Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randy Marsh

Could be wrong but I think this was probably on the now cycle path near Spartans ground.  You can still see some of the old platforms on that path.

All roads lead to Gorgie
35 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Could be wrong but I think this was probably on the now cycle path near Spartans ground.  You can still see some of the old platforms on that path.

The one at Roseburn/ Wester Coates is probably the most obvious on the cycle path, certainly the most complete!

davemclaren
54 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Maybe part of the old Edinburgh Suburban Railway?

Yes and no. This line went to Princes Street Station behind the Caledonian hotel.  Closed to passengers in 1964. 

Trains were an important part of transport in and around Edinburgh into at least the 1940s.  It was a wide network around the city.

When I was a kid living in Royston Mains, we would walk up to that Pilton station in the picture, near Bruce Peebles, and get the train to Davidson's Mains.  We would spend the day messing about there, then get the train home again.

Gilmerton also had a station, on what today is called *ahem* station road.

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew there was a railway station at East Pilton

Lines were still down when I was a laddie though not used. Lines separated Bruce Peebles from the old city Park and going West ran behind Ainslie Park school and the old Northern General hospital, now Morriston,  along behind Ferranti's over Ferry Road where the Red bridge is now. Dissecting Telford and Drylaw into Craig leith though a line did branch off through Drylaw to D Mains. All cycle paths now.

8 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The one at Roseburn/ Wester Coates is probably the most obvious on the cycle path, certainly the most complete!

The one at Trinity is perhaps even more so.

trinitystation.jpg

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Very impressive list.

Didn’t realise there were so many.

Can't believe Leith had 4 alone !

Maroon Sailor

Didn't even know that Balerno had a railway station.

The only suburban station I really knew of as a kid was Slateford.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The old line through Colinton and out to Balerno is still in use as a path/ cycle way today!

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The old line through Colinton and out to Balerno is still in use as a path/ cycle way today!

Just trying to think where in Balerno the station was

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just trying to think where in Balerno the station was

I have cycled out to Balerno but the path stops where the School is now so maybe under there!

23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A little known local train station fact. There used to be one in Colinton village and in the twenties it was manned by a guy called John Kerr who was known as Captain Kettle because he would give the commuters tea in the morning. I think it was in Spylaw Park at the start of the old railway tunnel which used to have 'Colinton Rowdies' sprayed on its wall. 

9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have cycled out to Balerno but the path stops where the School is now so maybe under there!

I think you might be right there. Where the rugby pitch is?  

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I think you might be right there. Where the rugby pitch is?  

At Malleny Park but the station was probably on the other side of the Water of Leith opposite it.

11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

At Malleny Park but the station was probably on the other side of the Water of Leith opposite it.

I think the station was on the other side of the A70. 

Probably near Station Loan.

The former station masters house is still standing, there are new houses being built close to it.  ( https://goo.gl/maps/98ZieYDABdu )

The goods yard was on the site of what is now the High School.

Seymour M Hersh

Oh for a decent local suburban railway now! We can thank Richard Beeching for their demise. This is one of the many things that annoy me about the Tram. The clowncillors assured us their tram would be great for Edinburgh commuters. If they wanted to get traffic (cars) off the road then why not reactivate the old railway lines (or at least the ones that were left) like the haymarket to newhaven line. Now I realise that many would be up in arms at the loss of their cycle and dog walking paths but at least it would have gone where people live unlike the tram.

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

I think the station was on the other side of the A70. 

Probably near Station Loan.

The former station masters house is still standing, there are new houses being built close to it.  ( https://goo.gl/maps/98ZieYDABdu )

The goods yard was on the site of what is now the High School.

That sounds right. Good detective work :smiley2:

The White Cockade

sure my old man got the train to Hearts games from Craigmillar back in the 40's/50's

no idea what the route was though or where he got off

A few of the old stations remained with different uses after the line closed down. The Granton Road street level ticket office was a Bruce's builders when I was a youngster, I can't remember when it was knocked down but it was certainly there in the early 80's. When we were kids the "old railway" was our version of the countryside and in the summer holidays we used to wander for miles finding ourselves in unfamiliar areas that we didn't know. The entire thing was overgrown and not like the carefully looked after paths they are now. 

Edited by Tazio

I've always thought it a disgrace that the train services in Edinburgh is so limited. Surely by opening some of it again, this would be the best way to reduce car and bus traffic from the roads.

I've always wondered how Glasgow managed to keep a decent network, was it down to a better council running the city insisting that their trains carried on?

Les Izemore
37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Granton Road Station 

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_granton_r

That building on the bridge looks just like the one that still exists on Craighall Road just up from Trinity Academy. I think it’s now office space. 

I used to to cycle from Leith to Russell Road daily, it’s a great wee path. 

Maroon Sailor

I assume Leith Central was at The Foot of the Walk.

Where was Leith North and Leith Citadel on today's map ?

Maroon Sailor

Juniper Green station. I assume that's the houses on the Lanark Road up on the hill

IMG_0817.JPG

Maroon Sailor

Balerno Station - still trying to picture what it is today

IMG_0818.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

In all my years in Edinburgh I don't think I ever even stepped on the platform of any of these stations, I remember them by seeing them but never used the train. From where I lived trams and buses served most places, and a short trip to Waverley Bridge got a bus anywhere else I needed.

Maroon Sailor

Edinburgh South re-opening proposals !

Newcraighall to Gorgie !

IMG_0819.JPG

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Newcraighall to Gorgie !

IMG_0819.JPG

I think I heard somewhere that a dual gauge track was possible to open the sub line to a joint tram and rail line. Could be a safety concern with that and I don't think I would trust that too much. It would be good to see but the higher cost of rail travel opposed to buses might put people off unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Newcraighall to Gorgie !

IMG_0819.JPG

I'd love it to happen, but it's a non-starter unfortunately.

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0821.thumb.JPG.9fcc410ee33b86c20186bf61947084f0.JPG

That must be where the Tesco store is now as the old line of the track leads into the car park round the back.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I love this type of thread. 

This.

It’s quite amazing what you can learn about your own city.

Maroon Sailor

In a bar tonight and somebody said that they work near where the Pinkhill station used to be ! Spooky

265px-Pinkhill_Station_from_the_west_(geograph_4345096).jpg

Dagger Is Back
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Granton Road Station 

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_granton_r

Lived round the corner from there about 1974/75

will-i-am-a-jambo
7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Newcraighall to Gorgie !

IMG_0819.JPG

This looks like it was proposed in 2007 unless l've missed them looking to re-instate it elsewhere? Back then they were proposing it would 'only' cost £15 million, so not sure what that would equate to in today's prices. Seems like a cheap option if you compare that to the near £1bn for the tram (shudder).  Would love to see it happen but l'll not hold my breath! The south of Edinburgh desperately needs something. You only have to see the volume of traffic on the by-pass to see it is badly needed.

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

This looks like it was proposed in 2007 unless l've missed them looking to re-instate it elsewhere? Back then they were proposing it would 'only' cost £15 million, so not sure what that would equate to in today's prices. Seems like a cheap option if you compare that to the near £1bn for the tram (shudder).  Would love to see it happen but l'll not hold my breath! The south of Edinburgh desperately needs something. You only have to see the volume of traffic on the by-pass to see it is badly needed.

You're right - ironic that these surburban stations would ease modern road congestion, yet were deemed surplus to requirements at the time

Governor Tarkin
13 hours ago, Elmore said:

Spylaw Park at the start of the old railway tunnel which used to have 'Colinton Rowdies' sprayed on its wall. 

:rofl:

Flashback!!! I remember doing that! :lol:

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Early 60's, 62 I think. 

Correct.Beeching had a brain fart and killed off hundreds of stations.

will-i-am-a-jambo
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You're right - ironic that these surburban stations would ease modern road congestion, yet were deemed surplus to requirements at the time

Yep the irony is not lost on me either!

I'm not sure that opening the South Sub would make as much of a difference to congestion as extending the trams. Not that it's possible anyway.

Edited by pablo

Worthing Jambo

You are correct.

The line branched before the traffic lights with the station being on the right of the Lanark Road. This then joined the main line that goes through Kirknewton.

The left fork went into the goods yard where the school is now.

There also used to be a big fair in the now school grounds every year.

18 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Balerno Station - still trying to picture what it is today

IMG_0818.JPG

Worthing Jambo

The cut for the old railway to the right of the Lanark Road was fairly evident until recently.

The tunnel disappeared when they widened and strengthened that part of the road.