• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, obua said:

Pc Sharp?

Never got to wear the helmet, one of the things I missed in my life that I would like to have done

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

gettyimages-612219552-612x612.jpg

Bottom corner of Gayfield Square

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

D0DE0651-92FC-421D-8AD0-C08C5FAA41CA.jpeg

Can’t Place it yet?

20 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Never got to wear the helmet, one of the things I missed in my life that I would like to have done

Out for breakfast with a mate of mine who is retired from the traffic, thinks he remembers you bob (you’ve been away a while, but not forgotten)?

Radio Ga Ga
37 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can’t Place it yet?

Out for breakfast with a mate of mine who is retired from the traffic, thinks he remembers you bob (you’ve been away a while, but not forgotten)?

McDonald Road Library being built

38 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can’t Place it yet?

Thats interesting, been away over fifty years, on another forum saw some names I knew well.

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

McDonald Road Library being built

Would never have got that.

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Thats interesting, been away over fifty years, on another forum saw some names I knew well.

He’s been retired for quite a few years now. He’ll have been a young lad just starting out.

J.T.F.Robertson
18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

7B0AE478-FA77-4457-8F5E-292CBACAE1F2.jpeg

17 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Salisbury Street?

I remember that pub although I was waaay too young to have been inside. (honest)

The White Cockade
17 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Salisbury Street?

my old man lived on Salisbury Street until they bulldozered them and moved the people out to Craigmillar

I saw the Salisbury Street photo at the Robert Blomfield exhibition. I know roughly where it was but whats on top of it now?

48 minutes ago, Big Bazza said:

I saw the Salisbury Street photo at the Robert Blomfield exhibition. I know roughly where it was but whats on top of it now?

20 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

7B0AE478-FA77-4457-8F5E-292CBACAE1F2.jpeg

I think the pub above is the P.H on on the corner of Salisbury St on the map below.  The cafe marked on the right of the google pic is at the No 52 over the road from the P.H.

Salisbury-st.jpg

salisbury2.jpg

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

41629787.jpg.jpg

I mind a tyre man on the Wisp, but it was white. Is that the same one?

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Big Bazza said:

We went to that as well. It was good, but was left feeling a little disappointed, as it was only a small percentage of his work that was on display.

12 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Pretty sure that’s the one, just at the bad bend.

Maroon Sailor
44 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Not sure if I can remember the white. I remember this guy though

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

4c58b9e317e8e5eb1d57339e05051ab3.jpg

‘Broughton street looking over to Barony Street.

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

6017027_850485c4.jpg

Bernard Terrace

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

When and why did the Police forces in Scotland stop wearing it ?

28 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

When and why did the Police forces in Scotland stop wearing it ?

I think it was about 1950/51. Mainly because they couldn't get enough applications from men with pointy heids, but they suggested it was just a modernisation thing to go with the new tunics and collar and tie.

The White Cockade
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

ah mind that as well

Michelin Man?

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Broughton street looking over to Barony Street.

Bernard Terrace

I was thinking that was west Maitland place looking towards Stockbridge.

luckyBatistuta
40 minutes ago, obua said:

I was thinking that was west Maitland place looking towards Stockbridge.

Good spot, taken from St Stephen Street. Shows you just how many flats were knocked down.

7A4AE025-6C84-47A3-BE3C-4EB2B6EA4B5F.jpeg

1AD48E67-6706-41D9-BD2D-28046ECC28FE.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

my old man lived on Salisbury Street until they bulldozered them and moved the people out to Craigmillar

I stayed in Brown Strreet that’s how I recognised the street.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I think it was about 1950/51. Mainly because they couldn't get enough applications from men with pointy heids, but they suggested it was just a modernisation thing to go with the new tunics and collar and tie.

The British Transport Police must have been a lot later as I remember them wearing these helmets at Waverley Station in the late fifties.

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

Is that uche in a pink morph suit?

It's probably running from Uche.

Dont want to be rude here (as I only dip in and out of the thread) but I'm a bit disappointed its turned into a 'Where is this?' thread but just for old pictures of Edinburgh. I did mention it previously, with much agreement, but alas, its continued.

Maybe I'm just an auld grump. I'd rather we were told where things were and could reminisce (or otherwise!) that some guessing game.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Dont want to be rude here (as I only dip in and out of the thread) but I'm a bit disappointed its turned into a 'Where is this?' thread but just for old pictures of Edinburgh. I did mention it previously, with much agreement, but alas, its continued.

Maybe I'm just an auld grump. I'd rather we were told where things were and could reminisce (or otherwise!) that some guessing game.

I agree, I’ve been guilty of posting pictures of locations in the city that I’ve known where they have been taken. There will obviously be the odd picture that will need some detective work. It would make it a lot easier though, for folk that just want to look in and marvel at all the old pictures and read about the history behind them, rather than trawling through loads of posts that are just guesses. 

9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I agree, I’ve been guilty of posting pictures of locations in the city that I’ve known where they have been taken. There will obviously be the odd picture that will need some detective work. It would make it a lot easier though, for folk that just want to look in and marvel at all the old pictures and read about the history behind them, rather than trawling through loads of posts that are just guesses. 

Cheers for that. :thumbsup:

I'm not on here particularly often these days but this is one of the best threads on here. I've always thought it would be greatly enhanced by saying where it was and getting folk talking, rather than a guessing game.

If there's genuinely 'where the feck is that', then thats different. :thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

Cheers for that. :thumbsup:

I'm not on here particularly often these days but this is one of the best threads on here. I've always thought it would be greatly enhanced by saying where it was and getting folk talking, rather than a guessing game.

If there's genuinely 'where the feck is that', then thats different. :thumbsup:

Totally agree about the style of the thread going forward. It is definitely one of the best threads I’ve seen on here over the years. Unbelievable what we have all discovered  about the history of our fine city from this thread, long may it last.

Another thing on the subject, slim possibility we might end up with a few American Hearts supporters in the future. I’ve been directing loads of tourists, who say how much they’ve fell in love with Edinburgh, to check out this thread and they’ll be blown away with the vast amount of old photography that we’ve all taken a part in unearthing.

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

d51900c3714e346080757b48090b7a0b.png

I think that's North West Circus Place, looking down to Stockbridge.

12 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Bernard Terrace?

A fine piece of detective work Bob.  The tenement with the asymmetrical roof is over the road from the Nelson Hall, which you can see on the left. 

28 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bay-City-Rollers.jpg

Here's another angle showing a distinctive looking building.

7be7bd5ef889356d705fae03bfc801f0.jpg

Maroon Sailor

I was watching a documentary on The BCR's and I remember a woman recalling the old never meet your heroes kind of thing.

As a young girl her and a few of her mates got to meet the band backstage and were invited to a party after.  She had a massive crush on Les.

She left heartbroken as she found him to be a bit of an arsehole !

Shattered illusions

been here before
11 hours ago, Chester™ said:

True that. The pictures are interesting but its a pain in the arse havung to keep coming back to find out where or what they are.

11 hours ago, Chester™ said:

I agree, Chester.

My wife likes this thread too, but it’s a bit of a pain having to scroll back maybe a couple of pages to find out where someplace is.

It’s  like this thread has replicated the ‘Where is this’ thread.