Cruises

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

Any experienced cruisers out there, thinking about booking our first one? Just looking for advice on which agents are good at putting things together etc. Looking for one which is family friendly and preferably either all inclusive or where the drinks packages aren't ridiculous. Going to be a special holiday so I know it won't be cheap and ideally it would be Caribbean although I'm open to other suggestions. Expecting to pay up to £10 all in for either 4 or 5 of us depending whether the second oldest decides to tag along, would that be about right?

Cheers

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Any experienced cruisers out there, thinking about booking our first one? Just looking for advice on which agents are good at putting things together etc. Looking for one which is family friendly and preferably either all inclusive or where the drinks packages aren't ridiculous. Going to be a special holiday so I know it won't be cheap and ideally it would be Caribbean although I'm open to other suggestions. Expecting to pay up to £10 all in for either 4 or 5 of us depending whether the second oldest decides to tag along, would that be about right?

Cheers

Assuming you meant £10k rather than £10 I think that’s doable. The cruisecritic forum has lots of info. Just back from a 10 day carribean cruise. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Cheers

Going on my first cruise next Wednesday, didn't use an agent, just booked everything myself online.

Booked the cruise directly with Royal Caribbean, you often get the best price and best deals booking direct and for 2019 bookings they currently have the Deluxe Drinks & Wi-Fi package flung in for free.

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Assuming you meant £10k rather than £10 I think that’s doable. The cruisecritic forum has lots of info. Just back from a 10 day carribean cruise. 

Lol, won't get much for a tenner right enough!!

24 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Lol, won't get much for a tenner right enough!!

Maybe a beer onboard if you don’t upgrade to the All inc drinks package. 

?

John Findlay

My retirement present to myself is going to be a cruise. One which will take in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong and, Singapore as I never got to the far east in my Naval career. I'm going myself. Selfish? Yes. But, I will have earned it.

• 3 years later...
Fxxx the SPFL

me and the missus going on our first ever cruise in July. we seemingly have to get holiday insurance with a £2 million cover any folk been on cruises before and what's the best/cheapest i can buy. The form states you have to get cruise holiday insurance.

cheers.

JudyJudyJudy

I’d love to go on a cruise . A few friends have and loved it . I fancy a Nordic cruise or Med cruise . Hopefully one of those days ! I’d advice you to look online ! And £10 grand is well within budget 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

me and the missus going on our first ever cruise in July. we seemingly have to get holiday insurance with a £2 million cover any folk been on cruises before and what's the best/cheapest i can buy. The form states you have to get cruise holiday insurance.

cheers.

Yes, make sure your policy includes 'cruise cover', there is usually a box to tick to select it when you apply for a quote online.

The usual medical cover starts at £5m+ so you won't have any issues there, the more the better though. I always go for £10m+.

If you or your missus have any pre-existing medical conditions it is important to declare them at the time of your quote, as I've heard several horror stories of people trying to save a few £'s and ending up owing £000's when something goes wrong.

You can get decent policies online from any of the usual comparison sites, it's were I always buy mine and I have pre-existing medical conditions.

Armageddon

We've been on 2.  Sensational.  Both with Royal Caribbean, the first was round the Caribbean leaving from Miami and the second round the Med leaving from Barcelona.

The food is amazing, sitting on your balcony hearing the waves is unreal, arriving at your destination when you've been sleeping is the dugs nuts and it's all totally luxurious.

We were on the Navigator of the Seas both times, at the time it was the largest in the world, now it's 13th just in RC's fleet.

Edited by Armageddon

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’d love to go on a cruise . A few friends have and loved it . I fancy a Nordic cruise or Med cruise . Hopefully one of those days ! I’d advice you to look online ! And £10 grand is well within budget 

Our Med cruise was a 9 day cruise starting from Rome (Civitavecchia to be precise), then to Messina in Sicily (We went down to Taormina), next stop was Mykonos, then Rhodes, then Santorini, then Athens and finally Naples (where we went down to Sorrento and then Pompeii) then back to Civitavecchia.    Wonderful, as we got to see lots of places we wanted to see, and did it all in a oner.

If you can afford to, get a balcony, it's just wonderful sitting there with a beer/wine and watching the open sea or the coastline etc.

Also get a drinks package, I think we saved £000's of pounds by doing so.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Our Med cruise was a 9 day cruise starting from Rome (Civitavecchia to be precise), then to Messina in Sicily (We went down to Taormina), next stop was Mykonos, then Rhodes, then Santorini, then Athens and finally Naples (where we went down to Sorrento and then Pompeii) then back to Civitavecchia.    Wonderful, as we got to see lots of places we wanted to see, and did it all in a oner.

If you can afford to, get a balcony, it's just wonderful sitting there with a beer/wine and watching the open sea or the coastline etc.

Sounds great 👍 

Fxxx the SPFL
36 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, make sure your policy includes 'cruise cover', there is usually a box to tick to select it when you apply for a quote online.

The usual medical cover starts at £5m+ so you won't have any issues there, the more the better though. I always go for £10m+.

If you or your missus have any pre-existing medical conditions it is important to declare them at the time of your quote, as I've heard several horror stories of people trying to save a few £'s and ending up owing £000's when something goes wrong.

You can get decent policies online from any of the usual comparison sites, it's were I always buy mine and I have pre-existing medical conditions.

Thanks for that Jim, wife just phoned a company and got a quote for cruise cover and it worked out at £79 for 15 day cover so not too bad she declared my high blood pressure probably caused through watching Hearts for all these years.

Fxxx the SPFL
28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

sounds brilliant Jim we've plumped for a 14 day cruise starting in Southampton on the Enchanted Princess we've booked the drinks package(15 a day hmmm) and got a free balcony upgrade. Seville (Cadiz) Barcelona, Marseilles, Livorno (Florence Pisa), Citavecchia (Rome), Sardinia, Gibraltar. looking forward to it.

We holidayed in Sorrento years ago did a organised day trip to Pompeii/Vesuvius then went back ourselves next day to Pompeii absolutely brilliant.

On 24/05/2018 at 04:15, John Findlay said:

My retirement present to myself is going to be a cruise. One which will take in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong and, Singapore as I never got to the far east in my Naval career. I'm going myself. Selfish? Yes. But, I will have earned it.

Esther and I done Australia and New Zealand, excellent both countries beautiful and people very nice.

John Findlay
Just now, Sharpie said:

Esther and I done Australia and New Zealand, excellent both countries beautiful and people very nice.

So I am led to believe Sharpie👍

manaliveits105

The Carribean is good fun and Greece - Israel through the Suez canal to Oman and Dubai was interesting but favourite has been Greek Islands /Adriatic to or from Venice - sailing in and out of Venice is fantastic. Never been on a bad cruise however - drinks package is a must if you like a drink

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Carribean is good fun and Greece - Israel through the Suez canal to Oman and Dubai was interesting but favourite has been Greek Islands /Adriatic to or from Venice - sailing in and out of Venice is fantastic. Never been on a bad cruise however - drinks package is a must if you like a drink

I found Venice a very overrated city.

Armageddon
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

When we stopped at Rome we couldn't even be arsed getting off - we just lazed about all day eating and drinking.

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Mrs JJ thought that as well, we're glad we've been but won't rush back.

Jambo-Jimbo
50 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

sounds brilliant Jim we've plumped for a 14 day cruise starting in Southampton on the Enchanted Princess we've booked the drinks package(15 a day hmmm) and got a free balcony upgrade. Seville (Cadiz) Barcelona, Marseilles, Livorno (Florence Pisa), Citavecchia (Rome), Sardinia, Gibraltar. looking forward to it.

We holidayed in Sorrento years ago did a organised day trip to Pompeii/Vesuvius then went back ourselves next day to Pompeii absolutely brilliant.

That coastal road is.....well, interesting shall I say.  😱

superjack

We've just booked our first cruise for next year fir my 50th. 7 days around the med leaving from Barcelona on royal Caribbean aboard the symphony of the seas. 

Never even considered doing a cruise until recently, but really looking forward to this.

48 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So I am led to believe Sharpie👍

If I recall we arrive in Christchurch here we boarded our ship sailed around with stops at selected areas some in country touring, then a couple of days at sea to Australia where we sailed around and visited major cities and sightseeing venues, cities just like Canada people just like Canadians but speak funny.

Fxxx the SPFL
38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That coastal road is.....well, interesting shall I say.  😱

Amalfi coast we took a bus trip a bit hairy looking down a road on Capri was even worse bus from bottom up to the top it was all over the place too many punters on board

Fxxx the SPFL
33 minutes ago, superjack said:

We've just booked our first cruise for next year fir my 50th. 7 days around the med leaving from Barcelona on royal Caribbean aboard the symphony of the seas. 

Never even considered doing a cruise until recently, but really looking forward to this.

enjoy you young whippersnapper

John Findlay
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

You have some excellent visits there.

My pick of the lot Livorno.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, John Findlay said:

You have some excellent visits there.

My pick of the lot Livorno.

looking forward to it John we missed out last year for our Ruby wedding anniversary will make up for it. just have to make sure the wife doesn't try and use some of my drinks allocation lol.

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

looking forward to it John we missed out last year for our Ruby wedding anniversary will make up for it. just have to make sure the wife doesn't try and use some of my drinks allocation lol.

🤣. I don't envy you trying to stop her🤣

A relative of mines who is an independent travel agent is very fortunate to be sailing on this ship at the moment free of charge. Wonder of the Seas, Royal Caribbean's newest ship!!

May be an image of nature

JimmyCant

We’ve done 2 with another booked for 2023

We’re moderate ish drinkers at home but you need to remember that everything at night on a cruise is drink accessible. I’d definitely get a drinks package of some kind. We didn’t on one of the cruises and our bill was eye watering. It all adds up, drinks with lunch, drinks by the pool, drinks before during and after dinner, drinks at the theatre and maybe late drinks in a couple of nights. I’m not talking about getting leathered every night either

We the med both times. I’ve never fancied the Caribbean because all the destinations seem so similar (unless you can work Cuba into the itinerary)

The med IMO gives a better variety of stops, even though your only in port for 10-12 hours, we like to see places we might go back to.

Id recommend Thomson’s and Celebrity. We also did a P&O one where the food was the best but the drinks were pricey, even if you did a package (we didn’t)

If you don’t like crowds, pick a smaller ship. 6000 people on a boat the size of 3 football pitches can be claustrophobic and seating space and restaurant times can be hard to find. This is a good year to go as many of the ships are operating at 50-70% capacity whilst there is still Covid around

Edited by JimmyCant

34 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

A relative of mines who is an independent travel agent is very fortunate to be sailing on this ship at the moment free of charge. Wonder of the Seas, Royal Caribbean's newest ship!!

May be an image of nature

Never been interested in a cruise before.. But i've watched some of the videos of this beast and my goodness, it loots amazing! 

manaliveits105
29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve done 2 with another booked for 2023

We’re moderate ish drinkers at home but you need to remember that everything at night on a cruise is drink accessible. I’d definitely get a drinks package of some kind. We didn’t on one of the cruises and our bill was eye watering. It all adds up, drinks with lunch, drinks by the pool, drinks before during and after dinner, drinks at the theatre and maybe late drinks in a couple of nights. I’m not talking about getting leathered every night either

We the med both times. I’ve never fancied the Caribbean because all the destinations seem so similar (unless you can work Cuba into the itinerary)

The med IMO gives a better variety of stops, even though your only in port for 10-12 hours, we like to see places we might go back to.

Id recommend Thomson’s and Celebrity. We also did a P&O one where the food was the best but the drinks were pricey, even if you did a package (we didn’t)

If you don’t like crowds, pick a smaller ship. 6000 people on a boat the size of 3 football pitches can be claustrophobic and seating space and restaurant times can be hard to find. This is a good year to go as many of the ships are operating at 50-70% capacity whilst there is still Covid around

Yes you are right if you like the Carribean music, culture and rum punch the Caribbean cruises are great fun but all the Islands are much the same I prefer to just do 2 weeks in Barbados now having seen the other islands on cruises. 

Francis Albert

Good revival of this thread, with people now looking at options not available during Covid. The end of our last cruise coincided with the arrival of Covid in the UK.

We were latecomers to cruises but quickly got the bug. For what it is worth we prefer

- smaller ships but not too small - 3000 preferred to 6000 capacity -apart from the scale of the ship itself in smaller ports the cruise day trippers can detract from the local atmosphere 

- the med from Southampton now our preference avoiding long haul flights and airports and offering a huge range of different ports countries and cultures without too many days at sea.

- cruises in med and indeed Europe great for finding places for a short break that you would be unlikely to come across otherwise 

- cruise lines all have strengths and weaknesses but liked all of Celebrity, Princess, P&O and Cunard with the last two being worth the higher price. Have been advised to avoid Italian lines which can be particularly noisy. 

We return to cruising later this year to Greek Islands

The thought of waking up with a hangover on a moving boat gives me nightmares 

Vancouver has a massive cruise ship industry in the summer, thousands of passengers go through the Port. My title as the Chief Superintendent of Police, was Director Police and Security, for the Port of Vancouver. It was our primary job in the summer we hired a large number of Security Guards for the season. It was excellent to mingle with the people and ensure that the security was stringent but that the people being protected never realised it was happening.

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

I used to see cruise passengers when I was on my way to work in Tunis. The braver souls/tightwads alighted the same rickety old train I would take to work in their efforts to get to Carthage. They all looked caught halfway between being glad to be off the boat and terrified of having arrived in Arab Africa. 

Think I'd do what someone else advised above and just drink and eat my way through the boat while everyone else toddled off to get themselves pickpocketed and scammed.

EIFTEy6WwAAPzQe?format=jpg&name=large

Went to Agadir in Morocco on a cruise took excursion to Taroudant which was nice but constant pestering 

Meanwhile some of the people went to the beach at Agadir and were robbed of their sweaty old T-shirts at knifepoint 

Another old guy got off boat just to say he had set foot on Moroccan soil and walked the length of the ship but was mugged !

Did Canaries and Agadir cruise another twice and in Agadir we would wave the other passengers off and almost have the boat and bars to ourselves for the day 

Edited by manaliveits105

Famous 1874

Cruises are a quality holiday. Great food and entertainment whilst you visit numerous new places for the day. I’ve been on about 7 all with P&O. Fantastic experience. They are not affiliated with P&O Ferries btw. 

Can get some great deals especially if you can travel out-with the school holidays, try planet cruises for the best deals.

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, theshed said:

Ha ha, never been on a cruise, but being from a sea faring family would not bother about a storm, been on a hovercraft in the channel when no boats were out, does not get any worse, tbf was as sick as a dog lol, might get on a cruise one day.

We have done 3 cruises, 2 on Disney ships - expensive, tips and alcoholic drinks not included but the service and food is incredible. One cruise from Cape Carnaveral to Bahamas and the other New York to Bermuda.

The other was with MSC through Western Med - upgraded to Aurea experience which gave full alcoholics drink packages, access to spa and private Aurea club member pool and sun deck. Excellent all round. Disney quality was better but this was still very good. Watched the champions league final in the Casino bar!

Waking up in a new city every day is just excellent. Ships are so large with thousands of passengers but you never seem to feel like that there is that many people on board.

Love a cruise, so I do.

John Findlay
18 hours ago, theshed said:

Lost count of the number of times I had a hangover at sea. The worst being in a force 12 off the Falkland Islands.

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

We have done 3 cruises, 2 on Disney ships - expensive, tips and alcoholic drinks not included but the service and food is incredible. One cruise from Cape Carnaveral to Bahamas and the other New York to Bermuda.

The other was with MSC through Western Med - upgraded to Aurea experience which gave full alcoholics drink packages, access to spa and private Aurea club member pool and sun deck. Excellent all round. Disney quality was better but this was still very good. Watched the champions league final in the Casino bar!

Waking up in a new city every day is just excellent. Ships are so large with thousands of passengers but you never seem to feel like that there is that many people on board.

Love a cruise, so I do.

Did 4 nights on the Disney cruise ship from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and back, way back in 2000, that was after 10 nights at their Carribean beach resort at Disneyworld itself. Was the most knackering holiday I've ever been on.

Edited by John Findlay

28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Did 4 nights on the Disney cruise ship from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and back, way back in 2000, that was after 10 nights at their Carribean beach resort at Disneyworld itself. Was the most knackering holiday I've ever been on.

We did the same mini cruise but spent a week down at Vero Beach at the Disney Vero Beach hotel. It worked well as we didnt do any theme parks and just had a great time

John Findlay
Just now, Swimmer said:

We did the same mini cruise but spent a week down at Vero Beach at the Disney Vero Beach hotel. It worked well as we didnt do any theme parks and just had a great time

👍👍

highlandjambo3

Thinking of this with two grandskidz…. 7 & 11, anyone any experience with a particular cruise ship rigged out with loads of fun stuff for kids?  I know they all probably have pools…games rooms etc.  also, is 14 days to long with kids…..is 7 days to short?

John Findlay
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Thinking of this with two grandskidz…. 7 & 11, anyone any experience with a particular cruise ship rigged out with loads of fun stuff for kids?  I know they all probably have pools…games rooms etc.  also, is 14 days to long with kids…..is 7 days to short?

14 days deffo to long. I would look at Disney cruises, they don't come cheap though.

12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Ha ha, never been on a cruise, but being from a sea faring family would not bother about a storm, been on a hovercraft in the channel when no boats were out, does not get any worse, tbf was as sick as a dog lol, might get on a cruise one day.

The memory of the "Sir Christopher" hovercraft between Ramsgate and Calais still makes me feel like heaving my guts up. :boak: