• Footballfirst

• davemclaren

• RobboM

• systemx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, systemx said:

B jesus christ thats a cracker! Lithgae struck lucky in C

Nae Boness games though, which is bad news for both clubs and the fans. 

hectornicol
On 09/04/2018 at 14:09, Footballfirst said:

The SJFA conducted a survey of clubs recently and the majority view was to seek discussions with the SFA about joining the pyramid.

Clubs who I believe have expressed an interest in joining the "senior" ranks include

Super league - Bonnyrigg, Hill of Beath, Dundonald , Camelon

Premier - Blackburn, Musselburgh, Haddington, Tranent and Dalkeith

South - Edinburgh Utd, Easthouses and Crossgates

West - Clydebank, Dunipace

Amateur - Inverkeithing (Hilfield Swifts)

I was at the Fife and Lothians cup which unfortunately Rose beat the Star 5-1 afterwards i was talking to friends from both sides and heavily involved with their clubs and this was a complete no brainer for the clubs in the east. They get more money from the SFA than the Juniors plus automatic entry to the Scottish Cup and they will be able to generate more income through sponsorship. Personally I think it is a great thing 

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, hectornicol said:

I was at the Fife and Lothians cup which unfortunately Rose beat the Star 5-1 afterwards i was talking to friends from both sides and heavily involved with their clubs and this was a complete no brainer for the clubs in the east. They get more money from the SFA than the Juniors plus automatic entry to the Scottish Cup and they will be able to generate more income through sponsorship. Personally I think it is a great thing 

Kelty paved the way and showed what was possible. (but with only one play-off place to the LL currently available a lot of teams might be disappointed in future years)

Once some of the bigger teams like Bonnyrigg committed along with a lot of the Edinburgh and East Lothian sides, there was a critical mass and teams were almost forced into moving with the tide.  I know that Penicuik, for example, was initially against moving, but when they realised that they would have no derby games against Bonnyrigg and Nitten, then they felt they had to go, so applied during the extension period.

I agree that it is a good thing but the promotion / relegation opportunities has to be enhanced to make it a true pyramid, rather than an hour glass.

The LL has 16 clubs, with only two relegated, or as this season only one (dependent on the licence status of the prospective promoted side).  I would relegate two automatically with a third into a play-off with the EOS 3rd to 5th sides (the SoS  league is also a consideration, but I think they will now be well below the standard of the top EoS sides). 

The EOS needs to create a single division at Tier 6, with perhaps two regionalised leagues at Tier 7.  The SoS could probably fit in at Tier 7 too.  The big uncertainty is whether or not a WoS league is established to accommodate the West Junior sides who want to join.  Again you would have issues with promotion / relegation / play-offs. 

The Highland league is currently rated as the equivalent of the LL, but there is a huge disparity between the best and worst sides.  I don't think that will be sustainable in the long term, leaving a question on whether Tier 5 (HL & LL) should be a national league.

BTW, I was also at the Rose v Nitten game.  It was great to see a four figure crowd there.  Whether that can be sustained in an EoS set up, I'm not so sure, unless there is a relatively quick transition that facilitates all sides finding their true level. The likes of Vale of Leithen, Edusport, Gretna, Civil Service and the Universities will probably be shown to be ranked at least one league higher than their ability over the course of next season.

letsalldothebeattie

Can’t see it being too long before they expand the Lowland league again. Currently at 16 surely going to a league of 20 or even 24 like the Championship etc down south have would make things better. Opportunity to expand this and have an extra couple of relegation places as well could make pathway better for EoS & SoS league teams 

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Can’t see it being too long before they expand the Lowland league again. Currently at 16 surely going to a league of 20 or even 24 like the Championship etc down south have would make things better. Opportunity to expand this and have an extra couple of relegation places as well could make pathway better for EoS & SoS league teams 

We don't have the weather to fit in the amount of fixtures your league sizes suggested.

T is possibly too many cups played at that level, that could be limited to free up weeks.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's a good summary from Bonnyrigg of how the EOSL conferences draw worked out and also confirms that rhe draws for various cup competitions were also made on the same night .

http://www.bonnyriggrosefc.co.uk/teams/118321/news/east-of-scotland-league-update-2313808.html

Will be interesting to see how this all shapes up. 

letsalldothebeattie

Here's a good summary from Bonnyrigg of how the EOSL conferences draw worked out and also confirms that rhe draws for various cup competitions were also made on the same night .

http://www.bonnyriggrosefc.co.uk/teams/118321/news/east-of-scotland-league-update-2313808.html

Just seen this. Great to see a good in depth explanation of everything 

6 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Just seen this. Great to see a good in depth explanation of everything 

Absolutely. The planning, transparency and communication so far in the EoS is night and day compared to the East Juniors.

Footballfirst

What's left of East Juniors going to 3 leagues of 12

downfield fc @DownfieldFc

After tonight’s meeting it’s three leagues of 12 Super North and South Clubs in each league will be adopted at next weeks AGM if it’s done on ranking positions ( current league positions ) we will be in the Super League but still to be adopted and ratified at the AGM

• 4 weeks later...
Footballfirst

Looks like there is a possibility of the Juniors being incorporated into the pyramid for season 2019/20

image.png.e0957e28072bf436d98003f1697301ae.png

• 4 weeks later...
Fxxx the SPFL

Kelly Hearts won their Lowland league game 6-0 against Whitehill tonight potential league winners this season possibly 

Hungry hippo
32 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Kelly Hearts won their Lowland league game 6-0 against Whitehill tonight potential league winners this season possibly 

Would certainly expect them to be right up there although they drew with Dalbeattie Star in their first game on Saturday.

Edited by Hungry hippo

44 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Watched Tranent hammer them in a friendly last week 

Tranent beat Hawick RA 6-1 in Saturday how it wasn't double figures is beyond me.The ex junior teams will destroy most of the Lowland and EoS teams

Fxxx the SPFL
8 minutes ago, systemx said:

Watched Tranent hammer them in a friendly last week 

Tranent beat Hawick RA 6-1 in Saturday how it wasn't double figures is beyond me.The ex junior teams will destroy most of the Lowland and EoS teams

Unfortunately that will be the case I always hoped that one day Gala Fairydean would achieve league status knocked back three times and definitely no chance now in the pyramid system. Borders Region is the only area in Scotland that doesn't have a professional football club. 

I am in favour of the pyramid system just have a soft spot for the Dean having previously lived there for 25 years

Footballfirst

There have been a couple of surprises in games between the ex junior sides. Linlithgow Rose drew 0-0 at Crossgates on Saturday.  Crossgates then travelled to Penicuik tonight and drew 1-1. The Fife side was two divisions below their opponents in the junior ranks.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

I would have East Kilbride as favourites this season. I believe they have brought in half a dozen ex SPFL players for this season.

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I would have East Kilbride as favourites this season. I believe they have brought in half a dozen ex SPFL players for this season.

Worth a wee bet then FF thanks for all your updates on the youth lads. Bumped into an ex work colleague of mine Callum Robertson he was singing your praises.

Edited by Ray has bus pass hooray

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Worth a wee bet then FF thanks for all your updates on the youth lads. Bumped into an ex work colleague of mine Callum Robertson he was singing your praises.

I got to know Calum through HYDC. It's a pity that he was left with little option but disband it. He is probably as passionate about youth development as anyone.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the qualifying leagues taking place in EoS just now? Is it just a fairer way of dividing teams into cup competitions?

letsalldothebeattie
12 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

No disrespect to likes of Spartans or East Kilbride but Kelty should walk the Lowland and then subsequently win the play offs against Highland & League 2 teams. 

maroonexile
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Got money from some businessmen from East Kilbride, if you catch my drift.

maroonexile
17 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

No disrespect to likes of Spartans or East Kilbride but Kelty should walk the Lowland and then subsequently win the play offs against Highland & League 2 teams. 

I would totally disagree with this having watched 1 or 2 LL games over the last 2 seasons.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the qualifying leagues taking place in EoS just now? Is it just a fairer way of dividing teams into cup competitions?

It's the EOSFL's League cup sections. It will progress to a knockout with the group winners and second place sides.

12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There have been a couple of surprises in games between the ex junior sides. Linlithgow Rose drew 0-0 at Crossgates on Saturday.  Crossgates then travelled to Penicuik tonight and drew 1-1. The Fife side was two divisions below their opponents in the junior ranks.

Early days FF you will see the real Rose when the league fixtures begin. Invariably junior players are missing at this time of year due to holidays given they were still playing games in June.

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Early days FF you will see the real Rose when the league fixtures begin. Invariably junior players are missing at this time of year due to holidays given they were still playing games in June.

The real Rose play in Bonnyrigg. ?

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The real Rose play in Bonnyrigg. ?

Didn't they used to be bonyrigg rose athletic back in the day? Linlithgow Rose have always been called the Rose.

One of the best remaining junior sides Armadale Thistle won their first trophy of season last night pumping local rivals Whitburn in the process ? 

FB_IMG_1533122667920.jpg

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Think you will be surprised. They should be competing with EK and Spartans to win the league but they won't walk it. Even if they do win it Cove are stronger IMO then any of the Lowland teams at present. It's been demonstrated since the playoffs were introduced that beating League 2 team is vdry tough.

The fact that Kelty had such tight battles against HLTV (inc cups) last year further demonstrates this.

I should add that I'm all for the former Junior teams progressing and can't wait for lots more of them to make it to tier 5. I really think more needs to be done to accelerate their progression as there is some dross in the bottom half of the Lowland and plenty quality in EoS that at present may take ages to reach the level reflecting the teams' ability.

It's the EOSFL's League cup sections. It will progress to a knockout with the group winners and second place sides.

Ah makes sense! Cheers FF.

davemclaren
59 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Didn't they used to be bonyrigg rose athletic back in the day? Linlithgow Rose have always been called the Rose.

Always been Bonnyrigg Rose AFC. ?

57 minutes ago, Rally200 said:

One of the best remaining junior sides Armadale Thistle won their first trophy of season last night pumping local rivals Whitburn in the process ? 

FB_IMG_1533122667920.jpg

I play for the Dale ?? good game some decent football on show as opposed to the other three friendlys 

2 hours ago, Bking9 said:

I play for the Dale ?? good game some decent football on show as opposed to the other three friendlys 

Agree. Team was playing well last season so was looking forward to the new season until the last score ? but more hopeful now after last night.

Usually make the games if they don't clash with Hearts home games will tone down the abuse now I know your   a Jambo ?

Edited by Rally200

1 hour ago, Rally200 said:

Agree. Team was playing well last season so was looking forward to the new season until the last score ? but more hopeful now after last night.

Usually make the games if they don't clash with Hearts home games will tone down the abuse now I know your   a Jambo ?

? I try and get tickets for Sunday games and midweek games ect and very much make it when i don't have football on a Saturday. 

Haa! There's not many of us jambos that play with the Dale 1 or 2 maybe. 

Some of the shouts I hear from the stands are class ? tend to have a wee chuckle to myself on the pitch.

1 - 8 Arniston comeback on (pen). Blackie(2 year deal) in midfield he strolled through games against Whitehill and Hawick To be fair Arniston manger walked out with all the players pre-season they were hammered by Blackburn on Saturday

Edited by systemx

22 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Unfortunately that will be the case I always hoped that one day Gala Fairydean would achieve league status knocked back three times and definitely no chance now in the pyramid system. Borders Region is the only area in Scotland that doesn't have a professional football club. 

I am in favour of the pyramid system just have a soft spot for the Dean having previously lived there for 25 years

Vale of Leithen beat Fairydean 4 - 2 on Tuesday night

:verysmug:

Fxxx the SPFL
32 minutes ago, systemx said:

Ft Arniston 1 (pen) Tranent 14

Riordan playing for Tranent is he not.

21 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Riordan playing for Tranent is he not.

No Ian Black is though

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, systemx said:

Ft Arniston 1 (pen) Tranent 14

Not as bad as Fort William in the North of Scotland cup last night. They lost 16-0 to ICT.