Jack the Ripper

Bridge of Djoum

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Gardeners Arms! :thumbsup: A favourite haunt of many of us during uni days.

"Horrible place"? You philistine. But the more people don't acknowledge Norwich, the more the locals have the last laugh, because it remains unspoilt. :) 

I never did know the actual name. Cheers for that. Seemed a decent boozer.

Norwich actually isn't that bad really. I'd spent some days in Suffolk prior, a beautiful village called Lavenham. The Krays hid out there in the day at a hotel called the Angel, (I think). 

shaun.lawson
19 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

I never did know the actual name. Cheers for that. Seemed a decent boozer.

Norwich actually isn't that bad really. I'd spent some days in Suffolk prior, a beautiful village called Lavenham. The Krays hid out there in the day at a hotel called the Angel, (I think). 

They did. I've been to the Angel quite a few times. Excellent food - but it was years ago now. 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Or, which book are you trying to sell with a new suspect?

Exactly! And that's what the whole mini-industry is based on. 

Must admit to having read this thread today and wondered why I didn't do my PhD on this. It is the ultimate murder mystery, after all. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

They did. I've been to the Angel quite a few times. Excellent food - but it was years ago now. 

I think that hotel was bought over by Marco-Pierre White. Subsequently sold on. They used to have an English Billiards table in the back, that nonsense with the pegs and the holes in the middle of the table. Actually quite a fun game. I met my 1st love in lavenham. 1988, I was 15. She was on a horse. I was from lochend and I'd never seen a horse. 

shaun.lawson
5 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

I think that hotel was bought over by Marco-Pierre White. Subsequently sold on. They used to have an English Billiards table in the back, that nonsense with the pegs and the holes in the middle of the table. Actually quite a fun game. I met my 1st love in lavenham. 1988, I was 15. She was on a horse. I was from lochend and I'd never seen a horse. 

Aw. :wub: She sounds like Lady Godiva! 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Aw. :wub: She sounds like Lady Godiva! 

Wasn't the only horse she was atop by the end of my trip...:whistling:

Rupert Pupkin

Another decent read is “The Autobiography of Jack the Ripper” by James Willoughby Carnac.

Alleged written confession(from Carnac) handed to a lawyer many years ago. Although it’s more than likely a work of fiction, it does give a new slant, in which it’s a book written from the Ripper’s perspective. It is quite gruesome in parts and some of the stuff is fairly accurate. It is a great insight into what may drive someone to such frenzied bloodlust.

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Bridge of Djoum

I'm surprised one of our..:conspiracy:lads hasn't flown in with some wild theory it was Robert Gascoyne-Cecil or William Gladstone.

Or aliens!

Lepidoptera.
On 5/2/2018 at 22:33, shaun.lawson said:

It rather sums up the problem, though, that this programme's chief suspect, Aaron Kosminski, may not even have been the "Kosminski" identified by police at the time at all.

Is there anything you don't know about anything?

Edited by Lepidoptera.

scott herbertson
On 5/3/2018 at 19:32, shaun.lawson said:

Exactly! And that's what the whole mini-industry is based on. 

Must admit to having read this thread today and wondered why I didn't do my PhD on this. It is the ultimate murder mystery, after all. 

I would disagree.

The Wallace case is more of a mystery I would say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KN4wabD-c8

Gorgiewave

A solved great serial killer case. I was expecting JKB to be on the case.

Stephane Grappelli
On 02/05/2018 at 21:10, New York Fleapit said:

For me, on a par with the JFK assassination. I've watched and read many pieces on this and I'm still intrigued.

Me too.  I used to devour any book or tv programme about it.  

The whole mystery fascinates me.

5 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

A solved great serial killer case. I was expecting JKB to be on the case.

I’ve been following that - absolutely fascinating case. They think he started with over 100 house breakings, then moved onto rape and committed 50 of these before moving onto rape and murder (I think the number is at least 12 or 13). 

• 8 months later...
On 03/05/2018 at 13:06, Lovecraft said:

They think there was more than 5.  Martha Tabram being at least one more, possibly the first murder he done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Tabram

He most probably also attacked several more people before actually killing too.

My guess is, he was probably arrested after the Kelly murder, but for something unrelated.  The escalation was getting out of control, just as with most serial killers.

Serial killers don't just stop.  They may have a break for a bit, but they never stop.

Joseph James DeAngelo stopped.

14 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

That's a strange one. Did he kill more than is thought, changing m.o, or was there more than one killer,  aligning theirs.

Did he not just win a court case? A very evil individual.

Fwiw, I don't think Jack the ripper existed in the sense of what think. A creation of fiction of fact.

Edited by ri Alban

On 11/01/2019 at 14:06, Gorgiewave said:

Quite a lot has still to come out about him I guess.

Would be very surprised if he completely stopped with a serious reason.

On 12/01/2019 at 04:46, ri Alban said:

That's a strange one. Did he kill more than is thought, changing m.o, or was there more than one killer,  aligning theirs.

Fwiw, I don't think Jack the ripper existed in the sense of what think. A creation of fiction of fact.

What do you mean?

On 14/01/2019 at 13:16, Lovecraft said:

Quite a lot has still to come out about him I guess.

Would be very surprised if he completely stopped with a serious reason.

According to the chat on the GSK / EARONS board, he realised he was now getting on (about 40), not as fit as he once was, and was spooked by the likelihood of being caught.

Apparently his comment on being arrested was that he "pushed him away", presumably referring to the area of his mind that led him to commit those crimes. Whether that means a mental illness was alleviated or he found some other way to control himself, I don't know.

The Zodiac Killer also seems to have stopped. No crimes after about 1972 and no Zodiac-related communications after about 1974, yet (assuming it was Richard Gaikowski) he lived until 2004.

Edited by Gorgiewave

1 minute ago, Gorgiewave said:

According to the chat on the GSK / EARONS board, he realised he was now getting on (about 40), not as fit as he once was, and was spooked by the likelihood of being caught.

Apparently his comment on being arrested was that he "pushed him away", presumably referring to the area of his mind that led him to commit those crimes. Whether that means a mental illness was alleviated or he found some other way to control himself, I don't know.

The Zodiac Killer also seems to have stopped. No murders after 1969 and no Zodiac-related communications after about 1974, yet (assuming it was Richard Gaikowski) he lived until 2004.

Don't think it was Gaikowski, but there was a decent break in between letters too between 9  March 22th 1971 and 20 January 29th 1974.

Just now, Lovecraft said:

Don't think it was Gaikowski, but there was a decent break in between letters too between 9  March 22th 1971 and 20 January 29th 1974.

Gaikowski was in a psychiatric hospital for most of that time.

Just now, Gorgiewave said:

Gaikowski was in a psychiatric hospital for most of that time.

Do the letters tie up with him getting out?

3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Do the letters tie up with him getting out?

I've been convinced by Tom Voigt's evidence:

"*On March 13, 1971 the Zodiac sent a letter to the Los Angeles Times. Coinciding closely with the mailing, Gaikowski was involuntarily committed to the Napa State Hospital after "going berzerk." He was then diagnosed with a mental illness and began treatment at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco. The Zodiac didn't write again for almost three years.

*When the Zodiac reemerged in 1974 with letters referring to recent movie releases, Gaikowski was operating a storefront theater in the Mission District of San Francisco. A film buff, Gaikowski eventually became involved with San Francisco's Roxie Theater"

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectGaikowski.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/zodiackillerfr/gyke-nails-in-the-coffin-f130/

2 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

I've been convinced by Tom Voigt's evidence:

"*On March 13, 1971 the Zodiac sent a letter to the Los Angeles Times. Coinciding closely with the mailing, Gaikowski was involuntarily committed to the Napa State Hospital after "going berzerk." He was then diagnosed with a mental illness and began treatment at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco. The Zodiac didn't write again for almost three years.

*When the Zodiac reemerged in 1974 with letters referring to recent movie releases, Gaikowski was operating a storefront theater in the Mission District of San Francisco. A film buff, Gaikowski eventually became involved with San Francisco's Roxie Theater"

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectGaikowski.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/zodiackillerfr/gyke-nails-in-the-coffin-f130/

Just started reading that before you posted it.

?

On 12/01/2019 at 04:46, ri Alban said:

It's believed he stopped in 1986 after approximately 11 years as a serial criminal.

I don't think he won a court case, no. He's in the jail, though, and I don't think he'll ever be out in any circumstances.

12 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

It's believed he stopped in 1986 after approximately 11 years as a serial criminal.

I don't think he won a court case, no. He's in the jail, though, and I don't think he'll ever be out in any circumstances.

?

• 2 months later...
scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

how do they know it's his DNA?

Presumably from known descendant relatives of his. However I find it hard to believe

I've downloaded the paper for later reading (the benefits of being a student).

I assume that they've tested direct descendants of all involved and matched it that way.

scott herbertson

There is very little evidence that the shawl was a ripper victim’s and I doubt the DNA tests are anything like as conclusive as the sensationalist press are suggesting

Anyone seriously interested could spend a year or two reading everything on this excellent site, starting with the Ripperologists’s view of the latest test

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/ripper-discussions/suspects/kosminski-aaron/703351-kosminski-shawl-dna-published-as-peer-reviewed-paper-in-journal-of-forensic-sciences

Ive read a fair bit on this topic and although I wouldn’t call myself an expert I doubt Kominski as the killer. A newer suspect called W H Bury is the current ‘best bet’ - a known violent murderer who was in the East End at the time. 

Edited by scott herbertson