Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Great posts on Edinburgh’s pubs lads.

On the theme of lost Edinburgh, does anyone have information about the old Bristo Street pubs?

I’m aware of the “Woolpack” and the “Argyle”, but from old maps I saw at least another couple of pubs that have bitten the dust…☹️

Hall Bar 19 Bristo St.jpeg

Union Bar 27 Bristo St.jpeg

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Hall Bar 19 Bristo St.jpeg

Union Bar 27 Bristo St.jpeg

Thanks, Stuart.

Re these photos, have I got my bearings right here: the “Hall Bar” is the pub a few doors down from the “Woolpack” and “WH Scott” is further down Bristo Street on the other side of the street? Was it one of these howffs that was nicknamed the “Gluepot”? 

A fascinating glimpse into Old Edinburgh. The wholesale destruction of this street and surrounds and the dispersal of the residents would surely never have happened in the modern era. ☹️

I think you are right the Hall Bar at 19 Bristo ST was down from the Woolpack. The Union Bar (Gluepot) was at No 19. Don't know if it was on the opposite side of the road.

20 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I think you are right the Hall Bar at 19 Bristo ST was down from the Woolpack. The Union Bar (Gluepot) was at No 19. Don't know if it was on the opposite side of the road.

Some clarification

Woolpack No 1

Hall Bar 19 Bristo St No 2

Union Bar 27 Bristo St  No 3

Argyle Arms No 4

Charles Tavern No 5

Crown Tavern No 6

Bristo:Potterrow.jpg

periodictabledancer
On 05/10/2021 at 13:17, Stuart Lyon said:

It used to be said that it was the only pub in EH with a Camel Park for all the Arabs that frequented it.

😂

6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Some clarification

Woolpack No 1

Hall Bar 19 Bristo St No 2

Union Bar 27 Bristo St  No 3

Argyle Arms No 4

Charles Tavern No 5

Crown Tavern No 6

Bristo:Potterrow.jpg

Thanks again Stuart. Great map.
Is the “Union Bar” not the “WH Scott’s” in the photo you provided? If not, where is Scott’s bar on the map?

15 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Thanks again Stuart. Great map.
Is the “Union Bar” not the “WH Scott’s” in the photo you provided? If not, where is Scott’s bar on the map?

The UB is Scott's.

Fxxx the SPFL
On 04/10/2021 at 23:41, Maroon Sailor said:

Vietnam

20211004_234101.jpg

not sure what year that was taken but i had a drink in the old Dundee arms in the  mid seventies can't recall it looking like that. must be my memory fading with age.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

not sure what year that was taken but i had a drink in the old Dundee arms in the  mid seventies can't recall it looking like that. must be my memory fading with age.

Must have been under new ownership here and looking to move on from the Vietnam label

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

This was the upgraded version when it changed its name to the fountain 

the old Vietnam was an eye opener 

It’s interesting how the situations and circumstances we experience are reflected in the nicknames we dish out.

Only those of us of a certain vintage for example will understand the relevance and potency of the term “Vietnam” when it’s attributed to something as everyday as a boozer.

What was it we used to sing? “Send the Hibees to Vietnam…” 🤣

Maroon Sailor
17 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

This was the upgraded version when it changed its name to the fountain 

the old Vietnam was an eye opener 

An eye closer as well

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211009_201923.jpg

Just next to St Cuthbert's was a pub called Wee Andersons and further down at end there was a medical centre.  

Can't recall the name of it.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just next to St Cuthbert's was a pub called Wee Andersons and further down at end there was a medical centre.  

Can't recall the name of it.

The McKenzie Medical Centre. It's linked to Edinburgh University and is the site of Scotland's first public dispensary, started by Andrew Duncan in the 1700s.

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

The McKenzie Medical Centre. It's linked to Edinburgh University and is the site of Scotland's first public dispensary, started by Andrew Duncan in the 1700s.

Thanks.

Was it always known by that name?

I recall Royal Victoria Dispensary or similar.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

On 07/10/2021 at 13:04, Stuart Lyon said:

The UB is Scott's.

Thanks. I dug out a tattered copy of the 1971 “Complete Edinburgh Pub Guide” and it describes the Union Bar (aka “Gluepot”) as a “tiny, high-ceilinged, dingy, ale house serving excellent and cheap pints of S&N in front of the old wooden bar…nothing synthetic about the Union. Tiny jug bar also.” What is confusing is that the booklet erroneously says the pub is in Buccleuch Street…

I bought it for £1.00 at a beer festival a few years back which gives you an idea about its condition. I’ve preserved it as best as I was able since but it’s near disintegration!

It was compiled just after the loss of historic pubs like the “Castle o’ Clouts” and “The Woolpack” so no descriptions provided for these, alas. There are mentions for the Union Bar and Argyle Arms, however.
I think it’s real value lies in it being a snapshot in time of Edinburgh. There are references to pubs that no longer exist or that have changed beyond recognition.“Wee Anderson’s”, “Rutherford’s”, “Stewart’s Bar”, and the tiled, island bar on the old Leith Street “The Thistle”…the list goes on.

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

I bought it for £1.00 at a beer festival a few years back which gives you an idea about its condition. I’ve preserved it as best as I was able since but it’s near disintegration!

It was compiled just after the loss of historic pubs like the “Castle o’ Clouts” and “The Woolpack” so no descriptions provided for these, alas. There are mentions for the Union Bar and Argyle Arms, however.
I think it’s real value lies in it being a snapshot in time of Edinburgh. There are references to pubs that no longer exist or that have changed beyond recognition.“Wee Anderson’s”, “Rutherford’s”, “Stewart’s Bar”, and the tiled, island bar on the old Leith Street “The Thistle”…the list goes on.

Has it got an ISBN number on it by any chance?

On 04/10/2021 at 19:59, Jambo314 said:

That would be the Anchor Inn, another classy establishment 😄

The Anchor Inn was my local many moons ago.

🙂

On 05/10/2021 at 12:48, Sharpie said:

There was also a wee shop in that block owned by Mrs Craigie, It was basically a general store, she seemed to sell everything your mother would need on a Sunday when she had forgotten to get something at the Store. Mrs Craigie sold Globe lemonade, which was an attraction to children such as I because the bottle the product was in was globe shaped. She also had a variety of candies that Bill Watters on Preston Street didn't have, so she got our ration coupons for these treats. As you can possibly guess that wasn't yesterday.

And remember, you used to get thruppence back on the 'Globe empties !'😀

19 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Has it got an ISBN number on it by any chance?

Sorry, Stuart, no. I tried to upload a photo of the booklet for you but apparently there was a server issue that prevented this.

The booklet is published by “Edinburgh University Student Publications”. 
There just might be a few copies out there, you never know. 

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Sorry, Stuart, no. I tried to upload a photo of the booklet for you but apparently there was a server issue that prevented this.

The booklet is published by “Edinburgh University Student Publications”. 
There just might be a few copies out there, you never know. 

Thanks for trying. I did find it on the Bookfinder website but no copies available.

44 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

46FEC594-F4F9-4DC4-884A-366754A259E8.jpeg

Is that the old Granton Circle, formerly Tram terminus, and the building where the bus is that was a Naval hospital during the WW2 conflict.

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

02B46307-FA6E-4B77-B1D3-CB007F463785.jpeg

Great pic - I am down at Porty allot at the spot of the old ourdoor swimming pool (now the Pitz/Ed Leisure) 

What’s that west of Kings Road - looks like a dog track.? Anyone know? 

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Is that the old Granton Circle, formerly Tram terminus, and the building where the bus is that was a Naval hospital during the WW2 conflict.

Yes, Granton Square and the building you mention is HMS Claverhouse.