• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nookie Bear
18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Edinburgh South re-opening proposals !

Newcraighall to Gorgie !

IMG_0819.JPG

Like others I have long believed the lines should be reopened, especially with the amount of people that need to commute to The Gyle. But one problem might be that people will expect to Park& Ride and there simply facilities for that number of cars at the smaller stations?

23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Balerno Station - still trying to picture what it is today

IMG_0818.JPG

Here's a link to an old map showing the railway lines and stations. You can see as described by others the track splitting and going under the A70 and continuing to a dead end/goods yard.  https://maps.nls.uk/view/142842251#zoom=5&lat=7341&lon=5735&layers=BT

I think the building in the picture above could be the station master house that I linked to earlier in the thread. And the track was to the right of the house. 

https://goo.gl/maps/qf6ptjmuwTn

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Here's a link to an old map showing the railway lines and stations. You can see as described by others the track splitting and going under the A70 and continuing to a dead end/goods yard.  https://maps.nls.uk/view/142842251#zoom=5&lat=7341&lon=5735&layers=BT

I think the building in the picture above could be the station master house that I linked to earlier in the thread. And the track was to the right of the house. 

Thanks for that - so the station was opposite the traffic lights before you turn left in to Balerno coming from Currie. You might be right about that house as well

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Thanks very much for the map link SUTOL. I used to live in Juniper a Green and often walked the disused railway line. It's really interesting to note that the station was to the right of the traffic lights (as you pointed out) as you would just assume it would be to the left otherwise which is exactly what l thought until now! Did you see if there was a link of a similar map further east into Edinburgh?

l saw some links to old maps in Wiki (sorry l dunno how to copy and paste from an iPad) of the old Edinburgh train lines but they weren't as good as the one that you posted.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

56 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thanks very much for the map link SUTOL. I used to live in Juniper a Green and often walked the disused railway line. It's really interesting to note that the station was to the right of the traffic lights (as you pointed out) as you would just assume it would be to the left otherwise which is exactly what l thought until now! Did you see if there was a link of a similar map further east into Edinburgh?

l saw some links to old maps in Wiki (sorry l dunno how to copy and paste from an iPad) of the old Edinburgh train lines but they weren't as good as the one that you posted.

Lots of maps on the National Library website

Train lines around Edinburgh. https://maps.nls.uk/view/144481732#zoom=3&lat=7559&lon=4932&layers=BT

:thumbsup:

will-i-am-a-jambo
37 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Lots of maps on the National Library website

Train lines around Edinburgh. https://maps.nls.uk/view/144481732#zoom=3&lat=7559&lon=4932&layers=BT

:thumbsup:

Perfect that's exactly what l was looking for! Thank you so much for that, much appreciated!

There was a 300 yr old anniversary of Juniper Green, l think back in 2007. My mum was involved in setting up a temporary museum in St Margaret's Court. Anyway, as it turned out she was visiting a neighbour and her son was there regaling stories of his youth. One of the more interesting ones was that when they were boys (lm assuming in the 50s/ early 60s) that they found some gunpowder by the railway line that l think they kept for the military and tried to blow up a door to a factory in Juniper. They didn't succeed but the bang was so loud that it was heard as far as Blackford Hill. It made the Evening News. The boys were never caught for their antics! Think his mum was shocked and she never knew the story until then.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

On 23/06/2018 at 10:33, Seymour M Hersh said:

Oh for a decent local suburban railway now! We can thank Richard Beeching for their demise. This is one of the many things that annoy me about the Tram. The clowncillors assured us their tram would be great for Edinburgh commuters. If they wanted to get traffic (cars) off the road then why not reactivate the old railway lines (or at least the ones that were left) like the haymarket to newhaven line. Now I realise that many would be up in arms at the loss of their cycle and dog walking paths but at least it would have gone where people live unlike the tram.

My Dad used to get the train from Newhaven when going to Tynecastle

Maroon Sailor

Didn't know there was a station at Easter Road either

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Didn't know there was a station at Easter Road either

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

That might have been Abbeyhill Station.

The line from Waverley branched off at Abbeyhill and went under the main road at Abbeyhill and ran towards Leith stopping at Easter Road Park directly behind the Dunbar end of Hibs ground.

The trains heading east out of Edinburgh used to stop at Abbeyhill then Peirshill on to Portobello,Joppa,Musselburgh and the borders.

When Hearts played Vale of Leithen in the SC in 1962 myself and a pal took the train from Portobello to Innerleithen iirc we stopped at Penicuik and Peebles en-route.

I think that line closed shortly after that.

Edited by luckydug

Bridge of Djoum

I hope this thread grows and grows. My grandad worked on the railways 50 years, has a mine of knowledge but can’t see or hear too well nowadays. He is 103 though! He’d love this thread. Years ago a guy from the national archives came to see him and they both sat down and my grandad talked at great length about the old rail network around the city. It’s all on tape, too. I’ll ask him if he still has copies. 

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The line from Waverley branched off at Abbey ill

You could be right, could be the same block of flats in this picture as in the top photo of the Easter Road ones.

Below is Abbeyhill

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The line from Waverley branched off at Abbeyhill and went under the main road at Abbeyhill and ran towards Leith stopping at Easter Road Park directly behind the Dunbar end of Hibs ground.

The trains heading east out of Edinburgh used to stop at Abbeyhill then Peirshill on to Portobello,Joppa,Musselburgh and the borders.

When Hearts played Vale of Leithen in the SC in 1962 myself and a pal took the train from Portobello to Innerleithen iirc we stopped at Penicuik and Peebles en-route.

I think that line closed shortly after that.

Apparently there was Easter Road Halt as well

been here before
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Merchiston Hearts?

Is behind the bus stop.

The hall is some sort of religous meeting place now.

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Morgan said:

Merchiston Hearts?

Aye - the old Merchy Hearts.

Must have been flats above the shops.

Top pic was 1953. One of the Lassies must have been waiting for her date to turn up for The Tivoli or he was the one taking the picture

been here before
30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You could be right, could be the same block of flats in this picture as in the top photo of the Easter Road ones.

Below is Abbeyhill

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

Aye thats the same place.

That line used to run right by my grannys house, so close you couls almost touch the train. The whole house would shake and everything would rattle.

There was the houses on one side, two lines and the foundry on the other. The foundry is now where Meadowbank retail park sits.

I was inly a young boy but I can still remember the hooter at the foundry signalling dinner time, finishing time etc.

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye thats the same place.

That line used to run right by my grannys house, so close you couls almost touch the train. The whole house would shake and everything would rattle.

There was the houses on one side, two lines and the foundry on the other. The foundry is now where Meadowbank retail park sits.

I was inly a young boy but I can still remember the hooter at the foundry signalling dinner time, finishing time etc.

Was that Murray Park Malting ?

been here before
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Was that Murray Park Malting ?

I dont think so. From what I can find on google it was Millers London Road Foundry.

Edited by been here before

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Couple of photos of the old stations at Millerhill and Dalkeith. I know it's not Edinburgh but.....

millerhill.JPG

dalkeith.jpg

Where was dalkeith station?

15 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I'm always amazed there was a major station at the West End on the site of the Caley up to the late 60's

The Caley station was enormous and full of interesting shops and kiosks.  When I got called up to do my National Service I left from the Caley station.  My girlfriend was there to see me off.  There were floods of tears and snotters as the train pulled away from the platform.  That was from me ... my girlfriend was perfectly calm! 

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Where was dalkeith station?

On the site of what became the bus station and is now Morrisons.

31632042_2133867113320836_5163079799698096128_n.jpg

32457102_1455104374601563_5727127847407976448_n.jpg

skinnybob72

Leith Central was the largest station built in the U.K. in the 20th century - opened in 1903 and closed in 1952!

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Meadowbank Station

IMG_1553.JPG

Always thought the Deltic was pretty special.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Leith Central was the largest station built in the U.K. in the 20th century - opened in 1903 and closed in 1952!

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

13 hours ago, been here before said:

Is behind the bus stop.

The hall is some sort of religous meeting place now.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Aye - the old Merchy Hearts.

Must have been flats above the shops.

Top pic was 1953. One of the Lassies must have been waiting for her date to turn up for The Tivoli or he was the one taking the picture

Thanks.

Edited by Morgan

skinnybob72
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Meadowbank Station

IMG_1553.JPG

Not Meadowbank in Edinburgh! Never had overhead wires....,nor foreign locomotives! 

Edited by skinnybob72

59 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Not Meadowbank in Edinburgh! Never had overhead wires....,nor foreign locomotives! 

Quick Google search shows it is Meaadowbank, New South Wales.  

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Quick Google search shows it is Meaadowbank, New South Wales.  

Thought it was a bit strange as Abbeyhill would have served Meadowbank !

skinnybob72
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thought it was a bit strange as Abbeyhill would have served Meadowbank !

Meadowbank had a temporary station during the 1986 Commonwealth Games! Just off Marionville Road, behind the stadium. 

Maroon Sailor
49 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Morningside Railway Station

634F8F53-070A-4BD0-BB4C-74BFACF2BD56.jpeg

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
43 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Morningside Railway Station

634F8F53-070A-4BD0-BB4C-74BFACF2BD56.jpeg

How many times you crossed that bridge. A little shortcut used on many an occasion. Would have been handy had that station still been in use, on staggering out of the Belhaven.

On 23/06/2018 at 15:03, Maroon Sailor said:

I assume Leith Central was at The Foot of the Walk.

Where was Leith North and Leith Citadel on today's map ?

Not sure specifically about Leith North.  However, Leith Citadel is still very visible on Commercial Street - it is a youth club but you can still see the platforms:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9775014,-3.1764355,3a,75y,130.54h,85.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd3GQrmbqMXwt6tVah4f9Mg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit - I didn't see your reply when I posted this.

I work in the area and the Citadel (or arch that remains of it) has a very interesting history with Oliver Cromwell.  History of Leith Citadel

Edited by frankblack

47 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

How many times you crossed that bridge. A little shortcut used on many an occasion. Would have been handy had that station still been in use, on staggering out of the Belhaven.

Many times LB!  Usually heading into Balcarres Street as that is where out first flat was when we got married. Not so many times going the other way though.

Can’t even remember the name of the street on the other side of the wee bridge.  Can you oblige? Was it the end of Maxwell Street maybe?

Y’know, it’s really pretty nostalgic lying here and looking at all these old Edinburgh pictures :sad: 

Maroon Sailor
36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not sure specifically about Leith North.  However, Leith Citadel is still very visible on Commercial Street - it is a youth club but you can still see the platforms:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9775014,-3.1764355,3a,75y,130.54h,85.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd3GQrmbqMXwt6tVah4f9Mg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit - I didn't see your reply when I posted this.

I work in the area and the Citadel (or arch that remains of it) has a very interesting history with Oliver Cromwell.  History of Leith Citadel

It's all good - nice 360 degree link there.

Looking at Google images there appears to have been Leith North and Leith South stations

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Many times LB!  Usually heading into Balcarres Street as that is where out first flat was when we got married. Not so many times going the other way though.

Can’t even remember the name of the street on the other side of the wee bridge.  Can you oblige? Was it the end of Maxwell Street maybe?

Y’know, it’s really pretty nostalgic lying here and looking at all these old Edinburgh pictures :sad: 

Is Maxwell Street

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Meadowbank had a temporary station during the 1986 Commonwealth Games! Just off Marionville Road, behind the stadium. 

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

This hasn't changed much.  Phot taken in 1959

IMG_0838.JPG

Maroon Sailor

Oh and sod waiting at a bus stop !

IMG_0840.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks MS :thumbsup: 

Sorry, was too busy trawling through pics trying to find an old image of the Belhaven Inn, sadly came up with nothing.:mellow:  Used to cut through there all the time and up through Millar place.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This hasn't changed much.  Phot taken in 1959

IMG_0838.JPG

Do you live up Morningside way?  Do you have an interest in this sort of stuff?  You seem pretty good on it I've noticed.