Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place

jumpship

I understand having expectations about our final league placing but how can folk say they expect a semi final or two or even a final when they don't know the cup draws?

We might get Celtic away in our first knockout ties in both cups. 

Case in point is how well Motherwell did in the cups but logic says that if they had drawn the team that knocked them out of both cups in earlier rounds then they would have had a shite season.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juanjo15

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Firstly, she didn't make any prediction, she stated what the club aims for.  Completely different things.

Secondly, had the story today been 'Ann Budge refuses to set any aims/targets for next season', what do you think the reaction on jkb would have been to that?  What would your reaction have been?

Are you always so argumentative?

I'm reluctantly about to try and dance on the head of a pin just to satisfy criticism based on your command of the English language.

Perhaps the following quote from www.simplypsychology.org will get you off my back.  " An aim identifies the purpose of the investigation. It is a straightforward ... testable statement of what the researchers predict will be the outcome". The two words are related.

As far as your second question is concerned - all I would expect and would have been happy with is a statement to the effect that we'll be out there trying to improve on where we are. The club as a whole can do no more than that. Where we end up and how we got there will be the important thing.

5 hours ago, McCrae said:

Look at what happened to RN.... most Hearts fans place huge importance on beating the wee team.

Hearts fans that don’t care where we finish in the league as long as we beat Hibs 4 times are mental.

3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Hearts fans that don’t care where we finish in the league as long as we beat Hibs 4 times are mental.

Didnt say that.  Finishing above H1b5 in the league is not as important as beating them .

Every statement from Mrs Budge or Mr Levein is pounced upon and spun in either direction depending on where they sit on the individual posters psychic colour chart.

A_A wehatethehibs

I would have preferred both Ann and Craig to have said nothing about our club finances and nothing about our club objectives.

You don’t hear Pochetinno coming out and saying “we’re spending 400m on a stadium so we might not be that good next year” and similarly you don’t hear Daniel levy coming out and saying we’re hoping to be in the “top 4 or 5” - there is a big difference between 4th and 5th isn’t there. Just as there is between 3rd and 4th in Scotland Ann. 

Keep that stuff internal IMO. Just gives the press ammo. 

9 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'd be astonished if he remained at the club if he 'failed'. He won't though so it's not something for Hearts fans to worry about.

Given he is DoF, and on be Board if Directors, it would not be that astonishing if he remained in some shape or form. 

Hopefully, a successful season means we do not need to find out. 

Edited by Paolo

10 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'd be astonished if he remained at the club if he 'failed'. He won't though so it's not something for Hearts fans to worry about.

Did he succeed in the season just gone?

Clerry Jambo
edinburghnews.scotsman.com

Ann Budge: It’ll take another year to complete Hearts’ main stand

Barry Anderson
6-8 minutes

Ann Budge admits it will take up to a year to properly complete Tynecastle Park’s new £15million main stand. The Hearts owner is comfortable with the situation having agreed with manager Craig Levein that players continue using the Wheatfield Stand dressing rooms and tunnel next season.

Budge expects every aspect of the project to be finished in 12 months’ time, but for the moment she is balancing finances. Yesterday she collected Foundation of Hearts’ final instalment of their £3million contribution to the stand on behalf of the club’s support.

Foundation of Hearts chairman Stuart Wallace with Hearts owner Ann Budge

Foundation of Hearts chairman Stuart Wallace with Hearts owner Ann Budge

Now it is about patience to finish various internal areas which are so far incomplete – whilst still funding Hearts’ £6m wage bill, player recruitment, youth academy and managing other operating costs.

“Clearly the club has a certain amount of resources and we have to decide where that goes,” explained Budge. “We have continued, despite all of this, to invest in the academy, continued to support Craig in as many ways as we can and that will continue.

“I would love this stand to be completed as quickly as we can because then all the business we do can go towards the playing squad. But we still have a way to go. I still have to balance things and see what we need for the football department, what we need for the academy. It is about balance.

“I would like to think that, by this time next year, we will have finished it. But it will take that length of time. We haven’t started on the second floor yet. I want to finish everything that has been started and do the top floor and the middle floor.

“All the heavy stuff is done in the middle floor. It’s really a matter of saying: ‘How big do the rooms need to be? How big does the kitchen need to be?’ These sorts of things.

“Once we get started I don’t think it will take that long, but we need to know we’ve got the funding in place to finish it. I don’t want to start the second floor and get halfway through it. It’s a balance.”

The Wheatfield Stand dressing rooms will be used by home and away players on matchdays until further notice. That could potentially remain the case until the start of season 2019/20.

“I agreed that with Craig and he’s perfectly happy. The changing rooms there are absolutely fine. That’s not my top priority, although that might sound strange. We accommodated the dressing rooms over there last year. If we have to go the full season still using them then that’s not an issue.”

Another added outlay is Tynecastle’s new hybrid pitch, which should be ready for use come July in the Betfred League Cup group stage. It will cost almost an extra £1m. “I knew we would have to do something and I got a ballpark estimate 18 months ago. It hasn’t come as a surprise but we’ve had to add it into the mix when it comes to how we use our resources. It’s not quite £1m but it will be pretty close to it,” said Budge, adding that the new surface shows further commitment to the team.

“It does, absolutely. We re-turfed the pitch 18 months ago and it cost £120,000-£130,000. We did it saying: ‘Please see us through for a season and a half.’ We always knew we’d have to do it. After nearly 20 years, it’s definitely time to do the pitch.”

All of the above are intended to give Hearts the greatest chance of future on-field success. Budge’s ambition in that area hasn’t altered. She still expects a marked improvement on this season’s sixth-place Premiership finish.

“We want to be contesting at the top of the table and we want to be back in Europe,” said the Edinburgh businesswoman. “I don’t think we will ever be saying anything other than we want to be in the top three or four clubs in Scotland. That hasn’t changed. We fell a bit short of it this year but we will keep aspiring to do that.”

Some Hearts fans are disgruntled at this season’s mediocrity but most Budge encounters around the Capital understand the situation. “I am still in the fortunate position that any feedback is positive,” she said. “In terms of being around Edinburgh, nobody has came up and said anything negative.

“Its all been, ‘thanks for what you are doing even though it’s not been the best season’. I don’t do social media. I have been warned off it so many times.

“The majority of the supporters are very realistic. They know that four years ago they were in a really bad place. We have not made third or fourth this season but we are still here and things are still going well and improving.”

Relentless backing from the Gorgie public has much to do with it. Foundation of Hearts have covered a fifth of the cost of the new stand, and without them the whole project would have taken significantly longer.

That could have meant a full season playing home games at BT Murrayfield rather than just the four Hearts hosted there earlier this season. “That could well have been the case,” said Budge. “Instead, because we had the funds behind us, we were able to keep pushing and pushing and get things done as quickly as we could.”

Budge suggested to FoH two years ago that, instead of repaying her for the £2.5m she used to get Hearts out of administration in 2014, that plan should be deferred to plough all monies into the stand. The fan group will now revert to paying back the owner for her original outlay.

“I think it [the final payment] is a huge landmark because when I made the suggestion originally we had some of the funding in place but we needed to find some more. It has been amazing. The fact they took it on board so quickly and now, without a hitch, we have the £3m,” said Budge.

“It has not been the season we all hoped it would be in terms of onfield performance but it hasn’t stopped the fans backing us, which is terrific.

“We would have had to find another source of funds [without them] and my objective had always been to do what we had to do without getting the club into debt.

“From that perspective, I wouldn’t say that the stand couldn’t have gone ahead, but would we have been able to go ahead so quickly and do it in such a short space of time? No. I needed to know we had the funds there.”

Nookie Bear
53 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I would have preferred both Ann and Craig to have said nothing about our club finances and nothing about our club objectives.

You don’t hear Pochetinno coming out and saying “we’re spending 400m on a stadium so we might not be that good next year” and similarly you don’t hear Daniel levy coming out and saying we’re hoping to be in the “top 4 or 5” - there is a big difference between 4th and 5th isn’t there. Just as there is between 3rd and 4th in Scotland Ann. 

Spot on. 

Why dont he club just get in with it without feeling the need to explain everything to the people. 

And i I get that some will say “ah but you will complain if she says nothing”, but there is a balance. Accorfing to this place “everyone” knew the stand costs would impact on the team so why was this even elaborated on? 

8 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Good post. We need to become a team who, no matter who or where we are playing, goes out trying to win and really believing we can win. We still won’t win every time obviously but the belief and the culture around the team that you think you will win takes you a long way.

Really? 

You think we should win games? 

:rofl: 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Didnt say that.  Finishing above H1b5 in the league is not as important as beating them .

Really? 

frankblack
52 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. 

Why dont he club just get in with it without feeling the need to explain everything to the people. 

And i I get that some will say “ah but you will complain if she says nothing”, but there is a balance. Accorfing to this place “everyone” knew the stand costs would impact on the team so why was this even elaborated on? 

Because the halfwits on here were (and still are) bashing the manager and the club for the state of the team last season.

The Treasurer
51 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. 

You seem to think that AB called a press conference to make this statement.

The press were there for the announcement that the FoH had made the final payment of the £3m we contributed to the stand. A hugely significant event that has gone virtually ignored on here.

During that press conference she was asked questions relating to the playing budget and targets/ambitions for next season.

She answered these questions in an honest and straightforward way, as she always does.

Not sure what else you expect her to do (or not do).

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

This is worth a thread of its own as it would provide some interesting debate.  Despite finishing miles ahead of Hibs in the Championship there were many fans unhappy that we lost the last derby that season.   Question is would I be happy losing the 4 derbies and finishing above Hibs?   Probably only if we were winning the league if I'm being honest.  

Geoff Kilpatrick
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Because the halfwits on here were (and still are) bashing the manager and the club for the state of the team last season.

Are you saying the team wasn't adequately resourced last season?

25 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

This is worth a thread of its own as it would provide some interesting debate.  Despite finishing miles ahead of Hibs in the Championship there were many fans unhappy that we lost the last derby that season.   Question is would I be happy losing the 4 derbies and finishing above Hibs?   Probably only if we were winning the league if I'm being honest.  

Nobody cared that much about losing the derby we did against them the season we shagged them in the Championship. League was over by then and made no difference to any natural order. 

If we sign players that allow us to be more effective away from home, we should be more than capable of a top 3 finish.

The difference between ourselves and Hibs in fourth was away form, simple as that.

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

If we sign players that allow us to be more effective away from home, we should be more than capable of a top 3 finish.

The difference between ourselves and Hibs in fourth was away form, simple as that.

I think that comes down to our mindset, more than anything.

3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Spot on. It's the main thing to be addressed this season.

As regards Hibs, never happy when they do beat us but beating them four times and still finishing below them is daft reasoning.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Now, I'm grateful for what she's helped us with and everything, but this statement, is a shocker:

What the **** the last line is all about, I do not know. 

:berra:

"But Jambos owner Budge believes Hibs’ success is good for the game in Edinburgh as a whole.

She said: “Without question we all know Hibs have had a fantastic season. They have played some good football and had some amazing results.

“That doesn’t make it worse for me — it’s a very competitive league, as it will be next year.

“Of course our supporters would prefer if it wasn’t that way. But I am glad Edinburgh is doing well, quite frankly.“

An absolute embarrassment of a statement, and gives me the cringe.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

An absolute embarrassment of a statement, and gives me the cringe.

I'm sure Hibs will issue an equally pally pally statement.

I despair at that, she is so out of touch it's scary.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Now, I'm grateful for what she's helped us with and everything, but this statement, is a shocker:

"But Jambos owner Budge believes Hibs’ success is good for the game in Edinburgh as a whole.

She said: “Without question we all know Hibs have had a fantastic season. They have played some good football and had some amazing results.

“That doesn’t make it worse for me — it’s a very competitive league, as it will be next year.

“Of course our supporters would prefer if it wasn’t that way. But I am glad Edinburgh is doing well, quite frankly.“

Leave the rivalry bit to us, Ann, and concentrate on the business side of things. You are doing a fantastic job on that front.

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

That's a bit dramatic. It's hardly a crime to be nice, and her personal opinion has exactly zero effect on our operations.

As long as there are guys like Craig Levein, Darren Murray and Gary Locke kicking about riccarton the players will know the score.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

That is a shocker. 

Without sounding too ungrateful, I personally think once we pay her back the dosh, we should probably go our seperate ways.

No doubt Ann's been great for the business, but she's so out of touch with the football aspect. Having an owner who is happy to see the businesses closest rivals be successful because it's good for Edinburgh isn't where we should be IMO.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

That's a bit dramatic. It's hardly a crime to be nice, and her personal opinion has exactly zero effect on our operations.

As long as there are guys like Craig Levein, Darren Murray and Gary Locke kicking about riccarton the players will know the score.

Personal opinion or not she’s the owner of the club and shouldn’t be coming out with that at all.  Nobody at the club should think it’s a good thing for anything that they done well last season.  “We are not here to discuss Hibs” would have been suffice. 

We_are_the_Hearts
13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Served her purpose, time to go. Soft as shit club

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm not a CL/AB basher, neither am I a Jammie Wearer...but that's ****ing hideous.

Her only concern should be about making us the best team in Edinburgh, & a major force in Scottish Football again. Not eulogising Hibs' virtues.

Are Celtic going to release a statement congratulating Rangers, if they finish 2nd next year, or win a cup?! There'd be lynch mobs after Lawell. 

Stop commenting on Hibs, for **** sake. The only time I want to hear them mentioned in the same breath as Edinburgh, as at the end of next season, after we've ****ed them into the ground.

:spoton:

No respect for vermin.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Juanjo15 said:

Personal opinion or not she’s the owner of the club and shouldn’t be coming out with that at all.  Nobody at the club should think it’s a good thing for anything that they done well last season.  “We are not here to discuss Hibs” would have been suffice. 

If that's her opinion she's free to voice it, we don't all need to agree.

This constant angry reactionary habit from sections of our support is getting very boring, it would be nice to have just one day where people aren't outraged by something.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Smithee said:

This constant angry reactionary habit from sections of our support is getting very boring, it would be nice to have just one day where people aren't outraged by something.

I think sometimes she should realise saying nothing is a better outcome.

Just now, Smithee said:

While I would agree about the outraged part the owner/chairwoman of the club shouldn’t be giving that opinion as owner/chairwoman.  Nobody at the club should feel that way and it’s not going to do anything but upset the support and even possibly the players who are raging and hurting being that far behind.  Good for Edinburgh football my arse, each clubs achievements are good for themselves and themselves only.   

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think sometimes she should realise saying nothing is a better outcome.

I think she's entitled to her opinion whether we like it or not. 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Of course she is entitled to any opinion she wants. Stuff like this is not what football supporters want to hear however.

No need to throw the toys oot the pram of course as, already alluded to above, the football guys at the club will be thinking differently.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And the support won’t like it.  Misguided big time. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Quite. She is also the face of the club so when she speaks she also needs to bear in mind the feelings of her own support. A support who remembers the behaviour of vermin five years ago.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Of course she is entitled to any opinion she wants. Stuff like this is not what football supporters want to hear however.

No need to throw the toys oot the pram of course as, already alluded to above, the football guys at the club will be thinking differently.

Agree with all of this really, seems we love a drama and a tantrum though!

35 minutes ago, Barack said:

She's just saying, effectively, what Martin O'Neill said in relation to Celtic and Rangers but said it about Hearts and Hibs.

Same as Robbo might say about Ross County and ICT. 

Local derbies are good when the competition is close. Better still when you win them when the other side is perceived as being good. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

She's just saying, effectively, what Martin O'Neill said in relation to Celtic and Rangers but said it about Hearts and Hibs.

Same as Robbo might say about Ross County and ICT. 

Local derbies are good when the competition is close. Better still when you win them when the other side is perceived as being good. 

She's happy the vermin had success. Not comparable to what O'Neill said at all.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Quite. She is also the face of the club so when she speaks she also needs to bear in mind the feelings of her own support. A support who remembers the behaviour of vermin five years ago.

She did. 

"Of course our supporters would prefer if it wasn’t that way. But I am glad Edinburgh is doing well, quite frankly"

Acknowledges what the supporters think, also gives her personal opinion.

Not having a go at AB but I’ve never been a believer in thinking both teams being good is ideal for Edinburgh. It’s not the way you can look at it in football. 

Of course, if you see your rival doing well it can spark you to react but ultimately you need to be single minded and I’ve never thought what Hibs done helps us to success.

It hasn’t in the past because we’ve been largely better than Hibs year in year out.

Hearts success keeps me happy, not Hibs. Hearts getting the headlines keeps me happy, not when Hibs get them. 

What is the reason for thinking it’s good for Edinburgh when both teams are doing well?  It’s just not how it works. Football is about rivalry and wanting the best for yourself and worst for your enemy. 

frankblack
58 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Are you saying the team wasn't adequately resourced last season?

It wasn't when you look at the lack of options up front, wide, and at full backs.

We needed more than just Naismith in up front in January.  Naismith was paid from the Walker money.

15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

She's happy the vermin had success. Not comparable to what O'Neill said at all.

O'Neill (and other Celtic minded 'pundits') want a strong Rangers. If they are not successful, they won't be strong...Just as long as they are not successful against Celtic. It means they'll take points from other rivals for the top positions in the league. 

The same can apply to us, whether it is Hibs, Aberdeen or Rangers that take points of each other and Celtic.

We have all seen the points disparity in previous years when there was just a big 2 teams, this season the top three wasn't decided till the last game of the season and the champions were only 9 points clear. 

Edited by SUTOL

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, frankblack said:

It wasn't when you look at the lack of options up front, wide, and at full backs.

We needed more than just Naismith in up front in January.  Naismith was paid from the Walker money.

Any lack of resources was self-inflicted.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, SUTOL said:

O'Neill (and other Celtic minded 'pundits') want a strong Rangers. If they are not successful, they won't be strong...Just as long as they are not successful against Celtic. It means they'll take pints from other rivals for the top positions in the league. 

The same can apply to us, whether it is Hibs, Aberdeen or Rangers that take points of each other and Celtic.

We have all seen the points disparity in previous years when there was just a big 2 teams, this season the top three wasn't decided till the last game of the season and the champions were only 9 points clear. 

Sound. I never want the vermin to win a single point.

Francis Albert
15 hours ago, Paolo said:

Fourth may not get Europe.  

We we should be aiming for first, as unrealistic as it is, so I would not expect a public announcement.  Second or third, however, is a reasonable target. Fourth is bearable, but should not be an ambition. 

Aiming for top three or four, in my opinion, is a mediocre target. 

The statement reads to me like we will be reasonably happy to get much closer to 3rd and 4th next season and provided we achieve that ("we compete" for a European place) and finish 5th or even 6th Ann will be content that we are progressing.

Still don't understand why we have not tried to reduce the funding gap through debentures or 500 club type schemes. Another season like the last two and we will have a mountain to climb when we reach the sunny uplands of a completed new stand and the greatly improved revenue streams it is supposed to bring with it (though now from different sources than originally planned).

The guff about being pleased with Hibs success  suggests there is still a slightly alarming gap in her understanding of football fans mentality.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sound. I never want the vermin to win a single point.

Same and that applies to Celtic and Rangers as well. 

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Exactly, a lot of their support wanted us out of existence, obviously not all of them. Being a Leither, I have a lot of friends who support them, and the vast majority of them didn't want us to be liquidated.

Ann has my total support. Thank goodness we've got her, but maybe she should have kept that one to herself !

BobbyJenkins
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Perhaps because Hearts are a very different model and rightly or wrongly feel it’s Right to keep the fans, future owners, in the loop. They can’t win no matter what or when they say it.