Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Not sure where that bus is - it's Niddrie but I only remember buses going along the main road to Hay Drive

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure where that bus is - it's Niddrie but I only remember buses going along the main road to Hay Drive

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The # 2 went from Broomhouse to Newcraighall, the terminus at Newcraighall was a half circle, on the right going into the village but before going under the railway bridge. The Miners Institute was quite close just a few yard up the road. I remember it well because I used to get a #2 bus at the police box on Newcraighall Road just up from the crossroads, and coming off night shift snoozed all the way to Broomhouse where I got off at the terminus and walked home to 25 Wester Broom Drive. There was not a lot between Hay Drive and the village, so there may have been a staggering of buses. When I think of it there was a #2 route from Surgeons Hall to Hay Drive. 

8 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The # 2 went from Broomhouse to Newcraighall, the terminus at Newcraighall was a half circle, on the right going into the village but before going under the railway bridge. The Miners Institute was quite close just a few yard up the road. I remember it well because I used to get a #2 bus at the police box on Newcraighall Road just up from the crossroads, and coming off night shift snoozed all the way to Broomhouse where I got off at the terminus and walked home to 25 Wester Broom Drive. There was not a lot between Hay Drive and the village, so there may have been a staggering of buses. When I think of it there was a #2 route from Surgeons Hall to Hay Drive. 

Another wee that route story. There was a night bus ran pretty well that route. John Castle got a call at Niddrie to go to Braid Place for something. After he got on the bus, at another stop a dog jumped on to the bus, a man at the next stop went to get off and the dog a stray, got vicious and would not let anyone on or off. No phones, no polis seen until somewhere well away from Braid Place and they finally got help and got the dog off, John had a problem explaining his tardiness, and was stuck with the story for a long time after.

Edited by bobsharp

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Vauxhall Viva but where ?

IMG_3198.JPG

Morningside Park 

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1981 The ‘famous’ Bobbie’s Bookshop Dalry Rd

A06108AF-87FB-4FCD-9868-2C3FFFE83FA5.jpeg

Who is Pamela, and who sent her the letters?

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Never noticed that?

N Lincs Jambo
19 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Billy Connolly perhaps? Would that not have been about the time BC left his wife for Pamela Stevenson? She was appearing regularly on Not the 9 O'Clock News at that time.

On 17/06/2019 at 15:22, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4023.JPG

Carlton Cinema at Piershill,  with the Abercorn Pub at the extreme right. I spent a lot of time in Piershill in the late 50's early to mid-60's at my Grans in Piershill Square East.

Site of the cinema is now part of the Morrisons supermarket complex, pub is now a Domino's Pizza place (I Think).Area behind the shops was Jocks Lodge playing Fields, happy times playing rugby there in the '70's against Royal High FP, more fun in the clubhouse with Broughton FP team-mates, now sadly passed on.

John mcCartney
37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4061.JPG

across the road from one of the entrances to stockbridge market

Maroon Sailor
56 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Dalry Road

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

3fingersreid