Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Morgan said:

Do you live up Morningside way?  Do you have an interest in this sort of stuff?  You seem pretty good on it I've noticed.

It was the original post that got me interested. PictureThis Scotland twitter feed is good to follow. Never knew there was a East Pilton railway station and that has led on here to finding out of all the other surburban disused stations. More than what I thought !

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was the original post that got me interested. PictureThis Scotland twitter feed is good to follow. Never knew there was a East Pilton railway station and that has led on here to finding out of all the other surburban disused stations. More than what I thought !

Ah, ok then.

See the 1959 picture you sent me? I recognise it but just can't put my finger on where it is?

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ah, ok then.

See the 1959 picture you sent me? I recognise it but just can't put my finger on where it is?

Top of Lothian road looking down towards Princes street.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ah, ok then.

Looking down Lothian Road to the West End

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Top of Lothian road looking down towards Princes street.

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looking down Lothian Road to the West End

FS so it is!  Duh!

Woolies just behind that bus turning the corner. And I can almost see Andersons bar and the Burnt Post!

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

FS so it is!  Duh!

Woolies just behind that bus turning the corner. And I can almost see Andersons bar and the Burnt Post!

All three of those are gone :o

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

All three of those are gone :o

I know.

Hanging Bat, Moriartys and Poundland now I think.

Just showed the picture to my wife and she didn't get it either. What was throwing her was the pillars on the left above what is now a tanning shop and a football shop.

If we'd looked further down we would have got it from the St. Cuthberts church steeple.  

Still can't believe I couldn't get that though :vrface: 

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

FS so it is!  Duh!

That's the 35 bus turning that corner. Can't be done these days

47 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I know.

Just showed the picture to my wife and she didn't get it either. What was throwing her was the pillars on the left above what is now a tanning shop and a football shop.

If we'd looked further down we would have got it from the St. Cuthberts church steeple.  

I had a problem with it also, with the immediate discussion having been Morningside I allowed myself to try and put the location there, after a while I thought this is familiar I should know it and it came back.

44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's the 35 bus turning that corner. Can't be done these days

Yeah, we were over in January and April. We went to get the 35 from Fountainbridge to the airport and found out it didn’t exist now!  Think it was a number 300 we had to take.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yeah, we were over in January and April. We went to get the 35 from Fountainbridge to the airport and found out it didn’t exist now!  Think it was a number 300 we had to take.

I was talking about the turn !

Same with the left hand turn where that Moped is in the picture

Edited by Maroon Sailor

54 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I was talking about the turn !

Same with the left hand turn where that Moped is in the picture

Got you now!  Sorry, misunderstood your post. Just re-read it and see what you were saying.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I had a problem with it also, with the immediate discussion having been Morningside I allowed myself to try and put the location there, after a while I thought this is familiar I should know it and it came back.

We got there too Bob.

Eventually!

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

I know.

I didn't recognise it either, and in 1959 I was working in Fountainbridge, right around the corner!!  :confused:

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I didn't recognise it either, and in 1959 I was working in Fountainbridge, right around the corner!!  :confused:

You might have had a few glasses of the old moose milk since then though !

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Thank God Ron!  Thought I/we were going mad.  

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

:robboyas:

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

More than a few, if the truth be told.  :cheers:

38 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

More than a few, if the truth be told.  :cheers:

Get in there Ron, you only live once.

Cheers my friend :thumbsup: 

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Brilliant pics guys/girls. The Lothian Road one was before my time but l was struggling to think where it was. It's unrecognisable now from back then. Really interesting seeing these old pics esp the railway stations!

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

When trams ran around the city and Campbell's was Campbell's...

Image result for old edinburgh pictures

Looks like someone waving a Hearts flag from that tram unless it's just wishful thinking on my behalf! Is it true that the trams used to run on mechanical cables? I think somewhere near the East End of Princes Street there is evidence of where the cables were 'powered' but perhaps lm wrong?Anyone else know what this is or am l just mistaken?

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Looks like someone waving a Hearts flag from that tram unless it's just wishful thinking on my behalf! Is it true that the trams used to run on mechanical cables? I think somewhere near the East End of Princes Street there is evidence of where the cables were 'powered' but perhaps lm wrong?Anyone else know what this is or am l just mistaken?

Isn't there a cable visible above this tram?

A quick check suggests you are indeed correct. The original trams were horse drawn before guides were laid and they were then pulled by cables.

My mother was a conductress on the old cable cars, I am not sure of the time factor, if it was when she came back from England after the war, or when she lost her job as a nannie to an army officers family at Piershill Barracks, they were going to India and wanted her to go with them, but she declined. 

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Get in there Ron, you only live once.

Cheers my friend :thumbsup: 

Hopefully we will share a moose juice together.  :toasting:

Maroon Sailor

When you could actually park on Princes Street never mind drive along it

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

That's a policeman directing traffic in the middle of the road in the second picture - imagine how long he'd last now!

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

That's a policeman directing traffic in the middle of the road in the second picture - imagine how long he'd last now!

2 seconds ! Bet they loved it when traffic lights were fitted.

Princes Street looked so much better then. Like the old bubble car parked on the corner as well

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Roughly when were  these MS?

23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

60's

Thanks, that’s what I would probably have guessed.

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 26/06/2018 at 10:09, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Some very striking things l picked up from these photos apart from the parked cars - the street is immaculately clean and there are no potholes, there is next to no street furniture cluttering the place up, there are hardly any tourists (as far as l can tell) and it looks quiet (although that could be just the time of day that the photo was taken). Loving the old school lamp posts, the old style buses and the fact the central reservation doesn't run all the way along!

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Some very striking things l picked up from these photos apart from the parked cars - the street is immaculately clean and there are no potholes, there is next to no street furniture cluttering the place up, there are hardly any tourists (as far as l can tell) and it looks quiet (although that could be just the time of day that the photo was taken). Loving the old school lamp posts, the old style buses and the fact the central reservation doesn't run all the way along!

It was 11:15 in the morning for the bottom picture.

Wouldn't be like that at 11:15 nowadays though the shops side looks busy.

This looks like Princes Street in all it's glory. Neat and tidy

AuldReekie444
On 26/06/2018 at 10:09, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

If I was a billionaire, Id buy the Balmoral, and change the name back to "North British" 

The 2CV looks quite modern there I think. 

Edited by AuldReekie444

512740032_9044620725_b.jpg

Before the modern Waverley Market (is that what its called?) was built, and after whatever this thing in front of the North British was knocked down (was it an actual real market?), I am sure I remember my mum parking in a carpark in the gap site in the 1970s when we went shopping up town.  Does anyone else remember the carpark, or am I completely making it up?

Edited by Sydney

Montgomery Brewster
On 25/06/2018 at 17:52, luckyBatistuta said:

Sorry, was too busy trawling through pics trying to find an old image of the Belhaven Inn, sadly came up with nothing.:mellow:  Used to cut through there all the time and up through Millar place.

I have seen one recently, as it jogged my memory and I was like that’s what the waiting room used to be called. 

I will keep searching for it. 

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, Sydney said:

512740032_9044620725_b.jpg

Before the modern Waverley Market (is that what its called?) was built, and after whatever this thing in front of the North British was knocked down (was it an actual real market?), I am sure I remember my mum parking in a carpark in the gap site in the 1970s when we went shopping up town.  Does anyone else remember the carpark, or am I completely making it up?

I was just going to post that I mind my dad parking on Princes Street when I was wee in the early/mid 70s and if we couldnt get parked there, we would park in a "car park" in what is now the Waverley shopping centre. 

One year we went into the New Year sales (when they started on New Years day, before all the big hogmannay party pish) and we got parked outside Boots. 

Princes Street looks so much better in these photos than it does now.  

Maroon Sailor

Now a pile of rubble but still look is better than when it was standing

IMG_1576.JPG

luckyBatistuta

Lothian road, can’t remember it looking like that on the left going down.

DF3FA991-1F02-4102-8A5C-541442F726BE.jpeg

FDA1FBF5-AA23-4BD0-A89A-07E65B6059B3.jpeg