• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Don't know what street this is without looking it up

20210330_091429.jpg.083744b3d3d51139eb37e533f2375228.jpg

It's Mill Lane. You can see the top of the old cinema on G Junction Street, and there's now a GP surgery in where the Elderado place is.

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Don't know what street this is without looking it up

20210330_091429.jpg.083744b3d3d51139eb37e533f2375228.jpg

Was it not Mill Lane just off Junction Street and where the old State Picture house was at the top of the street?

Edit ... beaten to it lol

Edited by Jambo314

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

It's Mill Lane. You can see the top of the old cinema on G Junction Street, and there's now a GP surgery in where the Elderado place is.

I've been to that surgery as well ! - the ballroom was throwing me off

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210330_091529.jpg

Always wondered when Edinburgh Street signs changed to black lettering on a white background

What would be the background colour on this one ?

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

The old Chancelot Mill, before it moved to leith.

17050301686_c354b83211_b.jpg

That is indeed the old Chancelot Mill at Bonnington so strictly speaking it was in Leith. It was demolished in 1971. 

Maroon Sailor

The 57 must have been the shortest bus route ever. It went from the Wester Hailes shopping centre to the Tesco at Dumbryden. Believe it was free as well but not sure as never used it.

20210330_121220.jpg.9459b69e7481d962162c98e493c929bc.jpg

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Broughton Road.  The wall is the one in front of the Royal Navy Club at Canonmills and building with the chimney is where Tesco is now.

The Ritz was down that way as well, wasn’t it?

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The 57 must have been the shortest bus route ever. It went from the Wester Hailes shopping centre to the Tesco at Dumbryden. Believe it was free as well but not sure as never used it.

20210330_121220.jpg.9459b69e7481d962162c98e493c929bc.jpg

I once received a proposition in the toilets behind that bus stop. No, not what you're thinking! Some guy I'd never met before offered to pay me to help him beat someone up. 

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, FWJ said:

It’s not Princes Street, is it?

I was thinking more like Granton !

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never heard of Golden Crop

20210330_114935.thumb.jpg.5d98f49bb06b94b7c0a2b6cca79361a1.jpg

tatties i assume or haircuts for blondies

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This is the best ever Shed thread. So many memories.

So many things I didn't know about as well 

I've never heard of the Eldorado Stadium Ballroom let alone staging Wrestling bouts.

Haymarket ice rink as well amongst others

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Shandon?No Moet.

Broughton Road according to a couple of posters. There are similarities to Shandon

Maroon Sailor
52 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I once received a proposition in the toilets behind that bus stop. No, not what you're thinking! Some guy I'd never met before offered to pay me to help him beat someone up. 

😅

That Kiosk was pretty handy

Stuart Lyon
42 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

tatties i assume or haircuts for blondies

Golden Crop was a brand of bread. If you zoom in on the logo you will see.

3fingersreid
20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210329_182540.jpg

I’m still seeing this as Shandon place at Slateford rd , with the chimney belonging to the Caley Brewery .Could it be the shape of Donaldsons in the background ? 

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m still seeing this as Shandon place at Slateford rd , with the chimney belonging to the Caley Brewery .Could it be the shape of Donaldsons in the background ? 

Bay windows on the corner in Shandon. Very very similar.I think the tall structure in the background may be Chancelot Mill as it was before relocation.

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Think that tall chimney is Powderhall

Radio Ga Ga
20 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was seeing the same, but a quick look on Google Earth confirmed it is indeed opposite the Royal Navy Club

3fingersreid
16 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Bay windows on the corner in Shandon. Very very similar.I think the tall structure in the background may be Chancelot Mill as it was before relocation.

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Think that tall chimney is Powderhall

I can see the Broughton road suggestion too 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Used to go to the wrestling at the Eldorado the Jannie at Preston Street School was a referee. My father took me there a couple of times but it got a wee bit out of hand at times. I was just a bairn.

3fingersreid
17 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I was seeing the same, but a quick look on Google Earth confirmed it is indeed opposite the Royal Navy Club

👍🏻

Just now, wentworth jambo said:

Newhaven Main Street and the Bow Tow pub

An old acquaintance of mine, Ricky Tulloch, sadly fairly recently deceased, used to own the Bow Tow several years ago.

wentworth jambo

So many things I didn't know about as well 

I've never heard of the Eldorado Stadium Ballroom let alone staging Wrestling bouts.

Haymarket ice rink as well amongst others

By the time I came along as a kid - the Eldorado had stopped doing the wrestling and had been converted into an indoor skateboard and roller skate park - pretty cutting edge with ramps and half pipes etc back in the late 70's but would never get past H&S now as the whole thing was made of untreated wood with no sharp edges planed off or anything like that - lots of cuts / slashes as kids caught themselves on the sharp edge of wooden ramp along with some of the biggest splinters 😁

wentworth jambo
1 minute ago, argyjambo said:

An old acquaintance of mine, Ricky Tulloch, sadly fairly recently deceased, used to own the Bow Tow several years ago.

I used to live on Main Street but never went in the Bow Tow...mostly drunk in Leith at the time

2 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Argy?

I hope you don’t mind me asking, I knew a Ricky Tulloch many years ago (it's quite an unusual name).  I was wondering if it’s the same bloke.  Do you know if his wife was called Maureen?

Thanks,

Morgan

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Newhaven Main Street and the Bow Tow pub

I wouldn't have got that - never heard of that pub.

Done a bit of digging as it's no longer a pub and apparently it used to be called the King's Arms before the Bow Tow

Stuart Lyon
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Done a bit of digging as it's no longer a pub and apparently it used to be called the King's Arms before the Bow Tow

Bow Tow's other names 

Auld Haven Bar

Kings Arms

Parrot Shop

Smybergs

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

i think the Bow Tow had an upside down boat on the ceiling which then was removed and used in the Granville Pub in Craighall Road family called the Carney's owned it now a Sainsbury's 

Stuart Lyon

1193417354_Buildings-WesternGeneralHospital.jpeg.f3895f1d9f4ee7142d2f5ad8d545dbe3.jpeg

Craigleith Poorhouse was founded in 1868 and served the St Cuthbert's district of Edinburgh. It included an Infirmary for the care of sick paupers. In 1914 the Poorhouse was taken over as a military hospital and renamed the 2nd Scottish General Hospital, Craigleith. The "Craigleith Chronicle" served as the Hospital's wartime magazine. The Poorhouse returned to its former function in 1919, and in 1929 it became the Western General Hospital.

Stuart Lyon
4 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think the Bow Tow had an upside down boat on the ceiling which then was removed and used in the Granville Pub in Craighall Road family called the Carney's owned it now a Sainsbury's 

The Granville was originally the Lobster Pot.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Craigleith Poorhouse was founded in 1868 and served the St Cuthbert's district of Edinburgh. It included an Infirmary for the care of sick paupers. In 1914 the Poorhouse was taken over as a military hospital and renamed the 2nd Scottish General Hospital, Craigleith. The "Craigleith Chronicle" served as the Hospital's wartime magazine. The Poorhouse returned to its former function in 1919, and in 1929 it became the Western General Hospital.

Didn't realise Craigleith covered the Western General. It's a bigger area than what I thought. 

Just associated the old Royal Victoria and the Quarry with Craigleith

I always knew the Bow Tow as the Parrot Shop but didn’t realise it had ever been an official name. It would be interesting how many people from outside Newhaven, Leith, Trinity, and Granton would know how to pronounce Bow Tow. 
We got caught in the Lobster Pot one Friday afternoon by the school jannies when we should have been at school. The bribed us that if we bought them a pint they wouldn’t grass us up. Now thinking back they probably were skiving as well.