Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Haud oan.......you want other teams to make millions so we get some table scraps as a drip down?

:cornette: 

No. I don't want to start playing games in Europe at the end of June.

I know I am in a minority but won't change my opinion that in order to raise our country's stock in Europe, we need all teams to do well.

I am not like others....I don't want to continually moan that our game is shite, I want it to improve.

The money quote was a general response to people who say " feck the co-efficient...it's nothing that affects Hearts ! "

Sorry...it ******* does !

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

The Treasurer
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

I know I am in a minority but won't change my opinion that in order to raise our country's stock in Europe, we need all teams to do well.

I am not like others....I don't want to continually moan that our game is shite, I want it to improve.

The money quote was a general response to people who say " feck the co-efficient...it's nothing that affects Hearts ! "

If anyone is going to "raise the co-efficient" (and therefore make money) then I'd rather it was us.

I've no problem with having to play "diddy teams" at this stage. If we improve enough (as a country), then teams will progress regardless of who they play.

Whether they have to play one qualifier or 4, Scottish teams will always come up against a fairly strong club or clubs in order to reach the group stages.

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Here's a radical idea, why don't the clubs get more to invest in Scottish talent by the SPFL and the SFA getting a ****in grip on reality. The National team will never raise the coefficient for as long as we're globe trotting round the world as cannon fodder in friendlies. Celtic getting to the group stages of the CL isn't making any difference so perhaps a collective view on Scottish football would help! 

29 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Some interesting prices for tonight Hibs - 11/1 draw - 33/1 to get beat - Rangers 16/1 Draw 40/1 to get beat. 

A double on the draws would pay around 203/1....double on both to lose around 1393/1...

£2 on both losing. I was going to buy a lottery ticket but sounds a better bet , you never know

where about are you seeing these odds ?

Edited by 1971fozzy

10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

If anyone is going to "raise the co-efficient" (and therefore make money) then I'd rather it was us.

I've no problem with having to play "diddy teams" at this stage. If we improve enough (as a country), then teams will progress regardless of who they play.

Whether they have to play one qualifier or 4, Scottish teams will always come up against a fairly strong club or clubs in order to reach the group stages.

Disagree.

The reason we are getting put out by " diddy teams " is because we are playing them so early in the season.

I agree with Rudy's post as regards a collective view on Scottish Football. That's much preferable to a " we'll do it by ourselves " attitude, which is fantasy, frankly.

JamboGraham

The UEFA solidarity payment and national co-efficient are two different things and not directly related. Scottish teams will never drop into the preliminary groups so no need to worry about June.

There are two big co-efficient prizes, first would be to increase our national co-efficient by enough to rise 6 places therefore bumping each European entrant up a round, second increase by a dozen places giving direct access for our champions and cup winners into the CL/EL group stages.

However, Celtic alone are never going to achieve this. It needs every entrant to put up a decent performance and get through a couple of rounds at least, every individual match (not just the overall tie) counts. Each year we struggle as at least one club always falls at the first hurdle, often scoring zero co-efficient points.

So, unless everyone gets better then one team, Celtic, doing well will not make the blindest bit of co-efficient difference to Hearts, but we will get a windfall payment if they make the CL groups.

JamboGraham
17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Here's a radical idea, why don't the clubs get more to invest in Scottish talent by the SPFL and the SFA getting a ****in grip on reality. The National team will never raise the coefficient for as long as we're globe trotting round the world as cannon fodder in friendlies. Celtic getting to the group stages of the CL isn't making any difference so perhaps a collective view on Scottish football would help! 

All for investment and new thinking but the national team coefficient and club coefficient are separate and do not impact on each other.

1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

The UEFA solidarity payment and national co-efficient are two different things and not directly related. Scottish teams will never drop into the preliminary groups so no need to worry about June.

There are two big co-efficient prizes, first would be to increase our national co-efficient by enough to rise 6 places therefore bumping each European entrant up a round, second increase by a dozen places giving direct access for our champions and cup winners into the CL/EL group stages.

However, Celtic alone are never going to achieve this. It needs every entrant to put up a decent performance and get through a couple of rounds at least, every individual match (not just the overall tie) counts. Each year we struggle as at least one club always falls at the first hurdle, often scoring zero co-efficient points.

So, unless everyone gets better then one team, Celtic, doing well will not make the blindest bit of co-efficient difference to Hearts, but we will get a windfall payment if they make the CL groups.

The third paragragh is where i'm at.

My June comment was in relation to the last time we played in Europe. First Round, First Leg was in June.

Just now, JamboGraham said:

All for investment and new thinking but the national team coefficient and club coefficient are separate and do not impact on each other.

Correct.

JamboGraham
5 minutes ago, Boab said:

The third paragragh is where i'm at.

My June comment was in relation to the last time we played in Europe. First Round, First Leg was in June.

OK, fair point it was the 30th June that year but generally the first round is a very early July start with the preliminary round in June. Splitting hairs though, it is still very much the close season and greatly reduces the chances of Scottish success.

2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

OK, fair point it was the 30th June that year but generally the first round is a very early July start with the preliminary round in June. Splitting hairs though, it is still very much the close season and greatly reduces the chances of Scottish success.

Which was the point I was trying to make.

JamboGraham

But here is the dilemma...if a Scottish club (other than Celtic) was to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League it would bring in additional revenue to that club of around £5-£6m assuming they don't progress beyond the group. That sum is around half of our total annual turnover.

It doesn't matter about Celtic, they are already out of sight domestically but inject funding like that into Aberdeen or Hibs and suddenly they have a significant financial advantage over us reducing our ability to compete in the league and cups.

So better co-efficient yes, but it would make domestic competition much tougher for Hearts.

29 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Really....I thought they were linked. has this always been the case?

44 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

£2 on both losing. I was going to buy a lottery ticket but sounds a better bet , you never know

where about are you seeing these odds ?

All the bookies about the same

The Treasurer
56 minutes ago, Boab said:

Disagree.

The reason we are getting put out by " diddy teams " is because we are playing them so early in the season.

I agree with Rudy's post as regards a collective view on Scottish Football. That's much preferable to a " we'll do it by ourselves " attitude, which is fantasy, frankly.

I'm sure a lot (not all) of these so-called diddy countries have similar seasons to ours, so this argument that they are more match fit is just an excuse, not a reason.

If we concentrate on our own club and get the right team on the park we will beat these clubs whether we play them in July or January.

However my point still stands that, in order to get into the group stages (where the real money lies) we would have to beat a very strong team(maybe even two) and, due to the corrupt way UEFA rig these things to ensure teams from the bigger nations will qualify, that isn't going to change, regardless of how much our coefficient improves

27 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

But here is the dilemma...if a Scottish club (other than Celtic) was to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League it would bring in additional revenue to that club of around £5-£6m assuming they don't progress beyond the group. That sum is around half of our total annual turnover.

It doesn't matter about Celtic, they are already out of sight domestically but inject funding like that into Aberdeen or Hibs and suddenly they have a significant financial advantage over us reducing our ability to compete in the league and cups.

So better co-efficient yes, but it would make domestic competition much tougher for Hearts.

Of course there is that possibility.

In Scotland's position in Europe right now, I don't think we have a choice. People may have a different opinion and only want Hearts to be beneficiary of any points or finance. Fair enough, I can see that but the game is soured these days with greed and self-centred attitudes. 

I'll be happy if any coefficient points or finance helps Hearts, now or in the future.

8 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm sure a lot (not all) of these so-called diddy countries have similar seasons to ours, so this argument that they are more match fit is just an excuse, not a reason.

If we concentrate on our own club and get the right team on the park we will beat these clubs whether we play them in July or January.

However my point still stands that, in order to get into the group stages (where the real money lies) we would have to beat a very strong team(maybe even two) and, due to the corrupt way UEFA rig these things to ensure teams from the bigger nations will qualify, that isn't going to change, regardless of how much our coefficient improves

Totally agree about UEFA and the ever widening gap appearing, created solely by them and their corporate masters.

We have to improve in Europe, is all i'm saying, and it needs everyone to make that improvement. I can't revel in the fact that our representatives in Europe get bounced out early doors, every season. It's depressing, sorry.

both to get beat with William hill was about 600/1 stuck a tenner on. highly unlikely but more likely than the lottery

13 minutes ago, jamdunc said:

both to get beat with William hill was about 600/1 stuck a tenner on. highly unlikely but more likely than the lottery

Nice odds. Hope it comes through. :)

Randy Marsh
4 hours ago, Boab said:

Disagree.

Not sure I agree with this.  Birkirkara didn't start their league campaign until over a month after they had humiliated us.  Surely we would have been better prepared than they were?  That is just an example that playing too early is just an excuse because the majority of these so called 'diddy' teams are in the same boat.

I wont be gloating if Hibs don't win after our embarrassing exit 2 years ago.  For the record,  Birkirkara have already been knocked out of Europe by a team from the Faroe Islands. 

I P Knightley

The BBC preview for the Sevco game caught my eye

Formed by a merger of Sloga Jugomagnat and Albarsa in 2012 following financial problems, Shkupi arrive in Glasgow for their maiden European foray.

Two teams formed in 2012 following financial problems. Those boys at UEFA have had a laugh with the draw.

Phil Dunphy

Hibs and Rangers winning tonight does Hearts no favours in terms of seeding for future competitions. 

For that, and many other reasons, I hope they both get slipped a dry length. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Hibs and Rangers winning tonight does Hearts no favours in terms of seeding for future competitions. 

For that, and many other reasons, I hope they both get slipped a dry length. 

What competitions ?

lauriesrank

I've just turned on the hun game, shame they'll probably win but the number 19 for the macedonians is decent I've heard, and of course number 19 :D  

Of course FTH, although I'll hear if they score before It'll come up :(

...a bit disco

Runavik - 'A typical Scandinavian team'

Hibernian v NSI Runavik (19:45)

Hibs boss Neil Lennon says of NSI Runavik: "They are fit, a typical Scandinavian team, strong, well organised. It's a big game for them.

"We've seen footage of them, we've seen set-plays. I'm more concerned with how we'll play, we've got to get on the front foot. We have to try and take an advantage over there. I would be delighted with a clean sheet."

:lol:

How to big-up a team of part-timers from the Faroes!

3 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

"Hearts fans" wanting Celtic, rangers or hibs to win ever? **** off. 

Nice grammar !

Just now, norrie1952 said:

Reluctantly I've put on der h game.Now hobbits are one up.Welcome to new season.Bad luck to them both.

yep lets hope both teams fall on their collective arses 

lauriesrank

Didn't hear anything when the hobos scored, probably about 6k there then, anyway unlucky from the Macedonians there, also, who's the co-commentator in the hun game (bt?)

The Future's Maroon

Didn’t know Sevco game was on BT Sports, until now ?