Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

what was the name of the gay bar that was on Broughton street where the restaurant Treacle currently is ? 
For some reason my daughters pal has asked me to find out , can’t say I’ve a clue as to what it’ was called , hopefully someone can help . 

I think the pub was called AJ Ramsay's before it became Baroque.

Edited by Lemongrab

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I think the pub was called AJ Ramsay's before it became Baroque.

Treacle's former names

Baroque

Albany Bar

A.J. Ramsay's

Crombie's

Thanks for all the above answers , if none of them are what she’s looking for she can find out herself ( not that she could as if JKB don’t have the answer no one will ) 😀

Are we talking 80/90s or later.  Not that I was looking or anything but I really don't recall any bar in Broughton Street being especially gay.  I vaguely visualise there being perhaps a cafe that might have had the Rainbow flag or a logo above the door but nothing specific.  I should also premise this with a My Memory is generally Shite, despite drinking in that area quite a bit 88 through 96.

Edited by ArcticJambo

From Edinburgh World Heritage 

A policeman’s pick me up

The police box – made famous by Doctor Who – was introduced in Edinburgh in 1929, writes Barclay Price. It had its own neo-Classical design, by city architect Ebenezer Macrae, which was deemed by the council to be more appropriate to an Edinburgh context than the standard design seen elsewhere. 

On 25 May 1933 Bailie Rutherford Fortune formally inaugurated the new Edinburgh Police Box system, and by the end of the year over 140 were installed throughout the city. Not everyone was happy, however. Many complained that they were ugly and a speaker at a meeting of unemployed men in Portobello maintained that the boxes were being introduced to ‘deal with a workers’ rebellion’. 

The boxes offered the bobby somewhere to make notes, and a place for a quiet sandwich or smoke. Each one also contained a first-aid box. Today, a number of the surviving police boxes continue to provide relief and respite to workers through selling coffee.

04A460E3-0D65-4E14-8E14-0BC7C397824E.jpeg

CB014C09-F080-449E-AC5E-AA47ED48A7E1.jpeg

08D5D8C7-162D-45CA-9277-5C0B88640FD1.jpeg

9992796B-67E3-4835-B89D-B0B20684C5BC.jpeg

Montgomery Brewster
16 hours ago, obua said:

I think it was Baroque before Treacle. I’m trying to remember what it was before that, if it comes to me I will let you know.

Used to be crombies a long time ago 

15 hours ago, obua said:

Morgan,

I know there is a butcher’s called crombies on Broughton street, but I keep thinking that was the pub name as well. Or maybe something similar.

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Used to be crombies a long time ago 

Beat you to it, Thanks anyway 👍.

38 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1985, anyone know when St Cuthberts stopped using horses?

6E1835D9-3036-4F93-9D55-FA04626F5B78.jpeg

January 26th 1985.

52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is the pub in question (above) opposite what was once called Greenmans?  Next door to the old Abercraig Hotel?

I don’t think it is. Was the Abercraig not round the corner on the main road.

1 hour ago, obua said:

I don’t think it is. Was the Abercraig not round the corner on the main road.

I worded my post very poorly, Obua.  Sorry.

What I meant to say was that the Abercraig Hotel (as you correctly state, on the main road) was next door to Greenmans at the top of Broughton Street.  Greenmans was almost beside Mathers bar, hence my question.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I worded my post very poorly, Obua.  Sorry.

What I meant to say was that the Abercraig Hotel (as you correctly state, on the main road) was next door to Greenmans at the top of Broughton Street.  Greenmans was almost beside Mathers bar, hence my question.

Green mans doesn’t ring any bells sorry.

Here is a picture of Greenmans from 1981 in what is now Café Piccante the fish and chip shop at the top of Broughton Street, from the picture it looks like Greenmans extended into what is now The Street at the top corner of Broughton Street and Picardy Place.

Greenmans1981.jpg

38 minutes ago, ginga said:

Here is a picture of Greenmans from 1981 in what is now Café Piccante the fish and chip shop at the top of Broughton Street, from the picture it looks like Greenmans extended into what is now The Street at the top corner of Broughton Street and Picardy Place.

Greenmans1981.jpg

Great find, that’s before my time in the area. Morgan was spot on by the look of that.

On 09/02/2021 at 23:27, argyjambo said:

The Smith''s Menswear I knew was on the Royal Mile on the site of the old Hyams menswear shop. Smiths also had a shop in Glasgow, Renfield St as I recall. 

In my professional capacity with BofS I dealt with the owner Alan Smith who used to have his company name stencilled on the seats of the old main stand back in the mid- late eighties. His younger brother Brian, whom I was at Broughton Senior Secondary with, now sadly deceased, used to be involved with Smiths menswear until he branched out on his own selling jeans at Premises in Cockburn Street.

I did the music for their C4 advert in 1985. 

15 hours ago, ginga said:

Greenmans1981.jpg

Good one!

You could go from Greenman’s into the Abercraig Hotel (and vice versa) via a staircase that went down into the cellars and up the other side.  Both places owned by two brothers, John and Kevin Green.

14 hours ago, obua said:

Great find, that’s before my time in the area. Morgan was spot on by the look of that.

👍

3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

74C33C41-3D62-4F24-BBAE-2D88DB7BD4F2.jpeg

Leith Walk looking North. Roundabout onto London Road. Railway bridge going across a Shrubhill.

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Leith Walk looking North. Roundabout onto London Road. Railway bridge going across a Shrubhill.

I’d say photo taken from the Kirkgate and roundabout between Junction Street, Constitution Street, Duke Street, and Leith Walk. Bridge at the end of Gordon Street. 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d say photo taken from the Kirkgate and roundabout between Junction Street, Constitution Street, Duke Street, and Leith Walk. Bridge at the end of Gordon Street. 

I'd go along with that, the high wall/low wall on the right hand side is now a GPs (or was a few years back).

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

You could be right.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

That’s what I thought, I don’t remember a roundabout at the foot of the walk that’s what confused me.

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

Absolutely this.  Was there a bridge at Shrubhill? There's still tracks there and they go under Leith Walk.

On 20/02/2021 at 23:13, Radio Ga Ga said:

1967 looking South from Princess Margaret Rose Hospital 

B323FCFA-C108-4331-BE94-862124EE7E5D.jpeg

The group of tress look like what was the T wood on lothianburn golf course . Had a couple of cartilage ops in the PMR in the early 1990’s 

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

St James Place before demolition to make way for the shopping centre. 

6C3B0D85-6860-4DD3-808A-91F54D16499C.jpeg

Is that taken at Elder street ? 

On 24/02/2021 at 14:15, Radio Ga Ga said:

B37B7377-2DA3-47EB-A4E7-2422EAF98450.jpeg

AB888BA7-5CC5-455A-81C5-6FD2CC7A1290.jpeg

Don’t know why but I think the shops with awnings just look so much better 

On 17/02/2021 at 19:32, Radio Ga Ga said:

1985, anyone know when St Cuthberts stopped using horses?

6E1835D9-3036-4F93-9D55-FA04626F5B78.jpeg

That's a great photo !!   The cars on the left hand side  look like 1980s models - whereas the one on the extreme right  (Ford Anglia ?) look 1960's.

The photo brought back memories from the 1960's when I was just a young lad.  We used to have TWO different dairy companies come round in  horse-drawn carts - one was St. Cuthberts, the other was Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire Dairies.   A sort of "milk wars" scenario - the horses were lovely though, very calm and obedient despite the clattering of bottles.   

Quite surprising to learn that the last St. Cuthbert's horse was still working as late as 1985.  

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

That's a great photo !!   The cars on the left hand side  look like 1980s models - whereas the one on the extreme right  (Ford Anglia ?) look 1960's.

The photo brought back memories from the 1960's when I was just a young lad.  We used to have TWO different dairy companies come round in  horse-drawn carts - one was St. Cuthberts, the other was Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire Dairies.   A sort of "milk wars" scenario - the horses were lovely though, very calm and obedient despite the clattering of bottles.   

Quite surprising to learn that the last St. Cuthbert's horse was still working as late as 1985.  

Oh aye, I used to drive into Duff Street (off Dalry) from Blackburn and often got held up in Gorgie wi the hay eating feckers.

E and D had a depot in Blackburn with the 3 wheeled electric carts, terrible things for coupin

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Oh aye, I used to drive into Duff Street (off Dalry) from Blackburn and often got held up in Gorgie wi the hay eating feckers.

E and D had a depot in Blackburn with the 3 wheeled electric carts, terrible things for coupin

Interesting you mention the electric milk floats - I was trying to remember how the milk wars ended. I think the "Dummy" switched to them first and started delivering cream and yoghurt too (very posh !!) - it meant they could deliver while it was still dark outside without making much noise and get round more houses  per hour than the horse carts.   

The "Dummy" had some shops too.

The horse carts usually had 2 people - a "driver" and a delivery boy. Must have been hard work howfing bottles of milk to houses and flats as fast as you could - ideal fitness training for Sean Connery around Fountainbridge !!    His driver became famous too - Alex Kitson, union leader and proud Jambo (on the 500 club committee too).   

Didn't St. Cuthberts eventually become Scotmid ?   I'm guessing that the "Dummy" merged or was swallowed up by larger UK dairy companies - possibly Associated Dairies, which eventually morphed into Asda.

Edited by Lone Striker

36 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting you mention the electric milk floats - I was trying to remember how the milk wars ended. I think the "Dummy" switched to them first and started delivering cream and yoghurt too (very posh !!) - it meant they could deliver while it was still dark outside without making much noise and get round more houses  per hour than the horse carts.   

The "Dummy" had some shops too.

The horse carts usually had 2 people - a "driver" and a delivery boy. Must have been hard work howfing bottles of milk to houses and flats as fast as you could - ideal fitness training for Sean Connery around Fountainbridge !!    His driver became famous too - Alex Kitson, union leader and proud Jambo (on the 500 club committee too).   

Didn't St. Cuthberts eventually become Scotmid ?   I'm guessing that the "Dummy" merged or was swallowed up by larger UK dairy companies - possibly Associated Dairies, which eventually morphed into Asda.

If memory serves me correct (as an ex Dummy milk boy) there was a third dairy competing for business, think they had their depot just off Quality Street in Davidson Mains??

10 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

If memory serves me correct (as an ex Dummy milk boy) there was a third dairy competing for business, think they had their depot just off Quality Street in Davidson Mains??

Logan & Forrest Dairy?

3 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Logan & Forrest Dairy?

That’s the one, they were tiny in comparison to the Dummy and St Cuthberts, Cheers for confirming 

Maroon Sailor
On 23/02/2021 at 19:44, 3fingersreid said:

The group of tress look like what was the T wood on lothianburn golf course . Had a couple of cartilage ops in the PMR in the early 1990’s 

That seemed to be a hospital for the Scotland Rugby team in the early 90's. 

Saw Gavin Hastings and Gregor Townsend in the physio department on different occasions I was there.