Diabetes

The_razors_edge

The_razors_edge

I mentioned it on the ‘foods you’d never give up’ thread a wee while ago and had it confirmed within the last 2 weeks that I’ve got type 2 diabetes. After discussion with the diabetes nurse I’m going to try and manage it through diet. So basically I’m going to have a complete lifestyle change in terms of what I eat and drink to try and come out the other side. I’m 34 and not obese or even overweight which I’ve been told makes it harder to fix, given that obese and overweight people are able to reduce their diabetes scores and blood sugar levels significantly through weight loss. Wondering if there’s anyone on here who’s got type 2 diabetes and how they manage it or had type 2 and managed to reverse it through changing their lifestyle. In particular what you eat/ate especially breads (I love bread!). If there’s anyone that uses medication to manage it I’d be interested to know what it’s like (side effects etc) because if I can’t do this with diet then that’s the next step and it’s something I’m hoping to avoid. Any help, info, advice greatly appreciated 

Maple Leaf

Sorry, I'm not diabetic but I have friends who are.

No need to despair, you'll be fine.  You just have to discipline yourself in your lifestyle choices from here on out. 

Follow the advice of your medical professionals, be prepared to make some small sacrifices, and you'll live to be a ripe old age and have a good time along the way.

All the best.  :thumb:

chubby1973

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 2. Given im a greedy fat *******, it wasn't a surprise!!

It is really difficult to manage when you actually start looking at the ingrediants within products. Low fat food = v high sugar. I've gone sugar free on soft drinks & in my coffee/tea, but really struggle with everything else. Can avoid sweet things for days, then take 1 thing & then the craving hits you. Oh & most will say "you just need to go on a diet & you'll be fine" if only!!!! I lost 2 kilos, but my sugar still went up?!

Good luck with it though & stand your ground when family members buy you chocolate for bithdays & xmas, then look at you as if you're an ungrateful git when you remind them you're diabetic.

Ps if they end up putting you on metphormin. Ask for the slow release version. Trust me, you're arse will thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how active you are but any diet change should ideally be accompanied by an increase in physical activity aswell. 

Since you are looking at a complete lifestyle change why not incorporate weight lifting or circuit training into your daily routine. 

Exercise will help use up the glucose in your blood that can't be processed (causing the diabetes) therefore help you manage it. 

Theres loads of info out there (scientifically proven) that can help you.

It doesn't matter if you aren't producing enough insulin or if you are insulin resistant, exercise reduce blood glucose levels. 

Try "endocrineweb.com" .. Some good info there and not too scientific in its language do easy to follow. 

The_razors_edge
2 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 2. Given im a greedy fat *******, it wasn't a surprise!!

It is really difficult to manage when you actually start looking at the ingrediants within products. Low fat food = v high sugar. I've gone sugar free on soft drinks & in my coffee/tea, but really struggle with everything else. Can avoid sweet things for days, then take 1 thing & then the craving hits you. Oh & most will say "you just need to go on a diet & you'll be fine" if only!!!! I lost 2 kilos, but my sugar still went up?!

Good luck with it though & stand your ground when family members buy you chocolate for bithdays & xmas, then look at you as if you're an ungrateful git when you remind them you're diabetic.

Ps if they end up putting you on metphormin. Ask for the slow release version. Trust me, you're arse will thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve basically gone cold turkey with regards to anything sweet/sugary and completely cut out simple carbs and my glucose levels have come down from 21 to anywhere between 9 and 11 in 2 and a half weeks. 

Thats really handy advice about the metphormin - I’ve been told by a nurse friend it’s not a very nice drug. Thank you 

The_razors_edge
42 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I don't know how active you are but any diet change should ideally be accompanied by an increase in physical activity aswell. 

Since you are looking at a complete lifestyle change why not incorporate weight lifting or circuit training into your daily routine. 

Exercise will help use up the glucose in your blood that can't be processed (causing the diabetes) therefore help you manage it. 

Theres loads of info out there (scientifically proven) that can help you.

It doesn't matter if you aren't producing enough insulin or if you are insulin resistant, exercise reduce blood glucose levels. 

Try "endocrineweb.com" .. Some good info there and not too scientific in its language do easy to follow. 

I’m definitely not as active as I should be and increasing my physical activity is something I know i need to do. 

Unfortunately, I work compressed hours at work so basically 9 hour days, 4 days a week and my day off is spent helping my wife with her business as a childminder. I also have 3 kids of my own so i spend a lot of time outside work ferrying them around to various clubs and classes etc which means I have even less time for myself. I am going to get myself a bike and start cycling regularly (which I can also involve the kids in) so hopefully that will make a difference.

thanks for the website, i will definitely be checking that out.

chubby1973
2 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve basically gone cold turkey with regards to anything sweet/sugary and completely cut out simple carbs and my glucose levels have come down from 21 to anywhere between 9 and 11 in 2 and a half weeks. 

Thats really handy advice about the metphormin - I’ve been told by a nurse friend it’s not a very nice drug. Thank you 

That's a brilliant achievement!

I tried the cold turkey approach. Only been succesfull with some things. However, it is a mind over matter thing.  I went to the desmond course & attended active steps clinic. Really helpful advice. Basically its cutting back gradually. Doc also told me supermarkets do a gluten free tour. I've never done it though.

Sorry to hear this. There's a doc called The Magic Pill on Netflix. About Ketogenic diet etc. Well worth a watch. Good look with it. I've cut out bread, cereals, sugars a lot the last few years. Feel great.

DarthVodka

Speak to your GP about Dulaglutide if you need to move on to treatment, it’s an injection but if memory serves me right it’s long lasting (weekly admins compared with the market leader of dailies) and pretty effective. I did a little post market safety on it and seemed ok.

With early detection, type 2 can be effectively managed without drugs as it sounds like you are trying. Good luck and keep monitoring 

On 07/07/2018 at 20:14, The_razors_edge said:

I mentioned it on the ‘foods you’d never give up’ thread a wee while ago and had it confirmed within the last 2 weeks that I’ve got type 2 diabetes. After discussion with the diabetes nurse I’m going to try and manage it through diet. So basically I’m going to have a complete lifestyle change in terms of what I eat and drink to try and come out the other side. I’m 34 and not obese or even overweight which I’ve been told makes it harder to fix, given that obese and overweight people are able to reduce their diabetes scores and blood sugar levels significantly through weight loss. Wondering if there’s anyone on here who’s got type 2 diabetes and how they manage it or had type 2 and managed to reverse it through changing their lifestyle. In particular what you eat/ate especially breads (I love bread!). If there’s anyone that uses medication to manage it I’d be interested to know what it’s like (side effects etc) because if I can’t do this with diet then that’s the next step and it’s something I’m hoping to avoid. Any help, info, advice greatly appreciated 

Have you had something called a GAD antibody test? The reason I ask is you don't sound a typical type 2. Neither was I when I was diagnosed at 28 (I was young, thin, fit, healthy). 

I was told I had type 2, put on Metformin and started to adjust my diet and lifestyle accordingly. No matter how hard I tried it made no difference to my sugars. They did this GAD antibody blood test and it turned out I had a little known diabetes called LADA. It looks like type 2 initially, but it is a slowly progressive type 1. I stopped the diet charade, started injecting insulin, immediately felt better. Within nine months the disease had run its course and I was fully insulin dependent. Keep this in mind and ask the question if the changes you will make don't feel like they are working. If you have LADA, life is easier on insulin as it progresses.

For blood sugar control, think brown (wholemeal). Brown bread, brown pasta, brown rice. You can't avoid carbs, you need them, but white bread, pasta, rice is absorbed much more quickly and causes a spike in blood sugars that can make you feel shit. Brown stuff is absorbed more slowly, so you don't spike. 

Don't try to be a nun or you'll start to resent an illness you have to just find a way to live with (given you're starting from a place of being a healthy weight, you don't strike me as someone with a 'reversible' type 2). Life is for living. Bin milk chocolate digestive and have dark chocolate digestives with your cuppa instead. Guiness is an easier pint. Fatty food plays havoc with carb absorption, so if you fancy a pizza or a chippy, treat yourself and just accept you'll be hungover the next day whilst sugars return to normal.

Lastly, be honest with your hospital diabetic nurses. The diabetes team at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary are second to none. They won't judge you, and they'll help you live the life you want to live, within reason. 

15 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

I'll second this too, based on my brief spell as a misdiagnosed type 2. Metformin is horrendous, the slow release version is much easier on your, erm, regular movements! 

The_razors_edge
18 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Have you had something called a GAD antibody test? The reason I ask is you don't sound a typical type 2. Neither was I when I was diagnosed at 28 (I was young, thin, fit, healthy). 

I was told I had type 2, put on Metformin and started to adjust my diet and lifestyle accordingly. No matter how hard I tried it made no difference to my sugars. They did this GAD antibody blood test and it turned out I had a little known diabetes called LADA. It looks like type 2 initially, but it is a slowly progressive type 1. I stopped the diet charade, started injecting insulin, immediately felt better. Within nine months the disease had run its course and I was fully insulin dependent. Keep this in mind and ask the question if the changes you will make don't feel like they are working. If you have LADA, life is easier on insulin as it progresses.

For blood sugar control, think brown (wholemeal). Brown bread, brown pasta, brown rice. You can't avoid carbs, you need them, but white bread, pasta, rice is absorbed much more quickly and causes a spike in blood sugars that can make you feel shit. Brown stuff is absorbed more slowly, so you don't spike. 

Don't try to be a nun or you'll start to resent an illness you have to just find a way to live with (given you're starting from a place of being a healthy weight, you don't strike me as someone with a 'reversible' type 2). Life is for living. Bin milk chocolate digestive and have dark chocolate digestives with your cuppa instead. Guiness is an easier pint. Fatty food plays havoc with carb absorption, so if you fancy a pizza or a chippy, treat yourself and just accept you'll be hungover the next day whilst sugars return to normal.

Lastly, be honest with your hospital diabetic nurses. The diabetes team at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary are second to none. They won't judge you, and they'll help you live the life you want to live, within reason. 

Firstly, thanks for posting! Loads of really helpful info.

Yes I’ve had the GAD test but I’ve not had the results back yet. Interestingly my wife and I did some reading on LADA last night and we both agreed there is potential for me to have that instead of type 2 (as you say I don’t really fit the stereotype of a type 2 diabetic). So really just waiting for confirmation, although one of the nurses I saw initially was adamant I was type 2 so it’ll be interesting to see what these results show up.

In terms of controlling my blood sugars I have started eating brown everything already and removed sugar completely from my diet (fizzy juice, sweets, chocolate, swapped sugar for sweetener in my tea etc). 

In in terms of being a nun I’ve agreed in my own head to be really disciplined for the next 3 months until my bloods are tested again (my most recent HBA1C score was 96!) in the hope i’ll see some progress (providing it’s confirmed I’m type 2 and not LADA). Not going to lie i’m pretty resentful already when I look at the shite my father in law eats and he’s somehow not diabetic. That said this has been a real eye opener for him and he says he’s going to change his lifestyle too.

I’m in fife so will fall under the Victoria hospital in Kirkcaldy but so far everyone has been really helpful and supportive. The diabetes nurse totally supported the fact i wanted to try and sort it with diet rather than going straight on to the medication which was great.

The_razors_edge
10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Sorry to hear this. There's a doc called The Magic Pill on Netflix. About Ketogenic diet etc. Well worth a watch. Good look with it. I've cut out bread, cereals, sugars a lot the last few years. Feel great.

Thank you for the info. It’s heartening to read the changes you have made have made you feel better

The_razors_edge
4 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

Speak to your GP about Dulaglutide if you need to move on to treatment, it’s an injection but if memory serves me right it’s long lasting (weekly admins compared with the market leader of dailies) and pretty effective. I did a little post market safety on it and seemed ok.

With early detection, type 2 can be effectively managed without drugs as it sounds like you are trying. Good luck and keep monitoring 

Thank you for the info. I’m hoping if it is type 2 I can continue to manage it through making the necessary lifestyle changes

The_razors_edge

Huge thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post advice and information on the thread, it’s appreciated! 

10 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Firstly, thanks for posting! Loads of really helpful info.

Yes I’ve had the GAD test but I’ve not had the results back yet. Interestingly my wife and I did some reading on LADA last night and we both agreed there is potential for me to have that instead of type 2 (as you say I don’t really fit the stereotype of a type 2 diabetic). So really just waiting for confirmation, although one of the nurses I saw initially was adamant I was type 2 so it’ll be interesting to see what these results show up.

In terms of controlling my blood sugars I have started eating brown everything already and removed sugar completely from my diet (fizzy juice, sweets, chocolate, swapped sugar for sweetener in my tea etc). 

In in terms of being a nun I’ve agreed in my own head to be really disciplined for the next 3 months until my bloods are tested again (my most recent HBA1C score was 96!) in the hope i’ll see some progress (providing it’s confirmed I’m type 2 and not LADA). Not going to lie i’m pretty resentful already when I look at the shite my father in law eats and he’s somehow not diabetic. That said this has been a real eye opener for him and he says he’s going to change his lifestyle too.

I’m in fife so will fall under the Victoria hospital in Kirkcaldy but so far everyone has been really helpful and supportive. The diabetes nurse totally supported the fact i wanted to try and sort it with diet rather than going straight on to the medication which was great.

Good on you. You'll do fine with your attitude and approach, regardless.

Drop me a PM if it is LADA. I've been through that transition and can help if you have any questions. 

Whether it's type 1 (not so good and for life bar a transplant) or type 2 (almost completely manageable through lifestyle choices, although not easy)..

Take inspiration from this wee guy.... A rather well known type 1....

One of my all time sporting heroes.. Not only has he managed a life threatening disease for decades but was an (incredibly successful)  Olympic athlete for most of them! 

The_razors_edge
9 hours ago, blairdin said:

Drop me a PM if it is LADA. I've been through that transition and can help if you have any questions. 

Thank you ??

• 2 months later...

Just been diagnosed with type 2 today.

I've been pre-diabetic for many years and over the last two years my fasting blood sugar level has been steadily climbing, so it wasn't a huge surprise that my levels are now over the threshold (7.0 & 7.1) and my HBA1C score is 52 which in old money is 6.9% and is once again just over the theshold to diagnose diabetes.

Fortunately since I have a yearly heart check-up and already get several blood tests done (Blood sugar, cholesterol, Kidney & Liver function) they have managed to detect my diabetes when it's still quite low and are hopeful of being able to treat it without any medication and are going to go down the lifestyle route first and I'm being referred to some clinic or other.

There is a long history of diabetes in the family which I discovered whilst doing the family tree, on just one particular line and I can trace it back to one individual who was born in 1869, so it's been around in my family for quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Question for folks that have more experience about this than I do.

I have an appointment at a DESMOND course in December, It's a full day course and I presume there will be lots of information etc etc, has anybody else been on one of these course's and if so what was it like, was it useful?

Blood glucose test kits are they supplied by the NHS or do I have to buy the test meter, lancets and test strips myself, the info I got from my GP was next to nothing, I'm hoping that the DESMOND course will inform me about all of these things.

Any heads up info would be useful.

Cheers

12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I have an appointment at a DESMOND course in December, It's a full day course and I presume there will be lots of information etc etc, has anybody else been on one of these course's and if so what was it like, was it useful?

Blood glucose test kits are they supplied by the NHS or do I have to buy the test meter, lancets and test strips myself, the info I got from my GP was next to nothing, I'm hoping that the DESMOND course will inform me about all of these things.

Cheers

Sent you a pm 

13 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Cheers

as a type 2 don't bother buying a meter

what you are looking for is long term trend- the glycosylated HB

The best thing you can do is lose weight and exercise

that way you can cure yourself and avoid a lifetime of drug consumption

Weight loss will increase peripheral glucose utilisation as well as reduce your intra-organic fat so your pancreas will work better, so you increase insulin production, and also your glucose utilisation

YOU CAN CURE YOURSELF!

Lose weight, reverse the damage

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Weight loss will increase peripheral glucose utilisation as well as reduce your intra-organic fat so your pancreas will work better, so you increase insulin production, and also your glucose utilisation

YOU CAN CURE YOURSELF!

Being overweight gets blamed all the time for type 2, and in most cases it does have an influence, but there are other factors as well, such as genetics.

I was having syptoms of diabetes when I was 10st with not an ounce of fat on me, indeed the Royal swore that I had to be diabetic when I had my heart attack in 2011, seemingly they seen some signs which indicated that I could have diabetes and they were really surprised when my bloods came back and I wasn't, I was higher than normal but not high enough. 

So when I was 10st, fairly fit and carrying minimal excess fat there was already a question mark about being diabetic, in fact a few years eariler I'd been at the doctors and was tested for diabetes but once again was higher than normal but not high enough, so nothing was done, so with that being the case, then I don't think that weight even come into the reckoning here.

Add in the fact that I can trace type 2 diabetics in one branch of my family back some 5 generations to one indivdual born in the 1860's and near enough 50% of every descendant from her has went on to develop type 2 diabetes, some of them I know for a fact have never touched sugar in their lifes, they are lean fit and not overweight and they still develop diabetes, which kinda goes against the common perceptions of what most people think that it's only mainly fat overweight people who develop diabetes.

So it looks that in my family's case it's bad genes, and if that is the case then is no cure unless you can alter that gene.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Being overweight gets blamed all the time for type 2, and in most cases it does have an influence, but there are other factors as well, such as genetics.

I was having syptoms of diabetes when I was 10st with not an ounce of fat on me, indeed the Royal swore that I had to be diabetic when I had my heart attack in 2011, seemingly they seen some signs which indicated that I could have diabetes and they were really surprised when my bloods came back and I wasn't, I was higher than normal but not high enough. 

So when I was 10st, fairly fit and carrying minimal excess fat there was already a question mark about being diabetic, in fact a few years eariler I'd been at the doctors and was tested for diabetes but once again was higher than normal but not high enough, so nothing was done, so with that being the case, then I don't think that weight even come into the reckoning here.

Add in the fact that I can trace type 2 diabetics in one branch of my family back some 5 generations to one indivdual born in the 1860's and near enough 50% of every descendant from her has went on to develop type 2 diabetes, some of them I know for a fact have never touched sugar in their lifes, they are lean fit and not overweight and they still develop diabetes, which kinda goes against the common perceptions of what most people think that it's only mainly fat overweight people who develop diabetes.

So it looks that in my family's case it's bad genes, and if that is the case then is no cure unless you can alter that gene.

True, it does happen, but rarely

there can be other reasons for it

but mostly its weight

The_razors_edge
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Cheers

I can't really help with the DESMOND stuff, although i've been on a half day course with a nurse and dietitian in relation to my type 2 diabetes. However my diabetes nurse gave me a blood testing kit, albeit the lancets are crap. They gave me a 'True You' blood testing kit. On the advice of someone else i bought an 'Accu-chek' lancet thingy which is much better so i combine the Accu-chek lancet with the true you glucose strips and monitor. Although i've just been told recently i don't need to test myself anymore and that i won't be getting any more glucose testing strips. 

The_razors_edge
On 08/07/2018 at 22:44, blairdin said:

Just following up on this...

The results came back and they confirmed i dont have LADA. In the 3 or so months since i was diagnosed i've managed to get my HBA1C down from 96 to 61 so i'm definitely going in the right direction.

4 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Just following up on this...

The results came back and they confirmed i dont have LADA. In the 3 or so months since i was diagnosed i've managed to get my HBA1C down from 96 to 61 so i'm definitely going in the right direction.

Firstly, pleased for you its not LADA. Is it confirmed type 2, some kind of insulin resistance?

Secondly, that's a seriously, seriously impressive HbA1C result. Congratulations on that turnaround, I can imagine some of the changes you've made. The hard work is paying off. And make no mistake, it is hard work. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, blairdin said:

Firstly, pleased for you its not LADA. Is it confirmed type 2, some kind of insulin resistance?

Secondly, that's a seriously, seriously impressive HbA1C result. Congratulations on that turnaround, I can imagine some of the changes you've made. The hard work is paying off. And make no mistake, it is hard work. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

Yeah they’re 100% sure it’s type 2. The general assumption being that the insulin my body is producing isn’t working properly. 

Thanks. To be honest I wasn’t really sure how good that result was relative to the changes I have made. I’ve been told I need to ideally get it down to 53 otherwise they’ll push for me to go on medication. So I’ve got another 3 months to get it down to 53. 

• 2 years later...
Jambo-Jimbo

Metformin

Started this 3 weeks ago, initially 1x500mg per day for a week, then 2x500mg for a week and now 3x500mg this week, next week it'll be 4x500mg daily, I have to say I'm not looking forward to next week, because this week so far has been........well not very good.

I know there can be side effects with this medication and for the first two weeks nothing too bad, but this week I think I've had them all, from feeling bloated, feeling sick, wind, reflux, shiting to general stomach aches, hence why I'm not looking forward to steping up the dose at the week-end.

Anybody else struggled with Metformin, and if so how long did the side effects last for you, more importantly did they go away?

manaliveits105

Been on 4 a day for many years and never up nor down - watch sugar intake (lager is ok :) ) and regular exercise is a must 

JudyJudyJudy

Hi . Sorry to hear about your diagnosis . Never easy finding out you have a disease and have to think about things differently . I am not much overweight for my height anc weight . I had my regular liver function tests in January and I wasn’t told I would get the H ( can’t remember the rest of it ) test for diabetes 2 . Anyway it came back around “ borderline “

so I was pretty shocked . I read up more on it . However even before this I have been on a relatively good diet due to other health issue . I have cut out white bread , cut out rice ( brown and white ) eat fish 3 times per week , mackerel in particular due to its nutritional value , plenty veg , definitely no potatoes ! I eat biscuits now and but more of a savoury person which can be just as bad due to salt and unsaturated fat contents but I like my treats . I don’t drink fizzy juice and now blend oranges in a blender . I like fruit like strawberries and apples with low fat youhart . I have porridge or weetabix fir breakfast . With the porridge I eat Alpro coconut milk or Soya milk but semi skimmed milk with weetabix . I have been on the intermittent fasting diet since last November smc I’ve lost 8 pounds since then which is best I’ve achieved from any diet . It’s a great fasting diet . I do the easiest One , 16 hours fasting 8 hour window to eat .  I still like my snacks but try keep them to minimal . I got my results back from the diabetes H test and to relief it was fine . I think he mentioned something about being at 40 which I think is borderline ? But least I haven’t been diagnosed . Hope some of this is helpful . 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
On 30/10/2018 at 10:33, Craig_ said:

Pretty sure I've read that intermittent fasting can be used to cure Type 2 Diabetes. Might be worth looking into.

Yep ! 

On 21/09/2018 at 20:09, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just been diagnosed with type 2 today.

I've been pre-diabetic for many years and over the last two years my fasting blood sugar level has been steadily climbing, so it wasn't a huge surprise that my levels are now over the threshold (7.0 & 7.1) and my HBA1C score is 52 which in old money is 6.9% and is once again just over the theshold to diagnose diabetes.

Fortunately since I have a yearly heart check-up and already get several blood tests done (Blood sugar, cholesterol, Kidney & Liver function) they have managed to detect my diabetes when it's still quite low and are hopeful of being able to treat it without any medication and are going to go down the lifestyle route first and I'm being referred to some clinic or other.

There is a long history of diabetes in the family which I discovered whilst doing the family tree, on just one particular line and I can trace it back to one individual who was born in 1869, so it's been around in my family for quite some time.

I was 40 is this good ? 

On 30/10/2018 at 10:41, doctor jambo said:

YOU CAN CURE YOURSELF!

Yes exercise and weight loss 

On 30/10/2018 at 13:25, The_razors_edge said:

I can't really help with the DESMOND stuff, although i've been on a half day course with a nurse and dietitian in relation to my type 2 diabetes. However my diabetes nurse gave me a blood testing kit, albeit the lancets are crap. They gave me a 'True You' blood testing kit. On the advice of someone else i bought an 'Accu-chek' lancet thingy which is much better so i combine the Accu-chek lancet with the true you glucose strips and monitor. Although i've just been told recently i don't need to test myself anymore and that i won't be getting any more glucose testing strips. 

Never heard of Desmond ? What is it ? Lloyds pharmacy do blood glucose tests at £15 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Losing weight without trying to would be a cracking symptom, to be fair. 

It’s often a symptom of most steroids diseases 

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s often a symptom of most steroids diseases 

I've always thought i must have it or something similar. 

I'm always tired, regardless of how much sleep i've had. 

It could be many things, i suppose. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've always thought i must have it or something similar. 

I'm always tired, regardless of how much sleep i've had. 

It could be many things, i suppose. 

Yes multitude of things . Maybe low on vitamin d too ? 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes multitude of things . Maybe low on vitamin d too ? 

Funny you should say that. I started taking vitamin d tablets about a week ago. 

Probably not long enough to notice a difference yet. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Funny you should say that. I started taking vitamin d tablets about a week ago. 

Probably not long enough to notice a difference yet. 

No it takes a while I think . They were recommended last year to ward off covid too . 

• 2 months later...
Jambo-Jimbo

Just had the results from my 3 monthly HbA1c test, I was previously 92mmol/mol (10.6%) and have now come down to 70mmol/mol (8.6%), still on the high side but GP is happy that things are going in the right direction.  I've also lost another half stone in weight in the last 3 months, that's now a stone in the last year, best of all I'm not dieting, all I'm doing is slightly smaller portion sizes and watching what I eat, have also cut back on my beer consumption, instead of having 2 or 3 beers a night, I'm now having one, so it's just wee changes here and there and things seem to be improving.

As for the Metformin, I've had a helluva time with these, but mostly fine now with only minor side effects now and again, GP says they should wear off as time goes on, hopefully.

I am feeling much better now than I did when my diabetes was raging out of control, I just feel a lot better.

Back in 3 months time for another HbA1c test, hopefully my levels will have dropped again, here's hoping.

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just had the results from my 3 monthly HbA1c test, I was previously 92mmol/mol (10.6%) and have now come down to 70mmol/mol (8.6%), still on the high side but GP is happy that things are going in the right direction.  I've also lost another half stone in weight in the last 3 months, that's now a stone in the last year, best of all I'm not dieting, all I'm doing is slightly smaller portion sizes and watching what I eat, have also cut back on my beer consumption, instead of having 2 or 3 beers a night, I'm now having one, so it's just wee changes here and there and things seem to be improving.

As for the Metformin, I've had a helluva time with these, but mostly fine now with only minor side effects now and again, GP says they should wear off as time goes on, hopefully.

I am feeling much better now than I did when my diabetes was raging out of control, I just feel a lot better.

Back in 3 months time for another HbA1c test, hopefully my levels will have dropped again, here's hoping.

Well done .  👍 you ever thought about the “ intermittent fasting diet “ ? It’s a fasting diet which can help with people with pre diabetes . 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well done .  👍 you ever thought about the “ intermittent fasting diet “ ? It’s a fasting diet which can help with people with pre diabetes . 

Too late for that as I'm not pre-diabetic, as I am fully diabetic now.

Well I should get some news next week. Had a blood test in March and blood sugar was high, have an appointment for a blood test next  Monday, hope it is lower, doctor advised she was concerned about diabetes. Lost my sugar supervisor, so had been going a bit stupid on candies and chocolates and other sweet desserts, so we will see if my self deprivation has had any success. If not que sera sera whatever will be will be.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Too late for that as I'm not pre-diabetic, as I am fully diabetic now.

Oh sorry didn’t read it correctly but I think you can control it to a certain level where you might not need meds ? Anyway losing weight is never a bad thing . I mean deliberated losing of weight . Has many Benifits