Boof

A wee snippet of part of my winter time activities - and an excuse to show off Shetland ;)

Any Wicker Man cracks are water off a duck's back to me so don't waste your time :lol:

Another Jambo in there at 6:55 - some of you might know him.

scott herbertson
17 minutes ago, Boof said:

A wee snippet of part of my winter time activities - and an excuse to show off Shetland ;)

Any Wicker Man cracks are water off a duck's back to me so don't waste your time :lol:

Looks great.

visited the Orkneys about 45 years ago, loved it but could stretch to the Shetlands,  and vowed to do up Helly a then. Kids now 17 and16 so soon be off my hands and my wife and should be there in a few years. My plan was always to go for a month, with up Helly a at the end , to get involved in the build up

chester copperpot

I know it's not on topic, but is most of the programme Shetland actually shot on Shetland Boof?

I am actually hooked on that programme. It's much much better than Broadchurch IMO

Yep - a lot of the outdoor stuff is. The interiors often aren't, though, for instance the Polis station and Perez hoose. The exterior of the cop shop is actually our court house entrance and Perez hoose belongs to a mate of mine.

I've been in it as an extra a few times - not this series, though.

Scott - feel free to get in touch if you do head north. The main Up Helly Aa is in Lerwick (last Tuesday in January) and is close to being twice as big as SMUHA (second Friday in March)...but they don't burn their galley in the sea.

I take part in both but having been the heid honcho in the first SMUHA have a few more inroads to the behind-the-scenes stuff if that floats your figurative boat.

15 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Looks great.

visited the Orkneys about 45 years ago, loved it but could stretch to the Shetlands,  and vowed to do up Helly a then. Kids now 17 and16 so soon be off my hands and my wife and should be there in a few years. My plan was always to go for a month, with up Helly a at the end , to get involved in the build up

Just a wee ps...locals will bristle a bit if you refer to the 'Orkneys' or 'Shetlands'. You'd still be welcome, nonetheless :) 

scott herbertson
46 minutes ago, Boof said:

Just a wee ps...locals will bristle a bit if you refer to the 'Orkneys' or 'Shetlands'. You'd still be welcome, nonetheless :) 

Sorry mustbemy autocorrect which seems to be getting worse. Realise singularity is the way

scott herbertson
10 hours ago, Boof said:

Yep - a lot of the outdoor stuff is. The interiors often aren't, though, for instance the Polis station and Perez hoose. The exterior of the cop shop is actually our court house entrance and Perez hoose belongs to a mate of mine.

I've been in it as an extra a few times - not this series, though.

Scott - feel free to get in touch if you do head north. The main Up Helly Aa is in Lerwick (last Tuesday in January) and is close to being twice as big as SMUHA (second Friday in March)...but they don't burn their galley in the sea.

I take part in both but having been the heid honcho in the first SMUHA have a few more inroads to the behind-the-scenes stuff if that floats your figurative boat.

Yes , thanks, I will. Initially I was confused  by your dates as I thought it was just one event. Burning boat in the harbour is a big bonus!

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes , thanks, I will. Initially I was confused  by your dates as I thought it was just one event. Burning boat in the harbour is a big bonus!

There's actually 10 across the length and breadth of the isles - 12 if you include the junior ones. Earliest is second Friday in January, last is 3rd Friday in March. Lerwick is the only one that sticks to the midweek format. SMUHA has been blessed with boat-lunching weather every year so far - one of these years we'll have to have a land burning but that's something we all accept as possible.

I aye have a bit of a chuckle at the schools throwing open their doors for the daytime visits as I've been welcomed into schools armed with axes, daggers, swords and even bow and arrows!

I can't recall if you're musical (your brother is, amirite?) but music also plays a big part in any get togethers. The array of talent is nothing short of astonishing.

Салатные палочки
18 hours ago, Boof said:

That looks brilliant to be fair.  Are you in this video?  

Those costumes look expensive, is it a case of fundraising over the year to get new ones made or do you personally fund them? 

scott herbertson
20 minutes ago, Boof said:

There's actually 10 across the length and breadth of the isles - 12 if you include the junior ones. Earliest is second Friday in January, last is 3rd Friday in March. Lerwick is the only one that sticks to the midweek format. SMUHA has been blessed with boat-lunching weather every year so far - one of these years we'll have to have a land burning but that's something we all accept as possible.

I aye have a bit of a chuckle at the schools throwing open their doors for the daytime visits as I've been welcomed into schools armed with axes, daggers, swords and even bow and arrows!

I can't recall if you're musical (your brother is, amirite?) but music also plays a big part in any get togethers. The array of talent is nothing short of astonishing.

I'd like to be musical but my head and other parts seem to lack coordination! Ivebeen into folk  music  since the 60s and attended many festivals and it was back in the 70s when I first got interested in Up Helly a (I was studying Scottish and Scandinavian history at uni)

Craig is the musical one though he does it for a living so might not be able to persuade him to come up unless there was the potential for gigs.

47 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

That looks brilliant to be fair.  Are you in this video?  

Those costumes look expensive, is it a case of fundraising over the year to get new ones made or do you personally fund them? 

You can just catch a glimpse of me (not that it's worth searching for!) at 2:55.

The suit is self-funded. You'll know you're going to be in the Jarl squad 4 or 5 years in advance so it's a case of tucking away a monthly £10-20. Most of the suit is self-made as well - that's part of the camaraderie over the winter getting everything put together, learning how to do new stuff - work leather etc. Some of the stuff is bought in or made for the squad e.g. some of the pewter-work for the helmets is cast in Aberdeen and assembled here. Ditto the axe-head - cast somewhere off-isle and put together here with all the other bits.

If you have family in the squad it can be an expensive time but it feels worth it in the end.

42 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I'd like to be musical but my head and other parts seem to lack coordination! Ivebeen into folk  music  since the 60s and attended many festivals and it was back in the 70s when I first got interested in Up Helly a (I was studying Scottish and Scandinavian history at uni)

Craig is the musical one though he does it for a living so might not be able to persuade him to come up unless there was the potential for gigs.

There's always a claim to revisit our Viking heritage but as the first speaker says - it's a party!

Has Craig ever investigated attending the Shetland Folk Festival? 

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Boof said:

You can just catch a glimpse of me (not that it's worth searching for!) at 2:55.

The suit is self-funded. You'll know you're going to be in the Jarl squad 4 or 5 years in advance so it's a case of tucking away a monthly £10-20. Most of the suit is self-made as well - that's part of the camaraderie over the winter getting everything put together, learning how to do new stuff - work leather etc. Some of the stuff is bought in or made for the squad e.g. some of the pewter-work for the helmets is cast in Aberdeen and assembled here. Ditto the axe-head - cast somewhere off-isle and put together here with all the other bits.

If you have family in the squad it can be an expensive time but it feels worth it in the end.

Fair play man must be a lot of work that goes into it.  It's nice to see these traditions are still alive and well and the whole island or community is involved.  Must be some party at the end of it.   

• 2 years later...

Sigh - second year now I'm having to forego a huge fry-up and large glass of white port for my breakfast.

11 minutes ago, Boof said:

Sigh - second year now I'm having to forego a huge fry-up and large glass of white port for my breakfast.

just because it is not going ahead you could in homage to it have a massive fry up and wash it down with a tankard of port

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

just because it is not going ahead you could in homage to it have a massive fry up and wash it down with a tankard of port

Or two tankards of port.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Or two tankards of port.

Unfortunately the driving-to-work thing put paid to the port consumption :(

Will have a glass or two tonight :cheers:

Same here boof. Favourite day of the year. Finish work, quick snooze, get my fancy dress gear on, social club for pints and then on it til the early hours!! Gutted it’s off for a second year but will just make it even better when we get out again!