• Adam Murray

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A better day for Colombia

Fernando Gaviria in first Tour stage won today so has Yellow Jersey 

20180707_145640.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

Bridge of Djoum

Uuugghhh, hate to do this but it's the dirtiest ''sport'' out there and barely worth watching anymore.

Just now, Cade said:

Day 2, nice weather, flat stage, easy peasy......

Lots of crashes and a couple of abadonments :cornette: 

Is Chris Novak Armstrong still in it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute carnage in the alps today.

Almost all of the big name the sprinters have now abandoned the race. Sagan must be smug as feck as he's more or less got no competition for the green jersey any more.

7 abandons today, if you count Uran's non-start.

All roads lead to Gorgie
47 minutes ago, Boof said:

Wondering how 'asthmatic' Geraint Thomas is going to turn out to be...

Two stages in a row. I would say very :D

Gutted for Vincenzo Nibali. Hope Sky let G go if he's got the better form. Imagine a Welsh winner of the TDF! 

Striking French farmers have blocked the road with hay bales and sprayed CS gas into the peloton.

Race was halted for a good long time while the Gendarmes restored order and riders got medical attention.

Absolute chaos. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Seems that the CS gas actually came from the Gendarmes who were trying to clear the farmers off the road 

:vrface: 

Just seen the highlights of that. It looks like Inspector Clouseau was involved in the incident :rofl:

Spoiler

Phillipe Gilbert's crash while leading the descent was pretty spectacular.

Just in case folk haven't seen today's action and are going to watch later.

On 24/07/2018 at 17:22, Boof said:
  Hide contents

Phillipe Gilbert's crash while leading the descent was pretty spectacular.

Just in case folk haven't seen today's action and are going to watch later.

In further proof these boys are tough as leather he finished the stage but had to pull out before todays stage with a broken kneecap. 

18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In further proof these boys are tough as leather he finished the stage but had to pull out before todays stage with a broken kneecap. 

Pretty amazing photo of it as well. Probably not great to cycle 60km with a broken knee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44954769?ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport&ns_mchannel=social

Edited by Tazio

Taking a dive down a wee ravine

1.jpg.8ca855c17ddd525c5511a757cfa9743d.jpg

Getting rescued

2.jpg.8b43788c3efbd0f0d0e6d094283cb37a.jpg

Messed his leg up

4.jpg.3e62ed3be5b7d6a41d210609f7e38786.jpg

Hilariously, he won the combativity award for most aggressive rider of the day

5.jpg.114bc853303a8cecfd94255ce65f721c.jpg

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Think that's G won it now. Chuffed for him

Careful, still a TT and mountain stage to go. Things can change in a second.

Although when he does cross the line in Paris i'll be delighted for him as well?

2 things i saw in yesterdays stage 

Looked like Barguille took something from under his saddle and put it in his back pocket

and im sure i saw Froome mouth words to Thomas to the effect "I cant win this/ youve won this"

The format of the race this year has made it exciting to the last day.

Putting the individual TT on the last day of proper racing has really shaken things up.

Riders have to guess how they'll perform in that TT ad how fresh they'll be and work out how much time they need over other people.

How much energy to expend going up the mountains and how much to hold in reserve for the TT has added an extra dimension to the tactics and strategy this year.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Taking a dive down a wee ravine

1.jpg.8ca855c17ddd525c5511a757cfa9743d.jpg

Getting rescued

2.jpg.8b43788c3efbd0f0d0e6d094283cb37a.jpg

Messed his leg up

4.jpg.3e62ed3be5b7d6a41d210609f7e38786.jpg

Hilariously, he won the combativity award for most aggressive rider of the day

5.jpg.114bc853303a8cecfd94255ce65f721c.jpg

_102688718_gilbert_twitter.jpg

8 hours ago, Sharky999 said:

Careful, still a TT and mountain stage to go. Things can change in a second.

Although when he does cross the line in Paris i'll be delighted for him as well?

2 things i saw in yesterdays stage 

Looked like Barguille took something from under his saddle and put it in his back pocket

and im sure i saw Froome mouth words to Thomas to the effect "I cant win this/ youve won this"

Oh I know it's not won until it's won but I don't think G will lose enough time in the TT to lose the race. He's the strongest rider in the bunch. IMO only Froome is capable of beating him and he was struggling yesterday, which is very unusual. Most exciting race for a wee while.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Oh I know it's not won until it's won but I don't think G will lose enough time in the TT to lose the race. He's the strongest rider in the bunch. IMO only Froome is capable of beating him and he was struggling yesterday, which is very unusual. Most exciting race for a wee while.

Unusual for Froome at the TDF, not so unusual for someone doing the TDF after winning the Giro

13 hours ago, Sharky999 said:

Could have been the timing transponder that all the bikes have fitted nowadays for Dimension Data statistics.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Could have been the timing transponder that all the bikes have fitted nowadays for Dimension Data statistics.

Possibly, ?

All set up for a crazy last two days.

Up two HC category climbs including the Tourmalet today, then the individual TT tomorrow before champagne in Paris on Sunday.

It's all up for grabs.

11 hours ago, Cade said:

All set up for a crazy last two days.

Up two HC category climbs including the Tourmalet today, then the individual TT tomorrow before champagne in Paris on Sunday.

It's all up for grabs.

And Thomas gains another 6 seconds after all that today

Meantime for those who don't know him

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-07-27/how-geraint-thomas-rose-from-cycling-at-a-club-in-cardiff-to-tour-de-france-champion-in-waiting/

All it takes is one slip on this final TT and everything can change.

Three weeks of hard work can be undone in an instant.

Usually the TT is in the first week or very early in the 2nd, so you have time to repair any damage done.

Nailbiting stuff tomorrow.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Well done Thomas. I suppose the Welsh are feeling like we did when Murray won Wimbledon. Hopefully this will lead to an upsurge in Welsh cycling success unlike the lack of follow on from Murray and tennis in Scotland. 

If Dumoulin can get himself a decent team, he'd be in proper contention for every Grand Tour he entered.

Great to see Geraint's hard work for the team being rewarded with the biggest prize there is in road cycling.

13 hours ago, Cade said:

yawn-gif-1.gif

Out of interest; given what we know about Team Sky, why should we give Geraint Thomas the benefit of the doubt?

Looking forward, I see next year's Grand Départ is in Brussels followed by a TTT on day 2 - also in Brussels.

Any ideas when the remainder of the route gets released? 

• 11 months later...

Starts tomorrow.

Though Cheis Froome is missing perhaps more of a loss is Mark Cavendish not picked by his team after illness and loss of form though he was building up. 

Maybe more open this year. 

Cav's too old now and the last two years of injury and illness have more or less ended his road racing career.

Looking forward to this as always. Shame about Cav. Hate the “dual” team leader thing at Ineos, again

12 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Looking forward to this as always. Shame about Cav. Hate the “dual” team leader thing at Ineos, again

Thomas is the leader. But it's because Bernal is so good. He is actually Bookies favourite. So it is reality of having two cyclists that can win but not knowing how it will go. 

It might also be  to the lessons learned when Froome was better than Wiggins in 2012. 

The reality is they have proven they can work as a team.