B6C59096-D498-4FBD-834E-A8639CDE9E8F.jpeg

892ED7D2-DC64-4510-9772-BBF277B03C03.png

6E90EC06-1957-4F4D-ADC4-183252589AEF.jpeg

Edited by Radio Ga Ga
The building at the top before demolishing for BHS

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, neilr61 said:

Is this at tollcross by any chance?

Not sure - I thought it was more the High Street going by the steps down from the pavement

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure - I thought it was more the High Street going by the steps down from the pavement

Aye, it's the Lawnmarket.  I think all those buildings are still there.

On 28/04/2019 at 10:26, Maroon Sailor said:

No idea where these are.

PAR166360.jpg.02a15e108c38bdbe27d72ea9ca964e16.jpg

PAR166336.jpg.623fe605c225a36d9feca1ab7c375418.jpg

That lower photo is intriguing me.  Don’t recognise the “Stewart Restaurant” building at all.  The film “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” was released in 1964.

Does anyone remember Spook Erection near Woolies at Tollcross?

I’ve tried to find a picture of it but with no success.

20 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

56342A2C-12F3-42F3-AC29-3110D2DB46E9.jpeg

There was a wee bookshop just where the back of that bus is,  Can’t remember it’s name.  We used to buy a little book called ‘The Wee Red Schoolbook’ in there.  Not to be confused with The Evening Times publication called The Wee Red Book which was all about football.

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was it an office? Im sure Spook Errection used to run Ingliston market. Great name.

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

That lower photo is intriguing me.  Don’t recognise the “Stewart Restaurant” building at all.  The film “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” was released in 1964.

I don't know where this is. I've spent the last couple of hours searching Google with no luck.

BT has put all its phone books online although you have to be a member of Ancestry to check.

Maybe someone can check for the “Stewart Restaurant” maybe the address is listed. 

30 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Was it an office? Im sure Spook Errection used to run Ingliston market. Great name.

No, not an office.  It was like a market type place that sold what you might call 'hippy stuff'. Clothes, sandals, records, joss sticks, that sort of thing. A bit like the Cockburn Street market and the other one that was on Forest Road in the premises that became the pub called Oddfellows, opposite Sandy Bells.

28 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I thought Spook erection used to operate out of the Methodist Hals in Earl Gray St before they moved to Ingliston

No Stuart. the other end of the block you're referring to, corner of Fountainbridge. 

Which reminds me, there was a pub there (long gone now) that I have never been able to remember the name of. I'm guessing around 1986?

Can you help?

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

No, not an office.  It was like a market type place that sold what you might call 'hippy stuff'. Clothes, sandals, records, joss sticks, that sort of thing. A bit like the Cockburn Street market and the other one that was on Forest Road in the premises that became the pub called Oddfellows, opposite Sandy Bells.

No Stuart. the other end of the block you're referring to, corner of Fountainbridge. 

Which reminds me, there was a pub there (long gone now) that I have never been able to remember the name of. I'm guessing around 1986?

Can you help?

Ah. ?

A poster called trex and Batistuta mentioned the spook erection market in a thread about old shops about 3 years ago.

As for the pub, there was a pub called the XL Bar there. (Courtesy of Mr Lyon on the edinphoto site).

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Ah. ?

A poster called trex and Batistuta mentioned the spook erection market in a thread about old shops about 3 years ago.

As for the pub, there was a pub called the XL Bar there. (Courtesy of Mr Lyon on the edinphoto site).

I think XL is the one I'm thinking of, thanks for that.

I'm somewhat unsurprised to learn that @luckyBatistuta was typing the words 'Spook Erection'.  :whistling:

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Bristo Street

0B8A5354-E4CC-40A2-86B5-686B09EB5A66.jpeg

Not seen that angle before 

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1966 London Road Roundabout 

A9E8BABF-E395-480A-BDF3-EFE1C39F3BB4.jpeg

BOAB!!!

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yup, sure do 

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I thought Spook erection used to operate out of the Methodist Hals in Earl Gray St before they moved to Ingliston

It took over the whole block from west tollcross to fountainbridge 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Can you help?

It was called Reds, then Greys

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think XL is the one I'm thinking of, thanks for that.

I'm somewhat unsurprised to learn that @luckyBatistuta was typing the words 'Spook Erection'.  :whistling:

My lawyers letter is in the post 

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not seen that angle before 

BOAB!!!

Yup, sure do 

It took over the whole block from west tollcross to fountainbridge 

It was called Reds, then Greys

My lawyers letter is in the post 

Greys actually sounds more familiar than the suggestion from Lemongrab, now that I think more about it. ?

My apology letter is in the post.  :sad: :sad: ?

Shanks said no
12 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Princes Street 1951

5CBDAD0B-AF80-4769-B9BE-23965D68AAA3.jpeg

1951 Festival of Britain Gathering of the clans in Edinburgh

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Greys actually sounds more familiar than the suggestion from Lemongrab, now that I think more about it. ?

My apology letter is in the post.  :sad: :sad: ?

This might jog your memory on it. It had a wall that was a giant screen made up of multiple tv’s. Quite fancy at the time, always had Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics playing on it.

33 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

This might jog your memory on it. It had a wall that was a giant screen made up of multiple tv’s. Quite fancy at the time, always had Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics playing on it.

That's annoying me now. I can't remember the place. I moved to Edinburgh in 81 and Sweet Dreams came out in 83, so I must have been in it as I was always knocking about tollcross. I mind buying a casio digital watch with 7 alarm tunes for £14 in AA Stores. How far to the right of there was it?

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bus looking ready to topple over

Edinburgh, Scotland From the 1960s (31).jpg

Maybe Janet is on board?

11 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Are they Edinburgh?

I gave up looking.  I couldn't find a mention of The Stewart Restaurant anywhere and was looking at old churches, as it must have previously been one with that window. I was even looking for old businesses with names like WR McPhee.

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That's annoying me now. I can't remember the place. I moved to Edinburgh in 81 and Sweet Dreams came out in 83, so I must have been in it as I was always knocking about tollcross. I mind buying a casio digital watch with 7 alarm tunes for £14 in AA Stores. How far to the right of there was it?

? I got a Six Million Dollar Man watch from there. Digital with six functions???

21 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Are they Edinburgh?

I don’t think they are, nothing there that looks familiar 

luckyBatistuta
48 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I might be wrong, but I think Reds, Greys was that Mind and Body shop. If it wasn’t that, it was the Dental place next door.

C43E33EE-9B1B-47C1-BC61-84F6BCDCF9DC.jpeg

Montgomery Brewster
51 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I might be wrong, but I think Reds, Greys was that Mind and Body shop. If it wasn’t that, it was the Dental place next door.

C43E33EE-9B1B-47C1-BC61-84F6BCDCF9DC.jpeg

It’s the dentist. Was also called minskys at one point before greys/reds

The only thing that’s coming up for me is in Inverness (Inglis Street).  There was a cinema there too, near the Station Hotel / Railway Station, and the whole area was cleared to build the Eastgate Shopping Centre in the 70s but I still can’t make it fit.

I’ll ask at work tomorrow.

7 hours ago, FWJ said:

The only thing that’s coming up for me is in Inverness (Inglis Street).  There was a cinema there too, near the Station Hotel / Railway Station, and the whole area was cleared to build the Eastgate Shopping Centre in the 70s but I still can’t make it fit.

I’ll ask at work tomorrow.

You're right it was Inverness. 

cropped-59726-740920839267453-364822160-

17 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

You're right it was Inverness. 

cropped-59726-740920839267453-364822160-

That's Inglis street,  with Hamilton street going down the back of the restaurant.