• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Can you imagine walking coos there now?

Poor turkeys had to make their own way from DM train station to the butchers !

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4261.JPG

That was after my time 1950/51 but still have my Redford Diamonds team registration card somewhere.

Shanks said no
11 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

This map from 1914 shows the art college has taken over the space, obviously before moving down to Lauriston Place. 

2019-08-08.jpg

and to narrow the date down further here's a snap off my 1905/06 map

cattlemarket.JPG

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Niddrie Mains Road (aka Beirut).

Its the first time I have looked at that building without having to  deal with a drunk fighting struggling man on a Friday or Saturday night. Lots of memories, like the night we drove past and there was a male on the roof chugging from a bottle. Turns out he and his brothers had B&E'd the place and he was the lookout. Saw the daughter of the same family get into a fight with a man at the St Cuthberts across the road, both drunk and she grabbed the man lifted him off his feet and threw him through the store window. Funny I worked around there for the better part of twelve years and cannot remember ever once being in that pub for anything.

annushorribilis III
18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4284.JPG.afe9db11985faf234572c18250889463.JPG

Is this looking down the hill to Stockbridge?  The building in the centre was a TSB when I was a kid and I think the  church in the background is since demolished for flats. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Is this looking down the hill to Stockbridge?  The building in the centre was a TSB when I was a kid and I think the  church in the background is since demolished for flats. 

It is looking towards Stockbridge

On 08/08/2019 at 17:21, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4254.JPG

I used to live in one of the terraced villas on the left hand side, Colinton Road just approaching the mini-roundabout at Polwarth Terrace.

On 13/08/2019 at 23:54, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4276.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like Charlotte Square, from the West corner of Princes Street

:)

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3435.JPG

The Scott Monument and Princes St Gardens, presumably taken from the North British hotel (now Balmoral).

On 13/08/2019 at 23:58, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4283.JPG

That looks like Leith Walk, taken from around Elm Row.  On the right would be the corner of Montgomery Street.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, RobNox said:

That looks like Leith Walk, taken from around Elm Row.  On the right would be the corner of Montgomery Street.

I think it might be taken around Elm Row

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, RobNox said:

The Scott Monument and Princes St Gardens, presumably taken from the North British hotel (now Balmoral).

It looks weird without Waverley station.

Must have been some engineering feat to get the line from Waverley to Haymarket

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I used to live in one of the terraced villas on the left hand side, Colinton Road just approaching the mini-roundabout at Polwarth Terrace.

Pity the station building has gone. Be good to see a comparison of the present day

IMG_4293.JPG.9a7ea9ebeee5d9250d8750ba8d5d7b92.JPG

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pity the station building has gone. Be good to see a comparison of the present day

Yes, that bit is now empty, and beyond there are Cala homes that were built on the bottom of Watson's playing fields, where the tennis court was.  Makes you wonder why they demolished the station house, as it would make a cracking house in a nice location.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Yes, that bit is now empty, and beyond there are Cala homes that were built on the bottom of Watson's playing fields, where the tennis court was.  Makes you wonder why they demolished the station house, as it would make a cracking house in a nice location.

It's strange because when I posted that picture I instantly knew where it was but don't remember that Station being there. Everything to the left must look like it is today

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's strange because when I posted that picture I instantly knew where it was but don't remember that Station being there. Everything to the left must look like it is today

Yes, the left hand side hasn't changed at all.  The building on the far left is a boating hut, the Union canal runs by it (which is convenient!)

Edited by RobNox

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

2019-08-16.jpg

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

2019-08-16.jpg

Thanks for that

I wonder why they decided to demolish the old Station house. Sure they could have found a use for it, like they have with that small garage over the road.  The original boat house has been replaced by a shed by the looks of that.