The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Oh right, was that cuddles they were giving the TA at Euro 96.

England have hooligans. 

No shock there.

Do you want Edinburgh to be judged on the acts of football casuals?

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

MacDonald Jardine
16 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I know I've gone off topic here but tbh I wish both cheeks would **** off!! 

It went off topic when you introduced references to Rangers in a thread about England at the World Cup. 

Bazzas right boot

More support for england on here than for our own national team. 

However, I'm actually finding this England team not to like. 

However, I also don't want them to win it for a few reasons, firstly the media - bawbags, 2nd_ rangers fans, 3rd- they aren't very good, 4thly - English nationalism will go into hyperdrive and spill over into politics and particularly brexit. 

They do have a chance, and if they did win it I'd be happy for the English folk I know and confused for the Scots who will celebrate the victory. 

I will also laugh if they get beat! 

Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

It went off topic when you introduced references to Rangers in a thread about England at the World Cup. 

The only Scots(loosely) supporting England that I've come across are Rangers supporters. 

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

FFS I didn’t think I’d see Hibs win the Scottish Cup in my lifetime and when I did that was grim, but can you imagine what it would be like if England win this World Cup?!

Indeed. 

This is the least wankerish squad I can remember but I still hate listening to the media about them. Send them home soon please

MacDonald Jardine
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The only Scots(loosely) supporting England that I've come across are Rangers supporters. 

And I find that uber unionist thing utterly embarrassing. 

To equate that to all Rangers fans though is wrong.

In any event I'm not one of them. 

colinmaroon
2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

oI was always under the impression Baddiel and Skinner thought football's coming home to mean the game was coming home, as in England were hosting a tournament. I don't think it ever referred to bringing trophies home. 

It seems to now!

Therein lies the arrogance of the English psyche when it comes to "nationalism."  If you doubt that, go round Europe and when someone thinks you are English and they find out your a Scot, quantum leap in attitude.

I can only speak for Italy, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, what was Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Morocco, Egypt - but, of course you can find exceptions like Malta, where they go apes**t on England.

By way of qualification, obviously, Rangers supporters are more English than Scottish, and Celtic supporters are Irish, or Palestinian, or whatever fills their tiny bigoted minds at the time, and I can say, I have had very negative feedback in Spain particularly about the Uglies!

MacDonald Jardine
Just now, colinmaroon said:

It seems to now!

Therein lies the arrogance of the English psyche when it comes to "nationalism."  If you doubt that, go round Europe and when someone thinks you are English and they find out your a Scot, quantum leap in attitude.

I can only speak for Italy, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, what was Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Morocco, Egypt - but, of course you can find exceptions like Malta, where they go apes**t on England.

By way of qualification, obviously, Rangers supporters are more English than Scottish, and Celtic supporters are Irish, or Palestinian, or whatever fills their tiny bigoted minds at the time, and I can say, I have had very negative feedback in Spain particularly about the Uglies!

This is just so much nonsense, about both Rangers and Celtic. 

15 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

It is not a self-perpetuating myth.  It's not a myth at all.

Okay, because they're doing well, not a lot has been said, as in previous World Cups (superstition?) but, there was a montage of scenes from English matches in this World on TV the other day and, lo and behold, in the middle of it '66!

I met my dear wife the week before they won in 66', which saves the year for me but, it has been a constant drip feed for most of the last 52 years.

Celebrating by smashing ambulances because they've got to a semi-final???

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/national/wild-scenes-on-streets-after-england-win/ar-AAzJKrF?ocid=spartandhp

Terrible that that happened but if you want to help the MSC have set up a just giving page to pay for the damage.

Unfortunately beer, Sun and football can some times lead to young men, and women, behaving badly. We've all seen disgraceful behavior in Scotland before.

On the other point, so what really. If you go looking for things to offend you then you'll find them. but being offended by mention of England winning the world cup in 66 is a new one on me.

10 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

And I find that uber unionist thing utterly embarrassing. 

To equate that to all Rangers fans though is wrong.

In any event I'm not one of them. 

MJ, you and I know what it's like, we've seen it. You're right it might not be all, but it's in the same ballpark as the minority :ninja: who sing sectarian folk songs at ibroke. 

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

MJ, you and I know what it's like, we've seen it. You're right it might not be all, but it's in the same ballpark as the minority :ninja: who sing sectarian folk songs at ibroke. 

I actually don't think it is.

I'd wager there's far more sing folk songs, as you put it, than support England. 

15 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I actually don't think it is.

I'd wager there's far more sing folk songs, as you put it, than support England. 

OK, fine, you might be right. But some folk seem to be actively going against Scotland because of 2014. 

Edited by ri Alban

It's possible England could win this whole tournament, and if they do fair play to them.  They've not really played anyone of note as yet, so will be interesting to see how Croatia do. The way England set up may suit Croatia, given Argentina allowed them to play, whereas Denmark and Russia both packed the midfield, kind of nullifying Rakitic and Modric.

That said, it's not England's fault the draw has been kind to them, however it doesn't suddenly make them world beaters.

1 minute ago, Boris said:

It's possible England could win this whole tournament, and if they do fair play to them.  They've not really played anyone of note as yet, so will be interesting to see how Croatia do. The way England set up may suit Croatia, given Argentina allowed them to play, whereas Denmark and Russia both packed the midfield, kind of nullifying Rakitic and Modric.

That said, it's not England's fault the draw has been kind to them, however it doesn't suddenly make them world beaters.

Portugal 2016 were, to me, the worst winners of any tournament . If England win they'll be on a par.  But hey, they win they win. 

Edited by ri Alban

MacDonald Jardine
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

OK, fine, you might be right. But some folk seem to be actively going against Scotland because of 2014. 

Yes I agree with this and can't comprehend it.

It's as bad as the more extreme Nationalists. 

Nookie Bear

The angst every time England play is highly amusing. 

Fear not, it is unlikely England will win because France and Belgium are both stronger on their day, but perhaps one more week of torment until we all find out. 

Then we can all stop moanin at the English ramming their football down our throats, before tuning in to Sky Sports for another EPIC EPL kick off. 

Gonna be great!

21 hours ago, cliffdanum said:

Concentrate on Hearts...who give a shag shit bout ungershite...

This is incedibly hard to follow.

20 hours ago, Yoda said:

You must, that's why you've posted on this thread.

C'mon England!

:spoton: 

18 hours ago, cliffdanum said:

Yes Yoda...I bow to fact u know y I post and what I think...did u grow up watching Fraser by chance..

So is this.

Who is Fraser btw?  Serious question.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

This is just so much nonsense, about both Rangers and Celtic. 

Calling me a liar then?

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Calling me a liar then?

Calling you on talking shite. FFS.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Terrible that that happened but if you want to help the MSC have set up a just giving page to pay for the damage.

Unfortunately beer, Sun and football can some times lead to young men, and women, behaving badly. We've all seen disgraceful behavior in Scotland before.

On the other point, so what really. If you go looking for things to offend you then you'll find them. but being offended by mention of England winning the world cup in 66 is a new one on me.

Typical!

Where did I say I was offended by them winning it?  . It has been the constant "We are the people," down through the years and, while we're at it, what's all the "Coming home" nonsense?

Context is everything and when you think my old man was a prisoner of war for five years and he wanted Germany to win in 66, because of the media crap leading up to the final and beyond. 

rick witter
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

It seems to now!

Cmon England ??????? 

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Portugal 2016 were, to me, the worst winners of any tournament . If England win they'll be on a par.  But hey, they win they win. 

Greece were honking. 

Used set pieces well..... 

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Greece were honking. 

Used set pieces well..... 

Greece were probably the worst winners ever of a major tournament. 

Still can't think badly of them given we got Fyssas. 

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Yup, I see the story has evolved since last night.

Jings.

It's a bit of a fuss about nothing as far as I can see.

Scummy behaviour, but you get that in any number of situations. 

ToadKiller Dog

Just seen the footage from Nottingham with two England fans smashing up a taxi.

My advice to anybody with any sort of Eastern European accent who lives in England stay in doors if Croatia win. 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Special Agent Dale Cooper
8 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Just seen the footage from Nottingham with two England fans smashing up a taxi.

My advice to anybody with any sort of Eastern European accent who lives in England stay in doors if Croatia win. 

Or if they lose... What's the Croatian version of IKEA?

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

It's a bit of a fuss about nothing as far as I can see.

Scummy behaviour, but you get that in any number of situations. 

you do change to suit

Can you post some of your comments about hibs fans behaviour after they invaded the pitch and then compare it to your comments above? 

I remember you being particularly outraged at thier behaviour. 

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

you do change to suit

Can you post some of your comments about hibs fans behaviour after they invaded the pitch and then compare it to your comments above? 

I remember you being particularly outraged at thier behaviour. 

Do you? I don't. It's hardly the same thing though.  A few neds on the piss in some arsehole of England versus thousands on the pitch in our national final.

I thought you'd given up defending Hibs but apparently not.

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

No surprise really, their forward play is so daal to watch  and they’ve naan of the quality defenders they used to have.

They would kor ma cropper if they ever played a quality team

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Do you? I don't. It's hardly the same thing though.  A few neds on the piss in some arsehole of England versus thousands on the pitch in our national final.

I thought you'd given up defending Hibs but apparently not.

Just pointing out your glaring contradiction in attitudes. 

Don't see how I defended hibs in that post at all tbh. 

Hibs invade pitch- outrage, disgusting etc. 

England fans smashing up taxis, ambulances and a shop--you become a reasoned, balanced person. 

Who'd have funk it! 

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Just pointing out your glaring contradiction in attitudes. 

Don't see how I defended hibs in that post at all tbh. 

Hibs invade pitch- outrage, disgusting etc. 

England fans smashing up taxis, ambulances and a shop--you become a reasoned, balanced person. 

Who'd have funk it! 

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

Both are plainly wrong. 

One is slightly higher scale than the other though. 

I'm actually amazed you want to talk about that Final again though. You've gone very quiet about it.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

Both are plainly wrong. 

One is slightly higher scale than the other though. 

I'm actually amazed you want to talk about that Final again though. You've gone very quiet about it.

Not wanting to talk about any final. 

Just highlighting that your opinion seems to change depending on who is the matter of discussion. 

England/ rangers you seem very balanced and almost defensive of their actions. 

Hibs, celtic  you are very aggressive. 

You may have valid points, but for me they are lost as your personal agenda shines through on threads like these. 

Shame. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Just highlighting that your opinion seems to change depending on who is the matter of discussion. 

You may have valid points, but for me they are lost as your personal agenda shines through on threads like these. 

Shame. 

Good post.

3 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

More support for england on here than for our own national team. 

However, I'm actually finding this England team not to like. 

However, I also don't want them to win it for a few reasons, firstly the media - bawbags, 2nd_ rangers fans, 3rd- they aren't very good, 4thly - English nationalism will go into hyperdrive and spill over into politics and particularly brexit. 

They do have a chance, and if they did win it I'd be happy for the English folk I know and confused for the Scots who will celebrate the victory. 

I will also laugh if they get beat! 

If I was Nicola Sturgeon, i'd be praying for England to win it.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Boab said:

If I was Nicola Sturgeon, i'd be praying for England to win it.

Not as much as May. 

A good gladiator show distracts the plebs from the real issues of the day. 

upgotheheads

England are the best organised side in the competition, they're getting stronger every game, they have enough flair and good all round ability.

France and Belgium are very similar in quality and style to each other, but neither defend as well as England imo.

I'm in France and will be here for the final, I'm hoping it's France v  England which would be a great occasion here. I'll be supporting...

FRANCE!

MacDonald Jardine
30 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Shame. 

Absolute nonsense. 

And to me Rangers are absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. 

Neddish behaviour is exactly that no matter who commits it.

To suggest though that a few folk causing problems in a wee town in England is the same as thousands invading the pitch and breaking the posts in the national cup final is in any way comparable is just nonsense. 

And before you mention it as a kid I loved Wembley in 1977.

9 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Absolute nonsense. 

And to me Rangers are absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. 

Neddish behaviour is exactly that no matter who commits it.

To suggest though that a few folk causing problems in a wee town in England is the same as thousands invading the pitch and breaking the posts in the national cup final is in any way comparable is just nonsense. 

And before you mention it as a kid I loved Wembley in 1977.

Manchester 2008 UEFA Cup Final...thoughts about Rangers fans?

Edited by Deviskan

2 hours ago, Boris said:

It does if they win it ?

1 minute ago, PTBCAL said:

It does if they win it ?

Haha, yes, I suppose it does, but like any cup competition it's all down to on the day. 

But for arguments sake, Belgium have beaten England and Brazil. France have beaten Argentina and Uruguay. Croatia, Denmark and Russia, Argentina in the group. England have Colombia and Sweden which kind of pales in comparison. Yet, as I say, you can only beat what's in front of you. 

However, to win it, they will need yo beat two very good sides, the quality of which they haven't faced yet. And if they do, fair play. 

MacDonald Jardine
27 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Manchester 2008 UEFA Cup Final...thoughts about Rangers fans?

Absolute scum.

What's your point?

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Typical!

Where did I say I was offended by them winning it?  . It has been the constant "We are the people," down through the years and, while we're at it, what's all the "Coming home" nonsense?

Context is everything and when you think my old man was a prisoner of war for five years and he wanted Germany to win in 66, because of the media crap leading up to the final and beyond. 

This is an astonishing comment. I really hope you can try and find a sense of perspective Colin.

England will not win the world cup but if they ever did nothing bad would happen. You know the rest mate 

As much as I will dislike the aftermath in the media, and as much as I dislike the whole “Ingerlund/British bulldog/Kebab & Bar fight section of their fans...I hope they win it.

As a football fan, and from that perspective, I’ve been impressed how they’ve went about things.  I like the squad, I like the manager, and the route to the final takes nothing away from the achievement if they pull it off.  

I suspect they won’t get passed Croatia, who are a very decent side, but if they do, and if they win it, I’ll be very content and impressed with that.

Similarly, I’d like to see both Hibs and Aberdeen do well in the Europa league.  I’d like to see Celtic get to the group stages of the Champions League, if not further.

My enthusiasm for seeing British sides doing well against European/International opposition does NOT extend to The Ranger 2014.  

I make no apology for any of this.

I am English and moved to Edinburgh when I was 5. I am 56 and support Hearts, Scotland and England. The level of hatred I have encountered to England is astonishing.  The English do not perceive Scotland in this manner at all. 

10 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

I am English and moved to Edinburgh when I was 5. I am 56 and support Hearts, Scotland and England. The level of hatred I have encountered to England is astonishing.  The English do not perceive Scotland in this manner at all. 

Do you not find that the hatred is less than it used to be? I do anyway. If this were 20-30 years ago, you would get very few Scots even willing to contemplate being comfortable with England winning. Looks like we're finally getting that chip off our collective shoulder. About fecking time too, I say.

indianajones
19 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

Yes they do.

They also have this weird obsession with Germany that the Germans really do not understand. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Do you not find that the hatred is less than it used to be? I do anyway. If this were 20-30 years ago, you would get very few Scots even willing to contemplate being comfortable with England winning. Looks like we're finally getting that chip off our collective shoulder. About fecking time too, I say.

I agree it is not as bad but as it was.  I had my England top on in the pub in Saturday and the only abuse I got was from a Celtic fan. Says it all

11 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

lineker ,hope he chokes on his next bag of crisps

Weirdly, Linekar can't eat Walkers crisps, there's a specific ingredient that they use and when he eats them he has an allergic reaction and his throat closes up and he can't breathe. Ironically the crisps you see him eat in the adverts are actually Golden Wonder.