Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I lived in Allermuir court from the late 70's to late 80's. I used to rush home from Tynecastle to deliver the Pink News to all three blocks, and I did the Sunday morning paper round in all three blocks. I uset to play long-bangers in that drying green you can see there.

It's Oxgangs, mate. The block in the photo is Caerketton Court.

Have you seen this?

http://www.digitalsentinel.net/uploads/2015/09/Village-in-the-sky-book-40pptext-Cover.pdf

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I lived in Allermuir court from the late 70's to late 80's. I used to rush home from Tynecastle to deliver the Pink News to all three blocks, and I did the Sunday morning paper round in all three blocks. I uset to play long-bangers in that drying green you can see there.

It's Oxgangs, mate. The block in the photo is Caerketton Court.

My mistake.

Another senior moment.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My mistake.

Another senior moment.

We all have them! :lol:

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Yeh, in the newspaper article on page 36, the guys doing the semi-streak across the park when Capelaw Court was demolished was my wee brother and his mates.

I was left at the swingpark stuffing their clothes into a black bag as the local constabulary trotted past in pursuit.

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, graygo said:

Anyone know what is going on here?

edin.png

Could it be when Laurel & Hardy were in town? 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Anyone know what is going on here?

edin.png

It's Laurel & Hardy visiting Edinburgh. I posted a video of it a while ago.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

It's Laurel & Hardy visiting Edinburgh. I posted a video of it a while ago.

First time I've seen it, some scenes.

Maroon Sailor
On 07/05/2019 at 18:41, south morocco said:

Top one at Hopetoun Crescent?

I don't know. Nobody has corrected you since so it may well be

bus391.thumb.jpg.46ff5c970a53d52f39e4b44041bd5555.jpg.0ad58119ffc143e05b4a5a705c2e938e.jpg

7 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My mistake.

Another senior moment.

:rofl:

On 07/05/2019 at 17:41, south morocco said:

Top one at Hopetoun Crescent?

51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't know. Nobody has corrected you since so it may well be

bus391.thumb.jpg.46ff5c970a53d52f39e4b44041bd5555.jpg.0ad58119ffc143e05b4a5a705c2e938e.jpg

Yes. It used to be called Hope Crescent. I think that's at the Annandale Street end and that building behind Lunn's is still there.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Yes. It used to be called Hope Crescent. I think that's at the Annandale Street end and that building behind Lunn's is still there.

Cheers - not familiar with that street

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20190225_220843.jpg

Guy with the beard was called Norman. Stood beside me for years in the shed. He was deaf and mute. Loved the Hearts. I lost touch when the Wheatfield was built.

been here before
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20190225_220843.jpg

Werent shell suits a true thing of beauty? Im thinling those ones were made by Bukta, 1990ish?

Edited by been here before

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, been here before said:

Werent shell suits a true thing of beauty? Im thinling those ones were made by Bukta, 1990ish?

I think you're spot on, I couldn't find any photos but the shorts seem to confirm season 90-91, that was the only season we had the wee band round the bottom 

heart_of_midlothian-1990-1991_a.gif

Maroon Sailor
10 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Guy with the beard was called Norman. Stood beside me for years in the shed. He was deaf and mute. Loved the Hearts. I lost touch when the Wheatfield was built.

Yeah I used to stand next to him as well. Nice guy

been here before
13 minutes ago, Boris said:

7a28e17ac49e4a4323f1c6b91f730c6a.jpg

That sign was a thing of beauty. There absolutely needs to be something commemorating it in the new stand.

I keep meaning to make a wee version for the garden.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

That sign was a thing of beauty. There absolutely needs to be something commemorating it in the new stand.

I keep meaning to make a wee version for the garden.

I wonder when it changed font?

image.jpeg.f79e9349b932c17c39e660e35b8a825b.jpeg

Edited by Boris

3fingersreid
3 hours ago, Boris said:

I wonder when it changed font?

image.jpeg.f79e9349b932c17c39e660e35b8a825b.jpeg

And badge 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Edinburgh in the 1950s (18).jpg

One thing that these old street scenes really emphasise to me is that we're all just passing through.

In a few short years it will all be somebody elses stage, and the backdrop against which their hopes and dreams all play out.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Only one set of goals. 

The other set were probably in the workshop after Archie Kelly dove for a header and broke his shoulder on the upright. Probably asked for coats to use as goals. I was ther but don't remember how they fixed it.?

Jambo-Jimbo
On 12/05/2019 at 10:51, Radio Ga Ga said:

Bakehouse Close

F4236B8C-95CD-4A28-812F-28AA6F81CBB1.jpeg

Would you happen to have a date for when this photo was taken by any chance?

The hats & clothing of the two women look like Edwardian so maybe about the early 1900's, which if that were the case would be a decade out from when some of my lot lived here.

One of my Great Grandmothers & my Great Great Grandmother lived at 2 Bakehouse Close in the 1881 Census & at 6 Bakehouse Close in the 1891 Census, but moved sometime in the 1890's as they were living in Malloch's Close by 1901.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Shanks said no
50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The hats & clothing of the two women look like Edwardian so maybe about the early 1900's, which if that were the case would be a decade out from when some of my lot lived here.

One of my Great Grandmothers & my Great Great Grandmother lived at 2 Bakehouse Close in the 1881 Census & at 6 Bakehouse Close in the 1891 Census, but moved sometime in the 1890's as they were living in Malloch's Close by 1901.

I think the picture comes from here

http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/diu/2013/09/18/baldwin-brown-images-of-old-edinburgh-2/

unsure if that helps

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Love stuff like this, so someone in that photo could possibly be a relative of yours, hopefully we can dig out some more information on it?

N Lincs Jambo
12 hours ago, Boris said:

7a28e17ac49e4a4323f1c6b91f730c6a.jpg

Billy Graham gig in the 50s I reckon

Jambo-Jimbo
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I think the picture comes from here

http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/diu/2013/09/18/baldwin-brown-images-of-old-edinburgh-2/

unsure if that helps

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Love stuff like this, so someone in that photo could possibly be a relative of yours, hopefully we can dig out some more information on it?

You and me both, I love this stuff as well, especially when a photo crops up from time to time where relatives of mine once stayed and yes one or more of the people in this photo could very well be related to me, but even if there isn't a relative in the photo the very fact that I'm looking at a place/building which my ancestors looked at as well and what they saw is near enough exactly what I'm looking at as well and for me imo that bridges the generations.

Been doing a bit of digging on Baldwin Brown and the only one I can find is a Gerard Baldwin Brown who was a Professor of Fine Art at Edinburgh University, he was born in London in 1849 and in 1880 took up a role at Edinburgh University which he held until he retired in 1930, he died in 1932 at the age of 83.

These glass plate negatives are held by Edinburgh University so that ties in with (Gerard) Baldwin Brown, glass plates were in use from the 1880's through to the 1920's and I wonder if the old guy in the photo's is Baldwin Brown himself, if so then I'd put his age in the photo's as being in his 60's or 70's, meaning that the photo's probably date from around the Edwardian era to George V reign, which ties in with the clothes of the women in the Bakehouse Close photo.

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You and me both, I love this stuff as well, especially when a photo crops up from time to time where relatives of mine once stayed and yes one or more of the people in this photo could very well be related to me, but even if there isn't a relative in the photo the very fact that I'm looking at a place/building which my ancestors looked at as well and what they saw is near enough exactly what I'm looking at as well and for me imo that bridges the generations.

Been doing a bit of digging on Baldwin Brown and the only one I can find is a Gerard Baldwin Brown who was a Professor of Fine Art at Edinburgh University, he was born in London in 1849 and in 1880 took up a role at Edinburgh University which he held until he retired in 1930, he died in 1932 at the age of 83.

These glass plate negatives are held by Edinburgh University so that ties in with (Gerard) Baldwin Brown, glass plates were in use from the 1880's through to the 1920's and I wonder if the old guy in the photo's is Baldwin Brown himself, if so then I'd put his age in the photo's as being in his 60's or 70's, meaning that the photo's probably date from around the Edwardian era to George V reign, which ties in with the clothes of the women in the Bakehouse Close photo.

Think you are right that it’s him in those images

E54A9527-7993-48FD-B0A2-679009CBFFA6.jpeg

E70E5CC8-5800-4F21-A736-23BE5F7F20FD.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

He lived in 3 Grosvenor Street, before moving to 50 George Square, which would fit in with this photograph I think. This looks like it  is taken just off George Square looking towards the Meadows to me.

3D2FA728-944D-4B9E-AA70-BD417A1F698C.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In one of the other photos in the link The Frenchman posted above, is a photo of a P Smith Bakers shop, which was at 277 Canongate.  I've seen this photo dated as 'around 1890' on a facebook page.

Now, that bakers shop, owned by a Patrick Smith, first appears in The Scottish Post Office Directory in 1894-95 (and is still there when those records end in 1911-12). So if the photos in the collection were all taken around that time, it is possible that your ancestors might still have been at Bakehouse Close when the photo was taken.

Have you thought about researching your family tree? Birth, Death and Marriage certificates might give you an  address in the period between 1891 and 1901.

psmith.jpg

p-smith2.jpg

luckyBatistuta
31 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

In one of the other photos in the link The Frenchman posted above, is a photo of a P Smith Bakers shop, which was at 277 Canongate.  I've seen this photo dated as 'around 1890' on a facebook page.

Now, that bakers shop, owned by a Patrick Smith, first appears in The Scottish Post Office Directory in 1894-95 (and is still there when those records end in 1911-12). So if the photos in the collection were all taken around that time, it is possible that your ancestors might still have been at Bakehouse Close when the photo was taken.

Have you thought about researching your family tree? Birth, Death and Marriage certificates might give you an  address in the period between 1891 and 1901.

psmith.jpg

p-smith2.jpg

There is a whole floor missing?

Wedgewood restaurant is 267 Canongate?

Edited by luckyBatistuta

15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

MV5BNTAzMDI5MzgtMGNkMC00MzllLWJhNjctNjA1NmViNGUxMzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It was redeveloped in the 1950s, it must have lost the floor then as well as the opening with the stairs to the left of the shop. The building to the left, which is now The Edinburgh School of English, is 271 Canongate, but the next building along, at the opposite corner of Cranston Street is 297.  At the other end of that block, the buildings either side of New street are Nos 231 and 246, so the whole block must have been renumbered when the rest of it was built.

(https://ewh.org.uk/iconic-buildings-and-monuments/moroccos-land/

luckyBatistuta

_p

MV5BNTAzMDI5MzgtMGNkMC00MzllLWJhNjctNjA1NmViNGUxMzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I definitely crossed over somewhere, woke up at 4.55am on the couch with my iPad now on the floor. Sunstroke??  

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

It was redeveloped in the 1950s, it must have lost the floor then as well as the opening with the stairs to the left of the shop. The building to the left, which is now The Edinburgh School of English, is 271 Canongate, but the next building along, at the opposite corner of Cranston Street is 297.  At the other end of that block, the buildings either side of New street are Nos 231 and 246, so the whole block must have been renumbered when the rest of it was built.

(https://ewh.org.uk/iconic-buildings-and-monuments/moroccos-land/

It’s a weird one and I still don’t get it. The windows are a different size and rebuilt minus one floor out ??‍♂️

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Been doing that for the last 20 years now, and as it happens I can narrow the time frame down, had forgotten that I had this more detailed info namely the valuation roll info until I looked at the family in more detail via my records, as you can appreciate it's difficult to remember everything about every family group off the top of my head.

1881 - Census they are living at 2 Bakehouse Close.

1891 - Census they are living at 6 Bakehouse Close.

1895 - Valuation Roll they are still at 6 Bakehouse Close.

Dec 1896 - Daughter (my Great Grandmother) marries but address is given as 22 St. John Street, she marries a guy who lived over the road at Dunbar's Close.

Nov 1897 - Daughter has first child at 146 Canongate which is Bakehouse Close, probably number 6 but I can't confirm that.

June 1899 - Husband of my GG Grandmother & step father of my Great Grandmother dies at 2 Malloch's Close.

So it looks very much like they were still at Bakehouse Close in November 1897 and probably moved to Malloch's Close between that date and June 1899, thus meaning that it is very possible that my ancestors could very easily have been still living at Bakehouse Close at around the time of this photo.

Edinburgh University may know the exact date this photo was taken, so it might be useful for me to email them and ask.

luckyBatistuta
39 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Been doing that for the last 20 years now, and as it happens I can narrow the time frame down, had forgotten that I had this more detailed info namely the valuation roll info until I looked at the family in more detail via my records, as you can appreciate it's difficult to remember everything about every family group off the top of my head.

Dec 1896 - Daughter (my Great Grandmother) marries but address is given as 22 St. John Street, she marries a guy who lived over the road at Dunbar's Close.

Nov 1897 - Daughter has first child at 146 Canongate which is Bakehouse Close, probably number 6 but I can't confirm that.

June 1899 - Husband of my GG Grandmother & step father of my Great Grandmother dies at 2 Malloch's Close.

So it looks very much like they were still at Bakehouse Close in November 1897 and probably moved to Malloch's Close between that date and June 1899, thus meaning that it is very possible that my ancestors could very easily have been still living at Bakehouse Close at around the time of this photo.

Edinburgh University may know the exact date this photo was taken, so it might be useful for me to email them and ask.

You should maybe try and get in touch with the lady that I’ve highlighted below...

THE year is 1846. In a slum house at the bottom of the Royal Mile, a spirit seller is slowly dying from cholera.

Once a proud merchant plying his trade from an Edinburgh shop, he is now bed-ridden and weak from the disease - continuously vomiting due to the unclean water he has been drinking for years. 

Outside his small flat in the Canongate, there are open drains, filth and rubbish on the street where bare-footed children are playing. Lines of washing hung out to dry in the back closes are starting to turn grimy again thanks to the smoke and pollution that chokes the city. 

His shop has been closed for weeks, leaving his family poor and hungry as there is no money being earned. Their landlord, a powerful town elder and councillor, has just taken most of their savings as rent for their tiny flat. 

As he lies on the bed in agony, his doting daughter is trying to play down her own horrific condition as she tends to his illness. Since he is so weak, he hasn't noticed her cough getting worse or realised that she too is getting weaker - slowly succumbing to a dreadful wasting disease that has already claimed the lives of thousands across the city. It is the first sign of consumption, or tuberculosis. She will be dead in less than a month, following the same fate as her older sister who perished from fever two years beforehand. 

For the merchant, 54-year-old William Cameron, time is smiling more favourably on him than on his 19-year-old daughter. It will be another three months before he finally perishes in agony from his illness. 

The family, of course, are far from unique. Many hundreds of 19th century citizens of Edinburgh suffered the same fate in slum houses, incubating killer diseases such as cholera and consumption. 

But the reason William Cameron's name and his fate - and that of his family - is known to us is thanks to the work of Sandra Marwick, Edinburgh City Museum's learning and access manager. She has spent ten years researching the history of just one of Edinburgh's historic closes, Bakehouse Close, and those who lived there. The 500-year history of the complex of ancient buildings, now home to the Museum of Edinburgh, is almost the history of the city itself - from nobility and wealth to violence, death and disease. 

Three centuries before William Cameron met his miserable end in what was then a slum, the newly-built Bakehouse Close was home to John Aitchison - one of the leading goldsmiths of the time and the man in charge of Mary, Queen of Scot's royal mint in Edinburgh, and believed to be the second owner of the buildings. 

The squalor, poverty and disease of industrial era Edinburgh was a world away from the affluence of 16th century Canongate. 

IN 1570, Aitchison was a leading local figure and wealthy merchant. During his career as a baillie, or council enforcer, he was responsible for ridding the Canongate of a wave of "harlots" who had set up shop in the area and were trying to sell their wares to their well-off neighbours. 

After months of work, Aitchison and his fellow baillies finally forced the whores out of their homes, and the streets at the foot of the Royal Mile became an up-market area that soon attracted well-to-do businessmen and even nobles to its buildings - with dukes, duchesses and earls renting residences in the close over the 17th and 18th centuries. 

But as early as the mid-1600s, the class of clientele was already taking a dip. A man called Patrick Hart owned a property next to Acheson House, part of Bakehouse Close, at this time. A trader by profession, he was responsible for breaching the peace in the neighbourhood on a number of occasions and even ended up being imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle after one scuffle.

luckyBatistuta
46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No idea of dates?

DAEDD5F0-7351-44D7-9280-87C0A464B968.jpeg

CFAB25B7-C25E-4270-8F65-B285FBF6DD71.jpeg

163C1770-0C18-4AF7-9E74-AD1C469B6AF9.jpeg

ArcticJambo
11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

He lived in 3 Grosvenor Street, before moving to 50 George Square, which would fit in with this photograph I think. This looks like it  is taken just off George Square looking towards the Meadows to me.

3D2FA728-944D-4B9E-AA70-BD417A1F698C.jpeg

Very fair assumption.  What immediately sprung to mind was the bottom of Boroughloch, although it's obviously changed a bit since the photo was taken.  Saying that I'm sure that whole area down there has changed. Can't screen shot off Google maps/satellite but it ties in, kinda.