Rip It Up- The Story of Scottish Pop.

been here before

been here before

Obviously a few music fans on the board so I thought some may be interested in this exhibition that opened a couple of days ago in Chambers Street.

Rip It Up

Theres also an accompanying Radio Scotland series of which 2 episodes are available to listen again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7mmm8/episodes/player

Ive only listened to the first one and its not bad at all. Be warned though, its got Lulu on it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Elmore

• been here before

• Tazio

Definitely going to pay a visit to this.

Have ordered the book that Vic Galloway has compiled to accompany it before then though. 

John Findlay
7 hours ago, been here before said:

Obviously a few music fans on the board so I thought some may be interested in this exhibition that opened a couple of days ago in Chambers Street.

Rip It Up

Theres also an accompanying Radio Scotland series of which 2 episodes are available to listen again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7mmm8/episodes/player

Ive only listened to the first one and its not bad at all. Be warned though, its got Lulu on it.

What about Lena Zavaroni?

the general

Was at one of the gigs to tie in with this at Summerhall last Sat 

Great day despite it getting moved indoors due to a local resident making a noise complaint 

Not lostened to it yet but there was some brilliant bands from Scotland in the 80’s. 

Hipsway, Big Country, Simple Minds and many others. What happened to our talent pool???

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not lostened to it yet but there was some brilliant bands from Scotland in the 80’s. 

Hipsway, Big Country, Simple Minds and many others. What happened to our talent pool???

It's still there; just that everything nowadays is overshadowed by X-Factor winners and wannabes.

been here before
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

And off the top of my head...The Big Dish, Indian Givers, Babys Got a Gun, Texas, Love and Money, Goodbye Mr McKenzie, Swamptrash...

Never saw this before I put the other post up..... EEEEk loads to listen and comment on, what was that song or band about boxing gloves ? loved it, scottish.

Spitonastranger
3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

It still there Twilight Sad, Kathryn Joseph, Jetpacks, Man of Moon, Canal Capatale, RM Hubbard and many more

2 hours ago, JWL said:

It's still there; just that everything nowadays is overshadowed by X-Factor winners and wannabes.

See any radio station nowadays, they must have about a dozen tracks that they play on constant repeat between the adverts and youre right, its all pishy x-factor winners, boy bands & commercial shite fi the USA or commercial shite fi London pretending they are LA gangstaz. 

1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

It still there Twilight Sad, Kathryn Joseph, Jetpacks, Man of Moon, Canal Capatale, RM Hubbard and many more

Not heard of any of those mate. I will look them out and give them a wee blast. :thumb:

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

See any radio station nowadays, they must have about a dozen tracks that they play on constant repeat between the adverts and youre right, its all pishy x-factor winners, boy bands & commercial shite fi the USA or commercial shite fi London pretending they are LA gangstaz. 

And that sanctimonious fat **** Adele.

Midloth_Iain
5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

BBC Radio 6 (on DAB) is about the only decent station for music, but even that has some shit ramblings by annoying DJ's.

12 hours ago, the general said:

Was at one of the gigs to tie in with this at Summerhall last Sat 

Great day despite it getting moved indoors due to a local resident making a noise complaint 

I was at Idlewild on the Thursday.

What a racket in the courtyard.

the general
13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

I was at Idlewild on the Thursday.

What a racket in the courtyard.

but was the sound travelling?

MacDonald Jardine
9 hours ago, Libertonian_ii01 said:

Nazareth anyone?

They were a great band.

Criminally underrated. 

On 27/06/2018 at 13:35, Spitonastranger said:

Add the likes of Mogwai, Belle and Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand.  I know these bands have been around a while.

My taste is more into rock/metal and I have never gone to watch newer bands unless they are on the bill for something else I am at.  People that follow new bands could probably rhrow in some names.

Libertonian_ii01
1 hour ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

They were a great band.

Criminally underrated. 

Definitely.  Just listening to some of their music the noo

Roxy Hearts
13 hours ago, Libertonian_ii01 said:

Nazareth anyone?

Love Nazareth, big influence on Guns and Roses. Like a bit Average White Band. AC/DC guid Scottish roots. 

15 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Love Nazareth, big influence on Guns and Roses. Like a bit Average White Band. AC/DC guid Scottish roots. 

I would question how much influence on GNR that Nazareth were.  New York Dolls and Aerosmith seem far more prominent.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I would question how much influence on GNR that Nazareth were.  New York Dolls and Aerosmith seem far more prominent.

I think that assumption is based on the similar vocals of Axl Rose and Dan McCafferty 

Edit: More to it than I thought, Axl was a bit of a fan "A tribute came in 1993 when Guns N' Roses covered Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" on "The Spaghetti Incident?", consolation after they turned down Axl Rose's request for the group to play at his wedding."

Edited by Tazio

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think that assumption is based on the similar vocals of Axl Rose and Dan McCafferty 

Edit: More to it than I thought, Axl was a bit of a fan "A tribute came in 1993 when Guns N' Roses covered Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" on "The Spaghetti Incident?", consolation after they turned down Axl Rose's request for the group to play at his wedding."

Cheers for that info.

I think GNR was always a collection of members with different influences.  Duff was always into punk and the New York Dolls.  Not sure about Slash and Izzy.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Cheers for that info.

I think GNR was always a collection of members with different influences.  Duff was always into punk and the New York Dolls.  Not sure about Slash and Izzy.

Pure guesswork but Slash classic 70's rock, Izzy New York Dolls and The Rolling Stones. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Pure guesswork but Slash classic 70's rock, Izzy New York Dolls and The Rolling Stones. 

Fair guesses.

Just received my Appetite super deluxe (no not the £850 version!).  Still have the vinyl with the original cover.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Still have the vinyl with the original cover.

Ditto, got it on CD as well but still prefer to listen to it on vinyl. 

Jambothump
On 28/06/2018 at 10:06, davemclaren said:

Cannae whack Marmalade or Alex Harvey. 

Now that is a diverse musical taste :thumbsup:

On 28/06/2018 at 11:06, davemclaren said:

Cannae whack Marmalade or Alex Harvey. 

Last year I had the privelage of having a jam session with the drummer from marmalade. A great guy who was do down to earth and a really good laugh. 

doctor jambo
On 27/06/2018 at 10:14, Pans Jambo said:

We are strangling the life out of creativity by giving our "out there" kids Ritalin to quash their active minds

davemclaren
59 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Last year I had the privelage of having a jam session with the drummer from marmalade. A great guy who was do down to earth and a really good laugh. 

Nice one. ?

Craig Gordons Gloves
On 6/30/2018 at 03:41, Elmore said:

Teenage Fanclub are the best Scottish band. That band have produced some excellent songs.  

This is the most accurate post ever made on JKB

3 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

This is the most accurate post ever made on JKB

Influenced by The Birds but I think they're better. I'll probably get shot down for that. Its hard to believe a bunch of schemes from Lanarkshire can produce the beautiful harmonies they do. 

Edited by Elmore

14 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Influenced by The Birds but I think they're better. I'll probably get shot down for that. Its hard to believe a bunch of schemes from Lanarkshire can produce the beautiful harmonies they do. 

A bigger influence were Big Star. In fact this could pretty much be a Teenage Fanclub song.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

A bigger influence were Big Star. In fact this could pretty much be a Teenage Fanclub song.

Love Alex Chilton mate. Watch the sunrise is utter class. They are definitely their biggest influence. Forgot about them when posting about the birds. I need to go and listen to them now. Thanks. Thinking about it, the teenage fanclub song 'ain't that enough' is just their version of watch the sunrise. Both great songs. 

Demo from their Sparkle In the Rain album. Brilliant band at mixing synth with guitars and drums.  

Producer Steve Lillywhite decided overhaul it to give them more of a soft rock sound (he produced U2). 

Staunch SM fans took the hump but I like both the synth sound and rockier tones. 

the jambo poet

The stranglers were superb and for a bit of pop the bluebells were magnificent. We've had a big influence on almost every decade with Lulu in the 60's, bay city rollers in the 70's, the skids leading to big country in the 80's, onto the rave scene of the 90's with TTF et al, travis and finally Calvin Harris. Thats just of the top of my head. Im sure many other guys will have different preferences from each decade. But we have helped shape the soundtrack of my life.

Салатные палочки
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Wet Wet Wet

Were Talking Heads Scottish? 

David Byrne was brought up in Dumbarton but the band were American. 

22 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

David Byrne was brought up in Dumbarton but the band were American. 

OK, cheers. 

Can we claim them and Snow Patrol as our own, tho' ?  :D

Roxy Hearts

Gerry Rafferty could write a tune. Stuck in the middle with you and Baker Street. 2 absolute cracking songs. 

Terry Cinnamon 

Kelly Marie

Paolo Nutini

Runrig

Scocha

Red hot chilli pipers. 

I heard a cracking rapper the other week fae glesga, cannae mind his name. Brilliant. 

been here before
4 hours ago, the jambo poet said:

We've had a big influence on almost every decade with Lulu in the 60's...

Who the fxxk has Lulu ever influenced? There is not an ounce of originality in the talentless bint.

Biggest hit with a cover of an Isley Brothers song- repeated ad nauseum for 50 years. W-e-e-e-l-l-l.... gies peace ye midden.

God awful boom bang a bang at Euro vision, a Bowie cover and a terrible Jimmy Bond tune. Married a BeeGee, done nothing for her career, divorced a BeeGee.

Absolutely irrelevent for 40 years then hoored herself round Take That in a desperate attempt to get down wiv der kids and reinvent herself as modern. Take That ffs.

Then **** all again for another 20 years popping up occasionally with her stupod mid Atlantic voice unless its on some scabby STV show watched by Morrisons shoppers and the she's "gallus wee Marie McGlaughlin fae Glesga".

Cannae stand her.

Roxy Hearts
13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Who the fxxk has Lulu ever influenced? There is not an ounce of originality in the talentless bint.

Biggest hit with a cover of an Isley Brothers song- repeated ad nauseum for 50 years. W-e-e-e-l-l-l.... gies peace ye midden.

God awful boom bang a bang at Euro vision, a Bowie cover and a terrible Jimmy Bond tune. Married a BeeGee, done nothing for her career, divorced a BeeGee.

Absolutely irrelevent for 40 years then hoored herself round Take That in a desperate attempt to get down wiv der kids and reinvent herself as modern. Take That ffs.

Then **** all again for another 20 years popping up occasionally with her stupod mid Atlantic voice unless its on some scabby STV show watched by Morrisons shoppers and the she's "gallus wee Marie McGlaughlin fae Glesga".

Cannae stand her.

Missed one. She wrote I don't want to fight no more - I think that's the song anyway - sung by Tina Turner.