Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, Angry Haggis said:

Great pic - I am down at Porty allot at the spot of the old ourdoor swimming pool (now the Pitz/Ed Leisure) 

What’s that west of Kings Road - looks like a dog track.? Anyone know? 

That’s Marine Gardens (now occupied by Lothian Bus Depot). What we see in this photo is the outline of the former football ground. Leith Athletic FC played here from 1928 - 1936 before moving up the road to Old Meadowbank. Leith gained promotion to the old First Division in 1929-30 and spent two seasons in the top flight entertaining the likes of Hearts and the “Old Firm” at Marine Gardens.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should have added I think Marine Gardens was also used for speedway and dog racing. I think Edinburgh City FC also had a spell there.

A couple of photos of the football ground below. The top one shows the Leith ‘keeper retrieving the ball after a Celtic goal by Jimmy McGrory.

807DE792-80AD-4BB0-A9AF-9579FD6513BE.jpeg

BAF49F31-65E9-4CD4-8F00-72ECBBDC627C.jpeg

7 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Thanks for trying. I did find it on the Bookfinder website but no copies available.

You’re welcome, Stuart. I’ll keep my eyes peeled next time I’m browsing a bookshop!

18 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Thanks for trying. I did find it on the Bookfinder website but no copies available.

Hi Stuart - I noticed the 1971 edition is also listed on Amazon but showing as “currently unavailable”. There is mention of an ISBN number however: 9780950189000.

You may have already found this but if not, I hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211014_190616.jpg

West Norton place, looking down towards the junction of London Road & Easter Road.

The Bannon Flick
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

West Norton place, looking down towards the junction of London Road & Easter Road.

Always was a good spot to turn around and see the sea of Jambo's walking up Easter Road after another victory 😍

The Bannon Flick

Having not long joined JKB, I have to say that this is by far my most favourite thread.

Some absolutely brilliant pictures that bring back so many memories. Some make me happy, some make me sad (for stirring memories of people and places that are no longer there) and some just make me angry. I can't believe some of the absolutely beautiful buildings that have been inexplicably pulled down.

My favourites pictures though are just the mundane ones of nothing in particular - just ordinary folk going about their day not realising that they are being captured in time, in places that I used to pass through sitting in the back of my old man's car or on the top deck of the bus with my mum when I was younger. Places, streets and people I just haven't thought about for years.

Must be a sign of getting old but even some random street shots can get me emotional and longing for days gone by.

Oh to be able to invent a time machine. 

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread so far - and here's to many more. 

Well done everyone involved.

10 minutes ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Having not long joined JKB, I have to say that this is by far my most favourite thread.

Some absolutely brilliant pictures that bring back so many memories. Some make me happy, some make me sad (for stirring memories of people and places that are no longer there) and some just make me angry. I can't believe some of the absolutely beautiful buildings that have been inexplicably pulled down.

My favourites pictures though are just the mundane ones of nothing in particular - just ordinary folk going about their day not realising that they are being captured in time, in places that I used to pass through sitting in the back of my old man's car or on the top deck of the bus with my mum when I was younger. Places, streets and people I just haven't thought about for years.

Must be a sign of getting old but even some random street shots can get me emotional and longing for days gone by.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread so far - and here's to many more. 

Couldn’t agree more. Well said! 👍

4 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Hi Stuart - I noticed the 1971 edition is also listed on Amazon but showing as “currently unavailable”. There is mention of an ISBN number however: 9780950189000.

You may have already found this but if not, I hope this helps.

Thanks - I'll keep looking. Last resort is the National Library where I can probably photograph the book.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The Bannon Flick said:

👍

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Thanks - I'll keep looking. Last resort is the National Library where I can probably photograph the book.

I’ve seen it on offer (“new”) on a website called “GetTextbooks.com” - but it’s priced £29.48…🤔.

Trace it on the site using the ISBN.

3 hours ago, The Bannon Flick said:

On another forum I mentioned something similar. After fifty five years of life here in Canada, and with no relatives and few old friends left in Edinburgh a trip home to relive my memories would be a session of regret. So many of the areas of my memories are gone, Niddrie not what I knew. The Dumbiedykes etc. long gone. Police boxes such as Middle Meadow Walk some sort of coffee stall. I did see the new Tynecastle some time ago, not my Tynie, the memories are no longer physical they are now all locked in my old head, sad but life goes on.

46 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I’ve seen it on offer (“new”) on a website called “GetTextbooks.com” - but it’s priced £29.48…🤔.

Trace it on the site using the ISBN.

👍

On 14/10/2021 at 22:14, PortyBeach said:

I should have added I think Marine Gardens was also used for speedway and dog racing. I think Edinburgh City FC also had a spell there.

A couple of photos of the football ground below. The top one shows the Leith ‘keeper retrieving the ball after a Celtic goal by Jimmy McGrory.

807DE792-80AD-4BB0-A9AF-9579FD6513BE.jpeg

BAF49F31-65E9-4CD4-8F00-72ECBBDC627C.jpeg

That’s awesome - thanks for the description and pics. 

9 hours ago, Angry Haggis said:

That’s awesome - thanks for the description and pics. 

Glad you found it interesting.
You were spot-on in thinking the site was also used for dog racing…

BBBD2416-DA81-4F08-9502-BCF2C03A281C.jpeg

42E628CC-44A5-4DC5-8B1E-FF1E6576EE0E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Stenhouse Greyhound Stadium

20211016_113150.jpg.cd28eeee00fc2b06813ffe40c09be56b.jpg

Great picture 👍. I wonder if that’s a site that could have been used for the building of a new stadium for Hearts? 

On 15/10/2021 at 15:32, The Bannon Flick said:

Life does go on indeed.

Always good to have fond memories to look back on though 👍

Sadly, if we ever invent a time machine it will only go back to the moment it was created etc.

So all these moments are only what we post on here 😭

I know what yoh mean though 👍

been here before
8 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

What’s that getting knocked doon??

A building of some sort I reckon. Though its probably fair to say Im not an architect.

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

What’s that getting knocked doon??

Looks like the corner of Castle Street and Princes Street

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Looks like the corner of Castle Street and Princes Street

Aah, that’ll be the hotel that went in fire. Think it was ‘90 or ‘91.

18 minutes ago, been here before said:

A building of some sort I reckon. Though its probably fair to say Im not an architect.

Meme reply incoming for that yin.

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Aah, that’ll be the hotel that went in fire. Think it was ‘90 or ‘91.

Yes. The Palace Hotel.

Lost Edinburgh: The Palace Hotel | The Scotsman

The Palace Hotel, at the corner of Princes Street and Castle Street in Edinburgh was demolished after a fire in June 1991,

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. The Palace Hotel.

Lost Edinburgh: The Palace Hotel | The Scotsman

On another note, I see the old Burger King unit is now up for lease. That said, most of the shops on princes street are now lying empty. 

On 14/10/2021 at 22:01, PortyBeach said:

That’s Marine Gardens (now occupied by Lothian Bus Depot). What we see in this photo is the outline of the former football ground. Leith Athletic FC played here from 1928 - 1936 before moving up the road to Old Meadowbank. Leith gained promotion to the old First Division in 1929-30 and spent two seasons in the top flight entertaining the likes of Hearts and the “Old Firm” at Marine Gardens.

Yes.   There was a program on the radio te other day looking back at the history of Speedway in Scotland - apparently it used to draw crowds of 20k.  Here's an extract from a book about it (called No Breaks) -

'In many ways the history of speedway in Edinburgh mirrors the path the sport as a whole has taken in this country. It began in May 1928 in Portobello, at Marine Gardens, an existing pleasure complex, which at different times, boasted a zoo, a circus and a ballroom. When it started up again after the Second World War and Marine Gardens was no longer available, it moved to Old Meadowbank Stadium.

‘The home at the time of Leith Athletic football club, it was a city-centre location befitting a sport drawing crowds in their thousands, but Old Meadowbank Stadium was demolished to build a new athletics arena for the 1970 Commonwealth Games, with speedway falling out of favour, there was no place for it.

‘It didn't return until 1977, this time at Powderhall greyhound stadium, closer to Leith than the city centre. In 1995 a housing developer made an offer for the site and Edinburgh were evicted once again. They raced at Shawfield in Glasgow in 1996 under the banner of the Scottish Monarchs which was, in the words of Harkess, a complete disaster; "The fans didnt get on and they used to throw bread rolls at each other."

‘They managed to find a new home the following year at a greyhound stadium in the old mining community of Armadale in West Lothian just off the M8 motorway.... the Monarchs have remained there ever since.'

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes.   There was a program on the radio te other day looking back at the history of Speedway in Scotland - apparently it used to draw crowds of 20k.  Here's an extract from a book about it (called No Breaks) -

'In many ways the history of speedway in Edinburgh mirrors the path the sport as a whole has taken in this country. It began in May 1928 in Portobello, at Marine Gardens, an existing pleasure complex, which at different times, boasted a zoo, a circus and a ballroom. When it started up again after the Second World War and Marine Gardens was no longer available, it moved to Old Meadowbank Stadium.

‘The home at the time of Leith Athletic football club, it was a city-centre location befitting a sport drawing crowds in their thousands, but Old Meadowbank Stadium was demolished to build a new athletics arena for the 1970 Commonwealth Games, with speedway falling out of favour, there was no place for it.

‘It didn't return until 1977, this time at Powderhall greyhound stadium, closer to Leith than the city centre. In 1995 a housing developer made an offer for the site and Edinburgh were evicted once again. They raced at Shawfield in Glasgow in 1996 under the banner of the Scottish Monarchs which was, in the words of Harkess, a complete disaster; "The fans didnt get on and they used to throw bread rolls at each other."

‘They managed to find a new home the following year at a greyhound stadium in the old mining community of Armadale in West Lothian just off the M8 motorway.... the Monarchs have remained there ever since.'

Interesting post, thanks. Old Meadowbank…the top photo looks like a speedway meeting (sadly, I don’t think Leith Athletic were as well supported!). The grandstand originally belonged to St. Bernard’s FC at their Gymnasium ground. When Saints went bust in 1942-43 there was initially talk of a merger with Leith but nothing came of it and Saints closed down. They sold the stand to Leith who promptly installed it at Old Meadowbank where it remained until demolition in the later 1960s before construction of the Commonwealth Stadium complex.

1D82B04C-AA07-4586-9CD1-EC971C57BE27.jpeg

380F10C7-A225-4B9A-B36E-33B29F5CF8A9.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211020_181457.jpg

Looking at ft of Arthurs Street and Dumbieykes Road from the Crags. The exact location our son has been asked to spread our remains when I join my wife again. My favorite view of Edinburgh out to the west.

Edited by Sharpie