Budge has made it clear she still expects Hearts to be competing for a top-four place

jumpship

Jamboelite
54 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Unfortunately the huns are going to make some decent signings 39k season tickets sold already averaging £500 a pop so that gives them around £20million according to my bluenose work mate. I think realistically we'll finish third at best unless they go tits up. So probably a three way fight with us the hobbits and sheep for third. That's me just being realistic.

Its not close to £500 average with discounts, concessions etc... 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juanjo15

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

46 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't think she needs to remind Craig. He knows what is expected and the consequences of failure. I suspect that she is reassuring folk that she has targets that she expects to be met before rhe usual whispering campaign gains any traction..

Good statement IMO.

Felt to me like she needed to come out with something that sounded a bit more positive than the way Levein put it.  She probably saw Craig's statement and realised it was going to cause a bit of a fuss with the Acolytes of Hibricks.

merseyjambo
1 hour ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Unfortunately the huns are going to make some decent signings 39k season tickets sold already averaging £500 a pop so that gives them around £20million according to my bluenose work mate. I think realistically we'll finish third at best unless they go tits up. So probably a three way fight with us the hobbits and sheep for third. That's me just being realistic.

This is where der Sevco forget that with no banking facilities, that 20m needs to last them pretty much a whole season. 

Take the monthly wage bill out of that and it means that overspend on their income is edging them closer to the financial edge again

30 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Smacked in the heed with an axe. 

Sounds plauseable.  I can see why he didn’t want the job in the first place then. 

54 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He will be out.

Out the club completely? Out the managers job back to picking the next manager? I’m not sure Levein has any idea what if any consequence there would be.  I would guess and only a guess admission it didn’t work out as planned gratitude he took the job and tried hard and back to his director job being the right hand man (as is now) to the Chairwoman. 

i wish jj was my dad
26 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

She hasn't contradicted him. Just read it again. Carefully. 

I'm asking what the harbinger of doom was inferring. I don't see a contradiction.

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Juanjo15 said:

Out the club completely? Out the managers job back to picking the next manager? I’m not sure Levein has any idea what if any consequence there would be.  I would guess and only a guess admission it didn’t work out as planned gratitude he took the job and tried hard and back to his director job being the right hand man (as is now) to the Chairwoman. 

I'd be astonished if he remained at the club if he 'failed'. He won't though so it's not something for Hearts fans to worry about.

58 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I thought she and Craig were really tight and she is completely reliant on him? Strange that she would publicly contradict him if that is what you are inferring 

What I'm saying is it appears rather curious that she has addressed the media 24 hours after he sought to manage supporter expectations. His comments yesterday were hardly wise after what we have endured over the past 2 years. Today it would appear that Budge has provided him with a rather public reminder that a top 4 finish is expected again next season, notwithstanding the costs yet to be met relative to main stand project 

Do you take her comments in a different way?

i wish jj was my dad
17 minutes ago, Haken said:

Felt to me like she needed to come out with something that sounded a bit more positive than the way Levein put it.  She probably saw Craig's statement and realised it was going to cause a bit of a fuss with the Acolytes of Hibricks.

Indeed. That's precisely how I saw it.

5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'd be astonished if he remained at the club if he 'failed'. He won't though so it's not something for Hearts fans to worry about.

No bother ? I wouldn’t be astonished if either but appreciate your view. 

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, Spencer said:

What I'm saying is it appears rather curious that she has addressed the media 24 hours after he sought to manage supporter expectations. His comments yesterday were hardly wise after what we have endured over the past 2 years. Today it would appear that Budge has provided him with a rather public reminder that a top 4 finish is expected again next season, notwithstanding the costs yet to be met relative to main stand project 

Do you take her comments in a different way?

See posts above. It's unfortunate that we have a wee band who generate so much negativity at every opportunity and I suspect that a key driver was probably trying to avoid a seed being  planted which could potentially cause unnecessary unrest.

It's a shame that the club have to do that sort of thing but such is life.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

See posts above. It's unfortunate that we have a wee band who generate so much negativity at every opportunity and I suspect that a key driver was probably trying to avoid a seed being  planted which could potentially cause unnecessary unrest.

I think the club would be better ignoring most of the nonsense on here, personally. The idea that "malcontents" on here do damage to the club from typing on their keyboards is risible.

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, Paolo said:

Fourth may not get Europe.  

We we should be aiming for first, as unrealistic as it is, so I would not expect a public announcement.  Second or third, however, is a reasonable target. Fourth is bearable, but should not be an ambition. 

Aiming for top three or four, in my opinion, is a mediocre target. 

First is completely unachievable. It would be pointless to set it as a target.  The reality as that we'll be competing with, at best, the fourth largest budget next season, and while we'd all like to finish higher than fourth, if we did finish fourth it wouldn't necessarily represent some sort of failure on the part of the management.  Publicly setting a target of second, or even third, would simply put the board under huge pressure to change the management next season if we fell at all short of that target. 

Saying that we're targeting at least fourth place doesn't, contrary to what some people on here would like to have us all believe, mean that the club, and in particular the management team, won't be trying to achieve any higher than fourth.

Stephen Muddie
21 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think the club would be better ignoring most of the nonsense on here, personally. The idea that "malcontents" on here do damage to the club from typing on their keyboards is risible.

Which immediately begs the question: What exactly is it that the malcontents are trying to achieve? If not influence the Club are they trying to influence other supporters? In what way would they be hoping to achieve this. Stating an opinion is just that, but repeatedly stating the same opinion on every thread looks more like a campaign. 

This guy should feel privileged. He's the very first poster I've ever put on ignore (after this reply) because I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing his joyless life manifest itself in me seeing his name all over the board all of the time. Which would be nippy enough had he not a penchant for stating his crap, hate-filled opinions as fact.

We've all heard of the "feel good factor" right? This place is more like the Comedoon Factor with folk like this running around the board.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

I can't see why there is the need for the club to make any prediction about where we expect to end up at the end of the season.

No-matter the gulf in resources between us and opposition clubs surely we are still going to try and win all our games, aren't we? 

If our manager was to instill any other message prior to a game he should be shot.

Firstly, she didn't make any prediction, she stated what the club aims for.  Completely different things.

Secondly, had the story today been 'Ann Budge refuses to set any aims/targets for next season', what do you think the reaction on jkb would have been to that?  What would your reaction have been?

3 hours ago, Juanjo15 said:

Good news on Mitchell.  I hope we can make it happen.   4th isn’t good enough long term next season I would settle for it as long as it’s not behind Hibs, of that there is no excuse at all. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44216233

If we beat them 4 times next year, I couldn’t care if they are above us in the league.

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If we beat them 4 times next year, I couldn’t care if they are above us in the league.

Really? I disagree.  Although we win 4 derbies next year they won’t be above us. 

Just now, Juanjo15 said:

Really? I disagree.  Although we win 4 derbies next year they won’t be above us. 

The Derby is the most important game every season. Always has been always will be.

4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Firstly, she didn't make any prediction, she stated what the club aims for.  Completely different things.

Secondly, had the story today been 'Ann Budge refuses to set any aims/targets for next season', what do you think the reaction on jkb would have been to that?  What would your reaction have been?

Its a fair comment. 

You dont see many other clubs come out and say what is acceptable year in year own as it leaves it open to the scrutiny it has.

Why would that be the headline? You would then have the arguement you don’t hear the Aberdeen or hibs chairman coming out saying the same.

Not that I disagree with it by the way, I’m happy our expectations are public.  

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

The Derby is the most important game every season. Always has been always will be.

It shouldn’t be season defining though.  Higher in the league means the more successful in the city. 

4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Look at what happened to RN.... most Hearts fans place huge importance on beating the wee team.

They where in the lower leagues and went on to win the cup.  That’s the exception to the rule.  2 wins each and ahead of them in the league as long as not punted in the cup that they go on to win would be fair game. 

Stephen Muddie
2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Look at what happened to RN.... most Hearts fans place huge importance on beating the wee team.

Agree to an extent. In that RN's tea was oot when that happened. I shall maintain my own long held view that he should have resigned after the disgusting performances against the Maltese 3rd (4th?) placed team. Many fans do revisionism. I tend not to. He was absolutely terrible in his last season.

1 minute ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Agree to an extent. In that RN's tea was oot when that happened. I shall maintain my own long held view that he should have resigned after the disgusting performances against the Maltese 3rd (4th?) placed team. Many fans do revisionism. I tend not to. He was absolutely terrible in his last season.

Agreed

JamboGraham
1 hour ago, Juanjo15 said:

Ann Budge has previously stated that if Craig Levein fails then she will likely be looking for a new DOF and Manager.

48 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Are you actually for ****ing real??? You think the club are issuing statement because some fans are expressing disappointment on JKB!!

That is truly ****ing staggering stuff to come away with man ffs 

Here is the reality - Budge stated minimum league placing attainment was 4th in 16/17 and 17/18. It was missed by a ****ing mile. She is reminding Mr Levein very publicly that top 4 is minimum expectation again next year. I'm not sure she can publicly do this again and not act if failure to me such targets are evident once more 

You continually get worked up with fellow posters who have differing views. This is the most far fetched nonsense yet 

JamboGraham
2 hours ago, 7628mm said:

Lots of posters are looking at placings, which of course is important in monetary terms, but I am more inclined to look at increasing our points total as this is IMHO a better indication of league progress. For next season if we can get to 69 points this would be a sign of good progress but may not give us anymore prize money.

You make a fair suggestion regarding points...however did you select 69 as it is 2 more points than Hibs this year (it is a very specific number).

It is worth looking back at previous season average points for 2nd-4th. This year is a bit of a freak with so many teams getting so many points. Partly due to a very poor bottom six and of course our poor away form helping along the totals.

In a rather long winded way I am saying 69 points is a massive target, quite rare in the top league.

Nookie Bear
40 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

. Which would be nippy enough had he not a penchant for stating his crap, hate-filled opinions as fact.

Sounds very much like a chap who posts in the Shed

:smile:

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Are you actually for ****ing real??? You think the club are issuing statement because some fans are expressing disappointment on JKB!!

Here is the reality - Budge stated minimum league placing attainment was 4th in 16/17 and 17/18. It was missed by a ****ing mile. She is reminding Mr Levein very publicly that top 4 is minimum expectation again next year. I'm not sure she can publicly do this again and not act if failure to me such targets are evident once more 

You continually get worked up with fellow posters who have differing views. This is the most far fetched nonsense yet 

Frankly, Spencer. This alongside most of the other bollocks you post is..well bollocks.

You were posting earlier that she is completely reliant on Levein, they are a double act and I've not forgotten your reprehensible inference about their relationship in a previous thread either. Now you are saying she is publicly rebuking him.

I admit to getting pissed off when I read your constant digs at the club but not this time.  It's actually quite funny / sad that you've tied yourself into knots to try and find an angle on this one so I'll let you work out how you can square the circle for yourself. Have a nice night. 

19 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Ann Budge has previously stated that if Craig Levein fails then she will likely be looking for a new DOF and Manager.

Have you got a link to that please? 

@VladMagic
18 minutes ago, Spencer said:

You insinuated that Ann Budge and Craig Leveins relationship was more than just business.

That will never be forgotten and your credibility, opinion, place on this HEARTS forum is worth a big fat **** ALL!.

I would suggest changing usernames.

1 minute ago, VladMagic said:

You insinuated that Ann Budge and Craig Leveins relationship was more than just business.

That will never be forgotten and your credibility, opinion, place on this HEARTS forum is worth a big fat **** ALL!.

I would suggest changing usernames.

I said there was something curious about their relationship 

Thanks for the advice. I'll file it in the shitter with the rest of your posts :thumbsup:

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

4th minimum for Budge. I'm happy with that. Like how she points out that we have and have had enough of a budget to achieve that despite failing. We'll more than likely achieve that next season I'm my opinion but it's away from home I need to see a change in Levein's mindset. 4th or 3rd with scraping points away going for draws isn't good enough for me.

I'd rather we tried and failed than not try at all. Think back to Ibrox. That should never happen again.

9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Frankly, Spencer. This alongside most of the other bollocks you post is..well bollocks.

You were posting earlier that she is completely reliant on Levein, they are a double act and I've not forgotten your reprehensible inference about their relationship in a previous thread either. Now you are saying she is publicly rebuking him.

I admit to getting pissed off when I read your constant digs at the club but not this time.  It's actually quite funny / sad that you've tied yourself into knots to try and find an angle on this one so I'll let you work out how you can square the circle for yourself. Have a nice night. 

I suggest you put me on ignore along with others who's opinion that you find so difficult to accept 

Best leave you to a merry band who accept 6th and are happy to still have a club to support 

51 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

We'd have still been 3 points behind Hibs this season if Hearts had won all 4 derbies. 

Getintaethem

If you look at balance sheets we are financially one of the top four biggest clubs in the country.  A third or four place finish and the semi finals of both cup competitions should always be the minimum target.  Last season we underachieved, that led to Hibs having a slightly better season than average and getting into Europe.  

Celtic won the treble which in itself is a great achievement, but really it's what they should be doing given their finances.  Aberdeen finished third and got to a semi final, that's really just an average season.

The biggest overachievers last season were probably Motherwell, two cup finals and a comfortable seven place finish make them the team who punched above their weight.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Fight,fight,fight...

Glad it's not gone off topic. 

:laugh:

20 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

We'd have still been 3 points behind Hibs this season if Hearts had won all 4 derbies. 

This season was a disaster that should never be repeated though going forward.  

JamboGraham
41 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Have you got a link to that please? 

It was quite well documented from the press conference at the time so on a number of outlets but here is one...not posted a link before. Hope this works...!!!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/craig-levein-reveals-took-hearts-11075447

Stephen Muddie
58 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sounds very much like a chap who posts in the Shed

:smile:

I stay well clear of that forum. I'm here to talk about HMFC. Hope whoever's irritating you in there with their opinions stops it soon.

:huh2:

JamboGraham
36 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

If you look at balance sheets we are financially one of the top four biggest clubs in the country.  A third or four place finish and the semi finals of both cup competitions should always be the minimum target.  Last season we underachieved, that led to Hibs having a slightly better season than average and getting into Europe.  

Celtic won the treble which in itself is a great achievement, but really it's what they should be doing given their finances.  Aberdeen finished third and got to a semi final, that's really just an average season.

The biggest overachievers last season were probably Motherwell, two cup finals and a comfortable seven place finish make them the team who punched above their weight.

Right now it is a top five in terms of finance. Hibs are also in there. In fact I strongly suspect that Hibs are currently paying a higher average salary across their first team compared to ours.

Hibs weren’t slightly better than average. This was a once in a generation return for them...

Aberdeen were 2nd, not 3rd and beat a team with 3 times their budget so better than average surely?

On the biggest over achievers that surely has to be Killie rather than Motherwell?

Escobar PHM
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

League 'target' = try to win as many games and points as you can as they come along ( one game at a time normally ) and see where it takes you.

Cups targets = win each round as they come along.  Win a round... play in the next round.   Get beat... play no further part in it.

Setting actual league position targets and cup winning targets is rather silly.    If Hearts as a club performs to the level it should perform at then the level of achievement will be acceptable to people.

Good post. We need to become a team who, no matter who or where we are playing, goes out trying to win and really believing we can win. We still won’t win every time obviously but the belief and the culture around the team that you think you will win takes you a long way.

33 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Good post. We need to become a team who, no matter who or where we are playing, goes out trying to win and really believing we can win. We still won’t win every time obviously but the belief and the culture around the team that you think you will win takes you a long way.

At last some very good posts here.

5 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

Does that mean Adao and Milinkovic are not happening?

sadface

Wee need Adao and Milinkovic. They are exceptional players.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Wee need Adao and Milinkovic. They are exceptional players.

Only need them if price right , if there clubs want massive transfer fees it quite rightly ain't gonna happen and we'll have to look elsewhere 

I honestly don't understand how people can wind themselves up so much over every little thing that comes out of Tynecastle, nor what is posted on Kickback. 

It must be a full time occupation.