Hybrid Pitch

kila

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Shall we all create a massive cluster **** of negative posts calling for the heads of everyone or should we let some grass grow?

Let’s do both. 

:greggy:

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may be the case that the whole pitch has been sanded, ask any golfer how a decent looking green can look bad after being sanded. But i do agree the pitch is not looking good. 

2 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

What I have been told is that the fibre strands that should sit just above the ground are now compacted beneath the surface. Hence the reason why the top layer needs to be skimmed off close season and these insertions will be visible again. I was also told that although they are not visable at the moment they are still helping hold the surface together and that if they weren't there the pitch would be a hell of a lot worse. Just passing on what I was told tho. 

Boris.....sounds like you know the Groundsman or one of his staff? Am i correct?

2 minutes ago, Fourcandles said:

Boris.....sounds like you know the Groundsman or one of his staff? Am i correct?

I know someone who knows. 

2 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

What I have been told is that the fibre strands that should sit just above the ground are now compacted beneath the surface. Hence the reason why the top layer needs to be skimmed off close season and these insertions will be visible again. I was also told that although they are not visable at the moment they are still helping hold the surface together and that if they weren't there the pitch would be a hell of a lot worse. Just passing on what I was told tho. 

19 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I know someone who knows. 

Thanks for the info.

By what you are saying, I suspect we will struggle on for the rest of the season.

Hopefully a mild winter and a good spring. If not, we get heavy rain after heavy rain, this thread will go into meltdown.

A proper maintenance programme after the last game and get it all re-seeded, it should get back on track.

Doesn't stop being ridiculous that it has come to this, would be good to know the cause.

23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Thanks for the info.

By what you are saying, I suspect we will struggle on for the rest of the season.

Hopefully a mild winter and a good spring. If not, we get heavy rain after heavy rain, this thread will go into meltdown.

A proper maintenance programme after the last game and get it all re-seeded, it should get back on track.

Doesn't stop being ridiculous that it has come to this, would be good to know the cause.

Yes your right it should never have got to this but unfortunately it has . I don't believe the same vital end of season maintenance will be compromised again and that the surface will be back to what it was in its first full season. 

It looks like the greens at the golf club after they have been treated in the winter to ensure they are in peak condition come May/June.  Whatever happened earlier in the season has had a lasting impact that wasn’t expected.  Not sure we will be doing those concerts again 

3 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

So is the failure to skim the surface in the close season the reason for the state of the pitch Boris? That has never been mentioned by the Club.

27 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

It looks like the greens at the golf club after they have been treated in the winter to ensure they are in peak condition come May/June.  Whatever happened earlier in the season has had a lasting impact that wasn’t expected.  Not sure we will be doing those concerts again 

I dont get the maintenance not being done because of the concert, it doesn't stack up.

Complete red herring.

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So is the failure to skim the surface in the close season the reason for the state of the pitch Boris? That has never been mentioned by the Club.

Have the club ever mentioned anything re the pitch apart from saying that they have had no complaints. I'm not the only one who has mentioned on this topic that failure to carry out this maintenance has had an effect on the surface. 

Just now, Boris5115 said:

Have the club ever mentioned anything re the pitch apart from saying that they have had no complaints. I'm not the only one who has mentioned on this topic that failure to carry out this maintenance has had an effect on the surface. 

Yes it has been mentioned before Boris but you seem to have had it confirmed by someone ITK?

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yes it has been mentioned before Boris but you seem to have had it confirmed by someone ITK?

I believe I answered that a few posts ago. 

1 minute ago, Boris5115 said:

I believe I answered that a few posts ago. 

Just spotted it “I know someone who knows”.

So finally the truth is out then.

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Just spotted it “I know someone who knows”.

So finally the truth is out then.

I think we all just want the pitch tip top as it was in the first season and I have not doubt that will be the case next season. 

3 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I think we all just want the pitch tip top as it was in the first season and I have not doubt that will be the case next season. 

I’m sure it will be. Painful lessons have been learned.

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I’m sure it will be. Painful lessons have been learned.

It's just crazy that we are having to talk about this as this major investment was supposed to ensure a pristine playing surface for years to come. As you say painful lessons have been learned. 

2 hours ago, farin said:

There wasn’t enough time between the concert & season start to do it & have a playing surface ready for the next home game. The timing of the concert so close to the new season caused this.. 

Our final home league cup game was 24 July. Surely the concert is irrelevant given that the skimming surely couldn't have been done and new grass grown between 24 July and the opening league game on 10 August anyway?

8 hours ago, farin said:

There wasn’t enough time between the concert & season start to do it & have a playing surface ready for the next home game. The timing of the concert so close to the new season caused this.. 

Last game 4th May

First game 12th July (69 days)

Last LC game 24th July

First PL game 10th August (17 days)

Concert 2nd Aug

Next home game 31st Aug (21 days)

Red ****ing Herring

If 17 days was enough, we had 21 days after the Ross County game before the next.

Edited by Tommy Brown

pettigrewsstylist
11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I dont get the maintenance not being done because of the concert, it doesn't stack up.

Complete red herring.

Agreed. Suspect it serves a decent purpose of clouding real reason, and thats why its been allowed to grow wings and not quashed by those who authorised concert.

But then...im a sceptic by trait.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

If the pitch was compacted by the concert, how did it recover throughout September and then deteriorate mid October?

Or, areas where the concert did not affect. Why are those areas just as bad (eg Corner at section A)?

It's BS.

12 hours ago, Smith&Weston said:

Aye right. As if concerts aren't more important than having the worst pitch in Scotland.

Edited by RudiHMFC

19 minutes ago, farin said:

The fact is the skimming wasn’t done before the concert or after it for reasons only hearts know tbh. Given the state of the pitch now it looks a very bad decision with hindsight. Hopefully we’ve learned our lesson though. 

Learned what lesson though? That implies someone ****ed up rather than it being a disease or something unavoidable. £1m on a pitch and the club **** it up but it's OK because lessons have been learned - essential maintenance is essential after all!

I think it'll be a talking point during Sky Sport's coverage today, especially if we beat Rangers (and ironic given the state of Ibrox)

Seymour M Hersh
33 minutes ago, farin said:

The fact is the skimming wasn’t done before the concert or after it for reasons only hearts know tbh. Given the state of the pitch now it looks a very bad decision with hindsight. Hopefully we’ve learned our lesson though. 

I keep seeing assertions that this wasn't done or that wasn't done. Do we know for sure that a. they were meant to be done and b. has someone from the club admitted they were not done when they should have been? And, for the avoidance of doubt I know absolutely feck all about pitch maintenance and have no idea what should and shouldn't be done to keep the pitch at it's best. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

I keep seeing assertions that this wasn't done or that wasn't done. Do we know for sure that a. they were meant to be done and b. has someone from the club admitted they were not done when they should have been? And, for the avoidance of doubt I know absolutely feck all about pitch maintenance and have no idea what should and shouldn't be done to keep the pitch at it's best. 

Yes, the groundkeeper posted this:

On 10/01/2020 at 22:50, 18grantmc74 said:

That’s why it’s not fantastic cause it’s the same pitch. Top needs to come off 

Seymour M Hersh
4 minutes ago, kila said:

Yes, the groundkeeper posted this:

Cheers. So that's what skimming is taking to top off.  So if it wasn't done someone is responsible and needs disciplined. I take it this skimming can't be done mid season. 

Haringshairband

It's not a £1m pitch the 1m includes new drainage and undersoil heating. I take it people like throwing out the 1m figure to add drama to their posts?

Edited by Haringshairband

6 minutes ago, farin said:

Wasn't done, should’ve been done. Bad decision making that we’re paying for now. No red herring or conspiracy theory behind this, just bad judgment etc. 👍🏻  

If that is the case then who took the decision and why? Given we will own the club next month, we should be told this so we can vote on the appropriate punishment.  😎

Just now, Haringshairband said:

It's not a £1m pitch the 1m includes new drainage and understood heating. I take it people like throwing out the 1m figure to add drama to their posts?

Thank goodness you corrected that, there was us all thinking it was £1m on grass seed alone...

The point is why spend £1m on such a high end pitch if the maintenance isn't going to be done right so we end up with the same shite top surface we had prior to the investment?

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If that is the case then who took the decision and why? Given we will own the club next month, we should be told this so we can vote on the appropriate punishment.  😎

Groundkeeper posted on here it was out of their control, and also hinted Levein had them training on it a lot.

So the conspiracy I can coin from that is back in the summer during the build up to the League Cup group stage games, Levein had them training on the Tynecastle pitch in the nice weather and he overruled the groundkeepers who wanted to take the top off.

🤷‍♂️

Jambof3tornado
25 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Cheers. So that's what skimming is taking to top off.  So if it wasn't done someone is responsible and needs disciplined. I take it this skimming can't be done mid season. 

No. The overseeding carried out will start coming through soon enough. Just need to put up with what we have.

3 minutes ago, farin said:

Kickback draw to see who issues the birching on the plaza, to be streamed live on hearts tv. 😄 

Sounds like a plan. 

26 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

It's not a £1m pitch the 1m includes new drainage and undersoil heating. I take it people like throwing out the 1m figure to add drama to their posts?

Great post. 

1 minute ago, campbell said:

From the studio box it looks in good condition, surely closer up it won’t quite look as good 

Agree with your first sentence!!!

hopefully close up it also looks good

Edited by Sharky999

2 minutes ago, campbell said:

From the studio box it looks in good condition, surely closer up it won’t quite look as good 

Let's hope so, can't have it improving or this thread dies.

Well I suppose the "we demand answers" bit will carry on for a while.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Let's hope so, can't have it improving or this thread dies.

Well I suppose the "we demand answers" bit will carry on for a while.

This thread will get bumped in the summer with folk demanding evidence the top was actually skimmed this time :whistling:

been here before
21 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

I would be embarrassed turning up for a Junior game on a pitch like that.

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

If it rains it is going to be like the battle of the Somme today. 

:rofl:

What a drama queen.

2 hours ago, farin said:

Wasn't done, should’ve been done. Bad decision making that we’re paying for now. No red herring or conspiracy theory behind this, just bad judgment etc. 👍🏻  

Unfortunately, the concert keeps getting thrown in as an excuse for the missed maintenance, where I pointed out there was a 21 day period petween games after the concert. Hence my red herring comment.

I am of the opinion that it has been really poor judgement.

30 minutes ago, kila said:

From Sky Sports this morning. Has it been painted green since yesterday?!

EPM3uhYXUAELGyc?format=jpg&name=medium

I remember seeing a documentary on the EPL. it was looking back at the 80's, (pre EPL) pitches were  generally grassless mudbaths.

Aston Villa's in particular, a really bad one. They painted the mud green, players interviwed were laughing at it being like a glue once it got all trampled on and mixed in with the mud.

The White Cockade

I thought pitch looked to have improved on Saturday

Not brilliant to look at but good enough to play football on

kingantti1874

Thought it played and looked a fair bit better.. 4 -6 more weeks till the grass starts growing again.. then a refurb in summer.. all good

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I thought pitch looked to have improved on Saturday

Not brilliant to look at but good enough to play football on

Definitely looked better than the pictures suggested. 

The pitch played a blinder yesterday with the Rangers defender slipping on it at Naisy’s goal. ☺️

On 26/01/2020 at 14:12, farin said:

Regardless, it’s done & we have to now get on with it as it is tbh. 

40AE1D2F-3442-4CF3-8AC2-42027ABFEE22.thumb.jpeg.5b2f9dea7a950f81165dab58f6f5162d.jpeg

I've seen it a lot worse at this time of year.