Hybrid Pitch

kila

I was speaking to a Celtic fan and they said they had the very same issue with their pitch in its second winter.  (I think ours is from the same supplier.)  They said this winter it has been fine. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, primrose said:

I was speaking to a Celtic fan and they said they had the very same issue with their pitch in its second winter.  (I think ours is from the same supplier.)  They said this winter it has been fine. 

The Celtic one had a disease, no surprise there I suppose. ;) 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3775754/celtic-park-disease-pitch/

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The pitch played a blinder yesterday with the Rangers defender slipping on it at Naisy’s goal. ☺️

And our Sean Clare slipping for the huns goal!!

9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

And our Sean Clare slipping for the huns goal!!

There have been no complaints from players though.......

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

There have been no complaints from players though.......

No. But slips happen on any surface, even immaculate ones.

Ex member of the SaS
18 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The pitch played a blinder yesterday with the Rangers defender slipping on it at Naisy’s goal. ☺️

Heard the ground staff used a pop up sprinkler to trip him up.😁

Bazzas right boot

Pitch again played fine. 

Looks OK, not great tho so some work to be done but it plays flat and is not bobbly. 

It's always played OK. 

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The Goldson one is giff gold. 

Hilarious, proper face first stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Pitch again played fine. 

Looks OK, not great tho so some work to be done but it plays flat and is not bobbly. 

It's always played OK. 

So you have said.....and said....and said....😴

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So you have said.....and said....and said....😴

Ooft, getting pulled up by you for being repetitive.

:arf:

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Not to be this guy, but the players complain about the pitch. 

BOOM. You can't put that back in the box!! 😃

16 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ooft, getting pulled up by you for being repetitive.

:arf:

Works both ways Tosh

On 25/01/2020 at 22:56, farin said:

There wasn’t enough time between the concert & season start to do it & have a playing surface ready for the next home game. The timing of the concert so close to the new season caused this.. 

The concert was after the first home games. 

Ex member of the SaS

Looked way better than the Hibs pitch on TV last night. Maybe just the lights but it looked crap and very bare in places ( matched the crowd in that respect. )

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Scotland Women's team are due to play at Tynecastle on 5th June. No idea but how will this effect the maintenance programme that wasn't carried out last close season due to the concert. Surely this isn't going to be jeopardised again. 

Ex member of the SaS

With regards condition it looks far better than Celtic's ( and they have the same pitch ) Can't understand how hard can it be to maintain the grass ( even  in winter ) The whole concept of hybrid is to make the grass roots stronger and with the plastic " shoots" make it look green all year round, and much more hard wearing. Whatever the cause of the poor condition, hopefully it's fixed and we should not see a repeat next season.

28 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I see the Scotland Women's team are due to play at Tynecastle on 5th June. No idea but how will this effect the maintenance programme that wasn't carried out last close season due to the concert. Surely this isn't going to be jeopardised again. 

But the concert was after the season had already started...

Skimming takes a few weeks or so to recover right? League cup will start 7 weeks after the women's game.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Skimming takes a few weeks or so to recover right? League cup will start 7 weeks after the women's game

Let's not start all that again. :Lol:

we proved the concert excuse was not reason.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With regards condition it looks far better than Celtic's ( and they have the same pitch ) Can't understand how hard can it be to maintain the grass ( even  in winter ) The whole concept of hybrid is to make the grass roots stronger and with the plastic " shoots" make it look green all year round, and much more hard wearing. Whatever the cause of the poor condition, hopefully it's fixed and we should not see a repeat next season.

I’ve noticed a lot of pitches look in really bad condition currently. Ibrox and the San Siro the last two that stood out as being particularly bad.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Let's not start all that again. :Lol:

we proved the concert excuse was not reason.

What an interesting choice of wording.

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve noticed a lot of pitches look in really bad condition currently. Ibrox and the San Siro the last two that stood out as being particularly bad.

San Siro was always a problem pitch, they used to re-lay it up to 4 times a season just due to the differences in climate in the seasons and high stands affecting natural light getting to it.  This was before hybrid pitches but I guess they still will have issues.

The san giro on the other hand, its a shit hole no matter what

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, kila said:

Skimming takes a few weeks or so to recover right? League cup will start 7 weeks after the women's game.

One of the groundsmen moles posted that some off season maintenance wasn't done because it would have been a waste of money given the concert plans. I guessed that was skimming and that while a game or two might not have affected grass growth after skimming covering half the pitch completely for days on end might. And the very different appearances of the two halves after the concert seemed to support that theory.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

One of the groundsmen moles posted that some off season maintenance wasn't done because it would have been a waste of money given the concert plans. I guessed that was skimming and that while a game or two might not have affected grass growth after skimming covering half the pitch completely for days on end might. And the very different appearances of the two halves after the concert seemed to support that theory.

But the pitch was fine a couple of weeks after that, and was in great condition till, I think, about the end of October.  

With the bad weather forecast and a pitch as bare as a badgers arse, we could have a mud bath to go along with a blood bath against Accies tomorrow! 🙈

One or two apologists keep telling us the pitch “plays fine” - we’ll find out tomorrow I guess. 🤔

Francis Albert
47 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

But the pitch was fine a couple of weeks after that, and was in great condition till, I think, about the end of October.  

I don't remember it being in great condition or even fine. But if the club offered some explanation of why our £1m pitch looks like it does then maybe we could all stop speculating on the reason.

Edited by Francis Albert

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't remember it being in great condition or even fine. But if the club offered some explanation of why our £1m pitch looks like it does then maybe we could all stop speculating on the reason.

There are pictures posted earlier in this thread. 

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I know I'm swimming against the tide with this, but I actually like a bit of water and mud in a game of football because to my eyes it provides a better spectacle.

I don't subscribe to the view that a poor pitch benefits poorer players. A good player should have the technique to control the ball in a variety of conditions. Players these days don't have that technique because they only play and train on carpets, and because they didn't play on cobbled streets with tennis balls when they were kids like we did.

So we just have to recruit players who grew up playing in cobbled streets with tennis balls and our pitch will be perfect and worth every penny!

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Players who play and practise on a variety of surfaces should develop a better all-round technique. Do you disagree with this?

My post wasn't serious. Sorry I don't do smilies. I regret the loss of the tanner  ba' trained player and the prevalence of athletic robots in the modern game but it is where we are. 

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

😉

For the benefit of someone who’s not paid attention to this thread for a while now, what’s your conclusive proof?

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

One or two apologists keep telling us the pitch “plays fine” - we’ll find out tomorrow I guess. 🤔

In a game against Hamilton in pissing rain and 50mph gusts. Pitch is the least of our worries.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

No problem, I didn't really think you were serious.

I completely agree with you.  I actually quite dislike modern football, for many reasons, but it's all I have now :(

Agree with you both... my pet hate is the amount of footballers that can’t pass/shoot with both feet. I find it more prevalent down south, all these multi-millionaires that can only use one peg! 🤬

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

For the benefit of someone who’s not paid attention to this thread for a while now, what’s your conclusive proof?

I was being a bit of a wido, Phil.

No conclusive proofs, but very decent sounding  "in the knows"

Only go back to page 92.

Essential maintenance (skimming) wasn't done.

Some blame the concert, but if they bother to engage their brain, there was plenty time before and even after the concert. DU game was 3 weeks before the concert.

14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

No conclusive proofs, but very decent sounding  "in the knows"

I'd wager that my "in the know" is more in tune with the goings on than anyone else. tbf.

3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

With the bad weather forecast and a pitch as bare as a badgers arse, we could have a mud bath to go along with a blood bath against Accies tomorrow! 🙈

pitch will still be better than Hamilton, Killie or Livingston's

2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

pitch will still be better than Hamilton, Killie or Livingston's

Oh that’s all right then...

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

I know I'm swimming against the tide with this, but I actually like a bit of water and mud in a game of football because to my eyes it provides a better spectacle.

I don't subscribe to the view that a poor pitch benefits poorer players. A good player should have the technique to control the ball in a variety of conditions. Players these days don't have that technique because they only play and train on carpets, and because they didn't play on cobbled streets with tennis balls when they were kids like we did.

Ah water, mud, 30 yard slide tackles....lovely!

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Here we go again, Cruickshank's on the case so round and round we go.

Meanwhile nobody knows for certain.

Not much point being “on the case” as the Club will never release the real reason for the shit condition of the pitch.

Meantime we will find out tomorrow if there has been the big improvement to the pitch promised by the Club at the AGM....

18 minutes ago, graygo said:

Here we go again, Cruickshank's on the case so round and round we go.

Meanwhile nobody knows for certain.

Cut the auld yin some slack, it's Valentine's day.

Imagine living with him.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not much point being “on the case” as the Club will never release the real reason for the shit condition of the pitch.

Meantime we will find out tomorrow if there has been the big improvement to the pitch promised by the Club at the AGM....

I reckon that should be way down on your list of priorities tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Cut the auld yin some slack, it's Valentine's day.

Imagine living with him.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No chance, I'm in Spain and Valentine's Day was yesterday. 😁