• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's 100% not Oxgangs.

The perspective of the photo is deceiving.

It's a lot further away than you think.

I’ve taken a line from that view to the T trees and I’m not coming up with anywhere that looks remotely like that picture...I’m not convinced:P

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this Powderhall ? 

It is - the old chocolate factory

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve taken a line from that view to the T trees and I’m not coming up with anywhere that looks remotely like that picture...I’m not convinced:P

I'm convinced it's not Oxgangs but totally stumped as to where it actually is.

Maybe it should go in the 'Where is this' thread. :(

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm convinced it's not Oxgangs but totally stumped as to where it actually is.

Maybe it should go in the 'Where is this' thread. :(

The large cluster of trees in the background, plus the angle looking up to the T-Wood tell me it’s not Oxgangs either.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not convinced:P

Got it. 

The original is taken from the North side of Ferry Road. The buildings in the foreground have all been demolished and are now the Ferry Gait estate. Some of the buildings in the background are still there. If you look closely at the original you can see East Craiglockhart hill to the left and you can almost make out Craighouse. West Craiglockhart hill is dead centre in front of the T woods.

Oxgangs. Pfft. Miles away :P

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Got it. 

The original is taken from the North side of Ferry Road. The buildings in the foreground have all been demolished and are now the Ferry Gait estate. Some of the buildings in the background are still there. If you look closely at the original you can see East Craiglockhart hill to the left and you can almost make out Craighouse. West Craiglockhart hill is dead centre in front of the T woods.

Well done.

I would never have got that.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Got it. 

Nice one.

(If you right-click the picture and choose 'search google', it suggests 'old Muirhouse' as a related search. If you search for that and look at the images, you get that photo which it titled Muirhouse Park 1984.)

N Lincs Jambo
10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Nice one.

(If you right-click the picture and choose 'search google', it suggests 'old Muirhouse' as a related search. If you search for that and look at the images, you get that photo which it titled Muirhouse Park 1984.)

Which browser are you using Lemongrab? I've tried this using Firefox and it doesn't give me a Search Google option.

Just now, N Lincs Jambo said:

Which browser are you using Lemongrab? I've tried this using Firefox and it doesn't give me a Search Google option.

Chrome.

N Lincs Jambo
2 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Chrome.

Cheers for that! I'll try it now

N Lincs Jambo
12 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Chrome.

Works great in Chrome! Thanks again

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Got it. 

:rofl:  great little bit of detective work there...wrong again:untitled:

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Nice one.

Has Lemongrab exposed himself on the ‘where is this’ thread :vrwow:

45 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:rofl:  great little bit of detective work there...wrong again:untitled:

Has Lemongrab exposed himself on the ‘where is this’ thread :vrwow:

:oohmatron:

After the first four words, I was checking my webcam was off.

I tried it on that thread years ago, but it was pretty useless. I think I actually posted about it at the time, and someone (maybe even yourself) gave an almost identical reply to what you posted.   It might work if someone's just lifted a photo from the internet though. :61:

Edited by Lemongrab

luckyBatistuta
30 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

BB1CC895-7005-4183-84A5-1D3F9EDD1BDA.jpeg

Looking down to Scumsville

21 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

5948668E-C29A-487B-BDE1-FFFDD61A3585.jpeg

Not sure which one, possibly Restalrig Terr?

1681452403_craigentinnybomb.jpg.042aa07748584c87a73da51b2877c902.jpg

An end of terrace block of flats demolished by a German bomb in 1942.

They'd been trying to hit the Munro's textile factory in Restalrig but overshot, with two bombs landing in the grounds of Craigentinny castle demolishing a bit if the 16th century castle itself and two more bombs hitting this block of flats.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

D1396221-A676-4481-965D-EF13A597C08B.jpeg

The old Roxy , John Lennon frequented there I’m told ?

luckyBatistuta

Was at the Blomsfield old Edinburgh photography exhibition on Market street today. It had some cracking photographs of life through the years in Edinburgh and is well worth a visit (free) but couldn’t help feeling they could have exhibited more of his work, which he clearly has. Anyway, on to my point now. On the way around, my father (aged 76) said there was once a photograph of himself as a child, with another boy playing pitch and putt at Bruntsfield links, which was in the Readers Digest. If anyone was to come across/find  this photograph, it would be greatly appreciated, as my dad would love to see it again. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Was at the Blomsfield old Edinburgh photography exhibition on Market street today. It had some cracking photographs of life through the years in Edinburgh and is well worth a visit (free) but couldn’t help feeling they could have exhibited more of his work, which he clearly has. Anyway, on to my point now. On the way around, my father (aged 76) said there was once a photograph of himself as a child, with another boy playing pitch and putt at Bruntsfield links, which was in the Readers Digest. If anyone was to come across/find  this photograph, it would be greatly appreciated, as my dad would love to see it again. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I know I’m quoting my own post, not having any luck with this, but gave found these beauties 

C13390F3-F128-4C9A-9779-9D9F40561DC4.jpeg

11941CA4-8A33-4AFA-BF33-9B7483AF3FE7.jpeg

4BE5C17A-7331-449F-8A46-4AF399DC4B33.jpeg

B566E8B9-BFE7-4157-9CE1-E1729641332B.jpeg

606159BE-2173-49FD-9E67-018BB56A4007.jpeg

155BF69A-E920-4957-8620-F1B6E78B100E.jpeg

AC735228-DBBA-47DD-8D7D-D388C1646EB4.jpeg

82EAD480-19E6-4544-96DE-25C1EB97383B.jpeg

BE1FD6CB-B987-443E-B4EA-28768C66B5F9.jpeg

482DA1F6-F62D-4C63-A21B-B3EFDA6FD85A.jpeg

C6351C06-4BCB-46E7-9F0F-A4E7AA36F672.jpeg

23 hours ago, Hook said:

I think you’re right - I mistook the cream building on the right as the rugby stand.

It is the rugby stand, just not the one you thought. It's Heriot's rugby ground.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Was this at the East End of Princes Street ? 

IMG_3482.JPG.dedf95809be0edd9da012bf35f7c9c33.JPG

Yep, Mr Wimpy famously got beaten up by Hibs casuals.

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3480.JPG

Are we looking at the Flodden Wall at the Vennel with the Physics building of Heriots behind it?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yep, Mr Wimpy famously got beaten up by Hibs casuals.

Thought it was but I remember there was a Wimpy nearer the West End as well that got taken over by Burger King. 

Were both these Wimpy's open for business at the same time or did this one close for the bigger premises ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Are we looking at the Flooded Wall at the Vennel with the Physics building of Heriots behind it?

?

Keir Street

24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2656.JPG

Bruntsfield primary school, Sean Connery's school. 

54 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It is the rugby stand, just not the one you thought. It's Heriot's rugby ground.

Cheers Tazio ?

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3484.JPG

This is really annoying me. I think it's Dundas Street and Fettes Row, but that looks like train lines running parallel to Fettes Row and under Dundas St, which doesn't make any sense. 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

This is really annoying me. I think it's Dundas Street and Fettes Row, but that looks like train lines running parallel to Fettes Row and under Dundas St, which doesn't make any sense. 

I think you're spot on with the location.

Not sure that's a train line, although there was a goods yard just along a bit at Scotland St once upon a time so maybe something to do with that.