Does Edinburgh ever change ????

Maroon Sailor
Just now, 3fingersreid said:

I remember that seating ,very futuristic at the time 😂😂

Does Edinburgh ever change ????

Not that area

Always seems to be carnage

40 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_around_edinburgh_-_waverley_market_roof_demolition_1979_000-000-545-106-c_768.jpg

I don't ever remember the roof of the old Waverley market being used as a car park. Was in their quite a few times, carnival at Christmas after being at Easter Road. Ideal Homes exhibition and in 1967, an exhibition celebrating the New Town of Edinburgh. Wish I still had the programme for that event. it was red in colour, about 6" high and 12" long ?

On 19/11/2019 at 12:35, Maroon Sailor said:

ssa_edin_palladium.jpg.939ec21f3c04d008c6e23c1438f8434a.jpg

Apparently this is the Palladium. No idea where it was 

That became a nightclub, think it was called The Muscular Arms ?

annushorribilis III
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_street_views_-_inverleith_row_lamp_post_bus_crash_a13_horizontal.jpg.b21b588351af739374427d3439d61e57.jpg

0_street_views_-_inverleith_row_google_street_view_2010.jpg

Inverleith Row. The house centre pic is where my (now) wife was living when we first met. Unfortunately she didn't own it. 

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Aye, hence my edit while you were posting. :D 

It is indeed the former Black Swan at the corner of Cockburn St - interesting that it had a cocktail bar called the Deacon's Den

On 19/11/2019 at 08:30, bobsharp said:

Either Bread Street or Fountainbridge, near the old St Cuthberts. My mother loved that old theatre as did I Johnny Victory, Lex Maclean and others.

Indirectly it was part of the reason I met my to be wife sixty two years ago. My Wednesday night polis friends had reasons none of them were going out that night. I as a result took my mother to the first house of the Palladium. After the show and we were going for the bus she said she would buy me a pint and she would go home herself. I had a pint went to the Cavendish the first people I saw were my no going out friends, I gave them a fairly obscene c haracter desc ription, saw a beautiful what I thought was an American girl with a beautiful tan, light colored hair with sun bleaced ends, I asked her for a dance and here we are sixty two years later, and she is still as beautiful to me as then..

It was in East Fountainbridge, just before the junction with Bread St. I used to go there when it was called Valentino's back in the late seventies.

Carl Fredrickson
23 hours ago, Jambothump said:

I don't ever remember the roof of the old Waverley market being used as a car park. Was in their quite a few times, carnival at Christmas after being at Easter Road. Ideal Homes exhibition and in 1967, an exhibition celebrating the New Town of Edinburgh. Wish I still had the programme for that event. it was red in colour, about 6" high and 12" long ?

IIRC the building was demolished and the waste ground was used as a car park. I mind in the mid/late 70s if my dad couldnt get parked on Princes Street then we would park in the car park. The walk up the ramp was sore on my wee legs :(

The White Cockade
On 20/11/2019 at 11:37, Jambothump said:

Top of Cockburn Street on the Royal Mile

used to go to the Black Swan after work on Fridays

bit of a s*** hole really

the bogs were literally bogging!

mostly we ended up at Mad Hatters across the road

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

RIE A&E

730071475_SlideofRoyalInfirmaryAEDept.thumb.jpg.e4caecb7264571519b99aa46239278d5.jpg

Poor sod on the trolly, laying there dying whilst the Doctors & Nurses pose for a photograph, mind they'd probably still be seen in under 4 hours, unlike 2019. 

24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Poor sod on the trolly, laying there dying whilst the Doctors & Nurses pose for a photograph, mind they'd probably still be seen in under 4 hours, unlike 2019. 

Spent lots of time in there, rowdy patients, interview accident victims, and almost standing to attention and saluting the Matrons who were the most intimidating supervisors I ever met, including Scots Guards and Edinburgh Police sergeants.

2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

used to go to the Black Swan after work on Fridays

bit of a s*** hole really

the bogs were literally bogging!

mostly we ended up at Mad Hatters across the road

As a apprentice plumber 38 years ago we got called out to a leak in the Black Swan's toilets.

Shit smeared on the walls and looked like it had been there a while too.

I think jakies used to nip in the side door on Cockburn Street and use the bogs but going by some of the drinkers in the bar I have my doubts.

A real spit and sawdust bar.

27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's some size bike

457236112_OldPhotographPromenadeJoppaEdinburghScotland.thumb.JPG.a557d345e95ea0d8b10cd98e43ca7128.JPG

I mind taking one of my laddies to that same spot to learn to ride a bike. His was slightly smaller.

luckyBatistuta
44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

SC01130795.jpg.643ade0dc62a76158792179183b8aa19.jpg

First time I’ve seen that image of Lothian road, wonder what year it is?

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Portobello4.png

The RBS branch to the right of the picture is long gone now too. Nearest is Musselburgh or Craigentinny.

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Largo Place. Taken  from Junction bridge, showing bomb damage 1941.

0-edinburgh-transport-railways-junction-

I remember my Dad taking me down to see that I would have been six.

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

First time I’ve seen that image of Lothian road, wonder what year it is?

Before I was even thought of but I’m guessing you’d have been about 10 ?

20 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

IIRC the building was demolished and the waste ground was used as a car park. I mind in the mid/late 70s if my dad couldnt get parked on Princes Street then we would park in the car park. The walk up the ramp was sore on my wee legs :(

Yes, it's quite deceptive that photo, how shallow the old market was. I spent a lot of time in Princes Mall in 2005, putting new escalators in forming atrium, shopfitting managing etc. Quite fun when attempting pile driving, for a lift shaft in New Look, trying to find out what was below the ground !