• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Logan & Forrest Dairy?

Well remembered, sir.  :notworthy::omg:  I think my Mum started getting deliveries from them after the Dummy closed/stopped.

gogsfaepenrith
On 17/02/2021 at 07:02, 3fingersreid said:

what was the name of the gay bar that was on Broughton street where the restaurant Treacle currently is ? 
For some reason my daughters pal has asked me to find out , can’t say I’ve a clue as to what it’ was called , hopefully someone can help . 

Was it the Laughing Duck, late 70s early 80s was a well known guy pub, my wife's sister used tae frequent it

7 hours ago, gogsfaepenrith said:

Was it the Laughing Duck, late 70s early 80s was a well known guy pub, my wife's sister used tae frequent it

The Laughing Duck was on Howe Street mate.

3fingersreid
8 hours ago, gogsfaepenrith said:

26 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The Laughing Duck was on Howe Street mate.

My daughters friend who’d asked , confirmed that she was thinking of the pub called Crombies 👍🏻

14 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Off Springvalley Gardens, Morningside. 

CA6E3D89-121A-4146-8090-3BDBA53354D7.jpeg

87F6FB61-8B53-473F-9620-82A1244867E3.jpeg

1A010A58-168F-4C9D-BAED-E43EC5B9B36C.jpeg

0D5244B5-CCDE-4810-85E0-E70726659486.jpeg

7534B759-CF81-4DC0-A211-5A3A873C4BCF.jpeg

Is this off one of the lanes off the Gardens? My Dad was born at No.4 and his Dad(my Grandad) had his stonemason's business up one of them, I think. Personally, l never knew these buildings existed

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, inspector said:

Is this off one of the lanes off the Gardens? My Dad was born at No.4 and his Dad(my Grandad) had his stonemason's business up one of them, I think. Personally, l never knew these buildings existed

It is through a vennel just a few yards past number four, you can look around via Google Maps street view if it is of interest

Thanks for that. I had no idea. In my defence, my Dad left there in 1956 although the family had the house until the mid 60's and l don't have too many memories of the place

49 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Niddrie Mains Drive 2007

E30CBF49-C03E-4EF8-97FA-5E5F8DD1ECC3.jpeg

Must have been taken on a Friday after the White Hoose closed. There were often arguments about the state of the price of coffee from Bechuanaland after cocktails at that establisment. 

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Niddrie Mains Drive 2007

E30CBF49-C03E-4EF8-97FA-5E5F8DD1ECC3.jpeg

That photo was taken in it's hayday.

You ought to have it seen it just before they knocked it down, it had really went downhill.  :laugh:

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

maroongoals
On 24/02/2021 at 17:15, Janbo1874 said:

Cowgate

20210224_170902.jpg

Looking at the lack of shoes, shows the poverty,

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

St Mary’s Church, demolished 1983

5BBD828D-DDD2-40A1-BB1E-8A5FBFD5C823.jpeg

Think that's the corner of Broughton Street and Albany Street.

Radio Ga Ga
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Think that's the corner of Broughton Street and Albany Street.

It is indeed. 

20 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1970’s

4D84DDD4-0552-4190-9111-E3752964AFD1.jpeg

My God!

Where the Hell is that monstrosity?

Radio Ga Ga
25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My God!

The Calders estate, Medwin or Dunsire House, always get those two mixed up. The third was Cobbinshaw House. 

8 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

The Calders estate, Medwin or Dunsire House, always get those two mixed up. The third was Cobbinshaw House. 

Thanks.  

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

It's Medwin, I lived in Cobbinshaw

51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My God!

The Calders at Sighthill. It's one of three.  They've had cladding added since that photo. so don't look 'quite' so bad.

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It's Medwin, I lived in Cobbinshaw

I lived in a flat right opposite Cobbinshaw in Calder Gardens, one of the most traumatic things I’ve ever seen in my life was a suicide jump from the eleventh floor (mid 70’s) horrific 

25 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I lived in a flat right opposite Cobbinshaw in Calder Gardens, one of the most traumatic things I’ve ever seen in my life was a suicide jump from the eleventh floor (mid 70’s) horrific 

Stayed at the Calders myself and remember it. It was horrible poor soul

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Jeez. I mind someone got their arm cut off at medwin about 15 years ago, and I think it was last year someone died jumping out of the 5th in cobbinshaw trying to escape a debtor at his door. Some place.

Radio Ga Ga
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Jeez. I mind someone got their arm cut off at medwin about 15 years ago, and I think it was last year someone died jumping out of the 5th in cobbinshaw trying to escape a debtor at his door. Some place.

Used to deliver milk around the Calders when I was a young teenager, including the three multi’s. Friday nights was going around collecting the milk money, must have been the equivalent of hundreds of pounds in today’s money that I used to carry in a pouch around my waist, how the feck I was never mugged I’ll never know (especially in the urine stenched lifts) Don’t think you’d last five minutes nowadays. 

Radio Ga Ga

The first Bob’s the barbers for haircuts by appointment only, opened 1963. 

9D2A6538-12ED-4C5E-A85D-79F52CCAFFC4.jpeg

Edited by Radio Ga Ga
Update

20 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

287D97C2-4766-45C0-A413-45B3061441FB.jpeg

I'm a bit surprised this has never been reinstated. Or a more modern version. The area is always busy, and people must want to walk on to South Queensferry? 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, pablo said:

I'm a bit surprised this has never been reinstated. Or a more modern version. The area is always busy, and people must want to walk on to South Queensferry? 

I think the Duke (or whoever) used Foot and Mouth to stop people crossing over and using the public right of way through the estate.