Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: while maybe it fits the description I'm not sure about the picture!

Sorry. I couldn't not do it.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
On 22/02/2019 at 18:18, Radio Ga Ga said:

B1824BF8-CA80-4020-8E48-3C3382E58000.jpeg

44 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

This one is doing me in!  Very industrial with a long street ... Gorgie/Dalry Road? Slateford?  Put me out of my misery please.

Looking down Leith Walk with Pilrig and St Pauls church in the middle would be my guess.

ArcticJambo
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Looking down Leith Walk with Pilrig and St Pauls church in the middle would be my guess.

Think you could well be right.  The lack of tenements from Albert St down to Lorne St through me; assuming then, that the photo was taken tenement pre-build, or I'm just not seeing them in the pic.  :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, been here before said:

24 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Think you could well be right.  The lack of tenements from Albert St down to Lorne St through me; assuming then, that the photo was taken tenement pre-build, or I'm just not seeing them in the pic.  :thumbsup:

MARBLE.jpg

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bridge Place/Glenogle Road

Good find.Not an area of Edinburgh I am familiar with but Google street view would back you up. 

Hugh Phamism
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Problem Solved

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

Both of these are Bo'ness 1949

South Street top and Corbiehall (Hastons Garage and Star Picture House) bottom pic

Hugh Phamism
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

These somehow ended up with pictures of Edinburgh in 1949. Understandable if it was someone from another country.

I posted them because I had no idea where they were and was wondering if they were areas that had been redeveloped. The lamppost in the bottom picture are similar to those Edinburgh had / have.

Most probably came out of Bo'ness Iron works or Ballantines Foundry. I live in a conservation area in Bo'ness and have had the exact same lamposts re-installed in recent years.

25 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

South Street top and Corbiehall (Hastons Garage and Star Picture House) bottom pic

What happened to the clock tower in the bottom pic? I can't see it in streetview.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

What happened to the clock tower in the bottom pic? I can't see it in streetview.

So what’s the red and green thing in the middle?

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

So what’s the red and green thing in the middle?

If that's a garage on the left, could they be petrol pumps?  That's what I thought they looked like, before I knew there was a garage there.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

If that's a garage on the left, could they be petrol pumps?  That's what I thought they looked like, before I knew there was a garage there.

Good shout, wouldn’t have thought of that.

been here before
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Green and yellow pumps were BP and red ones were Shell.

42 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Good shout, wouldn’t have thought of that.

Well they're quite far from the garage. 

30 minutes ago, been here before said:

Green and yellow pumps were BP and red ones were Shell.

?

Hugh Phamism
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

The town clock tower was knocked down late 50's or early 60's I think. The clock, in a new wrought iron frame is still in the same position on North Street - across from Liddle & Anderson Estate Agents.

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Most probably came out of Bo'ness Iron works or Ballantines Foundry. I live in a conservation area in Bo'ness and have had the exact same lamposts re-installed in recent years.

Those little snippets of info like that are an added bonus to this thread. It was meant to be those pics being in amongst the Edinburgh pics of that time. Every day is a school day. I've seen those black and white posts in the bottom pic in some old Edinburgh phots as well. Not sure what they signify though

48 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Those little snippets of info like that are an added bonus to this thread. It was meant to be those pics being in amongst the Edinburgh pics of that time. Every day is a school day. I've seen those black and white posts in the bottom pic in some old Edinburgh phots as well. Not sure what they signify though

Looking back at some of the photo's in this thread, it looks like there was a fad for having black and white poles for street signs and traffic lights at one point. There's one in the photo you posted above.

Hugh Phamism
9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Looking back at some of the photo's in this thread, it looks like there was a fad for having black and white poles for street signs and traffic lights at one point. There's one in the photo you posted above.

Just a guess, but maybe an old style Bus Stop. 

3 hours ago, obua said:

D61B150F-4D17-407F-B942-58019364DCA7.jpeg.ddad746d141cfdc3fdd55f843e2c25dc.jpeg

To my mind thats how all signs were posted, Stop, , Zebra Crossings, Traffic Light, Advisory signs, it semed everything was like that.

...a bit disco
On 14/03/2019 at 22:17, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3640.JPG

This could be Rotterdam or anywhere.

:whistling:

4 hours ago, obua said:

D61B150F-4D17-407F-B942-58019364DCA7.jpeg.ddad746d141cfdc3fdd55f843e2c25dc.jpeg

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

To my mind thats how all signs were posted, Stop, , Zebra Crossings, Traffic Light, Advisory signs, it semed everything was like that.

The poles at the zebra crossings on George Street are stripey, as are the ones at Sainsbury at Straiton and Asda at Chesser.  I've not noticed any others on my travels today, so maybe they're mostly used at non-light controlled pedestrian crossings now. 

6 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

This could be Rotterdam or anywhere.

:whistling:

The Artisan, in the not so beautiful east.

...a bit disco
Just now, Lemongrab said:

The Artisan, in the not so beautiful east.

Not Liverpool or Rome then?

1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

Nah, but you can bet that the whole place is pickled, the people are pickled for sure.

...a bit disco
49 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Nah, but you can bet that the whole place is pickled, the people are pickled for sure.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ...a bit disco said:

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Did either of you notice that all the men are gargoyles?

...a bit disco
17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Did either of you notice that all the men are gargoyles?

Dipped long in Irish Stout?

Of course M!

1 hour ago, Sydney said:

I love the old lamp post designs on Princes Street.

Up until a couple of years ago, there was a council depot on Balcarres Street which had a selection of old street lamps in it. I wonder what they did with them?

Here's a google streetview pic, (sorry it's not very clear), from 2014 which shows some of them.

balcares.jpg