that's clarified it for me now.?

Edited by JamboAl

8 minutes ago, assessor said:

Why do all the English have to have a go at Scottish football, it's everywhere, media, fans, are they scared of something?

I'm guessing because everyone wants someone they can look down on. Wednesday are a club who have been stuck in the lower tiers for years, and whose glory days are decades in the past, but they can still feel superior to SPL clubs. Or they think so, anyway.

12 minutes ago, assessor said:

Why do all the English have to have a go at Scottish football, it's everywhere, media, fans, are they scared of something?

It is because, regardless of whether they like to admit it or not, Scotland and England are sporting rivals. 

Most of the problems we have regarding how the English see our game is because we have a vociferous minority here in Scotland lambasting our game! It is genuinely not bad and in fact we don't promote the good bits enough. Look at the crowds both Edinburgh clubs are getting just now. We here nothing from the Glasgow MSM praising this at all. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I'm guessing because everyone wants someone they can look down on. Wednesday are a club who have been stuck in the lower tiers for years, and whose glory days are decades in the past, but they can still feel superior to SPL clubs. Or they think so, anyway.

In a nutshell. Insecurity.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

One of them said SW have sent out a player on loan who's "worth" more than the entire Hearts squad.     Speaks volumes.     That's what it's all about for most people down there now.     Often meaningless figures.    Don't bother even attempting to evaluate the game... just count the zeros and kid yourself on you have the first clue what you're talking about.

Not just the entire squad but the ground as well. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Ultimately the fact is Sheffield Wednesday are named after everyone’s second least favourite day of the week after Monday. 

If they were Sheffield Friday maybe their fans would have a bit better banter. As it is, they are as depressing as a Wednesday morning.

The Hibs of Sheffield. 

goldiebackwash1985
24 minutes ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

Most of the problems we have regarding how the English see our game is because we have a vociferous minority here in Scotland lambasting our game! It is genuinely not bad and in fact we don't promote the good bits enough. Look at the crowds both Edinburgh clubs are getting just now. We here nothing from the Glasgow MSM praising this at all. 

Exactly! Barry Hearn came up here a while back and basically flat out said we are under valuing and under selling our product! Look at the kind of money Snooker and Darts have in their game

Sky is not the be all and end all! Why cant we have a better TV package with Sky or BT with no exclusivity, Highlights package with free to air channel and to generate more money look at a deal with a online betting company example BET365 to have live streaming

Maybe there is better options but we are truly missing out on so much income that would benefit the game up here

And we could refurbish Hampden and bring in technology we cant afford

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Ultimately the fact is Sheffield Wednesday are named after everyone’s second least favourite day of the week after Monday. 

If they were Sheffield Friday maybe their fans would have a bit better banter. As it is, they are as depressing as a Wednesday morning.

The Hibs of Sheffield. 

Top post. Slap bang in the middle of the week, two more days to go but that's a small crumb of consolation

Reading the seethe against Scottish Football on the BBC Sport post about this signing, tipped to be the next star yet now he's shite and Scottish football is even shiter!!!

Hahaha if this wasn't a great signing then it wouldn't even be discussed, I've got a stiffy over the potential of this boy! Haha

I read most of the red tops on the Clare signing and while the interest of other EPL clubs was mentioned there was no reference to him being a target of Steve Gerrard's Rangers as previously stated in the Record.

Nevertheless, the Record still manages to mention Kyle Lafferty in its piece on Clare, obviously as a sop to its bluenose readership.

Edited by Tasavallan

alwaysthereinspirit

:cornette:Who's the player they loaned out who is worth more than our full squad and the stadium combined? Delusional at best absolutely bonkers at worst.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Average. Averagererer. Averagestest. And then very average is even more average but not quite at crazy average level. Obviously the guy has made a huge mistake signing for us. :whistling:

9 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

:cornette:Who's the player they loaned out who is worth more than our full squad and the stadium combined? Delusional at best absolutely bonkers at worst.

Jordan Rhodes :lol:

10 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Don't know but if they have this magical player worth 10s of millions why the hell is he on loan ?