The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

22 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

I am English and moved to Edinburgh when I was 5. I am 56 and support Hearts, Scotland and England. The level of hatred I have encountered to England is astonishing.  The English do not perceive Scotland in this manner at all. 

It is appalling that you have to experience that. 

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

5 minutes ago, smiler said:

Weirdly, Linekar can't eat Walkers crisps, there's a specific ingredient that they use and when he eats them he has an allergic reaction and his throat closes up and he can't breathe. Ironically the crisps you see him eat in the adverts are actually Golden Wonder.

:D Sounds like an urban myth to me (particularly because of the Golden Wonder bit). Of course, if you can come up with any sort of link or evidence to back it up, I'll eat humble pie (to which I am not allergic, fortunately given how much of it I've had to eat over the years).

14 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Yes they do.

They also have this weird obsession with Germany that the Germans really do not understand. 

Scotland have a clear jealous obsession with England

England have a competitive ideology with Germany

Edited by DaveyT
Mistake

1 minute ago, DaveyT said:

Scotland have a clear jealous obsession with Scotland.

Jealous of ourselves? Typical of us.

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Do you not find that the hatred is less than it used to be? I do anyway. If this were 20-30 years ago, you would get very few Scots even willing to contemplate being comfortable with England winning. Looks like we're finally getting that chip off our collective shoulder. About fecking time too, I say.

Yes, I’d agree with this. I’m Scottish, my son is Scottish, and once again I was singing “Three Lions” to him today and also “World in Motion” for the first time, which he certainly appeared to enjoy. I don’t mind if they do win it, do I care if anyone lambasts me for having this opinion? Nope. Do I enjoy the way the English media carry on? Nope. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter a ****? Nah.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

Yes, I’d agree with this. I’m Scottish, my son is Scottish, and once again I was singing “Three Lions” to him today and also “World in Motion” for the first time, which he certainly appeared to enjoy. I don’t mind if they do win it, do I care if anyone lambasts me for having this opinion? Nope. Do I enjoy the way the English media carry on? Nope. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter a ****? Nah.

Yup, that's roughly my tack. I don't particularly want England to win (I lived for several years in France so would like "Les Bleus" to win or, failing, that Belgium because I love their style of football) but if they do win, it won't be any skin off my nose. In fact, I will be happy that all my English friends are happy. The media are zoomers and there are always going to be English fans who overdo it with the celebrating, but these things are not new. And I genuinely do like Gareth Southgate.

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Calling you on talking shite. FFS.

Double speak!!!

Me thinks Orangeman speaks with forked tongue!

Randy Marsh
36 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

I agree it is not as bad but as it was.  I had my England top on in the pub in Saturday and the only abuse I got was from a Celtic fan. Says it all

To be fair you deserved abuse not for being an England fan but for wearing a football top.  Especially in a pub.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

This is an astonishing comment. I really hope you can try and find a sense of perspective Colin.

England will not win the world cup but if they ever did nothing bad would happen. You know the rest mate 

What's astonishing about the truth!

Old man, for his own reasons, wanted Germany to win.  Reason, he was brassed of with the English media and their jingoistic clap trap.  Think about that for a moment before you make astonishing comments like that.

(NB After they won in 66, he said, "We'll be hearing about this for the next 50 years!")

I had an uncle, on the other hand, who suffered at the hands of the Japanese and would never for one minute think of buying any Japanese products.

It's all right for later generations to poopoo the strength of feeling of that generation, why, because it doesn't fit in with their experience as displayed in their lack of knowledge of that context? 

7 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

To be fair you deserved abuse not for being an England fan but for wearing a football top.  Especially in a pub.

I assume that it was during the England game? An exception to your rule that should be allowed, surely. ;)

33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Sounds like an urban myth to me (particularly because of the Golden Wonder bit). Of course, if you can come up with any sort of link or evidence to back it up, I'll eat humble pie (to which I am not allergic, fortunately given how much of it I've had to eat over the years).

It’s not had the chance to get to urban myth level yet, mainly due to the fact that I just made it up 40 or so minutes ago :lol:

MacDonald Jardine
18 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Double speak!!!

Me thinks Orangeman speaks with forked tongue!

Explain. 

Randy Marsh
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I assume that it was during the England game? An exception to your rule that should be allowed, surely. ;)

Maybe if he was 10 years old, playing 5's or had actually been in Russia at the match.  Otherwise nah.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

It’s not had the chance to get to urban myth level yet, mainly due to the fact that I just made it up 40 or so minutes ago :lol:

:D

f3dea057f62e97a52929950408a35623.jpg

1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

Maybe if he was 10 years old, playing 5's or had actually been in Russia at the match.  Otherwise nah.

Harsh. :)

41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup, that's roughly my tack. I don't particularly want England to win (I lived for several years in France so would like "Les Bleus" to win or, failing, that Belgium because I love their style of football) but if they do win, it won't be any skin off my nose. In fact, I will be happy that all my English friends are happy. The media are zoomers and there are always going to be English fans who overdo it with the celebrating, but these things are not new. And I genuinely do like Gareth Southgate.

Yep, agree with all of that, apart from the living in France bit, as I haven’t!

32 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I had it in on during the game supporting my team in the quarter finals of the world cup. Is that not allowed ?

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I had it on for the game yes

1 hour ago, DaveyT said:

Are we talking football or world wars here ? 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

After they won in 66, he said, "We'll be hearing about this for the next 50 years!"

And he was right. The Scots have never stopped going on about it since. :P

Incidentally: the opening to the Uruguayan TV coverage of the World Cup has a montage of its history. Starting with Bobby Moore in you-know-when. When I saw that, I pictured you. Seething away as only you can. :) 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

And he was right. The Scots have never stopped going on about it since. :P

Incidentally: the opening to the Uruguayan TV coverage of the World Cup has a montage of its history. Starting with Bobby Moore in you-know-when. When I saw that, I pictured you. Seething away as only you can. :) 

Did lots of exclamation marks float in front of your eyes? I associate Colin with exclamation marks - I can just picture his keyboard with the keys all in fairly good nick apart from the exclamation mark key which is faded away almost completely and lying at a sad angle, almost out of its socket, having been battered mercilessly over the years. ;)

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Did lots of exclamation marks float in front of your eyes? I associate Colin with exclamation marks - I can just picture his keyboard with the keys all in fairly good nick apart from the exclamation mark key which is faded away almost completely and lying at a sad angle, almost out of its socket, having been battered mercilessly over the years. ;)

I couldn't possibly comment. :D

Screen_shot_2010-04-29_at_13.29.57_400x4

Wasn't that fussed if they win it or not. Started off the tournament quite humble with their young squad and Southgate came over well.

But having seen all the fan videos as tournaments progressed (riot police benidorm having to be brought out, boy jumping on police van in russia, IKEA smashed up, jumping on top of emergency vehicles and buses, jumping and throwing stuff off a bridge in Spain) I hope they hibs it by epic proportions.

No doubt every team has their idiot fans but they seem to have it on a wide scale.

I want Croatia to do them. Failing that a complete humiliation in the final would be nice.

I was in the snug in the Leamington hotel in 1970 I think it was watching England play W Germany in the WC.  Before the game even started, the boss told 3 or 4 youngsters to leave.  The had been coming out with pro German and anti English verbals.

The boss told me later he wasn't just worried the older guys would start fighting with them.  He was worried they would kill them.  Many of course had lost mates to the Germans.

SectionDJambo

Due to my working shifts, I haven't seen much of the tournament. So I haven't had to listen to pundits and commentators, as others have.

The unfortunate, and unique thing, about the UK is that we have to share tv coverage. So we, in Scotland, have to listen and watch English media getting excited, as they are well entitled to be, about the chances of their national team winning the world cup. This usually starts in a quiet fashion but then cranks up at an alarming rate as the tournament progresses. You try to watch another channel to let them get on with it, and some other prat on that channel has to mention it too. It gets to the point when you just wish England were out, so that you could hear about other teams, without England being mentioned. 

In many cases, it is an anti English feeling that hopes they lose as soon as possible. In many more cases, in my opinion, it's just that you want all the crowing and jingoism to stop. It's like hoping the rain comes on to put an end to next door's bbq, because you have had to listen to them starting quietly, but then as the drink flows, they get louder and louder, and you just want it to stop.

If this were Scotland in this position, ridiculous but imagine it, the English people would not have to listen to our eejits, like Young and the Aberdeen media mafia. They would have their programme and us ours. They have no idea what it's like to have to listen to "noisy neighbours".

If England do win this world cup, it would be poetic justice for them, though, having been pretty much shafted by Blatter and his gang for hosting it in the first place.

Prepare to turn off the telly, it could very well happen.

Nelly Terraces

Can England win it? Obviously not easy, but they certainly have a pretty good chance. The manager has to be applauded for pulling together an actual TEAM with a good spirit about it & playing to the players strengths. Fair play to the bloke & all involved, including his players, who seem a fairly down to earth bunch (as much as overpaid young men can be). 

Contrast with Scotland - I couldn't honestly see us beating any of the sides at this World Cup. And I mean not a single one. We are so far behind what's required it's frightening. Not qualified for anything in 20 years & have virtually zero chance of doing so if it continues to be run how it is. It's a ****ing shambles.

11 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

What's astonishing about the truth!

Old man, for his own reasons, wanted Germany to win.  Reason, he was brassed of with the English media and their jingoistic clap trap.  Think about that for a moment before you make astonishing comments like that.

(NB After they won in 66, he said, "We'll be hearing about this for the next 50 years!")

I had an uncle, on the other hand, who suffered at the hands of the Japanese and would never for one minute think of buying any Japanese products.

It's all right for later generations to poopoo the strength of feeling of that generation, why, because it doesn't fit in with their experience as displayed in their lack of knowledge of that context? 

Colin, annoying English media against the death and horror of war don't equate. I say again, try and put this in the correct context. 

14 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Absolute scum.

What's your point?

Thoughts on the Orangemen in Glasgow that spat in face of the Catholic Priest at the weekend?

Are they absolute scum too?

18 hours ago, Taffin said:

Midlands. Field based for work  though so Gatwick to Newcastle and all inbetween on a regular basis.

In my experience, they just don't really care about how Scotland do, they aren't desperate for us to lose in the way we are with them but they wouldn't exactly be sitting down to watch and cheer us on. Varies person to person obviously, same as anywhere, there is no common approach but the idea of them cheering their fellow Brits on is a fallacy in the main.

Midlanders are a funny bunch...!

Maybe my experience is biased as I am in an area where rugby and football are on an equal footing - but so many people I know that are English are quite put out about the hate from us.

They say they’d support us before the Welsh every day of the week.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Due to my working shifts, I haven't seen much of the tournament. So I haven't had to listen to pundits and commentators, as others have.

The unfortunate, and unique thing, about the UK is that we have to share tv coverage. So we, in Scotland, have to listen and watch English media getting excited, as they are well entitled to be, about the chances of their national team winning the world cup. This usually starts in a quiet fashion but then cranks up at an alarming rate as the tournament progresses. You try to watch another channel to let them get on with it, and some other prat on that channel has to mention it too. It gets to the point when you just wish England were out, so that you could hear about other teams, without England being mentioned. 

In many cases, it is an anti English feeling that hopes they lose as soon as possible. In many more cases, in my opinion, it's just that you want all the crowing and jingoism to stop. It's like hoping the rain comes on to put an end to next door's bbq, because you have had to listen to them starting quietly, but then as the drink flows, they get louder and louder, and you just want it to stop.

If this were Scotland in this position, ridiculous but imagine it, the English people would not have to listen to our eejits, like Young and the Aberdeen media mafia. They would have their programme and us ours. They have no idea what it's like to have to listen to "noisy neighbours".

If England do win this world cup, it would be poetic justice for them, though, having been pretty much shafted by Blatter and his gang for hosting it in the first place.

Prepare to turn off the telly, it could very well happen.

My point is that with England’s draw we’d have been the same.

A Scotland team worth its salt could have beaten every team England has.

We’d be going  ****ng tonto at the moment saying we could actually win it. Anyone that denies that is a fantasist.

Edited by Jammy T

12 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Utter drivel

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

We’d be going  ****ng tonto at the moment saying we could actually win it. Anyone that denies that is a fantasist.

78 stopped any future Scottish counting of chickens. 

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

There’s no doubt that England have got lucky with the draw. And they could get lucky in the final too. That’s how it happens in football, sometimes. Things just fall into place, like our cup run in 1998?

3 home draws against lower league opponents, then Falkirk instead of the old firm in the semi final. Then we get a penalty in the first minute of the final, and they don’t get one at 2-1. Willie Young said at the recent celebration, that he was giving the penalty to Rangers, then saw his linesman signaling outside the box.

Better to be a lucky team than the best one sometimes.

Turkishcap

Talking to one of my English friends last night and he said he could not bring himself to support Wales at anything.

I like the England cricket and Rugby league teams winning. Fitbaw and Union can gtf. 

Edited by ri Alban

Far too many sensitive Scots. We would be insufferable if we reached the World Cup semi finals. 

I dont hate England. I also don’t want to see them win it. 

At the end of the day, England's greatest day was winning the world cup. Ours is sitting on the ball and beating them a year later. Kinda sums it all up. I also think it is getting more political now. The Tartan Army is decreasing, our crowds are decreasing and general apathy is at an all time high. Seems to mainly be a bunch of nationalists that still truly care.

6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Far too many sensitive Scots. We would be insufferable if we reached the World Cup semi finals. 

I dont hate England. I also don’t want to see them win it. 

We have not stopped going on a out a solo wonder goal from 40 years ago. A game and goal that in the end meant **** all.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Love english people. Got lots of English friends and family. But as it becomes a genuine possibility that England could actually win it I don't think I could cope with the media and gloating english people all over Edinburgh. I'm sorry I don't know why. Because I've never booed god save the Queen. I've never been part of the anyone but England brigade. Theirs been occasions when I've supported England. You might say im actually rather fond of them lot down south. And if they were playing Russia instead of Croatia then I'd definitely be supporting England. But that's not the case so I shall be supporting Croatia and hoping for a Belgium v Croatia final! 

Maybe just deep down I am a bitter Scot with a chip on his shoulder? Hmmm...

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

Dalstonjambo

As always comes up when this comes up is the people who are unable to differentiate between a sporting rivalry and genuine hatred. My wife is English, my 2 children were born here. I've lived here since i was a child. I've even got an English accent. I hope they lose every game they play. 

It's nothing to do with being a 'bitter jock'. It's because they are our closest and oldest sporting rival. No right minded HMFC fan supports h1b5 in europe do they? So why would I support England? 

As for the English with their 'but i would support Scotland if they were in it and England weren't. These are not people who attend England games, or have a close affiliation to a club on the whole. Not one match attending English person I know wants us to ever win. And so they shouldn't. That's because we are rivals. What did the England fans sing as they were hammering Panama? 'Are you Scotland in disguise?' - Fair enough. 

Class of 75
21 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wanting England to win is like wanting the Hobos to win.

Is that hard to comprehend?

No not at all. I hate the Hobos with a passion and want them to fail every time. I am Scottish and proud of being so. However, I see myself as British and have no real hatred of England or their football team. Yes I get fed up of the media and the way they carry on but them doing well in the World Cup does not bother me. Neither would it bother me if one of the other 2 nations which make up the UK do well in a tournament. What bothers me most is that by hoping England do well you are classed as a Rangers supporter and all that goes with it. I appreciate and enjoy the rivalry, but  I don't like anti English sentiment in the extreme which often masks anti British feelings which given our unique and important history is hypocritical.

10 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

No not at all. I hate the Hobos with a passion and want them to fail every time. I am Scottish and proud of being so. However, I see myself as British and have no real hatred of England or their football team. Yes I get fed up of the media and the way they carry on but them doing well in the World Cup does not bother me. Neither would it bother me if one of the other 2 nations which make up the UK do well in a tournament. What bothers me most is that by hoping England do well you are classed as a Rangers supporter and all that goes with it. I appreciate and enjoy the rivalry, but  I don't like anti English sentiment in the extreme which often masks anti British feelings which given our unique and important history is hypocritical.

Sorry, but you clearly don't get it...

Can you please confirm why wanting England to lose is being Anti-English...or hating the English?

It appears you're also unable to differentiate between 'hating' something...and sporting rivalry.