• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Meadowbank, but don’t remember the bridge. Was it temporary for the Commie games?

It was probably used by the athletes and officials

been here before
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Meadowbank, but don’t remember the bridge. Was it temporary for the Commie games?

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was probably used by the athletes and officials

The Army constructed a pedestrian bridge over London Road to Meadowbank Stadium before the Commonwealth Games of 1970.

I love it too but sadly I have nothing to do with it. I have established a connection with Peter Stubbs who runs it and he is very helpful in adding information and requests for info. He seems to spend less time on it now as the updates are few and far between. You may have noticed that he is very interested in photography and it's history and I think that's what he spends most of his time researching and doing including giving talks.

luckyBatistuta
On 25/02/2019 at 14:04, bobsharp said:

Old Meadowbank, the only stadium I ever playerd in during my football career. Of course other than the two teams there was no one else in the stadium. Also in the early days of speedway used to go down on  a Sunday and the Monarchs guys were doing work on their bikes, got to help them by pushing them to get the bikes started.

Hi bob, I’ve no idea of the year that this took place, but do you remember hearing anything about this?

The picture is of Michael Marino

546EEB54-9762-431D-9333-A20AA1EC0EDD.jpeg

A9934605-6BA1-4C0F-B0AE-81F8E8811233.jpeg

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Hi bob, I’ve no idea of the year that this took place, but do you remember hearing anything about this?

The picture is of Michael Marino

546EEB54-9762-431D-9333-A20AA1EC0EDD.jpeg

A9934605-6BA1-4C0F-B0AE-81F8E8811233.jpeg

I do not reacall the incident at all. It was in Leith so a different division , and the detectives names are not familiar. A shooting would be something one would remember though. I left in early 1967 so may have either been before 1952 or after "67.

luckyBatistuta
31 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I do not reacall the incident at all. It was in Leith so a different division , and the detectives names are not familiar. A shooting would be something one would remember though. I left in early 1967 so may have either been before 1952 or after "67.

Worth a try Bob. It was because he lived around the Pleasance area that I thought of yourself. I’m thinking it was before your time. Thanks anyway  :thumb:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Worth a try Bob. It was because he lived around the Pleasance area that I thought of yourself. I’m thinking it was before your time. Thanks anyway  :thumb:

It's probably pre 1948 as one of the stories on the right seems to be about some military action involving the British in India. 

Edited by Lemongrab

It happened on Tuesday 2 April 1985 - according to an article from Dundee Courier 4 April 1985 I found. KB won't let me upload copy of article? Here's the content of the article

Shooting Affray in Edinburgh - an Italian named Ferrimosa was admitted to the ERI on Tuesday night suffering from bullet wounds on his neck, face and shoulder. It is stated that he and another Italian named Marino, who keeps an ice-cream shop, met in the shop of Phillip Massima, another ice-cream dealer. Ferrimosa and Marino are stated to have quarrelled, and in the course of the altercation Marino drew a revolver, and fired three shots at Ferrimosa. The injuries are not reported to be of a serious character, and Marino has not so far been arrested.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

It's probably pre 1948 as one of the stories on the right seems to be about some military action involving the British in India. 

I never even thought to read the stories alongside. It mentions a Fort Chitr, but can’t see the rest of the name. This could possibly be the Fort Chitradurga in Karanataka, India. The only thing I’ve found is the Mysore war at there between...I think 1799-1804?

If that’s right...I really apologise Bob:lol:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

been here before
40 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It happened on Tuesday 2 April 1985 - according to an article from Dundee Courier 4 April 1985 I found. KB won't let me upload copy of article? Here's the content of the article

Shooting Affray in Edinburgh - an Italian named Ferrimosa was admitted to the ERI on Tuesday night suffering from bullet wounds on his neck, face and shoulder. It is stated that he and another Italian named Marino, who keeps an ice-cream shop, met in the shop of Phillip Massima, another ice-cream dealer. Ferrimosa and Marino are stated to have quarrelled, and in the course of the altercation Marino drew a revolver, and fired three shots at Ferrimosa. The injuries are not reported to be of a serious character, and Marino has not so far been arrested.

Theres no way that original article is from 1985. 

It might well be that the Courier is reporting it as one of there '50 years ago...' type features.

If thats the right date then Michael Marino is the only Leither not decked out in a shell suit in 1985.

luckyBatistuta
52 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The picture is of Marino who my pal is a relative and that certainly wasn’t taken in 1985

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

It might well be that the Courier is reporting it as one of there '50 years ago...' type features.

If thats the right date then Michael Marino is the only Leither not decked out in a shell suit in 1985.

:lol:

37 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I never even thought to read the stories alongside. It mentions a Fort Chitr, but can’t see the rest of the name. This could possibly be the Fort Chitradurga in Karanataka, India. The only thing I’ve found is the Mysore war at there between...I think 1799-1804?

If that’s right...I really apologise Bob:lol:

Chitral fort is about 150 miles as the crow flies  from the other place named, Gilgit.

Nice one from stuart, which is maybe 1885?  :D

I thought the US Navy uniforms in the your photo on the other thread looked like they were from the 20's or 30's. 

Edited by SUTOL

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Chitral fort is about 150 miles as the crow flies  from the other place named, Gilgit.

Nice one from stuart, which is maybe 1885?  :D

Is the Chitral fort different to the one I posted. What year were the British forces there?

edit: looks like around 1895

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

I thought the US Navy uniforms in the your photo on the other thread looked like they were from the 20's or 30's. 

Sorry Sutol, maybe getting folk confused. The two men in that photo are related to the shooter in Edinburgh, but no idea if it was around the same time.

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Marino was shipped off to New York after the shooting.

And now posts on here!

:biggrin: 

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sorry Sutol, maybe getting folk confused. The two men in that photo are related to the shooter in Edinburgh, but no idea if it was around the same time.

No worries I wrongly thought the shooter was in the other photo.

Carl Fredrickson

Saw this link to the Scotsman site with a number of photos from Dumbiedykes 

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/these-22-images-show-edinburgh-s-dumbiedykes-before-during-and-after-slum-clearance-1-4880691?fbclid=IwAR10NlM5v76wGqPivRY4kAlBUl6PsM2ufgfV58CrwOT1MSb-5QqMBlXjwUI

A few have already been posted but it shows the old buildings and what replaced them. Not sure if they were an improvement. Personally prefer the look of the old buildings and would rather they were restored (if possible). The replacements were bland concrete and the play areas for kids werent too appealing. 

Sure Bob and others will recognise a lot of the old streets. 

14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/these-22-images-show-edinburgh-s-dumbiedykes-before-during-and-after-slum-clearance-1-4880691?fbclid=IwAR10NlM5v76wGqPivRY4kAlBUl6PsM2ufgfV58CrwOT1MSb-5QqMBlXjwUI

A few have already been posted but it shows the old buildings and what replaced them. Not sure if they were an improvement. Personally prefer the look of the old buildings and would rather they were restored (if possible). The replacements were bland concrete and the play areas for kids werent too appealing. 

I certainly recognise the old picturees, the one of Heriot Mount where my chase started, and the one of Salisbury Street where I ended up lying on my back with the two guys I was chasing asking Polis are you alright, and on being told yes, took off again. The view down Arthur Street with the old police box at the entrance to the park. I still get a thrill at looking at and remembering those areas which were my introduction to police work which extended to thirty six years, and ended with rank and position I at that stage had never envisioned.

On 25/02/2019 at 09:40, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3257.JPG

Where’s this one , I’m sure I’ve seen it before but it’s not getting thru the grey matter 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Where’s this one , I’m sure I’ve seen it before but it’s not getting thru the grey matter 

Meadowbank

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Meadowbank

Cheers , it’s not what I thought it was but I can see meadowbank now , I’m going to have to find that other picture now ?

14 hours ago, been here before said:

It should have read 1895! Sorry!

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It should have read 1895! Sorry!

It was indeed Stuart, just got sent this...

5DCF1A5A-FCBE-4D15-BBB6-ADF403DAAF73.jpeg

23 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Yeah it looks like they replaced the slums with slums.  Pretty minging area of Edinburgh.

22 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

85340538-D84F-473A-B60E-42FEA94ECE9D.jpeg

Newhaven.  It had me puzzled at first, until I realised the railway didn't exist now.

On 24/02/2019 at 01:57, Radio Ga Ga said:

23071717-168C-4B1D-A47F-BCA5DDB96156.jpeg

First thought was the Grassmarket area with the Forestry Commision building in the background but now I'm thinking Forrest Road, Bristo Place?

Montgomery Brewster
25 minutes ago, Locky said:

First thought was the Grassmarket area with the Forestry Commision building in the background but now I'm thinking Forrest Road, Bristo Place?

Bristo street. All gone now sadly

J.T.F.Robertson
On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 12:15, Carl Fredrickson said:

I grew up (questionable) right around that area, in the Pleasance, directly across from the old Carnegie Street. We were kids at the time and never thought about it, but when you look back at it now, what a fekin dump. 

Although only "next door", our tenement was salubrious in comparison.

Had a giggle at your "restoration" preference. They only just managed to demolish the fekers before they collapsed.

The Real Maroonblood
21 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Yeah it looks like they replaced the slums with slums.  Pretty minging area of Edinburgh.

Thanks for these photos. Brings back lots of great memories despite the living conditions.

Stayed in. Brown Street from 1949 - 1960

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Forestry Commission ? prior to moving to Corstorphine they were in Drumshuch Gardens? Do you mean the building thats similar to the old Barnardos building in Corstorphine?

26 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Forestry Commission ? prior to moving to Corstorphine they were in Drumshuch Gardens? Do you mean the building thats similar to the old Barnardos building in Corstorphine?

Just looked up. It's now PIP consultation centre which I'm sure was formerly on York Place.

It's the big office on Lady Lawson Street I was referring to anyway. Pretty sure a part of it was Forestry Commision a few years ago. My ex had a cleaning job there and I'm sure that's what she said it was.

Randy Marsh
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks for these photos. Brings back lots of great memories despite the living conditions.

Stayed in. Brown Street from 1949 - 1960

I find it strange that those tenements were completely demolished.  They looked like good buildings that just needed done up.  The two high rises and other stairs there now that replaced them look far far worse.

luckyBatistuta
23 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I find it strange that those tenements were completely demolished.  They looked like good buildings that just needed done up.  The two high rises and other stairs there now that replaced them look far far worse.

The ones in Salisbury street certainly did.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

They probably didn’t think it was worth keeping the ones that were in a decent condition.

9 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

According to this, a lot of the tenements were built with poor foundations in the early 1800s, with a tenement collapse in 1959 sealing their fate.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

According to this, a lot of the tenements were built with poor foundations in the early 1800s, with a tenement collapse in 1959 sealing their fate.

Never new that.

Well Done.

58 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Morrison St?

Nice one. I knew I'd seen that curved building on the corner somewhere.

Shanks said no
35 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Nice one. I knew I'd seen that curved building on the corner somewhere.

79-115 Morrison Street were built in the 1820s in what had been the grounds of a substantial property called Gardeners Hall.

This stretch of road was known as Tobago Street in maps up to 1888, at which point it was merged into Morrison Street.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

79-115 Morrison Street were built in the 1820s in what had been the grounds of a substantial property called Gardeners Hall.

This stretch of road was known as Tobago Street in maps up to 1888, at which point it was merged into Morrison Street.

Interesting. ?