• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
wentworth jambo
On 24/07/2020 at 12:27, FORTHCLYDE said:

Where is this circa 1965?

edinburgh where.jpg

This one's been bugging me and I've just spent an hour on it. Initially I also thought Lindsay Street looking over to the sheds that used to house Purvis Marquee Hire at the entrance to the docks - but the cobbles and building in the foreground didn't tie in. I think it may be a long gone street - Freer Street (which is being reintroduced as part of the canal quarter work). There is another photograph confirmed as Freer Street here https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinphoto.org.uk%2F0_a_o%2F0_around_edinburgh_-_where_is_it_rb_1960_edinburgh_playstreet_and_razor_edge_triumph_560.htm&psig=AOvVaw0gL-QvrWu3ggxCoggmvrQi&ust=1597846522001000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCODUvqX4pOsCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Does anyone know what has become of @Maroon Sailor?  

I hope he is ok?

I noticed his last visit was December.

Morgan did you get a satisfied answer about the ironmongers in Morningside?

30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I noticed his last visit was December.

Morgan did you get a satisfied answer about the ironmongers in Morningside?

I did indeed, TRM.  :thumbsup:

That daft auld bugger @Stuart Lyon came up with the goods, as usual.

You'd think he’d been in some sort of lockdown or something, he had that much time on his hands.  🤷🏿‍♂️

He should have just been in Thomson’s Bar as usual.  

Perhaps they were closed for some obscure reason?  Who knows?

:greggy:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You'd think he’d been in some sort of lockdown or something, he had that much time on his hands.  🤷🏿‍♂️

👍

Maybe some poster knows the whereabouts of Maroon Sailor.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Maybe some poster knows the whereabouts of Maroon Sailor.

Hope so!

Really liked the bloke.

Shanks said no

Mother in law gave me this book at the weekend, likely to have come from her fabled attic that Mrs F won’t let me look in as its supposedly a treasure trove for someone like me.

Book was published in 1979 and contains some interesting images. Will get round to scanning some for the thread.

8889A3ED-6104-4FAE-8B5B-63F61CD2F620.jpeg

9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mother in law gave me this book at the weekend, likely to have come from her fabled attic that Mrs F won’t let me look in as its supposedly a treasure trove for someone like me.

Book was published in 1979 and contains some interesting images. Will get round to scanning some for the thread.

8889A3ED-6104-4FAE-8B5B-63F61CD2F620.jpeg

A good read. You should try and get Volumes 1 & 3

Sorry no idea about Maroon Sailor's whereabouts!

Edited by Stuart Lyon

larbertjambo
22 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

This one's been bugging me and I've just spent an hour on it. Initially I also thought Lindsay Street looking over to the sheds that used to house Purvis Marquee Hire at the entrance to the docks - but the cobbles and building in the foreground didn't tie in. I think it may be a long gone street - Freer Street (which is being reintroduced as part of the canal quarter work). There is another photograph confirmed as Freer Street here https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinphoto.org.uk%2F0_a_o%2F0_around_edinburgh_-_where_is_it_rb_1960_edinburgh_playstreet_and_razor_edge_triumph_560

this photo is really annoying me now as I recognise the buildings on the main road. 

Not freer street as the main road would be fountainbridge and no gardens at front of any tenements along there. 

Freer street when demolished became the road into where the tartan club was built. 

On 16/08/2020 at 10:36, The Frenchman Returns said:

apologies if posted before but I hadn't seen this one

SC00421932.jpg?download=1&u=421932&c=%C2%A9%20courtesy%20of%20hes%20%28francis%20m%20chrystal%20collection%29

Quite close to the Hearts badge there.

3 hours ago, westbow said:

Quite close to the Hearts badge there.

Is that not it in the bottom right corner?

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Is that not it in the bottom right corner?

It is.

Opposite what was Jack Levey the jewellers.

William H. Bonney
On 18/08/2020 at 20:22, Morgan said:

was the ironmongers called Scott’s? 

Shanks said no
8 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

this photo is really annoying me now as I recognise the buildings on the main road. 

Not freer street as the main road would be fountainbridge and no gardens at front of any tenements along there. 

Freer street when demolished became the road into where the tartan club was built. 

I'm the same, the main street is ringing a dull bell. Here's an aerial photo of the area from 1929 in case it helps

Edinburgh, general view, showing Fountain Brewery, Dundee Street and Grove Street.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing north-west.  This image has been produced from a marked print.

On 11/09/2018 at 23:10, Maroon Sailor said:

Finally found out where Leith North Station was.

IMG_1831.JPG

This roof looks similar to other pic, I’m still convinced it’s Lindsay  street.

Edited by obua

Shanks said no
21 minutes ago, obua said:

Similar image around 1970

View from SE showing ESE and SSW fronts

Shanks said no
25 minutes ago, obua said:

When I searched previously i came up with Boy on tractor, Robert Blomfield, 1966

If I remember correctly his works weren't catalogued and his brother was doing it possibly after he died

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Doctor FinnBarr
15 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

A good read. You should try and get Volumes 1 & 3

Sorry no idea about Maroon Sailor's whereabouts!

Double agent mate, he's oot in a yacht reporting back to Ibaggedmysister.net

1 hour ago, obua said:

Lindsay Road.  Here's Another view. The road going off to the right is what is now Ocean Drive. The stone wall on the right threw me; It's got windows in it now, an alteration which must be newer than it looks. 

NL.jpg

wentworth jambo
19 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

LJ - I take it back and you look like you're right....as you say the buildings on the right do match up. What was throwing me was the Lindsay Street bit - I grew up in the Fort so know the area well and the bottom of Lindsay Street is very steep, whereas that picture looks relatively flat. However, looking at Street view now you can match up the end of the old Fort wall in the picture with the how it looks now - so I think it is Lindsay Street - maybe there was some street remodelling when they built Cairngorm / Grampian high rises ?? 

larbertjambo
9 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

LJ - I take it back and you look like you're right....as you say the buildings on the right do match up. What was throwing me was the Lindsay Street bit - I grew up in the Fort so know the area well and the bottom of Lindsay Street is very steep, whereas that picture looks relatively flat. However, looking at Street view now you can match up the end of the old Fort wall in the picture with the how it looks now - so I think it is Lindsay Street - maybe there was some street remodelling when they built Cairngorm / Grampian high rises ?? 

Certainly looks like lindsay road. I had a look at an ordinance survey map online from that period. Possibly taken at bottom of what was cannon street. Also looked like small gardens at front of tenements on lindsey Road. 

I'm from the fountainbridge area but we often drove around a lot. Portobello then back through leith to silverknowes. Spent part of my apprenticeship in leith(73/77) it hadn't changed too much by then.

On 24/07/2020 at 12:27, FORTHCLYDE said:

Where is this circa 1965?

edinburgh where.jpg

Is it possible that this is the corner of Gayfield Square and East London Street?

11 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

I grew up in the fort as well, when we’re you there.

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, obua said:

I grew up in the fort as well, when we’re you there.

Birth to age 15 before moving to Newhaven - left the Fort in 84

14 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Birth to age 15 before moving to Newhaven - left the Fort in 84

I was there from when they were built early sixties till early seventies.

wentworth jambo
9 hours ago, obua said:

I was there from when they were built early sixties till early seventies.

My family were there from the 60’s - but I was only born in 69

16 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Certainly looks like lindsay road. I had a look at an ordinance survey map online from that period. Possibly taken at bottom of what was cannon street. Also looked like small gardens at front of tenements on lindsey Road. 

I'm from the fountainbridge area but we often drove around a lot. Portobello then back through leith to silverknowes. Spent part of my apprenticeship in leith(73/77) it hadn't changed too much by then.

I think you're right with Cannon Street. If it was Lindsay Street, you would have seen the steps which you can see on the building before Cairngorm House. There's a wee wall in front of the painted building, which is on the viewer's side of Cannon street, where the van is sitting.

Hamburgh-place.jpg

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Hay Avenue at Niddrie Mains Terrace.

Your old stomping ground Bob. I wasn't sure what end of the tunnel it was. The photo was apparently taken about 40 years ago. The railway will be the only thing in that picture still there.

7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Your old stomping ground Bob. I wasn't sure what end of the tunnel it was. The photo was apparently taken about 40 years ago. The railway will be the only thing in that picture still there.

The tunnel was actually all that was there in my time, I will never forget that bridge on the tracks.  We went after a group of guys who had B&E'd a furniture van In Bingham  I crawled under parked wagons on the rails and had just pulled my feet  through when they were shunted and missed me I would have lost the lower half of both legs  and would possibly have bled out. Still shudder when I see that bridge .

Edited by Sharpie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201117_180428.jpg

What were they thinking, that clearly needs a cycle lane and traffic lights on every corner.

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What were they thinking, that clearly needs a cycle lane and traffic lights on every corner.

Exactly !

Like how they had separate entrances to the hotel and station.

Port and Starboard

image.png.ad9ad89e69f758c81a0a87580f57b8dc.png

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Exactly !

Like how they had separate entrances to the hotel and station.

Port and Starboard

image.png.ad9ad89e69f758c81a0a87580f57b8dc.png

Yeah, before they over complicated everything. 

Although it does look like that car on the left is about to wipe out the wee lad and his Pa.