***Official Rangers v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

While I agree with you that Michael Smith's best position is right back I have to be honest and say he is a player who we have used recently, in midfield, and he hasn't let us down. Indeed, when we also asked him to play a more central defensive role, versus Celtic at Tynecastle, again he rose to the occasion and put in a storming performance, probably my MOTM that day. I would tend to agree in terms of it would be a big bonus if we could play players in their best positions. Where I might differ from you above, in terms of playing midfielders in midfield, I think the problem is it is an area of the park where most know we have been weak for a fair bit time now. If, by using Michael Smith in there, we then discover that in Adao and him we have two who can comfortably cover the more defensive roles of midfield it means Levein will then have more cash available to focus on the sort of midfielder(s) we need to push us forward when the transfer window opens. And I don't think Smith will let us down if given a midfield role today at Ibrox.

This, he's a very good versatile player and we should be using him today, he'll be fine in CM, nothing fancy but gets the job done 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Spencer

• Hearts007

• letsalldothebeattie

We’ve won two away games in the league since October (Hamilton and County) - need a big performance today. 

Our last performance at Ibrox was dire, it was damage limitation, it was bad enough not trying to win but we looked like we were not trying and going through the motions. We have nothing to lose and must be more positive, and not just isolate Lafferty and try to defend with the rest of the team for 90 minutes, that is a lazy,easy way out approach. It is not just a case of attacking, it is working hard when not in possession with no slackers or '' hiders '', as usually happens when we visit Glasgow. There is something wrong if we cannot be organised and still have a go....... Milinkovic, Naismith supporting Lafferty.... 0-2.

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, plastic_bas said:

I consider myself a glass half full sort of chap but as certain as the sun will rise in the east today's score at ibrox will be:

Rangers 2

Heart of Midlothian 0

That's my prediction too, but I'm not without hope. The first goal is so so important. If we score first, there's every chance they'll collapse. But we need the ambition and unity of purpose to score that crucial first goal. 

18 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Our last performance at Ibrox was dire, it was damage limitation, it was bad enough not trying to win but we looked like we were not trying and going through the motions. We have nothing to lose and must be more positive, and not just isolate Lafferty and try to defend with the rest of the team for 90 minutes, that is a lazy,easy way out approach. It is not just a case of attacking, it is working hard when not in possession with no slackers or '' hiders '', as usually happens when we visit Glasgow. There is something wrong if we cannot be organised and still have a go....... Milinkovic, Naismith supporting Lafferty.... 0-2.

Agree and with an earlier poster who spoke about player responsibility.

If CL has worked hard this week at players combining and trying to work the ball on the deck, then you expect players to take that responsibility on the competitive field.

If it's shirked he has to start looking at who has the right character and who hasn't. (I know it's late in the season but its still the point).  If that's not the case then you start to wonder about the coaching and management's ways being imposed.

I doubt it's the latter but we'll see as we move forward.

kirkierobroy

Most weeks you have the opportunity to win a fitba match.

This week, you Jambos have a chance to do that, and also deal a possibly crucial blow in knocking down a poisonous force in Scottish fitba, society and culture. They are mince. I hope your admittedly cautious-by-nature manager will let your lads off the leash a bit today.

There's nothing better than watching your team win, and floods of inbreds in red/white/blue or green/white making for the exits. I hope you guys have that experience today.

rick witter
47 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Because he has been playing very well in midfield as folk who attend games will testify. Just my opinion but you are full of shite

I wasn’t at the Aberdeen game as I was on holiday but I was at Easter Road when he played central midfield and he was way out his depth. Let’s just see how he gets on if he plays there and I will be delighted if he plays well and we get a positive result. 

Yoh seem to to have an unhealthy obsession with talking about shite mate what’s that all about?? 

ford donald
6 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Please just have a go today, nothing to lose.

I really hope we attack today,no more boring tactics please,thats ok in europe.

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

That's my prediction too, but I'm not without hope. The first goal is so so important. If we score first, there's every chance they'll collapse. But we need the ambition and unity of purpose to score that crucial first goal. 

Agree Shaun, we get the first goal and their heads will go down and the crowd will turn on them.

2-0 Hearts.

1 hour ago, King prawn said:

We’ve won two away games in the league since October (Hamilton and County) - need a big performance today. 

Jeez, that’s some stat. Oh well, in Levein we trust. 

Edited by Ministry

i think andy walker must be ill. He has just said we have the players to capitalise on the troubles rangers have just now

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i think andy walker must be ill. He has just said we have the players to capitalise on the troubles rangers have just now

Sorry, I just fainted.

Dont need to go all out attack , We just need to go there and get tore into them , press them high and their defence will crumble . If we stand off and let them play we will lose . Im pretty sure Levein will press and get us the result . 0-3

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Its very rare that I agree with him I previously said Rangers are there for the taking. Lets do this.

johnnycummings

Every time we've had a go against the so called beetter teams (above us in the league) we've ripped them up for arse paper.

Have a go, get right in their faces, nothing to lose

What we must do is win the midfield battle early and get the ball into areas where lafferty can get the defenders on the turn. If we play everything in front of Rangers they'll cope. Celtic had them running towards their own goal all game last week and they were horrendous.

Too often away we just play in front of the opposition and no matter how bad they might be most teams can deal with that. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

I wasn’t at the Aberdeen game as I was on holiday but I was at Easter Road when he played central midfield and he was way out his depth. Let’s just see how he gets on if he plays there and I will be delighted if he plays well and we get a positive result. 

Yoh seem to to have an unhealthy obsession with talking about shite mate what’s that all about?? 

You either need to watch more closely or try to learn a bit more. Smith has barely put a foot wrong in the role and Hibs at Easter Road was nothing to do with his performance. In fact the opposite. He probably prevented worse.

gashauskis9
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You either need to watch more closely or try to learn a bit more. Smith has barely put a foot wrong in the role and Hibs at Easter Road was nothing to do with his performance. In fact the opposite. He probably prevented worse.

Would go so far as to say he was one of our better performers at ER.

Feeling this is going to be a real bruiser of a game, little to play for but 5th would give us more cash.

TBH just want everyone to come out unscathed.

Think it will be 2-2.

gashauskis9

Milinkovic not even on the bench.  Done with this psychological shit between him and CL, it’s the team and fans that end up suffering!

1 minute ago, kila said:

DbYTcInWAAAwh9R.jpg:large

Glad Godinho is in the side and his knee is better, he can give us that spark. Milinkovic injured?

Guess it was a little too early for Adao to play the 90.

Thought Police
1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Milinkovic not even on the bench.  Done with this psychological shit between him and CL, it’s the team and fans that end up suffering!

Maybe cause he’s injured? Settle down.

1 minute ago, Koolkeith said:

Assume Milinkovic is having trouble with his knee?

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

gashauskis9
Just now, MaskedMarauder said:

Skinny injured. Never travelled with the team yesterday. 

I’ll take back my previous post then.  Didn’t see his injury mentioned anywhere so assumed CL was playing hard ball again.

2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Forgot Levein was ex-CIA, could just be a niggle!

Thought Police
1 minute ago, DVB said:

We seem to be missing a midfield

The same midfield that beat Aberdeen very comfortably, with just Milinkovich missing.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, DVB said:

We seem to be missing a midfield

It's the same midfield, bar Amankwaa, that tore aberdeen a new one

Settle

jambo-fletch

Anyone want to take a guess at who will be playing where?:laugh:difficult to guess the formation with that lineup

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

Fair enough if you didn't actually watch the games that make a mockery of your point.  Probably best not to try and make an argument based on a false assumption though. Would also say that Smith's performance at Fester was a positive but that is only IMO.

And you are probably right, I shouldn't really need to call out shite when I hear it. Others can see it for themselves without me stating the obvious.

7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Dearie me ?

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

The same midfield that beat Aberdeen very comfortably, with just Milinkovich missing.

Just the guy who set one up and scored that’s missing.  I’m not sharing the same optimism folk have for Anankwaa.  Seen absolutely feck all from him so far.

Murty will be scratching his head methinks 

3 centre backs 

3 right backs

a centre mid

a winger

and 2 forwards

Edited by King prawn

gashauskis9
Just now, GavK1012 said:

Dearie me ?

Didn’t realise he was injured chief.  Tbf, he’s been fit and left out by CL before so it’s an easy assumption to make.

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, jambo-fletch said:

Anyone want to take a guess at who will be playing where?:laugh:difficult to guess the formation with that lineup

3-6-1 I think. Hope Naismith, Cowie and Amankwaa are all on the front foot.

9 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

He's injured...chill man!

HeartofHartley

6 defenders.....

Even Smith being cm he's a defensive minded player.

And who said CL wasn't predictable? 

4 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

that will be the milinkovic that scored one and made the other. week midfield without him