• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson
31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not far off this now

IMG_4343.thumb.JPG.25218b060a41fb17e3d3514622d6a47d.JPG

I often dont recognise many older photos until someone says where it is, then the penny drops. Though with this one I dont need any help. The site of what was Meadowbank Stadium and to the left of the photo is possibly the start of St Margarets yard. 

Seymour M Hersh
33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4349.JPG

Morningside at the big junction up by the Hermitage. Taken from possibly where the Waiting Room bar is now.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4342.JPG

That looks like it was taken in the 80s/early 90s, So I would love to know where that trolley came from. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

That looks like it was taken in the 80s/early 90s, So I would love to know where that trolley came from. 

The Co-Op (Scotmid now), or Safeway (Morrisons now).

On 17/08/2019 at 10:06, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4310.JPG

GOOGLE lists this as unknown street Dean Terrace one side India Place / MacKenzie Place the other?

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

GOOGLE lists this as unknown street Dean Terrace one side India Place / MacKenzie Place the other?

It’s effectively India Place I would say. Mackenzie Place starts after the turn and it’s a one way street, so can’t be classed as Dean Terrace.

17 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Looks like it to me, 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s effectively India Place I would say. Mackenzie Place starts after the turn and it’s a one way street, so can’t be classed as Dean Terrace.

Dean Terrace would be the road behind the photographer.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Dean Terrace would be the road behind the photographer.

Yup

The White Cockade
On 17/08/2019 at 11:35, Maroon Sailor said:

First I've ever heard of Ecurie Ecosse (Scotland Stable). Not right when you consider the success they had

Jim Clark (the greatest), Jackie Stewart and Innes Ireland all drove for the team at some point

2 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I think it's called St. Bernard's Bridge

luckyBatistuta

Another old photo for Bob. The sergeant in the picture is Tam Bissett. Bob, are you the cop who got his hand broken in a baton fight in a police box with another cop? Think the other cop was PC 58A (Kenny Fowler)

90B45017-B4EB-4E58-81EE-58FDDF462E8A.jpeg

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Another old photo for Bob. The sergeant in the picture is Tam Bissett. Bob, are you the cop who got his hand broken in a baton fight in a police box with another cop? Think the other cop was PC 58A (Kenny Fowler)

Yes, Tam Bisset, knew him well.

Yes thats Tam Bisset, knew him well when he worked A division. He was another Niddrie regular in the winter and went to the mointed section on relief during the siummer before being transferred permanently.

Yes Kenny and I had a few battles in th old Box 30 at Wauchope Avenue, and at times batons were used, but no I never had a broken hand but often a sair one. Kenny and I were quite wll known in Niddrie, and they had names for us, which in some ways is a recognition. When I guess we were showing signs of becoming like the people we were policing we were moved to the Infirmary and Marshal Street beats. Kenny was a good friend and the best partner I ever had then, and since.

A wee kenny story. One Saturday afternoon I was walking back to the box in Marshal Street and passed the Niddrie bus stop at Surgeons Hall.One of the Niddrie locals started cursing and swearing at wanting to fight and just being a complete idiot but he wouldn't stop. I ended up taking him to the box, and c alled Kenny, he cam over and buddy boy would not calm down. So we opened the door and as he went out he was still giving it everything so he now got arrested for a Breach of the Peace, there now being tweo witnees.

I asked about Kenny on another Forum, he is of course long retired but seems to be doing fine.

One of the riders at the back looks a bit like Ernie Hill.

And finally who is your informant, must have known us well.

luckyBatistuta
38 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Yes, Tam Bisset, knew him well.

Yes thats Tam Bisset, knew him well when he worked A division. He was another Niddrie regular in the winter and went to the mointed section on relief during the siummer before being transferred permanently.

Yes Kenny and I had a few battles in th old Box 30 at Wauchope Avenue, and at times batons were used, but no I never had a broken hand but often a sair one. Kenny and I were quite wll known in Niddrie, and they had names for us, which in some ways is a recognition. When I guess we were showing signs of becoming like the people we were policing we were moved to the Infirmary and Marshal Street beats. Kenny was a good friend and the best partner I ever had then, and since.

A wee kenny story. One Saturday afternoon I was walking back to the box in Marshal Street and passed the Niddrie bus stop at Surgeons Hall.One of the Niddrie locals started cursing and swearing at wanting to fight and just being a complete idiot but he wouldn't stop. I ended up taking him to the box, and c alled Kenny, he cam over and buddy boy would not calm down. So we opened the door and as he went out he was still giving it everything so he now got arrested for a Breach of the Peace, there now being tweo witnees.

I asked about Kenny on another Forum, he is of course long retired but seems to be doing fine.

One of the riders at the back looks a bit like Ernie Hill.

And finally who is your informant, must have known us well.

It’s a good friend of mine, he says he knew you and Kenny, but that you wouldn’t remember him...retired traffic cop Norman (Norrie) Kennedy. I’ve to let you know that Cate McLaren who married Alistair White (198-A) has sadly passed away.

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Is that in Edinburgh🤷🏼‍♂️

It's the south side of Newhaven Main Street.  About 90% of that side of the road now are newer buildings.

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Is that in Edinburgh🤷🏼‍♂️

It's down as Newhaven but that might not mean Newhaven in Edinburgh

Doesn't look like it's our Newhaven

EDIT: Appears to be - that car looks a bit fancy though !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

42 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s a good friend of mine, he says he knew you and Kenny, but that you wouldn’t remember him...retired traffic cop Norman (Norrie) Kennedy. I’ve to let you know that Cate McLaren who married Alistair White (198-A) has sadly passed away.

No don't remember any of the names, I actually thought you may have spoken to Kenny. I was back one time and visited Fettes and a young policemean shook my hand and said you are a legend, I guess its that kind of story that caused that.

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

It's the south side of Newhaven Main Street.  About 90% of that side of the road now are newer buildings.

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's down as Newhaven but that might not mean Newhaven in Edinburgh

Doesn't look like it's our Newhaven

EDIT: Appears to be - that car looks a bit fancy though !

Not seeing it🤷🏼‍♂️

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

No don't remember any of the names, I actually thought you may have spoken to Kenny. I was back one time and visited Fettes and a young policemean shook my hand and said you are a legend, I guess its that kind of story that caused that.

:wow:

Legend in the force as well as on JKB

:notworthy::policeman:

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not seeing it🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm beginning to wonder now. 

In the pictures below though, the roof/chimneys of the building at the end of the row look quite similar.  I see there's a pub there.

newhaven2.png

newhaven.png

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I'm beginning to wonder now. 

In the pictures below though, the roof/chimneys of the building at the end of the row look quite similar.  I see there's a pub there.

newhaven2.png

newhaven.png

A lot been knocked down then, as I’m still not seeing it🤷🏼‍♂️

Montgomery Brewster
16 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The van turning left in the top pic is at the same junction / roundabout as the bottom picture is taken. I e your only seeing a wee bit of the buildings in the bottom picture 

59 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The van turning left in the top pic is at the same junction / roundabout as the bottom picture is taken. I e your only seeing a wee bit of the buildings in the bottom picture 

Its the roundabout at the junction of Newhaven Main St/Craighall road looking west towards Starbank and the Old Pier Inn. The fancy car in the old picture is an Austin Metropolitan.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It definitely is, mate.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Its the roundabout at the junction of Newhaven Main St/Craighall road looking west towards Starbank and the Old Pier Inn. The fancy car in the old picture is an Austin Metropolitan.

Need my eyes tested then, not seeing a single building that matches

1864AC52-497E-4AA6-814D-4838E1CA88ED.gif

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4356.JPG

I can make out my old bedroom window. The nearest block, hermiston court. We were on the top floor. The dark corner facing the college was our flat, the first window on that side was our kitchen, then the 2 bedrooms.

We were only there for under a year in 1978 as we were waiting to be rehoused after the council bought our flat back from my parents in Gorgie to modernise them.

Moved to dumbryden grove after this.

Nehaven Main Street before you hit the roundabout and Masons bakers its a dead end.

A fine pie i might add in Masons one of the best in Edinburgh.

The pub and cottages are gone but the rest is still there.

IMG_20190820_205155.jpg

luckyBatistuta
55 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Nehaven Main Street before you hit the roundabout and Masons bakers its a dead end.

A fine pie i might add in Masons one of the best in Edinburgh.

The pub and cottages are gone but the rest is still there.

IMG_20190820_205155.jpg

What a prize fud!!!

Didn’t see it, so moved back in the street...Only on to PIER PLACE🤯

The more I looked at it, the more i kept thinking what the hell am I missing, oh yeah...my brain🤪

4 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

077AA4F4-6F25-4ACA-BF25-22F47F4AE30F.jpeg

8E4610B4-40AF-470E-BE62-C2B6FA063282.jpeg

That is a beautiful juxtaposition of photos.

I have spent my life travelling under that bridge but can't make my mind up which is best.

Maybe time for a new one.

3fingersreid
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

077AA4F4-6F25-4ACA-BF25-22F47F4AE30F.jpeg

8E4610B4-40AF-470E-BE62-C2B6FA063282.jpeg

Prince Charlie’s army stopped there , however a King lived in the houses just past there on the right 

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What a prize fud!!!

Didn’t see it, so moved back in the street...Only on to PIER PLACE🤯

The more I looked at it, the more i kept thinking what the hell am I missing, oh yeah...my brain🤪

Looking East from the roundabout Pier Place to the left and Main St with the Anchor Inn to the right

Newhaven.thumb.jpeg.7ec7cf82674a5b0e8445e73005af178d.jpeg

Edited by Stuart Lyon

6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

this one. 

I ken Arthur's Seat and the Craigs. 

but 

5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

In the old coal station.

Hugh Leckie & Sons coal merchant at St Leonards Station.

It was one of their lorries that crashed at the bottom of Arthur Street (posted by someone a while back).

0_street_views_-_arthur_street_coal_lorr

luckyBatistuta
39 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

LB it took me ages to realise I had this photo!

I’m sure it’s been on the thread before, but it is a great picture though.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Prince Charlie’s army stopped there , however a King lived in the houses just past there on the right 

Correct.