Rip It Up- The Story of Scottish Pop.

been here before

been here before
11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Missed one. She wrote I don't want to fight no more - I think that's the song anyway - sung by Tina Turner. 

Along with her brother and Steve Duberry a songwriter/producer whose been nominated for a grammy, a British Grammy and an Ivor Novello award as well as receiving 5 BMI awards and sellin 10 million plus records.

Im guessing she hung onto his coat tales for that.

A third, if Im being generous, of penning a hit for someone else in a 50 year 'career'.

Edited by been here before

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Elmore

• been here before

• Tazio

On 27/06/2018 at 15:35, i8hibsh said:

And that sanctimonious fat **** Adele.

Nae Maggie Bell. 

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Along with her brother and Steve Duberry a songwriter/producer whose been nominated for a grammy, a British Grammy and an Ivor Novello award as well as receiving 5 BMI awards and sellin 10 million plus records.

Im guessing she hung onto his coat tales for that.

A third, if Im being generous, of penning a hit for someone else in a 50 year 'career'.

Cheers. Didn't know enough about it and couldn't be bothered googling. ?

scott herbertson
On 28/06/2018 at 11:06, davemclaren said:

Cannae whack Marmalade or Alex Harvey. 

Now your talking - I also like Blue from that period, and Sutherland brothers & Quiver.

The magnificent String Driven Thing too.

May visit this though I expect I’ll be disappointed but bands missed 

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Gerry Rafferty could write a tune. Stuck in the middle with you and Baker Street. 2 absolute cracking songs. 

Star and Mary Skeffington are lesser classics too.

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Now your talking - I also like Blue from that period, and Sutherland brothers & Quiver.

Little Jody by Blue is a great song. 

Roxy Hearts
57 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Star and Mary Skeffington are lesser classics too.

Whatever's written in your heart. Good song too. 

7 hours ago, the jambo poet said:

The stranglers were superb and for a bit of pop the bluebells were magnificent. We've had a big influence on almost every decade with Lulu in the 60's, bay city rollers in the 70's, the skids leading to big country in the 80's, onto the rave scene of the 90's with TTF et al, travis and finally Calvin Harris. Thats just of the top of my head. Im sure many other guys will have different preferences from each decade. But we have helped shape the soundtrack of my life.

Where do The Stranglers fit into Scottish music scene? I can’t think of a single link. 

7 hours ago, the jambo poet said:

The stranglers were superb and for a bit of pop the bluebells were magnificent. We've had a big influence on almost every decade with Lulu in the 60's, bay city rollers in the 70's, the skids leading to big country in the 80's, onto the rave scene of the 90's with TTF et al, travis and finally Calvin Harris. Thats just of the top of my head. Im sure many other guys will have different preferences from each decade. But we have helped shape the soundtrack of my life.

Where do The Stranglers fit into Scottish music scene? I can’t think of a single link. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Golden brown? :pimp2:

:ninja:

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ditto. I don't think a single band member was Scottish. He also had to spoil the thread by mentioning Lulu. If it wasn't for Eddie Reader, she would be the Scottish person I hate most linked to Scottish music.  I hate that cow!

scott herbertson

Trash Can Sinatras deserve a mention too - many years and a few very good songs.

been here before
49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

To me the great forgotten band of that late 80's early 90's period is the Kevin McDermott Orchestra.  

Got their first album on vinyl. Not heard it in years.

jimbojambo
On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:27, Libertonian_ii01 said:

Nazareth anyone?

A brilliant underrated band who were big influences on Guns N Roses

jimbojambo
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:21, scott herbertson said:

It's a Game by String Driven Thing is a wonderful song. Went to the exhibition yesterday and it's really good. I couldn't believe Midge Ure's raincoat from Vienna it looked like one that a dirty old man would wear. But great videos and exhibits - takes about an hour to go round

Carl Fredrickson

Re Talking Heads (loved them in times gone by) I heard an interview with David Byrne on Radio Scotland and he said he has no memories of Scotland and didnt class himself as Scottish as he left when he was 2. 

The 80s were an awesome time for Scots bands - 86 World Cup adverts for McEwans (s?) had bands like Hipsway and Win getting a lot of publicity. 

I dont think he has been mentioned yet but Mike Scott has done some great tunes with the Waterboys.

Edit ri Alban just mentioned them as I was typing!

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

On 7/2/2018 at 19:43, ri Alban said:

Orange juice any good? 

Great band. As a country youse have really produced some tremendous bands. Skids, JAMC, Scars, Alex Harvey, Frankie Miller. Nowadays King King, Rising Souls, Filthy Tongues to name just a few. Shame we aint got that many decent sized venues in the capital

scott herbertson
6 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I also like a bit of Dougie MacLean from time to time 

Bumped into him (nearly literally) at the newsagents last Saturday and was tempted to humble myself in praise of his early albums, but bought my bacon and rolls in silence instead

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Bumped into him (nearly literally) at the newsagents last Saturday and was tempted to humble myself in praise of his early albums, but bought my bacon and rolls in silence instead

I saw him in concert last year for the first time and was very impressed. My 8 year old son is in to him so might take him along to one of his concerts.

scott herbertson
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

I saw him in concert last year for the first time and was very impressed. My 8 year old son is in to him so might take him along to one of his concerts.

He's very good live., though I last saw him in the 1980s at the Queens Hall

Carl Fredrickson
12 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

He's very good live., though I last saw him in the 1980s at the Queens Hall

Saw him at the Brunton in Musselburgh. I am in my late 40s and I was one of the youngest their!

Bumped into him at the interval of the show as when he left the stage he took a wrong turn and ended up in amongst the punters. :)

On 01/07/2018 at 12:41, Elmore said:

Influenced by The Birds but I think they're better. I'll probably get shot down for that. Its hard to believe a bunch of schemes from Lanarkshire can produce the beautiful harmonies they do. 

A typo, I guess, as you mean The Byrds, rather than Ronnie Wood's 60's R&B group The Birds?

On 02/07/2018 at 19:43, ri Alban said:

Orange juice any good? 

Yes.

No mention of The Average White Band yet?  Peasants...

33 minutes ago, Boris said:

A typo, I guess, as you mean The Byrds, rather than Ronnie Wood's 60's R&B group The Birds?

Yes.

No mention of The Average White Band yet?  Peasants...

It was a typo Boris. 

4 minutes ago, Elmore said:

It was a typo Boris. 

I knew it was, as you mentioned harmonies.  Not something Ronnie Wood is famed for! :wink: 

29 minutes ago, Boris said:

I knew it was, as you mentioned harmonies.  Not something Ronnie Wood is famed for! :wink: 

I wasn't aware that Ronnie Wood was in a ban called the birds. Harmonies? :laugh:  him or Keith Richards. 

3 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I wasn't aware that Ronnie Wood was in a ban called the birds. Harmonies? :laugh:  him or Keith Richards. 

Gravel-ly, I should imagine!

2 hours ago, Elmore said:

Harmonies? :laugh:  him or Keith Richards. 

Little known fact, Keith was a choirboy when he was a youngster and even sang at Westminster Abbey!

25 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Little known fact, Keith was a choirboy when he was a youngster and even sang at Westminster Abbey!

I actually knew that and completely forgot about it. Read it in his book Keep it Dark. It won an award and deservedly so. Enjoyed this more than chronicles by Dylan. 

GlasgoJambo
On 09/07/2018 at 15:00, JWL said:

Stuart Sutcliffe........Edinburgh born original bass player with the greatest band of all time.

MEGA CONTINUUM NARRATIVE  FACT

When Sutcliffe left The Beatles and went to study art in Hamburg it was under the tutelage of Eduardo Paolozzi - another son of Edinburgh (well Leith ;-) 

GlasgoJambo
On 03/07/2018 at 11:31, Tazio said:

To me the great forgotten band of that late 80's early 90's period is the Kevin McDermott Orchestra.  

Good mention. I play football with Kevin occasionally - always wears jogging bottoms so never seen his knees!

been here before
1 hour ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Jozef K - another fine Scottish band who deserve a mention 

Feature quite a bit in the fourth episode about the Story of Scottish Alternative Music.

the general

definitely worth a visit spent almost 3 hours there on Friday

very comprehensive , well as much as these things can be

most of the bands mentioned above are in it

no Exploited though iirc

oh and some decent merch on sale

BBC doc starts tomorrow night

1 hour ago, the general said:

definitely worth a visit spent almost 3 hours there on Friday

very comprehensive , well as much as these things can be

most of the bands mentioned above are in it

no Exploited though iirc

oh and some decent merch on sale

BBC doc starts tomorrow night

I suppose they can't include everything, but the exploited on top of the pops with Dead Cities is a seminal moment in Scottish music history. Surprised The Exploited aren't included.