Ryan Gauld

dazajmbo

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not disagreeing that Gauld is a talent but i think you are probably overstating the quality of the Portuguese second division.

Remember Bruno Aguiar?  Probably the best centre mid to play for Hearts in the last 10 years? Over 100 games in the Portuguese second division. Portugal is double the size of Scotland and in football terms it is 100x the size. There is a major reason for that, starts with B ends with zil 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• dazajmbo

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Would  be a great signing and really  be a sign that we are serious about progressing and challenging  near the top.

Naismith staying on would  also show intent.

Adam, would be more of a gamble, and we'd still  need pace and drive to compliment him.

41 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Remember Bruno Aguiar?  Probably the best centre mid to play for Hearts in the last 10 years? Over 100 games in the Portuguese second division. Portugal is double the size of Scotland and in football terms it is 100x the size. There is a major reason for that, starts with B ends with zil 

And Pallardo played similar in la liga around the time they were one of the best national teams of all time. That means nothing. Portuguese second division isn’t anything special. No second divisions are That great

AlphonseCapone

Folk obviously watch a lot more Portuguese football than I realised. 

He seems like the player equivalent of Cathro. 

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Gauld was like Cochrane is today after his first season where he played 10 games, he then went on to have a blistering second season, and it was his consistency over that season which won him his move. A lot of Hearts fans will have blocked that season from memory as we got relegated.

His record is a massive step up from what cochrane (p:16 g:1 a:1)has got anywhere near as yet. Gauld scored 9 goals + 12 assists over 51 games over 2 seasons in this league - fair enough if you don’t think those numbers are proof he is good enough for this absolute pish league. He has been playing football and developing himself in the current European Champion nation Portugal, a different stratosphere of quality of player (even in the second division) to what he would come across in Scotland. You’re right there will be question marks but in terms of players within Hearts radar, Gauld is about as good a signing as we could ever even dream of making. 

"A good a signing we could ever dream of making", - 'if' the right mentality is there to become a consistent first team player. That's what you'd expect but it's not guarenteed. 

We've seen it before on numerous occasions were young players come into the first team at 17-18, massive expectations and by 21-23 have dropped down the league's. John Fleck, John Bostock, Francis Jeffers, Danny Wilson, Michael Johnson, Anthony Le Tallec... the list is endless,  all of whom were tagged as the next big thing and with big fees attached to them or banded around.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that Ryan Gauld isn't good enough for Hearts, he probably is, it's whether he can be a standout first team player, that's debatable. It's alright saying he done it when he was 17-18 with no pressure or demands, young guys play with no fear, same goes for Cochrane, there's no guarantees he will get much better either.

I also think you're vastly overstating the quality of the Portuguese League, it's really not that great. They've got 3 massive clubs, then Braga and then the rest are much of a muchness. The club Gauld is with are 13th in that League and he's only played 406 minutes there, so I think it's safe to assume he's not going to make it at Sporting and maybe not good enough to hold down a first team place at a club in that League, a league which suits technical players more than ours does. 

All I'm saying mate is there is no relation to his early promise to where he is now, and there are no guarantees that if he was to come here, that he would be good enough to waltz his way into our starting XI. There's every chance he might not reach anywhere near the levels that people believed he would, for whatever reason, it happens. 

Time will tell but as of this moment you cannot say that Ryan Gauld would be a fantastic signing or better than Walker, he'd be an exciting signing perhaps given the expectations but he's got a lot to prove.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

"A good a signing we could ever dream of making", - 'if' the right mentality is there to become a consistent first team player. That's what you'd expect but it's not guarenteed. 

We've seen it before on numerous occasions were young players come into the first team at 17-18, massive expectations and by 21-23 have dropped down the league's. John Fleck, John Bostock, Francis Jeffers, Danny Wilson, Michael Johnson, Anthony Le Tallec... the list is endless,  all of whom were tagged as the next big thing and with big fees attached to them or banded around.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that Ryan Gauld isn't good enough for Hearts, he probably is, it's whether he can be a standout first team player, that's debatable. It's alright saying he done it when he was 17-18 with no pressure or demands, young guys play with no fear, same goes for Cochrane, there's no guarantees he will get much better either.

I also think you're vastly overstating the quality of the Portuguese League, it's really not that great. They've got 3 massive clubs, then Braga and then the rest are much of a muchness. The club Gauld is with are 13th in that League and he's only played 406 minutes there, so I think it's safe to assume he's not going to make it at Sporting and maybe not good enough to hold down a first team place at a club in that League, a league which suits technical players more than ours does. 

All I'm saying mate is there is no relation to his early promise to where he is now, and there are no guarantees that if he was to come here, that he would be good enough to waltz his way into our starting XI. There's every chance he might not reach anywhere near the levels that people believed he would, for whatever reason, it happens. 

Time will tell but as of this moment you cannot say that Ryan Gauld would be a fantastic signing or better than Walker, he'd be an exciting signing perhaps given the expectations but he's got a lot to prove.

Ally Dick springs to mind as well, and even Michael Stewart. However, if he is available, and in our price range, he could be well worth a punt. 

43 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Respect the lad for going off to Portugal but not sure where all the hype comes from. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Based on the OP I reckon Daza has heard something......

Think what you want ?

I'm not doubting any ITKs but Gauld has stated numerous times that he will never come back to Scotland as it would be a step back in his career. Plus he's now been away 4 years and done absolutely nothing, saying that I'd obviously take him.

Tynecastlesmychurch

He's not out of contract till 2020 at Sporting Lisbon.

Maybe a loan deal tho???

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

A_A wehatethehibs

Much of a muchness ?

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Of course you can’t predict how any signing would turn out, but I would say Ryan Gauld is as good a signing as Hearts could ever dream of making.  We are certainly not going to sign the guy in front of Gauld at sporting, Marcos Acuña, that’s for sure. 

Suppose it depends on what we intend to do with McDonald next year. If he is in and around the first team squad it perhaps would reduce his opportunities. He is still very young though. 

Portugal just hasn't worked out at all for RG, in football terms at least 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Much of a muchness ?

Of course you can’t predict how any signing would turn out, but I would say Ryan Gauld is as good a signing as Hearts could ever dream of making.  We are certainly not going to sign the guy in front of Gauld at sporting, Marcos Acuña, that’s for sure. 

Only time I've seen him in last year or so was for Scotland 21s where he did not impress.

Though maybe like say Scott Allan he needs to be at the right club. 

He would slot in very nicely for us and is exactly what we need, even if he's gone off the boil. But he's playing first team football in Portugal so he's not exactly wasting his career in the reserves Derek Riorden style yet.

We need some creativity in the team. If we got Gauld in and Adao & Naismith signed that would be some statement for the beginning of next season. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This is an excellent post. Patiently structured in to detail that I can rarely be bothered attempting on here these days. Sums up my opinion on the matter perfectly.

Daz doesnt post just for the sake of it so based on previous posts i would suggest he has heard something. Gauld is contracted to Lisbon till 2020 plus i cant see them squandering that kind of money without recouping some of it so maybe a loan deal. If he is to be a free agent we will be miles down the que unfortunately.  The Type of player we should be looking at 

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Daz doesnt post just for the sake of it so based on previous posts i would suggest he has heard something. Gauld is contracted to Lisbon till 2020 plus i cant see them squandering that kind of money without recouping some of it so maybe a loan deal. If he is to be a free agent we will be miles down the que unfortunately.  The Type of player we should be looking at 

Haven't heard anything concrete.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Spoke to him last summer. Hard to know what he's going to offer but he isn't making a shite Scottish team. 

Post under sounds better than the reality 

Well I for one have no idea how he will, or won't!, do for us. Never seen him play in Portugal. Don't remember seeing him much for the arabs, though I recall his excellent form and 'mini messi' stuff. They were a good attacking team at that time! 

If anyone's wanting my view on other potential signings - €5 per pm.

Escobar PHM

Speaking of young Scots playing in that part of the world, I see Jack Harper is out of contract this summer. Worth a punt ?

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Speaking of young Scots playing in that part of the world, I see Jack Harper is out of contract this summer. Worth a punt ?

Definitely...another really good young Scottish player...I suspect he’ll stay in Spain tho, but he would be some signing.

Edited by cb1874

22 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Definitely...another really good young Scottish player...I suspect he’ll stay in Spain tho, but he would be some signing.

I agree, just got to wonder how long he can continue playing youth football. He's bloody 22 now and done nothing!

Escobar PHM
7 hours ago, OTT said:

I agree, just got to wonder how long he can continue playing youth football. He's bloody 22 now and done nothing!

Yep, thats his big drawback. 22 and not played a senior game. Mostly its due to a career choice that was very hard to resist but ultimately wrong for him. He's still a 'prospect' at a lower level though and somebody might get really lucky signing him.

Rangers were linked with him in January and might well be in for him in the summer, so we'd lose out on that one if we didn't jump in now for him.He's Levein's sort of punt IMO.(As Gauld would be)

Edited by Escobar PHM

Howdy Doody Jambo
7 hours ago, OTT said:

Exactly,  Cochrane is 16 and is a seasoned professional in comparison 

29 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Exactly,  Cochrane is 16 and is a seasoned professional in comparison 

Ryan Gauld has played more top flight games than Cochrane.

42 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Ryan Gauld has played more top flight games than Cochrane.

Talking about Harper there I think

17 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Cathro was in Portugal trying to get Gauld to sign for hearts (on loan im sure) but he wasn’t interested in coming back to Scotland. 

I dont think his mind will have changed in a year. 

Edited by Morph

21 minutes ago, Morph said:

Cathro was in Portugal trying to get Gauld to sign for hearts (on loan im sure) but he wasn’t interested in coming back to Scotland. 

I dont think his mind will have changed in a year. 

Maybe now Cathro's gone he will be more willing to consider it.

16 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Much of a muchness ?

I think that's over egging it a bit no?

We've already got better players (albeit on loan) than him who have achieved more in their careers that Gauld ever likely will or are at bigger clubs than him at a similar age.

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That makes no sense.

Bazzas right boot

Are folk seriously  saying that Gauld wouldn't be a good signing?

Some on the Naismith thread said the same about him as well.

People do know we're Hearts, the team that plays in Scotland?

4 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Are folk seriously  saying that Gauld wouldn't be a good signing?

Some on the Naismith thread said the same about him as well.

People do know we're Hearts, the team that plays in Scotland?

I think there's a bit of a difference between a young player yet to truly prove himself and a seasoned pro who has been successful in one of the world's top leagues.

It would be an interesting and exciting signing.  While Daz says he's heard nothing concrete (so, anything wooden or plastic, then?), I wonder what the point might be of a poster, who knows that as soon as he posts a name of a player it will get attention, making such a post in the first place. 

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

That makes no sense.

You're the only person struggling with it. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It doesn't make sense to me either

5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Cathro was an untested manager. Do you think Gauld is an untested footballer? Kicking about 5's at the moment waiting to get a crack at being a professional?

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It doesn't make sense to me either

4 minutes ago, kila said:

Cathro was an untested manager. Do you think Gauld is an untested footballer? Kicking about 5's at the moment waiting to get a crack at being a professional?

I presume Smithee it's the Cathro comparison you mean so I'll explain. 

Gauld is this mythical name that everyone churns out (like Cathro was). I'm sure there are folk on here who've saw a lot of him but I'd the majority haven't seen him kick a ball in years.

But like Cathro was on here, he has this reputation. He's seen as a young Scottish guy who moved abroad to progress (admirable) but how much have people saw of him to know he'd be a good signing? Just because he is signed for Sporting Lisbon doesn't mean he'll be any good in Scotland. I honestly have no idea how good they are these days and I doubt many folk on here do either or have a good grasp on the current standards of Portuguese football. 

I'd only really heard of Cathro through the hype on here and it amazed me how much folk seemed to know about him. I fear Gould may be a similar story, where reputation and mystique outrank genuine knowledge and objectivity. 

I'm not saying he'd be bad, I just don't know and it surprises how many people do. But maybe it's just me that knows nothing of him really and fine, fair enough. If we did sign him I'd obviously hope he was great.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Still not seeing the comparison.  Enlighten me.

AlphonseCapone
Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Still not seeing the comparison.  Enlighten me.

See above. Just posted at the same time as you. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I presume Smithee it's the Cathro comparison you mean so I'll explain. 

Gauld is this mythical name that everyone churns out (like Cathro was). I'm sure there are folk on here who've saw a lot of him but I'd the majority haven't seen him kick a ball in years.

But like Cathro was on here, he has this reputation. He's seen as a young Scottish guy who moved abroad to progress (admirable) but how much have people saw of him to know he'd be a good signing? Just because he is signed for Sporting Lisbon doesn't mean he'll be any good in Scotland. I honestly have no idea how good they are these days and I doubt many folk on here do either or have a good grasp on the current standards of Portuguese football. 

I'd only really heard of Cathro through the hype on here and it amazed me how much folk seemed to know about him. I fear Gould may be a similar story, where reputation and mystique outrank genuine knowledge and objectivity. 

I'm not saying he'd be bad, I just don't know and it surprises how many people do. But maybe it's just me that knows nothing of him really and fine, fair enough. If we did sign him I'd obviously hope he was great.

Gauld is mythical?

Do you only want us to sign players you personally know?

Ffs, Craig will know Gauld for one. 

We can scout him for two.

Gauld has been playing professonal football for a number of years, cathro had never managed a team.

The comparison is honking and makes even less sense after your Borris Johnson- esq explanation.

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Gauld is mythical?

Do you only want us to sign players you personally know?

Ffs, Craig will know Gauld for one. 

We can scout him for two.

Gauld has been playing professonal football for a number of years, cathro had never managed a team.

The comparison is honking and makes even less sense after your Borris Johnson- esq explanation.

Not sure why you are so emotional about it? Pretty weird reaction to a contrary opinion. 

Gauld isn't mythical, pretty sure he does exist. I'm not sure how you leaped to me wanting to know players personally. My post was directed at some posters on JKB and their opinions of Gauld and not the club or Levein. 

There are tens of thousands of football players that have been playing for years that aren't good enough for us. What utterly bizzare logic. 

Have you seen Gauld play? What are his main attributes? Why would he be a good signing for us? 

You should relax a bit mate, only an opinion. Sorry for upsetting you so much. 

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 00:26, dazajmbo said:

Worth a punt? Free at end of season.

I had heard Levein tried to get him in January on loan but for one reason or another it didn't pull off and the plan was to go back for him in the summer?

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Not sure why you are so emotional about it? Pretty weird reaction to a contrary opinion. 

Gauld isn't mythical, pretty sure he does exist. I'm not sure how you leaped to me wanting to know players personally. My post was directed at some posters on JKB and their opinions of Gauld and not the club or Levein. 

There are tens of thousands of football players that have been playing for years that aren't good enough for us. What utterly bizzare logic. 

Have you seen Gauld play? What are his main attributes? Why would he be a good signing for us? 

You should relax a bit mate, only an opinion. Sorry for upsetting you so much. 

Lol, I was tongue in cheek.

Given , what I've seen , his reputation, his experience, pedigree and his young age, I think he'd be a good signing for us.

He, of course might not be. Every player has an element of risk attached. 

However, as to my original point being debated- the comparison to cathro was/is nonsense . It still doesn't  make sense. 

1 hour ago, Haken said:

I think there's a bit of a difference between a young player yet to truly prove himself and a seasoned pro who has been successful in one of the world's top leagues.

It would be an interesting and exciting signing.  While Daz says he's heard nothing concrete (so, anything wooden or plastic, then?), I wonder what the point might be of a poster, who knows that as soon as he posts a name of a player it will get attention, making such a post in the first place. 

that's the whole point, highlighted.

Maybe the lad needs to come home? 

I don’t have a clue if he’s enjoying himself or not, improved or not etc...but going by what we know previously I don’t think the guy will have lost much ability in such a short time.

I’ve no doubt professional people in the game keep in touch, watch him and speak to others about his frame of mind and attitude.

Coming home might give him a lift.

Back in a competitive environment, playing first team football and being more in the public eye and consciousness.

Sometimes players just need to play somewhere that reinvigorates their passion for the game and in a place that appreciates them. 

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Lol, I was tongue in cheek.

Given , what I've seen , his reputation, his experience, pedigree and his young age, I think he'd be a good signing for us.

He, of course might not be. Every player has an element of risk attached. 

However, as to my original point being debated- the comparison to cathro was/is nonsense . It still doesn't  make sense. 

If Wiki is correct he has only played 23 first team games since 2014, 21 of which are on loan. 

I appreciate all players are at risk but for me, I just don't think Gauld is worth the risk. 

I still see similarities on here to how they are viewed but if that's only me then fair enough.

Having said all that, I just read that Sporting signed him for a rumoured £3 million which is an incredible amount for the age he was.