The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The English plane will be coming back that much is true.

Sadly Hearts don't play in the World Cup so the trophy can't come home to the home of football. 

Amazing thing about English. After being thrashed royally by Scottish for years after inventing the game and literally having billions of pounds thrown at their game unless you are 52 or over the rest of us have not seen the English team do anything of note.

All a bit of a national disgrace really. But the triumphalism should not surprise us. The 2005 Ashes parade and MBEs en masse was utterly cringeworthy.

But to finish on a positive. Great to see the minor nations have some success 

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

been here before

For the first time in many tournaments I dont think Id mind an England win.

Southgate and his team all seem down to earth, not shouting and bawling about how great they are. Even the press seem a little more subdued- until this week no doubt. For the first time in a long time its an England team playing like a team. Kane aside theres no real stand out players.

Id be happy enough for their real fans but draw the line at these holes who crop up every few years at a big screen in Nottingham city centre or some other provincial market square jumping and screaming like lunatics when there's a goal, trying to out celebrate each other. Tools.

Southgate is fast becoming one of the few people in football I listen to.

The media aftermath of them winning is not something Id care to ponder.

Arise Sir Gareth...

:facepalm:

Edited by been here before

Bluesy1874

Personally think the winner of Belgium vs France will be too strong for whoever else makes it to the final. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
Just now, Der Kaiser said:

I'd take England winning......if the Royal Family was abolished the day after.

:kirk:

I'd carry Kane home.

jambopilms

There is no fact to the phrase it's coming home anyway. I'm sure there are a few country's claiming to have invented football. Just because it's in a catchy song or half of England are now brainlessly repeating the phase doesn't make it true or mean they are actually winning anything. It has turned into this years WATP. Meaningless and for the hard of thinking.

Edited by jambopilms

TyphoonJambo
11 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'd take England winning......if the Royal Family was abolished the day after.

:kirk:

As a royalist I’ll have to agree to disagree, one of the great options we have. Love the queen, but still proud to be a Scot, an enigma I live with comfortably.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Some English fans ran amok in IKEA to celebrate. Twitter and Yahoo Sport

Unbelievable how easy their run to the semis has been with all the big teams avoided 

They'll Hibs it they always do 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
28 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Unbelievable how easy their run to the semis has been with all the big teams avoided 

They'll Hibs it they always do 

Even they lucked out eventually 

Tynecastlesmychurch

If it was England vs Russia in the final then yeah absolutely no doubt about it I'd be supporting England. (Down to the politics of the world right now)

I'm not one of the anyone but England crowd but I just can't be arsed with the smugness and gloating. And the media! If they win it were gonna have to hear about it constantly for months/ years/ decade's... Dare I say centuries on end... And it makes it harder to avoid it given the large english population in Edinburgh. 

So because of all that 

Mon the Belgium! 

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

cliffdanum

Yes Yoda...I bow to fact u know y I post and what I think...did u grow up watching Fraser by chance..

rudi must stay

Good luck to them. They have been a joy to watch and one of the best teams in this tournament so far IMO

Spellczech
2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

As a royalist I’ll have to agree to disagree, one of the great options we have. Love the queen, but still proud to be a Scot, an enigma I live with comfortably.

An anachronism we all live with. I don't really mind the idea of the Windsors as a tourist attraction and the Queen and a few of her family do a good job. The bit I dislike are the hangers on within her family like the Yorks, Kents and all the Harpers & Queen snobs of minor nobility and Establishment. Unfortunately, any replacement system is unlikely to be a true meritocracy and would be just as corrupt and vainglorious...

Fair play to them. If only our football team was not a bunch of failures. Wee Eck will see us fail for the next tournament.

England all the way for me.  Some of their supporters will be unbearable but not as unbearable as Lennon or Moffat.

Nowhere near in fact.

I don’t care.

I live down in England. My kids were born here.

I’ve met some top English people since I’ve lived here. I’ve been in English boozers when they have been willing Scotland on against other teams in the qualifiers.

If they win they win. They will never get a better chance.

As I see it, there will be a great atmosphere this week and if they get to the final i’ll be at Hyde Park for the day for Paul Simon’s last UK concert next Sunday and it will be a great day whatever.

N Lincs Jambo

Feckin hell, my best mate growing up was a Hibby but that didn’t make me want them to win the cup.

if you think of the other countries left in, ie France, Belgium or Croatia, are any of those countries as odious in a national sense as Rangers are in a club sense? Seems like a no-brainer to me unlike the SCF 2 years ago which was death by hanging v death by firing squad.

Mon the Croats on Weds!!!

Good luck to them it's no skin off my nose.

As far as I'm concerned they are no more relevant to me than France or Belgium or Croatia.

Konrad von Carstein

K'sake...after being in Deacon Brodies this afternoon where we and some bewildered tourists were in the company of some weegie (ra Gers fans?)  Orgasaming at every England forward move, I seriously hope it isn't coming anywhere near here...the phuk is wrong with theses people?

indianajones

This is shaping up ****ing beautifully for that shower to get pumped in the final.

Cannot wait to taste those salty, salty tears. 

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, bluesyDAjambo said:

Personally think the winner of Belgium vs France will be too strong for whoever else makes it to the final. 

My thoughts too 

It should have been ten

Would absolutely hate to see that lot win the World Cup! Can’t stand the cocky, arrogant, slavering bores. 

Then ‘I’m sitting there thinking’ they’ve no exactly shut up about 19:1222:66 for the past 52 years so wouldn’t make much difference anyway!

Edited by It should have been ten

The Internet

Today was their last chance at a 'typical England' joke exit from a major tournament. Now they've got over that anything can happen and I'm not too fussed about them. I'd put France as favourites but it's going to be two cracking semi finals, it's so open. Can't wait. 

Guest Paul Allen

FFS I didn’t think I’d see Hibs win the Scottish Cup in my lifetime and when I did that was grim, but can you imagine what it would be like if England win this World Cup?!

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

FFS I didn’t think I’d see Hibs win the Scottish Cup in my lifetime and when I did that was grim, but can you imagine what it would be like if England win this World Cup?!

Exactly where I am.

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

In all seriousness , hope England get to Final and get gubbed.

FTFY 

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, indianajones said:

This is shaping up ****ing beautifully for that shower to get pumped in the final.

Cannot wait to taste those salty, salty tears. 

Oh, the shame of it :laugh:

Class of 75
25 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

FTFY 

Nice reply. Here was me thinking I was on a Hearts supporters forum but it looks more Celtic and Hibs from these replies.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Fair play to them. If only our football team was not a bunch of failures. Wee Eck will see us fail for the next tournament.

And this is the crux of the whole thing: watching England do well is made 10x worse because Scotland are utterly abysmal these days.  It's exactly what happened to Hearts last season.

Seeing small nations like Belgium and Iceland perform is a pain as well, and the SFA need probed as to their plans for the next 20years. 

All Scotland have left is the hope England fans riot in Moscow so they can sit back and smugly remind everyone of their "best loved fans in the World" label, before scanning the media for any insinuation that those rioting fans have been referred to as "British" :mad:

Nookie Bear
13 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

The only three letters of the alphabet which matter just now ??

Shame the days of ABI have left this board for good, it seems.

sairyinthat

Three of Europe's Elite and One makeweight remain, the makeweight play Croatia in the Semi  Goodbye.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Shame the days of ABI have left this board for good, it seems.

Can’t remember last time India qualified tbh

Seymour M Hersh

I hope it doesn't "come home" (although i hadn't realised the world cup was started by England!). They would be a thousand times more unbearable (the media and commentators) than now and even 52 years on they're still crowing about 66!

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Can’t remember last time India qualified tbh

Says it all. A sad decline in standards. 

Do people seriously think that England fans would be supporting us in any form of sport ? 

absoluley not and rightly so . I hope they don't go on to win it just to ram it up the media but if they do fair play to them I'll neither cheer no r cry . 

They have been lucky with the draw in as much as they have been coming up against teams playing one up front and for that reason I can see them beating Croatia. 

If they meet Belgoum in the final they have half a chance but I can't see them beating France . Mpappie, Greizman and Giroud etc will put the England defence under serious pressure . 

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Says it all. A sad decline in standards. 

No surprise really, their forward play is so daal to watch  and they’ve naan of the quality defenders they used to have.

Edited by Frank1874

buzzbomb1958

I hope Engerland choke along with that preening A hole lineker ,hope he chokes on his next bag of crisps

Class of 75
19 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Do people seriously think that England fans would be supporting us in any form of sport ? 

absoluley not and rightly so . I hope they don't go on to win it just to ram it up the media but if they do fair play to them I'll neither cheer no r cry . 

They have been lucky with the draw in as much as they have been coming up against teams playing one up front and for that reason I can see them beating Croatia. 

If they meet Belgoum in the final they have half a chance but I can't see them beating France . Mpappie, Greizman and Giroud etc will put the England defence under serious pressure . 

England fans have and do support us. Don't believe the hatred nonsense you hear from the  bitter and twisted who would like you to think otherwise. To do so just supports their agenda.

Edited by Class of 75
Spelling

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I hope Engerland choke along with that preening A hole lineker ,hope he chokes on his next bag of crisps

And I take it you won't be fully behind Olly Lee or big Uche next season? Or is it because they play for Hearts makes them different?

buzzbomb1958
6 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

And I take it you won't be fully behind Olly Lee or big Uche next season? Or is it because they play for Hearts makes them different?

They have never got on my tits

Sooperstar

In celebration some England fans decided to climb onto an ambulance, cracking the windscreen and denting the bodywork, whilst a crowd of idiots cheered them on. What is wrong with these people?

There is also a video doing the rounds of one guy, apparently in Russia, who has done a similar thing to a Police van. Jumping up and down on the roof. Some other policemen happen to see it and quickly dish out retribution with their batons!

ToadKiller Dog

Video doing the rounds of the coming home folk making twatts of themselves in a IKEA store, thank feck they won or they might have burnt the place down.