Malt Whisky

Banjoheed

My favourite is Macallan - but there are so many the choice is endless. Is it possible to taste every single malt?

MacAllan, Highland Park, Laphroaig. Noticed Lagavulin got a few mentions, funny how folks tastes differ , cos that to me tastes like a medicine.:eek:

My favourite is Macallan - but there are so many the choice is endless. Is it possible to taste every single malt?

Over what time period? In one night? Wouldn't have thought so.

I guess it would be really hard because so many distilleries have closed down over the years and there are so many rare whiskies. I don't know how many distilleries the SMWS have on their books now, but if you were serious about trying different whiskies I'd start there.

http://www.smws.co.uk/

If your ever looking for the best in Irish Whiskey, try Middleton Rare, it'll be expensive like, probably ?120 a bottle (guessing) but worth it.

It's superbio.

Carl Fredrickson

Been keeping an eye on this thread all day and it inspired me to have a couple of large ones tonight....most unusual for a school night:

Bowmore - a light Islay malt and an Ardbeg

VERY tasty

The Mighty Thor
It's a Gordon and McPhail bottling - nothing special as far as I know. But your estimate sounds pleasingly higher than any he's had so far!

If it's a Gordon and Macphail bottling it may well be single cask which ought to make it even more rare given a cask is only 225 Litres or 300 bottles!

Brian Whittaker's Tache
If it's a Gordon and Macphail bottling it may well be single cask which ought to make it even more rare given a cask is only 225 Litres or 300 bottles!

Anything prewar is pretty rare

Anything from 1939 - 1945 is EXTREMELY rare as most distilleries went over to making acetone for bomb making during that time.

Also most whiskies that were made during the war were peaty as coal was in short supply so any distilleries left in production switched to peat as their energy source.

I currently have a bottle of Dalwhinnie in the house which is nice. I'm also a fan of Highland Park. Don't drink whiskey too often, but can still tell the difference between a good un and gut rot.

The 1937 Macallan mentioned earlier would be the dogs baws. Wouldn't have the bottle to open it though (pardon the pun)! LOL!

:)

Brian Whittaker's Tache
I have still to taste a bad malt

You've not had Glen Moray? or that abomination that was Loch Dhu?

The Mighty Thor
Anything prewar is pretty rare

Anything from 1939 - 1945 is EXTREMELY rare as most distilleries went over to making acetone for bomb making during that time.

Also most whiskies that were made during the war were peaty as coal was in short supply so any distilleries left in production switched to peat as their energy source.

Totally agree. It's rocking horse ****.

I've never had anything of that vintage in whisky so i couldn't say with accuracy but i'd imagine the peaty-ness would be ripened out by now as it softens out with age.

I've had wine from 1943 and another from 1956 and both were very interesting but not worth the ridiculous money that was paid for them.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. It has prompted me to check out what I currently have by way of malts.

I have 12 (unopened) bottles, as well as 2 or 3 that are open. They are mostly the ready available 'everyday' malts, however I have 2 that may be of interest.

1. A 23 year old limited edition cask strength (61.2%) Linkwood, bottle 2763

As a 'mature' student several years ago I was fortunate enough to study with a girl who in some way worked in, or had access to rare malts, can't really remember where. I explained how much I had enjoyed my SMWA bottle of 'Linkwood' Based on this she 'acquired' the above bottle (bottled in Sep 1977) and gave it to me.

I am sure it will be beautiful, but I'm equally sure you agree that you need to have a special moment to open a malt such as this. Now, were Hearts ever to win the league... more likely it will be used to toast a grand child many years from now.

2. A 21 year old Limited Edition 'Glenfiddich Millennium Reserve'

It is in a Gold colured (heavy cardboard) box, and although marked limited edition, does not have a bottle No or say how many bottles were produced. the label on the bottle says 'Very Rare', its probably not though, more of a marketing ploy I think. This one was a gift from my Mum !

Anyone have any knowledge or views on these two?

I was previously a member of the SMWA however my membership has lapsed. If any current members are minded to arrange a Kickback tasting evening at the society, I would be delighted to participate - Could be a great evening?

I think I'll have a wee Macallan later on this evening....

There's nothing on the label to indicate that it's single cask. I just hope my dad continues to look after the bottle properly!

The only rarity lurking at the back of my own booze cabinet - although I do have one heck of a lot of single malts on the go at the moment - is an unopened bottle of Talisker from 1956.

leginten

a bottle of Macallan from 1937

bottle of Talisker from 1956

Sounds like pretty good stuff!

John: I did say the Macallan belongs to my dad! The Talisker was actually a well-intentioned mistake by a generous if occasionally befuddled friend, who bought me it as a 21st birthday present thinking 1956 was the year of my birth. Unfortunately he was two years out! I've somehow never got round to opening it. No idea if it's worth anything, but I'll certainly be hanging on to it.

Highland Park 18 yr old

Isle of Jura 21 yr old

Benromach 21 yr old - Tokaji wood finish

And if I can't get my hands on a 18 or 21 yr old ;), then a Laphroaig or JD and coke will do.

Was in a pub in the city centre and they never knew what to charge me for a nip of Glenfiddich 12 years old. Eventually they came back and said how does 1.50 sounds.

Same happened to me at a pub in Portobello with a Highland Park 18 yr old, polish barmaid didn't know the price so ?1.50 for a 35ml measure and a great night it was.

I was previously a member of the SMWA however my membership has lapsed. If any current members are minded to arrange a Kickback tasting evening at the society, I would be delighted to participate - Could be a great evening?

That really could be fun actually, seems there are more members than just me on the board, so we could sign a whack of folks in...

Fact it would be Hearts fans meeting in deepest darkest Leith would be all the funnier!

Brian Whittaker's Tache
That really could be fun actually, seems there are more members than just me on the board, so we could sign a whack of folks in...

Fact it would be Hearts fans meeting in deepest darkest Leith would be all the funnier!

I'm up for that

We could always do Queens Street

I have a pile of guest passes here that a mate gave me

Sounds like a grand night out

upthehil - are you still a current member?

It's my birthday in Feb and my wife said she's consider renewing my membership for me. I was on their site and see that if, in joining you give the details of a member who recommended you, that member will receive a ?10 voucher.

Let me know if you're interested.

john

ps, I'd prefer the Kickback malt whisky evening to be in the Queen street venue, I've never been there.?

I'm up for that

We could always do Queens Street

I have a pile of guest passes here that a mate gave me

Sounds like a grand night out

Sounds like an idea?

I'd definately be interested.

upthehil - are you still a current member?

It's my birthday in Feb and my wife said she's consider renewing my membership for me. I was on their site and see that if, in joining you give the details of a member who recommended you, that member will receive a ?10 voucher.

Let me know if you're interested.

john

ps, I'd prefer the Kickback malt whisky evening to be in the Queen street venue, I've never been there.?

Thanks mate, PM sent. We could do Queen Street before or after or both an upcoming Hearts game

I'm trying to get into whisky so last year, a friend and I went to a couple of distilleries in Moray - Glen Grant and Glenfiddich.

I must admit that I preferred the Glenfiddich, and have a bottle at home at the moment.

I don't drink at home very much though, so it's the only one I have really tasted (the sample at the distillery tours don't count).

We have a distillery in the town that I work in (Glen Garioch - Oldmeldrum), so I want to try some of that soon...

Not a malt as far as I am aware, but I had a wee snifter of Johnnie Walker Blue Label yesterday at my Brother-in-law's.

Very nice it was too.

Archived