Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

8 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Just a rumour I had heard bud. 

Which direction? 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Absolute Scenes

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

We have Levein Macphee Daly Fox Gallagher and a fitness coach as well as Berra Cowie Lafferty and possibly Naismith as senior players in the dressing room.We need to recruit players who will compete for places not to be back up.Its beginning to look as though there is another form of experimenting going on if Hughes and Maclean sign.

In the 80s Macdonald and Jardine were player managers.Johnston Bone and Park made many appearances for the club.

MacDonald signed as a player then became manager but kept playing for another 4 years while sandy signed at 34 and played for 4 years before becoming co manager, winning the writers' player of the year at 37.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Morgan01 said:

Cant wait to hear the reasons behind Buaben getting his new deal. That's coming. Are we all in agreement that shouldn't be happening or will the experience excuse come out again.

It would be great to have just 11 players. Squad player 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Lafferty cant be any sort of role model next season if he is no longer with us. 

Getting big money for him? Any club in mind 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

So Buaben deal

Yes or No

Not squad player excuse, would you give him a deal?

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Sir Gio said:

He is ponderous in possession, slow and prone to horror shows. However, he is a Levein man, like Daly and Cathro, and for CL that loyalty fostered at Dundee Utd trumps attributes like pace, creativity and an ability to think for yourself. As long as you stick to the management plan, you're in. When you look at some of the players forced out of the door over the last few years, retaining Buaben would be unbelievable. No evidence as yet that it will happen but nothing about our club surprises me any more.

That-Day-In-May

Any news on Liam Smith? Will be interesting to see what happens with RB next year with M. Smith, Godinho and L. Smith. I'd like to see Godinho going out on loan and keeping both the Smiths (both very charming men...), but preseason will reveal all. Most of mates are St Mirren fans (boke) and in completely irrelevant news, David Goodwillie has supposedly agreed a deal to join them next year. 

I don't think anyone in their right mind can justify this signing, if this sets the tone for the standard of player we are going to be bringing in it's very worrying.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He is ponderous in possession, slow and prone to horror shows. However, he is a Levein man, like Daly and Cathro, and for CL that loyalty fostered at Dundee Utd trumps attributes like pace, creativity and an ability to think for yourself. As long as you stick to the management plan, you're in. When you look at some of the players forced out of the door over the last few years, retaining Buaben would be unbelievable. No evidence as yet that it will happen but nothing about our club surprises me any more.

Agree with all of that to be honest.

Finlay James
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What a load of absolute nonsense, except your first sentence

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

This ^^^

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

What a load of absolute nonsense, except your first sentence

That's the important point Finlay. I'm glad we agree. The rest of my post is my take on why he would possibly be given a contract  extension.  That bit of course, is hard to prove. 

Finlay James
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's the important point Finlay. I'm glad we agree. The rest of my post is my take on why he would possibly be given a contract  extension.  That bit of course, is hard to prove. 

Hes murder.

I have it on fairly good authority that the club have been trying to shift him for a while but he's knocked back moves or we've held onto him because of injuries etc.  he's essentially a squad filler but not a very effective one.

I'll be delighted to see the back of him, Martin, Sammon.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Not everything in football has changed though, it's not like youngsters just gain experience and wisdom by osmosis these days, and that's before you take into account how much better footballers are able to look after themselves now with our more advanced understanding of nutrition, the human body, training etc etc

We have several coaches already. We need players and players who can play for 90 minutes and also have the experience as I mentioned we need a lot more in the 24 to 30 bracket. 

I think Levein sees his task as bringing through youngsters to sell on that’s what give him a buzz he is building a team to supplement this plan. Yeh he might get a buzz if we sell Cochrane for 500k but week in and week out we will be struggling to make Top 6 as youngsters are inconsistent and the majority of people in the mid to late 30s injure easily. We need a settled team but like I said I am hoping that I am wrong. 

We we are not Dundee United bigger things are expected by our fanbase. We want to discuss derby wins, European trips and cup runs not that we once had the Scottish Messi. 

What happens when we have an away game against Killie or Hamilton, he's the only available  striker and can't play because of his chocolate knees? Give big Daly a shout?

1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

What happens when we have an away game against Killie or Hamilton, he's the only available  striker and can't play because of his chocolate knees? Give big Daly a shout?

If yer Auntie had baws to the extreme  and then some

1 minute ago, jambo1961 said:

If yer Auntie had baws to the extreme  and then some

The point is he's an injury prone old man with his best days well and truly behind him, it's a joke that this is actually real.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Rents said:

We have several coaches already. We need players and players who can play for 90 minutes and also have the experience as I mentioned we need a lot more in the 24 to 30 bracket. 

I think Levein sees his task as bringing through youngsters to sell on that’s what give him a buzz he is building a team to supplement this plan. Yeh he might get a buzz if we sell Cochrane for 500k but week in and week out we will be struggling to make Top 6 as youngsters are inconsistent and the majority of people in the mid to late 30s injure easily. We need a settled team but like I said I am hoping that I am wrong. 

We we are not Dundee United bigger things are expected by our fanbase. We want to discuss derby wins, European trips and cup runs not that we once had the Scottish Messi. 

I think that's bollocks mate

1 hour ago, Morgan01 said:

Cant wait to hear the reasons behind Buaben getting his new deal. That's coming. Are we all in agreement that shouldn't be happening or will the experience excuse come out again.

His experience will be invaluable in a coaching role.  The young players will learn from his good habits, good lifestyle and coaching.  And he can be a coach. 

Robbo-Jambo
25 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

The point is he's an injury prone old man with his best days well and truly behind him, it's a joke that this is actually real.

Correct, farcical signing. 

5 hours ago, Spencer said:

For weeks or even months now we have had little on the bench that come on and make an impact. Could have done with him in January 

This is happening 

Was hoping you would tell me it's a dream.

siegementality
5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hearts 1983 side was nicknamed “dads army” Sandy Jardine (aged 34), Alex MacDonald (35), Willie Johnston (36), Stewart Maclaren and Donald Park (both 30).

Jimmy Bone was the veteran former Partick striker added to that team for free at age 34 to play alongside John Robertson in his first season in the top division. Hearts 3-2 Hibs, say no more.

Craig Levein knows that history better than most. I suspect he is maybe trying to slightly replicate it in some way. 

MacLean himself is not what matters, his career is just about done same as Bones was when he came to Hearts. What matters is, what is the best way to help Keena, Henderson, Moore, Cochrane and McDonald to perform? Along with keeping the main man Lafferty happy and hopefully Naismith. MacLean did a pretty good job with Stevie May, who would probably tell you that he would not have much of a career if not for him.

Our Midfield requirements are an ENTIRELY different story

Put simply Jimmy Bone was a better player than MacLean and was exactly the foil Robbo needed at that time. Sandy Clark later adopted the same role with Robbo. In case the memory hasn’t faded, or you are too young to remember, both Bone and Clark were excellent at what they did. In addition Robbo was an exceptional talent. The comparison is simply stupid.

Keena and Henderson are no - and will never be - anything like John Robertson. At their current age Robbo was banging in goals left right and centre.

In addition, Moore, Cochran and McDonald are not forwards so I fail to see what benefit MacLean would bring to them that Hughes, Cowie and Naismith can’t already bring.

Nothing against the guy but if Hearts are looking to sign MacLean then I’d be really disappointed. It’s 2018 not 1983.

10 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Put simply Jimmy Bone was a better player than MacLean and was exactly the foil Robbo needed at that time. Sandy Clark later adopted the same role with Robbo. In case the memory hasn’t faded, or you are too young to remember, both Bone and Clark were excellent at what they did. In addition Robbo was an exceptional talent. The comparison is simply stupid.

Keena and Henderson are no - and will never be - anything like John Robertson. At their current age Robbo was banging in goals left right and centre.

In addition, Moore, Cochran and McDonald are not forwards so I fail to see what benefit MacLean would bring to them that Hughes, Cowie and Naismith can’t already bring.

Nothing against the guy but if Hearts are looking to sign MacLean then I’d be really disappointed. It’s 2018 not 1983.

Very much agree.

When you think back to the likes of Bone and Clark, you think of highly dependable, competent leaders, leaders of men.

Brought up in a era you had to grow up fast.

In turn, so were Robbo etc...

Nowadays I don't know if you get that type of person in the game? Closest I can think of lately in terms of forwards would be Kevin Kyle.

Escobar PHM
4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Good points all round. Jimmy Bone was a  prolific striker for many years. He came to us when we needed someone to ride shotgun for a kid stepping up a league but who’s talent was already blindingly obvious. If you look at Jimmy Bones stats for us they weren’t terribly good but there is no doubt he was employed for a very specific job and done it well. It was a stroke of genius by McDonald and Jardine in truth. Jimmy Bone left Hearts close to 36, very close to the same age McLean is now. We don’t have a prodigy striker for him to ride shotgun for. McLean is nowhere close to the class that Bone was anyway. If we did have a prodigy striker youd break the bank to get Naismith to mentor him. Not some average joe  like Steven McLean. A complete and utter waste of what little financial wiggle room we have this summer.

McLean is an athlete... Bone was a player I see no comparisons with either  in modern day football

If Mclean signs and contributes anywhere near what Bone did in his day then nice one

Time will tell

Cruyff Turn

Not got a problem with signing Maclean as long as he's seen as a backup and we're bringing in, or keeping Naismith and another. 

7 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Mclean may sign as cover and for a future coaching role 

Just what we need....another coach 

Million pound on a new pitch and 430 coaches, coaching how to play attractive hoofball in our shiny new stand 

In Levein we trust 

Maybe the club should have sold a big lego coach instead.

Geoff Kilpatrick
30 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Not got a problem with signing Maclean as long as he's seen as a backup and we're bringing in, or keeping Naismith and another. 

This. A serviceable veteran as a backup player is fine.

As a starter, however...

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

This. A serviceable veteran as a backup player is fine.

As a starter, however...

Same.

Failing to see the need for the resident drama queens to kick off here.

CL knows what he's doing and what he needs for the team / squad.

7 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Bitter much?

Never had any interaction at all with you, and your opener is a wee personal dig. Dear dear, wee man. 

Dear dear Fidel!! Still the same shit poster after your name change.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No evidence but let's attack club/Levein anyway.

FWIW I don't expect us to retain the Prince but he's been a good signing, filling in all over the pitch so he would leave with my best wishes.

As for McLean, I am underwhelmed but understand the logic. It looks like there will be a big gap between our preferred first choice (Kyle, Naismith & hopefully new target) and the kids coming through so having an experienced SPL striker on the strength who can do a job if called upon isn't a daft idea. 

As others have said, wait and see what the composition of the squad looks like after the window closes rather than before it opens before losing your shit. 

Does the reserve league start from next season?.If so,Hughes in defence,Cowie in midfield and Maclean up front.Being utilised as player coaches if you like.Keeps them fit for when they need called upon for first team duty as well as having an identified role other than benchwarmer.Invaluable lessons for the young defenders,midfielders and attackers.That's three of the squad being kept happy.then your first eleven.with three or four from the bench.helps to keep the squad bubbling away instead of twiddling their thumbs and becoming stale.Just my take on it.

MaskedMarauder

I also think we may be resigned to losing Lafferty this summer. I follow his wife on social media and a few times she has posted things that have made me wonder. When they announced they were pregnant, she said that’s another reason to look forward to their summer now, for some new beginnings. If it was just for the baby she would’ve just said a new beginning, no? 

She also posted a photo of her in NY, near to Toronto where some of her family stay, and captioned it “thinking of the future...” with thought bubbles and an excited face. A move to the US/Canada on the cards perhaps. 

A_A wehatethehibs
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

The point is not about the quality of player,  it’s about how you get young players to have the self confidence to come in and perform - consistently 

Saying “players aren’t as good these days” isn’t productive when all I’m doing is pointing to a lesson of how we brought through young players in the past - they were surrounded by a large number of very very experienced players. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This is where I am really. If it allows us to retain Naismith, then strikers of:

Lafferty

Naismith

Currie

McLean

Keena

Covers most of the bases I can think of.

Now, midfield...

Clerry Jambo
heraldscotland.com

Hearts expect to complete Steven MacLean signing by weekend

Alan Temple
4 minutes

HEARTS expect to officially secure the signing of St Johnstone striker Steven MacLean within the next 24 hours, with Craig Levein seeing the veteran marksman as the perfect mentor for the next generation of Tynecastle teens.

The Saints were desperate to extend the 35-year-old’s deal, however they have been unable to compete with the offer tabled by Hearts, which includes the potential opportunity to pursue his coaching aspirations at Tynecastle.

Talks are now at an extremely advanced stage and Hearts chiefs were last night hopeful of completing the paperwork by the end of the week.

MacLean is likely to be utilised as a squad rotation player in the capital, however it is understood boss Levein also expects him to be a pivotal nurturing influence on Hearts’ young strikers, including 19-year-old Aidan Keena who will be promoted to the senior squad next season after impressing on loan at Queen’s Park.

That role echoes the likes of Aaron Hughes, Christophe Berra, Don Cowie and Steven Naismith this term, with Levein placing increasing focus on senior players acting as guiding lights to the club’s most promising youngsters.

MacLean’s signature will herald the first piece of business in what promises to be a hectic period, with owner Ann Budge recently confirming that she will green light the signings of at least nine new players.

Scotland No.1 Allan McGregor is a high priority for the club and sources suggest they are confident of completing the capture of the former Rangers goalkeeper when his contract with Hull City expires this summer.

They have also been linked with Queen of the South winger Lyndon Dykes and Cambridge United forward Uche Ikpeazu.

Levein has already stated that he is keen to tie up several pre-contracts ahead of next season as Hearts seek to get much of their work in the transfer market done by the start of pre-season, revealing last month: “We have made offers for three different players already.

"I'm hoping to get four or five done fairly early and then have time to see how that looks and then we will bring in two or three others in come mid-July, start of August.”

MacLean is assured legendary status at St Johnstone despite his decision to quit McDiarmid Park.

He has scored 54 goals in close to 200 appearances since joining the club from Yeovil in the summer of 2012.

The pinncale of his career in Perth came on May 17, 2014 when he scored the second goal in the Saints’ 2-0 win over Dundee United in the Scottish Cup final, helping the club claim the first piece of major silverware in their history.

The classy forward, who started his career as a youngster with Rangers, making four appearances, has also turned out for the likes of Scunthorpe, Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth and Aberdeen during a varied career north and south of the border.

Speaking ahead of St Johnstone’s 0-0 draw against Motherwell at the weekend, MacLean was adamant he is fitter than ever as he reaches the autumn of his career.

He said: “My plan is to keep playing next season. I still feel great and I’m fitter now than I used to be. As you get older you look after yourself better. I am ten kilos lighter now than I was when I was at Aberdeen [in 2010]. I still have photos of me playing back then and you can see how much heavier I was.”

i wish jj was my dad
10 minutes ago, Bez said:

This is where I am really. If it allows us to retain Naismith, then strikers of:

Lafferty

Naismith

Currie

McLean

Keena

Covers most of the bases I can think of.

Now, midfield...

That looks quite impressive tbh. When did we last have options like that. Not forgetting Henderson, Zanatta and Macdonald either.

I genuinely can't get my head round the desperation to find fault in everything Levein/the club wants to do.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Oh well. Looks like Levein has went balls deep on  this 'model pro' shite.

This is exactly why an employee shouldn't feel too comfortable. Ability should be at the front of Levein's mind. We need hungry player not over the hill types. Also too many youngsters being pushed through at once.

Ron Burgundy
15 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

I dismiss pretty much everything he says!! Slavering toilet.

:laugh:

I was trying to be more diplomatic but you are spot on.

Recent signings suggest sell on value to raise cash is another part of the model in the 5 year plan which has been ditched.  Seems to be a very flexible model.

1 hour ago, MaskedMarauder said:

I also think we may be resigned to losing Lafferty this summer. I follow his wife on social media and a few times she has posted things that have made me wonder. When they announced they were pregnant, she said that’s another reason to look forward to their summer now, for some new beginnings. If it was just for the baby she would’ve just said a new beginning, no? 

She also posted a photo of her in NY, near to Toronto where some of her family stay, and captioned it “thinking of the future...” with thought bubbles and an excited face. A move to the US/Canada on the cards perhaps. 

Can I be so bold as to as ask what made you follow Mrs L in the first place ? 

TyphoonJambo
Just now, GavK1012 said:

Can I be so bold as to as ask what made you follow Mrs L in the first place ? 

Stalker.

Enzo Chiefo
37 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

That looks quite impressive tbh. When did we last have options like that. Not forgetting Henderson, Zanatta and Macdonald either.

I genuinely can't get my head round the desperation to find fault in everything Levein/the club wants to do.

JJ, it's because some of us see through , or are sceptical of, some of the corporate bull***t that the club come out with. In isolation, it maybe seems  a harmless enough signing albeit another wage from our scant resources. However, it does make it look as if Lafferty may be on his way, according to various rumours. Naismith will also be difficult to retain. 

I am concerned that Levein wants a team of robotic role models that are going to mentor a group of over coached academy kids. That is the wrong aporoach because every team needs a maverick, someone that's going to do something random . I'm thinking that Levein  wants Lafferty out due to some perceived indiscretion earlier in the season, as alluded to in Jan. That would be his worst decision to date...IF it happens.

Captain Canada

I didn't realise he was 35. It doesn't make sense to me as a signing. I'd rather see guys like Keena, Currie and Henderson get more game time. 

He's not a player I've ever watched and thought 'he'd be a good player for us'. 

Hopefully he'll come in and do well though.  

johnking123

Find it amusing that a lot of you think he will be leading the line for us as our main striker. End of world stuff lol

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think that's bollocks mate

I really hope so mate I am not against Levein I thought it was a good appointment and still is currently.

If McLean signs I would say that proves my point. We have coaches on the sidelines on the pitch and a bunch of young laddies coming through in the meantime the fans suffer poor football that’s my prediction for next season unless the signing change.

Also on other posters points on the 80s team circumstances have changed on the pitch and off it at tynecastle. When that team was built it had surviving in the league in mind due to years of ups and downs. We as a club are no longer in that position. 

BobbyJenkins
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

JJ, it's because some of us see through , or are sceptical of, some of the corporate bull***t that the club come out with. In isolation, it maybe seems  a harmless enough signing albeit another wage from our scant resources. However, it does make it look as if Lafferty may be on his way, according to various rumours. Naismith will also be difficult to retain. 

I am concerned that Levein wants a team of robotic role models that are going to mentor a group of over coached academy kids. That is the wrong aporoach because every team needs a maverick, someone that's going to do something random . I'm thinking that Levein  wants Lafferty out due to some perceived indiscretion earlier in the season, as alluded to in Jan. That would be his worst decision to date...IF it happens.

You're concerned about everything Levein does, you're a ****ing bore man.