***Official Rangers v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Pretty much concur with this. 

Regarding your last sentence.

At the risk of incurring some wrath on here, Hibs have won at Ibrox and drawn at Parkhead by having a go. They will probably lose McGinn and possibly McGeoch which will hinder them, unless Lennon signs quality replacements. They also have a manager who has instilled a positive mentality to their team. 

Our signings and the manager's approach will be key to how we do next season, however I can see why people say that he cannot or will not change his cautious approach to away games. 

More of the same next season and Budge will have a major decision on her plate. 

I live in hope.

This sums it up for me completely

By all accounts that was a horrific performance yesterday  

Whenever I recall us being at our best and playing an exciting brand of football - We had guys like Mccann/Juanjo/Skacel/Miko/Cesy on the wings , or creative box to box midfielders Hartley/Cameron/Fulton etc , Guys that would make something happen, do something out of the ordinary - That was when we attacked with skill and pace - That confidence also spread through the team where I remember actual sides taking the park and shitting themselves before the games even kicked off against us - because they knew we could hurt them 

That's no reason to say we cant get back to that pressing attacking style or sitting in on the counter and attacking but this summer probably out of every summer that we have ever had is probably the most important on paper - We have to get this type of player into the club and quickly  - We have guys that will score and we have guys who will defend but we need the above type of player who helps and gives the strikers an outlet up front and someone to lay off the ball too - CL mentioned possession being an issue and this is a key problem that we have at the moment minus these types of player in our Team  

Whenever we attack and press we don't have the type of player that's quick enough and has the necessary vision to get in behind defenders, out wide and also through the middle - drawing defenders and creating space or playing the through ball - This is the same when we sit in, again, the lack of pace and necessary creativity to get in behind - This is whats killing us at the moment - We are far too one dimensional in our play and other teams have cotton on to this fact and are playing to exploit the weakness that we have 

I'll probably get shot down for saying this but trying to think logically I still think giving CL the summer is the right thing to do so he gets these players in, he has said the same himself and identified what is probably the blatantly obvious to everyone on this board and I still think that if he brings in pace and creativity we could be a different animal next season 

However my one note of caution/concern is this and what I would say to CL - Sometimes these types of player wont fit into the defensive side of things IE, what Craig alluded to with Jamie Walker and laterally Milinkovic - He wasn't happy with them not tracking back, specifically Milinkovic being out of position and Walker stating that he had to work hard on the defensive side of his game - Hopefully Craig realise's that he is better to bring these types into the team and let them play rather than structure themselves too much with the defensive side of things - You sometimes have to just let these players go and do their own thing, They aren't necessarily equipped to be trained in defensive positioning and this is where the Manager's risk factor kicks in, Does he train them in a futile task with no real reward or let them go and do what they are good at. Inveriably, these players will leave gaps but if they are attacking or countering then they can force the opposition to retract and therefore lessen the opportunity for the opposition to exploit the gaps they leave behind. We aren't in the financial market for those that do both . I do hope Craig will reach the same conclusion in respect of this and adjust the principle of the attacking roles accordingly and to suit

Respect goes out to those who made the trip over yesterday 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Spencer

• Hearts007

• letsalldothebeattie

Surely people get bored of writing “the x transfer window is gonna be huge”. We have said the same thing now for what, 4 transfer windows? We haven’t had a good transfer window since the first one under Robbie that set us up for the championship. For next season, what do you reckon is changing? The style of play? The tactics? Are we losing so easily away from home because the players can’t execute what the manager asks them too? We have signed two players for next season, 2 strikers who don’t score goals, who are tall and strong. Like Conor Sammon, who never worked out, like Cole stockton, who never worked out. So I don’t see us drastically changing our formation or tactics. The biggest problem area for us is the midfield, the fact that we have signed two big target men makes me think that we aren’t going to bring in a bustling box to box midfielder that we are crying out for. If we went to Ibrox yesterday and got beat but had a go then fair play. The fact that we went to a Ibrox to “frustrate them” ie get behind the ball and let them run out of ideas tells you everything we need to know about how next season is gonna go and the mind set we will have. Lennon, for example, would’ve went to Ibrox to win, not draw, win. He’d have set his team up to get on the ball and attack a fragile Rangers. Celtic literally showed us a week ago how to hurt that Rangers side, get down their flanks and expose their poor runners in windass, candias etc. We done none of that. Our expectations are getting lower and lower. When we came up to he premier league we talked about building to challenge 2nd potentially win the league, now we are labelling and calling ourself “a club with top 4 ambitions”. Top 4 in the Scottish Premier League, behind Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs or Killie. Lennon came up and said “I’ve got the 2nd best side in the league” he’s 4 games away from proving it. This “we almost died” mentality has clouded our ambitions and now we are just happy to be involved. 

Levein's more concerned about not conceding,  than trying to win the game, there lies the problem.

Tactics are all wrong, he can change the players all he wants, the tactics will stay the same,imo

next season? another poor affair with Levein in charge