Hybrid Pitch

kila

53 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I realise we're going in circles now generating more heat than light on the subject BUT the top skimming sounds really small beer. 6-7mm? It feels deeper than that, in all senses

“We just take the top layer off, you are only talking about six or seven millimetres, and then put it back. Job done.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/07/24/getting-the-needle-to-be-pitch-perfect-at-wolves/

I think the problem lies underneath. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Without stating the bleeding obvious the club didn't really get the opportunity to do what was needed or even what it wanted to do.

Maybe/Hopefully next summer it will resolved.

April to October was more than enough time to sort the issue don't you think. 

9 hours ago, RobboM said:

Not the skimming though. That's not a process exclusive to hybrid pitches. The artificial fibres below the surface give a stable and deep anchor for the roots to entwine and that's what stops the cutting up and divoting, as far as I understood it anyway

You're missing the point that the artificial fibres sit just above the ground too. The real grass entwine around these fibres making it more durable. 

If I remember rightly there is only 200mm of soil for the grass to root into.  That isn't very much for strong grass roots.  My guess is that the sand/aggregate below that has got compacted and it is difficult to alleviate that given the heating is in that layer.

But what is clear is that so far it has been an appalling return on investment compared to replacing the turf as required.

On 12/11/2020 at 17:39, davemclaren said:

Bought as seen unfortunately. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Like an Arthur Daley car, ☹️, surely some kind of checks.

3 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

April to October was more than enough time to sort the issue don't you think. 

Worldwide pandemic.

Ground staff an furlough. Potentially outside contractors too.

*Funds at minimum of hundreds of thousands diverted to court case, backed by virtually entire fan base.

Budgets reduced by several million.

Fan base demanding promotion at first opportunity (albeit that is a given and smaller clubs budgets reduced too) with a squad that needed at least 50% overhaul.

Now that's not saying no pandemic, guarantees the pitch would have been fixed, budget available, or AB deciding fixing it is a priority, but there are far more factors than saying the time was there.  So many other potential constraints.

*Maybe this us the real issue.  AB not willing to stand up to fans and say 'no' having a decent chance is too much of a risk, I've got a hundred other things that money and resources should be focusing on.  Of course, not going to court may have cost millions in on non ST renewals.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Worldwide pandemic.

Ground staff an furlough. Potentially outside contractors too.

*Funds at minimum of hundreds of thousands diverted to court case, backed by virtually entire fan base.

Budgets reduced by several million.

Fan base demanding promotion at first opportunity (albeit that is a given and smaller clubs budgets reduced too) with a squad that needed at least 50% overhaul.

Now that's not saying no pandemic, guarantees the pitch would have been fixed, budget available, or AB deciding fixing it is a priority, but there are far more factors than saying the time was there.  So many other potential constraints.

*Maybe this us the real issue.  AB not willing to stand up to fans and say 'no' having a decent chance is too much of a risk, I've got a hundred other things that money and resources should be focusing on.  Of course, not going to court may have cost millions in on non ST renewals.

If that were really the case, the club could've said that and there'd have been army of volunteers willing to make sure whatever was needing done was done. Or some fundraiser. My local golf club had volunteers helping maintain the course during the full lockdown while all staff were furloughed.

I'm fairly sure the Hearts twitter posted photos of Tynecastle under the hot sun back in June/July and the pitch had been mowed with the pattern etc.

13 minutes ago, kila said:

If that were really the case, the club could've said that and there'd have been army of volunteers willing to make sure whatever was needing done was done. Or some fundraiser. My local golf club had volunteers helping maintain the course during the full lockdown while all staff were furloughed.

I'm fairly sure the Hearts twitter posted photos of Tynecastle under the hot sun back in June/July and the pitch had been mowed with the pattern etc.

Re pitch sorry, some ground staff were furloughed. 

That's fair but there is a difference between 'maintaining' and whatever is wrong with ours.  Also up until end July(?) , even a minute of 'consultancy' wasn't allowed otherwise furlough terms negated.

Edited by DETTY29

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Re pitch sorry, some ground staff were furloughed. 

That's fair but there is a difference between 'maintaining' and whatever is wrong with ours.  Also up until end July(?) , even a minute of 'consultancy' wasn't allowed otherwise furlough terms negated.

One of the ground keepers posted in this thread a year or so ago and said because of the festival concert last August they weren't able to skim the pitch (take the top off) and let the grass re-spawn from existing root and presumably some fresh seed too. I think, from memory it took 4-5 weeks for the pitch to recover after that process?

Anyway with our first game in October and the pitch clearly being mowed back in the summer, were they able to skim this time around? If not, why not?

19 minutes ago, kila said:

One of the ground keepers posted in this thread a year or so ago and said because of the festival concert last August they weren't able to skim the pitch (take the top off) and let the grass re-spawn from existing root and presumably some fresh seed too. I think, from memory it took 4-5 weeks for the pitch to recover after that process?

Anyway with our first game in October and the pitch clearly being mowed back in the summer, were they able to skim this time around? If not, why not?

These are the (2) 64,000 dollar questions...

As an edit I'd imagine the skimming would be done by external contractors rather than the I think, one in house grounds man not furloughed.

But then maybe due to the damage being done to pitch not getting the proper care it needs, Robbie should have had to sacrifice a player or two, backroom staff.

Or not employing JJ as an adviser, new CEO, more redundancies.

The only thing the pandemic gave us was time, it's what are all the other constraints and priorities, I suppose.

Edited by DETTY29

On 14/11/2020 at 08:17, Boris5115 said:

832d5bd74bb882ceac0d8260ef4973086d1d9158.thumb.jpg.4b8e8b9550f1c9d1c4631731b6269f99.jpg

Yes this is the way it should be as long as the water doesn’t stop draining to where it should drain to.

35 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Yes this is the way it should be as long as the water doesn’t stop draining to where it should drain to.

Are you suggesting that there is a problem with the drainage. Pitch looks very soft to be fair. 

On 17/11/2020 at 15:57, Boris5115 said:

Are you suggesting that there is a problem with the drainage. Pitch looks very soft to be fair. 

Tynie was never great for draining. If everything you can see or get to looks ok if there is a problem it can only be deep down or the maintenance. If only I was a gardener 🤪

On 14/11/2020 at 12:41, kila said:

This was debated last year and frankly sounds like bollocks (imo).

Our first game was in July. The concert was in August.

• 1 year later...

Considering the time of the year, and compared to other grounds, the pitch looks in very good condition. Balls running well in the warm ups. 

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know why we still seem to have strips of turf running the length of the pitch that are more yellow than the rest of the surface?

Perth to Paisley
12 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Does anyone know why we still seem to have strips of turf running the length of the pitch that are more yellow than the rest of the surface?

Tony Watt 'weak bladdering'  himself from Halket

33 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Nothing to worry about 

50 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Guessing to do with the heat and lack of rain recently. Seems to be in a pattern so something to do with where the under soil heating equipment is?

3 hours ago, ejbh said:

Guessing to do with the heat and lack of rain recently. Seems to be in a pattern so something to do with where the under soil heating equipment is?

or drainage pipes?