• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• dazajmbo

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Bazzas right boot

4 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Worth a punt? Free at end of season.

You know something we don’t?!! Would definitely take him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was an option, he's surely on Levein's radar due to formerly working with him. I'm on-board.

Edited by JME

jamboinglasgow

would be a fantastic signing. He is a great talent and just not got the breaks in Portugal (thanks, among other things, to Sporting's pettiness.)

But saw his contract ends in 2020 according to Transfermarkt, cant see Sporting releasing him early if they could get some money back which would put us out of reach.

A_A wehatethehibs

Obviously well worth a punt but I think as a 21 year olds free agent who signed for sporting Lisbon for £3m at 18, he’ll not be short of teams interested. 

But maybe he’d be keen to play alongside his old mate Soapy again

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

letsalldothebeattie

If available for free or cheap then yeah absolutely why not bring him back to Scotland. The only thing is whether he wants to come back to Scotland because he has said in interviews in papers here that he would like to stay in Europe for a while if ever to leave Sporting. But worth a punt to try if he’s available 

I’d like to see us sign him, but I’d worry slightly that he’s been built up in to a player that he is not. That people would expect to much from him and would be lining up to be the first to call him shite after his first misplaced pass.

I would LOVE is to sign Charlie Adam.

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I’d like to see us sign him, but I’d worry slightly that he’s been built up in to a player that he is not. That people would expect to much from him and would be lining up to be the first to call him shite after his first misplaced pass.

Last time he was in Scotland he coasted. He'd do it again. Would be a total waste of money and we'd just be funding his pension.

Edited by Spellczech

The type of player we should be taking a punt on. At an age still with potential for improvement. Souttar is a great example of what can be done with the good recruitment that we need much more of. Too much left to agents, get out there and find them.

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Last time he was in Scotland he coasted. He'd do it again. Would be a total waste of money and we'd just be funding his pension.

Not sure about that, mate. When he was with St Mirren and Rangers he was a much younger man. If we are after him, then I don’t think Levein would take any chances on a player with that sort of attitude. Especially seeing as he knows him well.

I'd take Gauld like a shot but can't see it happening. However I've been proved wrong before.

Edited by JohnB

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Ryder said:

So what you’re saying is, if you had the choice between Charlie Adam and Ryan Guald for Hearts, you would choose Adam? 

He’s not out of contract at the end of the season. Did in an interview somewhere recently where he said he’s got a couple of years left and is still hopeful he’ll break into their first team.

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So what you’re saying is, if you had the choice between Charlie Adam and Ryan Guald for Hearts, you would choose Adam? 

I’d like both. I think Adam’s greater first team experience, international experience and the level he’s played at would bring more benefit to our team currently though. 

maroonnicky63

I would take him but can't see it he is still young and will be motivated by money ,we wont be able to compete, I would think he will be snapped up by an English club

The Internet
52 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I would. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Ryder said:

I’d like both. I think Adam’s greater first team experience, international experience and the level he’s played at would bring more benefit to our team currently though. 

I’d certainly want to prioritise getting Naismith over offering Adam anything for the reasons you outline (international experience etc). Adam seems to have completely lost it mentally in recent months, something has cracked there big time. Signing him would be a lot bigger of a roll of the dice than signing cowie /Berra/naismith, all of whom were always good professionals who kept themselves fit and kept a clean head. The same cannot be said of Adam. But then, i suppose the same couldn’t be said of lafferty and he’s now playing well... that doesn’t mean the gamble would pay off in Adams case. I could easily see him turning up at Hearts for the first day of training about 2 stone overweight thinking it’ll be a walk in the park for him. Just the same attitude as when Rangers binned him. 

All things considered, Hearts might be a good move for Adam but I’d definitely think Gauld would be a far better signing for Hearts & our strategy. From the point of view of looking to the future rather than the past. We’d certainly soon start shifting the season tickets if we signed the both of them tbf ?

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Nookie Bear

I'm not sure about Charlie Adam tbh

Really like him as a player but he has shown signs recently of losing focus recently and i worry that, if we did sign him, his effort levels would drop. Even dropping it by as little as 5% would make him a passenger in our league, and we really cannot afford that.

Hagar the Horrible

We could offer Ryan a shop window, if he applies himself, then no doubt there would be international call ups and a bigger shop window for him to advertise himself, pl;aying under 21's in a Euopean league is slowly being eroded as the sands of time are never kind.

He would get regular first team football

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Really like him as a player but he has shown signs recently of losing focus recently and i worry that, if we did sign him, his effort levels would drop. Even dropping it by as little as 5% would make him a passenger in our league, and we really cannot afford that.

This.

Although his Wife would certainly brighten up the Main Stand :ninja:

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

Thought he was playing in England.

I seem to remember some connection with Brighton.  Maybe they were after him and failed to get him.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’d certainly want to prioritise getting Naismith over offering Adam anything for the reasons you outline (international experience etc). Adam seems to have completely lost it mentally in recent months, something has cracked there big time. Signing him would be a lot bigger of a roll of the dice than signing cowie /Berra/naismith, all of whom were always good professionals who kept themselves fit and kept a clean head. The same cannot be said of Adam. But then, i suppose the same couldn’t be said of lafferty and he’s now playing well... that doesn’t mean the gamble would pay off in Adams case. I could easily see him turning up at Hearts for the first day of training about 2 stone overweight thinking it’ll be a walk in the park for him. Just the same attitude as when Rangers binned him. 

All things considered, Hearts might be a good move for Adam but I’d definitely think Gauld would be a far better signing for Hearts & our strategy. From the point of view of looking to the future rather than the past. We’d certainly soon start shifting the season tickets if we signed the both of them tbf ?

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

All fair points chaps. I don’t really know about Adam’s attitude or mental condition though. I dont listen to the radio show he’s on. I assume he’s saying odd things recently?

Edited by Ryder

Cruyff Turn

Is Ryan Gauld actually any good or  a folk just going by his Freddie Adu, wonderkid, potential at Utd? 

Doubt he's suited to this league. 

1 hour ago, GYL said:

Your thinking of the other lad that signed for Real Madrid......Harper?

Who’s now playing 4th tier in Spain’s regional leagues..! Pretty sure I saw quotes from Zidane saying the boy was a talent aswell!? 

...a bit disco
3 hours ago, Ryder said:

Can't shake the image of his hilarious free kick v Kaunas which helped see Rangers laughed out of Europe.

Sorry.

21 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Can't shake the image of his hilarious free kick v Kaunas which helped see Rangers laughed out of Europe.

Sorry.

:lol:

Great times!

A_A wehatethehibs
48 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Is Ryan Gauld actually any good or  a folk just going by his Freddie Adu, wonderkid, potential at Utd? 

He was very good for Dundee United, beyond potential. Not just scoring but the assists he provides, he is a proven player at this level. And with the experience of playing in Portugal he will be a better player now, and still only 21. Getting labelled “the Scottish Messi” just didn’t help the lad so early in his career, but he was brave enough to take it and sign for Lisbon. He would be a fantastic signing for Hearts. He’d be a better player than Jamie Walker was for us.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

All fair points chaps. I don’t really know about Adam’s attitude or mental condition though. I dont listen to the radio show he’s on. I assume he’s saying odd things recently?

Im basing it more on his bombscare recent performances since lambert came in at Stoke. Missed penalties, red cards, he has been all over the place, just at the moment when they needed to rely on him in their relegation fight 

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was very good for Dundee United, beyond potential. Not just scoring but the assists he provides, he is a proven player at this level. And with the experience of playing in Portugal he will be a better player now, and still only 21. Getting labelled “the Scottish Messi” just didn’t help the lad so early in his career, but he was brave enough to take it and sign for Lisbon. He would be a fantastic signing for Hearts. He’d be a better player than Jamie Walker was for us.

Im basing it more on his bombscare recent performances since lambert came in at Stoke. Missed penalties, red cards, he has been all over the place, just at the moment when they needed to rely on him in their relegation fight 

Cheers. I don’t watch as much English football as many others. Wasn’t really aware he was struggling.

The Internet
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Tbf at least he has actually done it in this league before and at a very young age. No idea what he's like now though. 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was potential at this level, bit like Cochrane is at the moment, albeit probably a more exciting prospect. It's been 4-5 years since he played in this league though, and while I don't doubt Ryan Gauld is a technically brilliant player, I don't think anyone can say for sure that he'd be a "fantastic signing" for us. 

On paper and with his previous potential in mind, a lot of folk would think he'd still be on a steady rise to greatness, truth is though, he's stalled. He's barely played in the last 3 seasons, even on loan to various clubs, he's rarely started games and hasn't been in a Scotland u21 squad for a while so there is a huge element of doubt as to whether or not he can hack it as a senior pro. 

There is no doubting there's talent, but does he have the mentality to play in this league? I'm not so sure and while it would be something of a coup to sign a player with his previous potential, I'd urge a degree of caution on believing he'd be anything better than Jamie Walker. 

There's definitely been a degree of hyperbole surrounding Gauld but we've seen the same thing with hundreds of 17/18 year olds who have amounted to nothing more than lower league players. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He was potential at this level, bit like Cochrane is at the moment, albeit probably a more exciting prospect. It's been 4-5 years since he played in this league though, and while I don't doubt Ryan Gauld is a technically brilliant player, I don't think anyone can say for sure that he'd be a "fantastic signing" for us. 

On paper and with his previous potential in mind, a lot of folk would think he'd still be on a steady rise to greatness, truth is though, he's stalled. He's barely played in the last 3 seasons, even on loan to various clubs, he's rarely started games and hasn't been in a Scotland u21 squad for a while so there is a huge element of doubt as to whether or not he can hack it as a senior pro. 

There is no doubting there's talent, but does he have the mentality to play in this league? I'm not so sure and while it would be something of a coup to sign a player with his previous potential, I'd urge a degree of caution on believing he'd be anything better than Jamie Walker. 

There's definitely been a degree of hyperbole surrounding Gauld but we've seen the same thing with hundreds of 17/18 year olds who have amounted to nothing more than lower league players. 

Gauld was like Cochrane is today after his first season where he played 10 games, he then went on to have a blistering second season, and it was his consistency over that season which won him his move. A lot of Hearts fans will have blocked that season from memory as we got relegated.

His record is a massive step up from what cochrane (p:16 g:1 a:1)has got anywhere near as yet. Gauld scored 9 goals + 12 assists over 51 games over 2 seasons in this league - fair enough if you don’t think those numbers are proof he is good enough for this absolute pish league. He has been playing football and developing himself in the current European Champion nation Portugal, a different stratosphere of quality of player (even in the second division) to what he would come across in Scotland. You’re right there will be question marks but in terms of players within Hearts radar, Gauld is about as good a signing as we could ever even dream of making. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Gauld was like Cochrane is today after his first season where he played 10 games, he then went on to have a blistering second season, and it was his consistency over that season which won him his move. A lot of Hearts fans will have blocked that season from memory as we got relegated.

His record is a massive step up from what cochrane (p:16 g:1 a:1)has got anywhere near as yet. Gauld scored 9 goals + 12 assists over 51 games over 2 seasons in this league - fair enough if you don’t think those numbers are proof he is good enough for this absolute pish league. He has been playing football and developing himself in the current European Champion nation Portugal, a different stratosphere of quality of player (even in the second division) to what he would come across in Scotland. You’re right there will be question marks but in terms of players within Hearts radar, Gauld is about as good a signing as we could ever even dream of making. 

Not disagreeing that Gauld is a talent but i think you are probably overstating the quality of the Portuguese second division.

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not disagreeing that Gauld is a talent but i think you are probably overstating the quality of the Portuguese second division.

He’s been playing in the top tier i think?? Team hes been with this season were promoted last season