Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )

icyellow69

Surley this man deserves a Testimonial  Has given all those years as a player  a coach   a manager and now the club ambassador  .Just Saying

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elmore

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Kiwidoug

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, icyellow69 said:

Surley this man deserves a Testimonial  Has given all those years as a player  a coach   a manager and now the club ambassador  .Just Saying

Er, no.

8 minutes ago, icyellow69 said:

Good one Gary, you can't be that skint?

Aye who can forget him being injured for well over a year then (for me) spoiling the 98 Cup presentation then after Hearts getting him fully fit he buggers of after Jim Jeffries to Bradford, then comes back after his Kilmarnock contract and does his coaching badges and eventually gets the main job alongside Darren Murray only to then bring that turn coat Billy Brown back and gradually pushes him to the side (luckily he got the Wolves job) and then continues to see us lose a semi final against Cali thistle after strolling the game at Easter Road and also we are done at Hampden from St Midden and then we were relegated when he settled for draws when we were needing wins, he's undoubtedly a 100% died in the wool Hearts man but I wouldn't think a Testimonial is in order as he's STILL living off the club to this day. ?

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Aye who can forget him being injured for well over a year then (for me) spoiling the 98 Cup presentation then after Hearts getting him fully fit he buggers of after Jim Jeffries to Bradford, then comes back after his Kilmarnock contract and does his coaching badges and eventually gets the main job alongside Darren Murray only to then bring that turn coat Billy Brown back and gradually pushes him to the side (luckily he got the Wolves job) and then continues to see us lose a semi final against Cali thistle after strolling the game at Easter Road and also we are done at Hampden from St Midden and then we were relegated when he settled for draws when we were needing wins, he's undoubtedly a 100% died in the wool Hearts man but I wouldn't think a Testimonial is in order as he's STILL living off the club to this day. ?

Just a tad harsh. ?

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just a tad harsh. ?

Only a tad. Can only assume Gary had a go at his missus:laugh:. No I don't think he is worthy of a testimonial though.

15 minutes ago, Shedro said:

What a bitter post. A testimonial no but Gary embodies what we have been lacking recently, players who know what being a Hearts fan is all about, playing for the Jersey and never leaving a park having given anything less than 100% especially against the wee team

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Big Moysey said:

What a bitter post. A testimonial no but Gary embodies what we have been lacking recently, players who know what being a Hearts fan is all about, playing for the Jersey and never leaving a park having given anything less than 100% especially against the wee team

Gary was looking an excellent player until that cup final injury. He was never quite the same after that imo. 

42 minutes ago, Shedro said:

?

43 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Is that a ‘No’ then?

:D

adambraejambo

A testimonial game should only be given for 10 yrs continued service as a player only (or players who have a career ending injury  ) 

Edited by adambraejambo

35 minutes ago, GorgieMIlls said:

Not one bit of it I wouldn't disagree with 

He spoiled the cup presentation in 98?  No way!  I love the fact that a guy who followed us home and away through the first division days then went on to captain and manage the club.  This guy is the real deal when it comes to supporting this club. He deserves any critism he gets for his time in charge.  I'm not sure if he deserves a testimonial, but I'm struggling to think of anyone who deserves to get one more than him.  A bigger Jambo than griffiths is a Hibby.  Unlike griffiths, he doesn't wear his arse on his sleeve.  

old school tie
54 minutes ago, Shedro said:

The clown was also responsible for our biggest hiding in 40 years :jj_facepalm:

gashauskis9
7 minutes ago, old school tie said:

The clown was also responsible for our biggest hiding in 40 years :jj_facepalm:

Clown?  FFS, calling a Hearts man a clown is pathetic.  

Cruyff Turn

We keep giving Gary random jobs just to keep him ticking over. 

Is being Mrs Budge's teaboy not enough? 

Seriously though, he was a Hearts player for almost 10 years from 92-01, made his debut in 93 though, coach for a couple of years, manager for a season which brings him well over the 10 years service mark. 

If it ever happened, I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

1 hour ago, Shedro said:

What did he do to ruin the presentation?

1 hour ago, Shedro said:

Jesus Christ did he have a go on your Mrs or something!

while I don’t think a testimonial is needed I also do respect Gary for his love and passion for our club, it was all of our dream to pull on that shirt as a young lad and he managed it, whether he was injured or not does not deflect away that he left 100% on the park every time, we can’t predict injures etc!

also rather than thinking he just kicking around like a bad smell maybe it’s the fact he loves the club that he keeps coming back, or is that just too naive.

3 minutes ago, old school tie said:

He grabbed the cup out of the hands of the guys who had won the thing :cornette_dog:

especially after he didn't even play.

queensferryjambo
52 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Aye who can forget him being injured for well over a year then (for me) spoiling the 98 Cup presentation then after Hearts getting him fully fit he buggers of after Jim Jeffries to Bradford,

Who could forget?

Obviously you. Not one single thing you have said about Locke's playing career is even close to being correct.

When exactly was Locke out for a year before the 98 Cup final? Or in fact when was he out for a year ever? He had a bad injury 96 cup final but that was last game of the season and was recuperating closed season and for a few months in 96/97 in fact back playing January 97.

He hardly then came back and spoiled the cup presentation he played that season right up until 3 weeks before the final in 97/98. 

He went to Bradford in January 2001 and had played almost every game of season 2000/01 for us up until this point so not sure how he got fit - when he was fully fit and was playing every week for us prior to going to Bradford. 

Still don't let any facts get in the way of what you remember.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/lockegaryap.html

Maroon Sailor

I've got over 40 years supporting the club. Should get a long service medal for that, especially after the yo-yo years where we followed the club through thin and thinner.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Who could forget?

Obviously you. Not one single thing you have said about Locke's playing career is even close to being correct.

When exactly was Locke out for a year before the 98 Cup final? Or in fact when was he out for a year ever? He had a bad injury 96 cup final but that was last game of the season and was recuperating closed season and for a few months in 96/97 in fact back playing January 97.

He hardly then came back and spoiled the cup presentation he played that season right up until 3 weeks before the final in 97/98. 

He went to Bradford in January 2001 and had played almost every game of season 2000/01 for us up until this point so not sure how he got fit - when he was fully fit and was playing every week for us prior to going to Bradford. 

Still don't let any facts get in the way of what you remember.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/players/lockegaryap.html

:laugh:

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've got over 40 years supporting the club. Should get a long service medal for that, especially after the yo-yo years where we followed the club through thin and thinner.

Yes you should and I should get an extra-long service medal for supporting the club for 65 years. My dad brought me to my first game when I was 5 and I am 71 in August. Very proud. Hope there is someone out there that can trump that!!

Edited by jamienick

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You're right about testimonials. Players get enough nowadays to out something back for a rainy day. They earn more money than your average fan ever will. Should fans get a free season ticket after buying one for ten years?  

Placid Casual
43 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Players get enough nowadays to out something back for a rainy day. They earn more money than your average fan ever will.

:spoton:

No need for testimonials nowadays, except perhaps in exceptional circumstances.

1 minute ago, Placid Casual said:

No need for testimonials nowadays, except perhaps in exceptional circumstances.

You can understand it maybe twenty years ago when players were paid peanuts. With the money they get and the time they have on their hands to educate themselves, there is plenty chances to set themselves up. 

2 hours ago, Big Moysey said:

Mad Bad and Dangerous
3 hours ago, Shedro said:

We beat Caley at Easter Road....1-0 I think

maroonnicky63

What's your point.?:laugh:

SpruceBringsteen

16 May, 1998: Heart of Midlothian have won the Scottish Cup, earning their first trophy in 36 long years. The scenes in the stands of joy and disbelief see thousands of grown men in tears, unable to process what just unfolded. As club captain for the day Stevie Fulton goes to lift the famous trophy to the acclaim of the assembled Hearts support, suddenly everything comes irreparably crashing down as Gary Locke hobbles a bit and celebrates. The day - and entire occasion - now ruined, the dejected Jambos faithful make their way back along the M8 to skull rat poison.

portobellojambo1

What a very bitter and unnecessary post, filled with a spattering of untruth.

As for the original post I've never been a fan of testimonials, and more to the point I doubt Gary would want one, never mind expect one.

He never spoiled the 1998 cup presentation.  As club captain, he was invited to join in.  

20 minutes ago, Mad Bad and Dangerous said:

We beat Caley at Easter Road....1-0 I think

I think he's referring to the 9 man, Caley, penalty debacle at Easter Rd.

In saying that, it's still a load of untruths and nonsense.

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

He never spoiled the 1998 cup presentation.  As club captain, he was invited to join in.  

And it was hugely appreciated at the time. 

23 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

16 May, 1998: Heart of Midlothian have won the Scottish Cup, earning their first trophy in 36 long years. The scenes in the stands of joy and disbelief see thousands of grown men in tears, unable to process what just unfolded. As club captain for the day Stevie Fulton goes to lift the famous trophy to the acclaim of the assembled Hearts support, suddenly everything comes irreparably crashing down as Gary Locke hobbles a bit and celebrates. The day - and entire occasion - now ruined, the dejected Jambos faithful make their way back along the M8 to skull rat poison.

I never got over it until we beat Gretna. He's from Bonnyrigg, what are you expecting?  Once a savage etc. 

Borders Jambo

Sniff, sniff on this thread.

Some bitter posters on this thread.

Gary doesn't need a testimonial but he is a true Hearts man and deserves the respect that accords.

46 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And it was hugely appreciated at the time. 

It was.  Certainly by me.  Did not spoil the occasion at all.  

5 hours ago, Shedro said:

What a load of rubbish. Having said that I'm not a fan of testimonials to start with so would say no to GL getting one and bye the way he didn't spoil the 98 cup final, nothing could ever spoil that day for me least of all the club captain sharing the trophy presentation with the captain of the day!

WalterWhite
2 hours ago, Boab said:

I think he's referring to the 9 man, Caley, penalty debacle at Easter Rd.

In saying that, it's still a load of untruths and nonsense.

It wasn't Gary who was farting about with the ball in the corner loosing it and cally going up and scoring that was Stevenson. He was the club captian in 98 regardless if he played or not he was entitled to lift the cup alone Fulton captianed hearts on that day Gary could of lifted it himself if he wanted am sure it was all planned before IF we win we both lift it. 

This place is full of utter welts who love nothing more than jumping on the bandwagoon now slating locke . No one has mentioned pretty much getting throwing the job when the plumber was sacked not signing 1 player then the following season starting with -15 .

Testimonial no but don't slate the guy am sure if you came in contact with the man you would be first to ask for a photo or a handshake.

Muppets!

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, WalterWhite said:

It wasn't Gary who was farting about with the ball in the corner loosing it and cally going up and scoring that was Stevenson. He was the club captian in 98 regardless if he played or not he was entitled to lift the cup alone Fulton captianed hearts on that day Gary could of lifted it himself if he wanted am sure it was all planned before IF we win we both lift it. 

This place is full of utter welts who love nothing more than jumping on the bandwagoon now slating locke . No one has mentioned pretty much getting throwing the job when the plumber was sacked not signing 1 player then the following season starting with -15 .

Testimonial no but don't slate the guy am sure if you came in contact with the man you would be first to ask for a photo or a handshake.

Muppets!

Very good post.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Shedro said:

The amount of grudges Hearts fans have against some of our staff baffles me. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

54 minutes ago, WalterWhite said:

Muppets!

Great post, mate. Agree with every word.

Met him a few times and a bigger Jambo you won't find.

I was only replying to a post saying it was 1-0 against Caley by the way !

?

WalterWhite
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Great post, mate. Agree with every word.

Met him a few times and a bigger Jambo you won't find.

I was only replying to a post saying it was 1-0 against Caley by the way !

?

Haha i know i meant to quote what you quoted not good at this .

• davemclaren changed the title to Gary Locke Testimonial match v Stoke - July 23 ( Gorgie Club open )