Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

161462bad0d4da38ec91b02b7aa9f13c.thumb.jpg.17dac903e81a96b2f15e5847f5ad2d18.jpg

Leith Walk, originally Leith Loan, was a path between fields until Sir Alexander Leslie built a rampart to defend Edinburgh from Cromwell's invasion in 1650. In time this rampart was levelled and paved and became the main route from city to sea

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

There was years later one of those guys was the one that told me i I had wavered and turned away from the group they were going to as a group discipline me for my actions outside the pub when they were arrested on the previous Friday. 

A long time after that in Niddrie Mains Terrace a woman told me her pram had been stolen just then as she took the bairn upstairs. I took the report and carried on walking, at Harewood Crescent I saw a woman with the pram. I stopped her clarified it was stolen, and took her name, as sole witness I had no corroboration and let her go. I took the pram back and took it back upstairs to the original. She told me they were just going to have tea and wanted me to join them, lo and behold her husband was my fall picker up, my White House judge, and now  with eye contact said we would not give anything up, but I couldn't resist taking half of his tea sandwich.

A sergeant also assisted in helping me and an offender. I had a call to Hay Drive when a well known lass was annoying her mother who wanted her removed from the top flat landing. I attended took the complaint and took the womans arm, she immediately used her free hand to grab my one irreplaceble organ and hangers. I was in extreme pain, and the only female vulnerable spot I could think of was a nipple, which I grabbed and squeezed as hard as I could, at that point the sergeant, George Urquhart came up the stairs , saw Ruby and I with what he thought were expressions of heightened sexual activity, and said in quite an embarrassed voice  "I'll see you doonstairs when your finished Boab". Might have made a good movie The Good the Bad and the Pain.

Honest, "Boab", just love some of your recollections, I can almost mentally picture some of your stories. Make me actually laugh to masel.

Keep up the good work.

Maroon Sailor

20210503_225505.png.c00f9fb7e26a6e34a7a4a925776b37e2.png

Always trying to work out the traffic system here. 

Morrison Street two way?

West Maitland Street to Clifton Terrace and Dalry Road two way ?

What was the script with Torphicen Street ? Was that 2 way as well ?

ManorJambo
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Morrison Street two way?

Torphicen Street was 2 way along with Grove Street back in the day if that helps?

Shanks said no
9 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Centre spot? 

F500FC07-2FB4-46E6-A30F-45A75E9B89C5.jpeg

Think I am wrong, it’s further up by the sign

A2CCE870-9FA7-42A9-AB79-2065183C04B3.jpeg

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, ManorJambo said:

Torphicen Street was 2 way along with Grove Street back in the day if that helps?

Cheers

Seems like all that area was two way and it wasn't a problem

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Morrison Street two way?

To the best of my memory they were all two way, the key to the movement during as seems to be there rush hour was the ever dependable policeman as can be seen in the picture with the white sleeves keeping everything moving as can be seen there. 

That scene holds a different memory for me, coming home with my wife and our new son in the car, when the news of John Kennedys assassination came on the radio, I'll never forget that, I was a Kennedy fan, and drove the rest of the way to Wester Broom in complete shock.

Shanks said no

Edited by The Frenchman Returns
Failed to load

ManorJambo
50 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The stairs on the right are puzzling me, where did they lead? 

B7FA425F-639B-412D-AE48-D8B1E076BA7A.jpeg

That part of Morrison Street was called Castle Barns and I think it leads to a flat?

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The stairs on the right are puzzling me, where did they lead? 

B7FA425F-639B-412D-AE48-D8B1E076BA7A.jpeg

99f77784cdc0d4168c6d4960b3f09535.jpg

Shanks said no
16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

99f77784cdc0d4168c6d4960b3f09535.jpg

Cheers, should have dug further myself, here’s another angle. The first photo reminded me of South Queensferry

3C6FA1EF-3FC6-4E4A-B8CA-AF1F2F427023.jpeg

12 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

EE99EC66-D18D-4203-B105-F57DF24262F4.jpeg

Morrison Street at Gardeners Cresent but not that old as those offices were not built until after the conference centre but before 2012 as the chippy is still there.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

From another angle

Semple St one way then

2A6A6873-016C-47AE-BDD4-F1242D509FB1.jpeg

very busy wonder if it was kicking out time at the old tax office in Semple Street long before flexi time. actually looking again could be a queue for a show/gig

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

Stuart Lyon

https://www.scotsman.com/news/massive-city-centre-traffic-shake-approved-2457816

The article at the link above refers to plans to make Morrison st, W Maitland St and Torphichen St all 2-way again! I couldn't open the article because it behind a pay wall. If I recall the proposals correctly they were going to widen the pavements in Morrison street with only one lane of traffic in each direction. This was to accommodate the millions that walk the street every day. No idea why the plan was abandoned. The CeC have no idea either on anything!1777408187_2-waytraffic.thumb.png.4c665d5c4d107a791ba541a41171829b.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

been here before
48 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/massive-city-centre-traffic-shake-approved-2457816

The article at the link above refers to plans to make Morrison st, W Maitland St and Torphichen St all 2-way again! I couldn't open the article because it behind a pay wall. If I recall the proposals correctly they were going to widen the pavements in Morrison street with only one lane of traffic in each direction. This was to accommodate the millions that walk the street every day. No idea why the plan was abandoned. The CeC have no idea either on anything!1777408187_2-waytraffic.thumb.png.4c665d5c4d107a791ba541a41171829b.png

Its easy to get round paywalls... the 

EDINBURGH is on course for the biggest shake-up of its road system since the notorious city-centre traffic management scheme which had to be largely abandoned after a public outcry.

Councillors have approved plans to review one-way systems in the West End and city centre as part of a wider strategy to create a more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly environment.

Officials are expected to start drawing up detailed proposals later this year, but it could be up to three years before the changes are introduced.

As well as rethinking the one-way systems, the strategy proposes changes to the Tollcross junction, further restrictions in the Royal Mile, cutting traffic speeds and putting in place new pedestrian and cycle routes.

Planning convener Jim Lowrie today vowed the council would avoid the mistakes made the last time it attempted to revamp the Capital’s road system.

The controversial 2005 Central Edinburgh Traffic Management cost over £4.5 million and included retractable bollards in George Street and Frederick Street and a series of road closures in the New Town.

The council reversed most of the measures after more than 1000 people backed an Evening News campaign to change the scheme, which had a chaotic effect on trade and traffic.

Councillor Lowrie, pictured lef, said any changes under the latest plans would be introduced in stages and on a trial basis.

He said: “We slipped up with the city-centre management system. Now we would do it in small sections, perhaps for three- or six-month periods, to see how it operates.”

A masterplan approved by the council’s planning committee, covering the city centre’s “southern arc” from Haymarket to Holyrood, says the ambition is for Edinburgh to become “one of the most liveable cities in the world” and backs projects which will “create better conditions for pedestrians and cyclists”.

It highlights Morrison Street as a key pedestrian route between Haymarket station and the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, but says the journey is uncomfortable because the area is dominated by traffic. “Changing the one-way system to two-way traffic has many benefits – more space for pedestrians, slower traffic and a safer environment at night.”

Senior planner Will Garrett said changes to Morrison Street would mean a review of traffic in a wider area. “Morrison Street is at the core, but it links to the Haymarket one-way system and Shandwick Place into Morrison Street and you can’t look at that without looking at what is happening with the trams.”

The review would also extend to the one-way systems at Semple Street, Fountainbridge and Bread Street; and Lady Lawson Street at West Port.

The plan proposes reducing road space at Thornybauk, West Tollcross and Lochrin Place, with knock-on changes to the road and footpath network.

Neil Greig, head of policy for the Institute of Advanced Motorists in Scotland, said one-way systems were a good way to get the most out of limited road capacity, but it was right they should be reviewed to make sure they were working.

He said: “I understand that for pedestrians, crossing four lanes of traffic in Morrison Street is not pleasant.

“But they have to get the detail right. It was the detail they got wrong the last time – people found themselves in illegal cul-de-sacs, it didn’t make sense and the sign- posting didn’t work.”

Local business owners today welcomed any change to Morrison Street’s one-way system.

John Berry, owner of the Kinnaird Guest House, said: “It couldn’t be any worse than the way it is now. It’s a wide street with four lanes of traffic and at times you’d be taking your life in your hands to cross it.”

At Tollcross, where pedestrians currently have to cross several separate stretches of road to reach the other side, one option is to halt all the traffic at the same time so people can cross in one go.

Councillor Lowrie said: “Tollcross is a major issue – it’s very difficult to get across.

“I think we need to phase the lights so you can walk straight across. It does slow the traffic flow down, but not hugely.”

Bilkis Ali, of Tollcross Pharmacy, said: “It would be easier to just have one junction but the traffic from Lothian Road does have to go somewhere.”

The council is keen to cut traffic on Chambers Street and plans to remove the central car parking aisle to create more space for events.

Cllr Lowrie said one option would be to make it a one-way street, using Nicolson Square for vehicles going in the other direction.

He said: “We want to get the road clear in front of the museum which now has such a super entrance.”

Traffic controls on the Royal Mile could be extended. Cllr Lowrie said the existing restrictions on the stretch between North Bridge and George IV Bridge were working well and could be extended down towards St Mary’s Street.

He said: “We would probably keep the bus that runs down there, but try to limit the cars.”

The plan also proposes a family cycle route between the West End and Holyrood and new footpath routes, for example at Quartermile from the Meadows to Lauriston Place, a safe pedestrian and cycle route between Tollcross and the Lochrin basin and a new pedestrian crossing in Lothian Road between Festival Square and the Usher Hall.

Traffic systems under review

1. Semple Street: Changes to one-way system

2. Morrison Street: Highlighted as key pedestrian route. Proposed changes include removing one-way system

3. Lady Lawson Street: Changes to one-way system

4. Thornybauk, West Tollcross: Reduce road space and create more room for pedestrians

5. Chambers Street / Nicolson Square: Cut traffic on Chambers Street and use Nicolson Square for vehicles going in the other direction

6. Royal Mile: Extend traffic controls to limit cars

Shanks said no
31 minutes ago, Mister T said:

That looks sinister. What / where is it? 

Ferranti Crewe Toll

6D8E120A-89D4-4D1B-9D16-FD958CF1095F.jpeg

Stuart Lyon
21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its easy to get round paywalls... the 

EDINBURGH is on course for the biggest shake-up of its road system since the notorious city-centre traffic management scheme which had to be largely abandoned after a public outcry.

Councillors have approved plans to review one-way systems in the West End and city centre as part of a wider strategy to create a more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly environment.

Officials are expected to start drawing up detailed proposals later this year, but it could be up to three years before the changes are introduced.

As well as rethinking the one-way systems, the strategy proposes changes to the Tollcross junction, further restrictions in the Royal Mile, cutting traffic speeds and putting in place new pedestrian and cycle routes.

Planning convener Jim Lowrie today vowed the council would avoid the mistakes made the last time it attempted to revamp the Capital’s road system.

The controversial 2005 Central Edinburgh Traffic Management cost over £4.5 million and included retractable bollards in George Street and Frederick Street and a series of road closures in the New Town.

The council reversed most of the measures after more than 1000 people backed an Evening News campaign to change the scheme, which had a chaotic effect on trade and traffic.

Councillor Lowrie, pictured lef, said any changes under the latest plans would be introduced in stages and on a trial basis.

He said: “We slipped up with the city-centre management system. Now we would do it in small sections, perhaps for three- or six-month periods, to see how it operates.”

A masterplan approved by the council’s planning committee, covering the city centre’s “southern arc” from Haymarket to Holyrood, says the ambition is for Edinburgh to become “one of the most liveable cities in the world” and backs projects which will “create better conditions for pedestrians and cyclists”.

It highlights Morrison Street as a key pedestrian route between Haymarket station and the Edinburgh International Conference Centre, but says the journey is uncomfortable because the area is dominated by traffic. “Changing the one-way system to two-way traffic has many benefits – more space for pedestrians, slower traffic and a safer environment at night.”

Senior planner Will Garrett said changes to Morrison Street would mean a review of traffic in a wider area. “Morrison Street is at the core, but it links to the Haymarket one-way system and Shandwick Place into Morrison Street and you can’t look at that without looking at what is happening with the trams.”

The review would also extend to the one-way systems at Semple Street, Fountainbridge and Bread Street; and Lady Lawson Street at West Port.

The plan proposes reducing road space at Thornybauk, West Tollcross and Lochrin Place, with knock-on changes to the road and footpath network.

Neil Greig, head of policy for the Institute of Advanced Motorists in Scotland, said one-way systems were a good way to get the most out of limited road capacity, but it was right they should be reviewed to make sure they were working.

He said: “I understand that for pedestrians, crossing four lanes of traffic in Morrison Street is not pleasant.

“But they have to get the detail right. It was the detail they got wrong the last time – people found themselves in illegal cul-de-sacs, it didn’t make sense and the sign- posting didn’t work.”

Local business owners today welcomed any change to Morrison Street’s one-way system.

John Berry, owner of the Kinnaird Guest House, said: “It couldn’t be any worse than the way it is now. It’s a wide street with four lanes of traffic and at times you’d be taking your life in your hands to cross it.”

At Tollcross, where pedestrians currently have to cross several separate stretches of road to reach the other side, one option is to halt all the traffic at the same time so people can cross in one go.

Councillor Lowrie said: “Tollcross is a major issue – it’s very difficult to get across.

“I think we need to phase the lights so you can walk straight across. It does slow the traffic flow down, but not hugely.”

Bilkis Ali, of Tollcross Pharmacy, said: “It would be easier to just have one junction but the traffic from Lothian Road does have to go somewhere.”

The council is keen to cut traffic on Chambers Street and plans to remove the central car parking aisle to create more space for events.

Cllr Lowrie said one option would be to make it a one-way street, using Nicolson Square for vehicles going in the other direction.

He said: “We want to get the road clear in front of the museum which now has such a super entrance.”

Traffic controls on the Royal Mile could be extended. Cllr Lowrie said the existing restrictions on the stretch between North Bridge and George IV Bridge were working well and could be extended down towards St Mary’s Street.

He said: “We would probably keep the bus that runs down there, but try to limit the cars.”

The plan also proposes a family cycle route between the West End and Holyrood and new footpath routes, for example at Quartermile from the Meadows to Lauriston Place, a safe pedestrian and cycle route between Tollcross and the Lochrin basin and a new pedestrian crossing in Lothian Road between Festival Square and the Usher Hall.

Traffic systems under review

1. Semple Street: Changes to one-way system

2. Morrison Street: Highlighted as key pedestrian route. Proposed changes include removing one-way system

3. Lady Lawson Street: Changes to one-way system

4. Thornybauk, West Tollcross: Reduce road space and create more room for pedestrians

5. Chambers Street / Nicolson Square: Cut traffic on Chambers Street and use Nicolson Square for vehicles going in the other direction

6. Royal Mile: Extend traffic controls to limit cars

Thanks BHB!

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

very busy wonder if it was kicking out time at the old tax office in Semple Street long before flexi time. actually looking again could be a queue for a show/gig

That was a big line up for a movie, could it have been when the Beatles were in town at the Regal.

22 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Causewayside, car park on RHS  used to be tenements backing on to Bertrams works. My late dads parents lived there until the late 1960's when they were demolished.

The demolished buildings held Sandys fish and chip shop where we got our threepenny bag of chips, then going home ran into one door of the pub on West Preston Street shouting "your beers made o' water" and out the other door. I guess they did have watery beer because nobody ever seemed to bother about us.

It is really strange to look at places that were so important in your life now gone, and the others are subjects that will be used when teaching history. You realise you are old when you are now a part of history.

49 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

That was a big line up for a movie, could it have been when the Beatles were in town at the Regal.

I've seen the picture being attributed to the 1964 Beatles concert at the ABC ( I assume The Regal was a previous name?). If you zoom in, it looks like a lot of the folk in the queue are sitting down, so they must have had some wait.

crowd.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I've seen the picture being attributed to the 1964 Beatles concert at the ABC ( I assume The Regal was a previous name?). If you zoom in, it looks like a lot of the folk in the queue are sitting down, so they must have had some wait.

crowd.jpg

Yes it was the ABC even when there and seeing it on the wall,  still referred to the place as the Regal.

been here before
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

crowd.jpg

My mum was in that queue somewhere. Her and her pal camped out overnight and ended up with tickets for both the matinee and evening shows.

She ran home with them clenched between her front teeth to make sure she never lost them.

She still has them somewhere in a frame.

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Ferranti Crewe Toll

6D8E120A-89D4-4D1B-9D16-FD958CF1095F.jpeg

That's a relief, I thought it was a crem 

Mars plastic
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

From another angle

Semple St one way then

2A6A6873-016C-47AE-BDD4-F1242D509FB1.jpeg

The ABC should never have been allowed to be demolished. Classic old cinema just like the Odeon.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

My mum was in that queue somewhere. Her and her pal camped out overnight and ended up with tickets for both the matinee and evening shows.

She ran home with them clenched between her front teeth to make sure she never lost them.

She still has them somewhere in a frame.

There's some photos of people in the queue here:  http://edinburghgigarchive.com/abc-regal-cinema/

3 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

The ABC should never have been allowed to be demolished. Classic old cinema just like the Odeon.

Went to that cinema for a show with my new Canadian wife. They had just opened a Wimpey bar in the cinema and my wife had her first bought Hamburger  since leaving Canada.  She started to eat it and suddenly started choking, she eased a bit so I ran her downstairs and into our car for the short ride to S.O.P.D. she was looked at right away and they found she wasn't actually choking a too well fried piece of onion had put a good scratch in her throat. So the great pleasure of a real 'burger ended in panic, and missing a movie. 

been here before
12 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There's some photos of people in the queue here:  http://edinburghgigarchive.com/abc-regal-cinema/

Cant see her but then she'd have only been 14 :lol:. Ive sent her the link.

This one stood out though...

beatfans6.jpg.47d757a0eb54e49b68754cb8c4f3edb4.jpg

... cant help but look at that boy on the left and imagine that Fast Show sketch... 'A Beatles queue full of teenage girls.... sleeping in the pavement overnight... a secluded doorway...'

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, been here before said:

... cant help but look at that boy on the left and imagine that Fast Show sketch... 'A Beatles queue full of teenage girls.... sleeping in the pavement overnight... a secluded doorway...'

They’ve all been into McColl’s to get their juice and sweets. :) 

1 minute ago, been here before said:

It's ok, the two wifeys on the right are on their way to sort him out.  :D 

Mars plastic
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Some pair of winkle pickers on the boy kneeling on the pavement. 

Maroon Sailor

Rodney Street

20210505_070638.jpg.fd77ee39d591db993b95be9fc97dd5f2.jpg

Never heard of the Waverley biscuit factory but what they made rings a bell - pretty sure that was stamped on the cones

Edited by Maroon Sailor