Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

TBF, when you're charging around £4.50-£5 upwards for a pint in some of these 'high-class' establishments, its little wonder no one goes out. Those prices are now creeping into local bars as well.

As for the restaurants, some of the prices are ridiculous. Lots of owners out there seem to think every Edinburgh local is loaded.

Agree with you, it’s a seriously expensive night out up the town these days, unless you’re a female and you fancy taking advantage of the desperados out there :lol:

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

:bwcornette:  let’s hope none of the tourists ever witnessed that.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:bwcornette:  let’s hope none of the tourists ever witnessed that.

To think it used to be a bus terminus. Bet it was a quick turnaround to ........ Broomie !

Nae luck

Anyone recognise that road below ?

IMG_0911.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

To think it used to be a bus terminus. Bet it was a quick turnaround to ........ Broomie !

Nae luck

IMG_0911.JPG

Bet it was :laugh:

is that the corner where Vittorias on the walk is now?

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nae luck

Anyone recognise that road below ?

IMG_0911.JPG

Easter Road?

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Easter Road?

Looks like Leith Walk, with Brunswick Street behind  to me.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Yep. 

Yaas, that makes up for my Nicholson Street/Lothian Road.

14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Bet it was :laugh:

is that the corner where Vittorias on the walk is now?

Untitled.jpg

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

Untitled.jpg

Pillar box is still there

IMG_0911.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

These photos confused the pish out of me for ages.

They're supposedly of the Netherbow Port city gate, which stood on the Royal Mile, at the top of St Mary's street and formed part of the Flodden Wall which was built in the early 1500s.

It was extended and built upon over the years, including a large clock tower then was eventually demolished in 1764 as an obstruction to traffic.

The footprint of this huge city gate can still be seen today, marked out in the brass cobbles on that junction.

What confused me is how we managed to get photographs of something that was demolished around a hundred years before photography was invented.

The structure in the pictures also looked a little bit too wee to have been the imposing city gate seen in earlier drawings.

It turns out that the photos date to 1886, when Edinburgh held a huge International Exhibition on the Meadows, and featured a "living museum" mock-up of a section of the High Street, with copies of landmark buildings all being crammed into a small section of the Exhibition and actors in period dress milling about to bring life to the fake street.

It is from this Exhibition that the whalebone arch in the Meadows also dates from.

5b3660d9c07ca_OldTownGuard.jpg.1d54f6ef71835736b8c40e3e8f100177.jpg5b3660e9edc50_BlackTurnpikeandNetherbowPort.jpg.7a278408ba802278a70486170dfbb1b4.jpg5b3660c74c94d_NetherbowPort.jpg.f50f04304fd459c425b1bea3f791ecd9.jpg 

Here's a sketch of the original Netherbow:

5b3661085d568_NetherbowPort(2).jpg.6923bb72022045bb3d31b88165cd0da0.jpg

The brass cobbles marking it's location:

5b3661e443217_netherbow_portbrass.jpg.8cebd352cc526cea60e64c7a0ce12da7.jpg

And finally, a picture of the Exhibition itself. The fake High Street can be seen at the back. The giant exhibition halls were demolished soon after the end of the event.

5b366178a04eb_InternationalExhibition1886.jpg.b81416af8d02e5be7099d52a53e3bf20.jpg

On 6/28/2018 at 13:22, luckyBatistuta said:

Portobello promenade 1952

Here's a couple of re-coloured ones of Portobello from the early 1900s, including the Pier.

embra recolour2.jpg

embra recolour3.jpg

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

Untitled.jpg

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Here's a couple of re-coloured ones of Portobello from the early 1900s, including the Pier.

embra recolour2.jpg

embra recolour3.jpg

And that was there big holiday to look forward to. No Ibiza/Tenerife/Florida for them :(

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

They're supposedly of the Netherbow Port city gate, which stood on the Royal Mile, at the top of St Mary's street and formed part of the Flodden Wall which was built in the early 1500s.

It was extended and built upon over the years, including a large clock tower then was eventually demolished in 1764 as an obstruction to traffic.

The footprint of this huge city gate can still be seen today, marked out in the brass cobbles on that junction.

What confused me is how we managed to get photographs of something that was demolished around a hundred years before photography was invented.

The structure in the pictures also looked a little bit too wee to have been the imposing city gate seen in earlier drawings.

It turns out that the photos date to 1886, when Edinburgh held a huge International Exhibition on the Meadows, and featured a "living museum" mock-up of a section of the High Street, with copies of landmark buildings all being crammed into a small section of the Exhibition and actors in period dress milling about to bring life to the fake street.

It is from this Exhibition that the whalebone arch in the Meadows also dates from.

5b3660d9c07ca_OldTownGuard.jpg.1d54f6ef71835736b8c40e3e8f100177.jpg5b3660e9edc50_BlackTurnpikeandNetherbowPort.jpg.7a278408ba802278a70486170dfbb1b4.jpg5b3660c74c94d_NetherbowPort.jpg.f50f04304fd459c425b1bea3f791ecd9.jpg 

And finally, a picture of the Exhibition itself. The fake High Street can be seen at the back. The giant exhibition halls were demolished soon after the end of the event.

5b366178a04eb_InternationalExhibition1886.jpg.b81416af8d02e5be7099d52a53e3bf20.jpg

‘That’s one hell of an impressive exhibition. Never going to look at a lot of these really old pictures in the same way now, will always be wondering if they’re real or not. :(

On 6/28/2018 at 03:39, Sydney said:

512740032_9044620725_b.jpg

Before the modern Waverley Market (is that what its called?) was built, and after whatever this thing in front of the North British was knocked down (was it an actual real market?), I am sure I remember my mum parking in a carpark in the gap site in the 1970s when we went shopping up town.  Does anyone else remember the carpark, or am I completely making it up?

1979696_694170783973941_2135139067_n.jpg

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1643.JPG

Chancelot  mill there. Turn left for Ocean Terminal. Marching scenes for just another Saturday orange March scenes filmed along that road as they couldn't film in Glasgow  for obvious reasons.

Edited by John Findlay

John Findlay
30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0914.JPG

Now your talking. There will be many wishing that pool was still open after the very recent hot weather.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Chancelot  mill there. Turn left for Ocean Terminal. Marching scenes for just another Saturday orange March scenes filmed along that road as they couldn't film in Glasgow  for obvious reasons.

Turn right for Ocean Terminal which wasn’t there yet and left for North Junction Street you mean. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

The original Netherbow clock now sits on the top of the Dean Gallery, opposite the museum of modern art. It’s the only part of the original building that survived.  ??

alwaysthereinspirit
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 16:43, New York Fleapit said:

I hope this thread grows and grows. My grandad worked on the railways 50 years, has a mine of knowledge but can’t see or hear too well nowadays. He is 103 though! He’d love this thread. Years ago a guy from the national archives came to see him and they both sat down and my grandad talked at great length about the old rail network around the city. It’s all on tape, too. I’ll ask him if he still has copies. 

My dad was a fireman (stoker) 1954/68. Still has forearms like Popeye.  My kids loved the old stories. Cooking bacon/eggs on the shovel directly over the fire.

My Grandfather lived on Niddrie Mains Terrace with the back of the building next to the train line. I remember standing on the window sill and as the train went by my Dad would sound the old steam horn. Memories. 

6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Where about is that? 

Hay Drive Craigmillar

Edited by ando1504

Just now, Herbert said:

Was it in trainspotting or acid House? It looks really familiar 

Think it was in Acid House yeah.

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, ando1504 said:

Anyone want to hazard a guess where this is?

Untitled.jpg

Wrong thread - Where Is This is the one for you :)

I will guess at the start of Muirhouse?

3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It's what was the Craigleith Poorhouse which later became the Western General Hospital

6 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

More recent image, from another angle, buildings circled are the ones in the original.

Untitled3.jpg

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is that the Western Approach Road?

It is

IMG_0936.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Carl Fredrickson
46 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

More recent image, from another angle, buildings circled are the ones in the original.

Untitled3.jpg

I hate going to the Western as it is an awful place to find your way around. The older buildings are far better looking (though no doubt less practical) than the newer ones.