***The Official Dundee V Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

Bridge of Djoum

Does anyone actually know what the 5 year plan was? Perhaps it was focussed on the infrastructure of the club, in which case we are probably on target. Academy revamped, new stand built, new hybrid pitch being laid, Gorgie suite refurbished, finally an anti slip surface in the Wheatfield concourse, and no doubt lots of other improvements.

The playing side is a shambles though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We are indeed in transition but that doesn't tell the whole story.  We have been afflicted with injuries, some bad ones, which restricts team selection and format.

Two of our most experienced MFs (Djoum, Prince) are out while at FB our two fastest players (Brandon, Mitchell) seriously reduce pace options particularly in a 3-5-2 set up.

M. Smith also called off yesterday and his versatility at FB, CD and MF can be particularly helpful.

I do not wish to condone the quality of football we have played but with a third of the squad missing I think we need some perspective.

We have been spectacularly unlucky with the left-back situation,i has tobe said.

But would you want to line up on the opening day of next season with a central midfield of Djoum and Prince? Both prime examples of how a player's reputation increases in correlation to the amount of time injured, because no two players were criticised more for under-achieving this season.

2 hours ago, Juanjo15 said:

We’re a team in transition things will improve.  Seriously the amount of spitting the dummies out after yesterday is mental.  

We have improved but we were at such a low ebb at the end of Cathro's time that that would have been hard not to achieve.

People are spitting the dummy because since beating Hibs there have been very few highlights of note. Even a decent performance against Killie felt like a defeat after missing a last minute penalty.

Walking away from the game yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I started to wonder what the point of going to away games was.

Why are we such a different proposition away from home compared to performances at Tynecastle?

Obviously being away I don't expect us to win all the time but is it to much to ask for a team that looks like it gives a shit?

Relegation season we weren't very good but the lads gave their all and that I could support. The present team are just not playing to their potential away from home and that I can not accept.

Glamorgan Jambo

Listening to Levein's comments after the game he bemoaned, not for the first time, the lack of chances that were taken. I'm guessing he was thinking of Lafferty's miss right in front of the keeper as well as the penalty that wasn't given. I'm fairly sure he's not a huge fan of Lafferty (neither am I to be honest) however I think he's missing the point which is the sheer lack of chances created by the side especially away from home. He needs to seriously rethink how he sets us up away from home as we're lucky to create enough chances to score once meaning the opposition only have to score once to get at least a point (and deny us two further points).

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I love the fact nobody really knows what the much-quoted 5-Year Plan is !

:laugh:

I think this is about as much as we were told about the 5 year plan. I suppose if you keep it within the Board Members and don't make it public then it's only them that know if it is on target or failing.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/3671

maroonedinbriz

We really are in a sad place right now. CL has come in as an emergency manager. The nonsense telling supporters that the 'ideal choice was right in front of us all the time' made me cringe and is the first time I got the impression AB thought the fans had zips up the back of their heads. Problem is, as a football manager, CL has always been overly cautious. His first time with us, his spell with Scotland and philosophy now confirm this. I can't see him changing now. He is however AB's bright eyed boy.Therefore, there is no chance of his moving on (or back to the director football role) any time soon. So without a ringing endorsement, I'll give him the close season and hope results (especially away from home) improve at the start of the new season. I don't expect to be entertained either way.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, maroonedinbriz said:

We really are in a sad place right now. CL has come in as an emergency manager. The nonsense telling supporters that the 'ideal choice was right in front of us all the time' made me cringe and is the first time I got the impression AB thought the fans had zips up the back of their heads. Problem is, as a football manager, CL has always been overly cautious. His first time with us, his spell with Scotland and philosophy now confirm this. I can't see him changing now. He is however AB's bright eyed boy.Therefore, there is no chance of his moving on (or back to the director football role) any time soon. So without a ringing endorsement, I'll give him the close season and hope results (especially away from home) improve at the start of the new season. I don't expect to be entertained either way.

I think he was perfectly entitled to be cautious and pragmatic for a while, to steady the ship that Cathro had directed headlong into an iceberg, but it then needed him to show more confidence in the attacking abilities open to him as that would have helped us push close to the teams above us. Draws are no good to us right now.

2 hours ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Correct. When’s the last time we challenged for trophies but didn’t win? League Cup defeat to St Mirren 2013? In my lifetime apart from winning cups we’ve rarely even got to a semi? You’re perhaps a little older than me so you could enlighten me. I’m not having a go. 

I've seen too many bad times in my life following Hearts and it's all been down to mismanagement of the team. I've lived through 2 league titles, 4 Scottish Cup wins, 4 League Cups plus championship then 1st division titles. I want our team to have  chance of challenging for honours with a management team that our players and fans have total confidence in. A manager who is one of the best in Scotland who has Tynecastle buzzing again not depressing or driving fans away with dire negative unimaginative football tactics.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

We have been spectacularly unlucky with the left-back situation,i has tobe said.

But would you want to line up on the opening day of next season with a central midfield of Djoum and Prince? Both prime examples of how a player's reputation increases in correlation to the amount of time injured, because no two players were criticised more for under-achieving this season.

Ideally I wouldn't and I'd be surprised if that were to happen but we are where are just now.  Prince and Djoum were experienced alternatives to the likes of Moore, McDonald and Cochrane who at times just had to play whether they were ready or not. 

Prince could well be gone anyway next season but he can fill in eg in CD in times of need and that cannot be underestimated.  Realistically he's now too slow for MF and probably past his best.  Djoum is a big miss when he can be bothered and a liability when he can't.  If he's still here next season I hope he will show more effort and consistency or his dream of playing in England will be just that - a dream.

8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I've seen too many bad times in my life following Hearts and it's all been down to mismanagement of the team. I've lived through 2 league titles, 4 Scottish Cup wins, 4 League Cups plus championship then 1st division titles. I want our team to have  chance of challenging for honours with a management team that our players and fans have total confidence in. A manager who is one of the best in Scotland who has Tynecastle buzzing again not depressing or driving fans away with dire negative unimaginative football tactics.

Financial mismanagement by boards in the past. Anyway league titles are now virtually not happening. The gap between top teams and the rest financially is too great and this is detrimental to football for fans in many countries. Some of out times challenging are what drove us into a level of debt that almost finished us and neither Ann Budge or the FOH will go down that route again. It is however agreed by most that we deserve a better product than the last couple of seasons.

21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

We do have one of the top managers and arguably the best in Scotland. It’s a shame you can’t grasp that it takes time to change a squad and understand that your rumblings are uncalled for. If we don’t see further improvement after this summer transfer window then fair enough have a moan.  

Admit it.... your acting a bit like Victor Meldrew.

No evidence to suggest fans are not renewing season tickets in any large numbers.

If anything the evidence suggests that CL has the confidence of the vast majority of fans and that only a small vocal minority don’t support him.

Left ORIAM earlier today and had a chat with someone close to Craig before going. Said he is just as frustrated as the fans but simply doesn’t have the players to do what he wants right now. Things are on the move to change that and the Summer will hopefully be a very exciting time for us fans .... 

13 minutes ago, McCrae said:

We do have one of the top managers and arguably the best in Scotland. It’s a shame you can’t grasp that it takes time to change a squad and understand that your rumblings are uncalled for. If we don’t see further improvement after this summer transfer window then fair enough have a moan.  

Admit it.... your acting a bit like Victor Meldrew.

No evidence to suggest fans are not renewing season tickets in any large numbers.

If anything the evidence suggests that CL has the confidence of the vast majority of fans and that only a small vocal minority don’t support him.

I don't believe it !!

I've never said fans won't renew their season tickets although most of my mates, co workers & family are but not all. Levein isn't anywhere near being a top manager in Scotland you really are in love with the guy. Anyone got a cold bucket of water.

17 minutes ago, Jamos said:

Left ORIAM earlier today and had a chat with someone close to Craig before going. Said he is just as frustrated as the fans but simply doesn’t have the players to do what he wants right now. Things are on the move to change that and the Summer will hopefully be a very exciting time for us fans .... 

What exactly does he want to do and how many players will he have to go through before he achieves that?

Big Slim Stylee
11 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I don't believe it !!

I've never said fans won't renew their season tickets although most of my mates, co workers & family are but not all. Levein isn't anywhere near being a top manager in Scotland you really are in love with the guy. Anyone got a cold bucket of water.

That's just not true. You moaned about Robbie, you moaned about Cathro - when you absolutely stated you and a dozen or so wouldn't be renewing. Now you're moaning at Levein. You're just a moaney thing, tbh.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Djoum I would be ok with if he has the players around him as hes not in any way defenaively capable. Prince no. I think hes a squad player with limited ability now but who can be relied upon in most situations to do simple things 

7 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

That's just not true. You moaned about Robbie, you moaned about Cathro - when you absolutely stated you and a dozen or so wouldn't be renewing. Now you're moaning at Levein. You're just a moaney thing, tbh.

I said because of Cathro the fans i know didn't renew until Cathro was sacked. What was it 13 or something like that. I only know 3 so far who aren't renewing because of Levein's incompetence and thats the first time i've said this as far as i can remember. So far that is but none of my family, co workers or mates have renew yet as far a i know.

Do i moan about the new stand, the ticket office, the shop, big hearts, the academy hospitality...........no !

I hate and can't abide Hearts fc underperforming because of incompetence. Can  you understand that my wee pal.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Are you serious, bad luck my a**e, we are unbalanced on the left side for a reason... we have played right footed players at left back since IC (Mitchell being the exception) so we have no natural cover in that area. That is down to IC and particularly CL!!

23 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

All true tbh.

Just now, Morgan said:

All true tbh.

I don't believe it. Morgan sideing with BSS. I'm in bits.

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Are you serious, bad luck my a**e, we are unbalanced on the left side for a reason... we have played right footed players at left back since IC (Mitchell being the exception) so we have no natural cover in that area. That is down to IC and particularly CL!!

It was bad luck in the sense that Levein appeared to have addressed the left back position with Smith-Brown...who then got injured...and then he got Mitchell in...who then got injured. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

It was bad luck in the sense that Levein appeared to have addressed the left back position with Smith-Brown...who then got injured...and then he got Mitchell in...who then got injured. 

That's what I thought you meant in the first place. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

That's what I thought you meant in the first place. :thumbsup:

We do not have a left back on a contract, unbelievable!!! IC, CL and JM have got away with murder at the club. 

4 hours ago, mitch41 said:

I don't believe it !!

I believe in giving the guy a chance. It’s far too early to call for a change.  Things are getting better, but we have a long way to go. If this time next year we are not seeing any further progress change will almost certain take place.

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

We do not have a left back on a contract, unbelievable!!! IC, CL and JM have got away with murder at the club. 

I know what you meant as well. 

Just as well Lafferty keeps himself fit !

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

I believe in giving the guy a chance. It’s far too early to call for a change.  Things are getting better, but we have a long way to go. If this time next year we are not seeing any further progress change will almost certain take place.

This time next year.....your having a laugh. Are things getting better, we will scrape into the top 6 just after being told the team will improve after the january window......it didn't. 

7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

This time next year.....your having a laugh. Are things getting better, we will scrape into the top 6 just after being told the team will improve after the january window......it didn't. 

Until CL has had a summer transfer window to make the changes he feels are required you can’t really judge him.  

10 hours ago, McCrae said:

Until CL has had a summer transfer window to make the changes he feels are required you can’t really judge him.  

Levein lovers were saying this in November about the January window.

20 hours ago, McCrae said:

Giving it to next year is far too long in this league. Hearts should be able to beat anyone on their day.

But we don't i mean Dundee are crap and we scrape a draw come on. 

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Giving it to next year is far too long in this league. Hearts should be able to beat anyone on their day.

But we don't i mean Dundee are crap and we scrape a draw come on. 

You have unrealistic time frames. 

37 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Levein lovers were saying this in November about the January window.

Come on .. you are at it. You know that the most business never takes place in January. The summer window is time key changes are made.

30 minutes ago, McCrae said:

You have unrealistic time frames. 

A football person can tell Levein hasn't got it to be Hearts manager. At times you can tell during a game he's out if his depth and his team selections, tactics makes Hearts dire.

27 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Come on .. you are at it. You know that the most business never takes place in January. The summer window is time key changes are made.

I never said it his fan club did.

20 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

A football person can tell Levein hasn't got it to be Hearts manager. At times you can tell during a game he's out if his depth and his team selections, tactics makes Hearts dire.

Why don’t you apply for his job.

Geoff Kilpatrick
On 03/04/2018 at 02:47, bobskeldon said:

Neilson started it by signing Rherras. Why did you leave him out?

20 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Neilson started it by signing Rherras. Why did you leave him out?

Because at least he signed a left footed full back in Adam Eckersley. However, I would agree that signing Rherras

was the beginning of our reluctance to ensure that the side was balanced!

Archived