?? MLS thread

LesJambes

The Old Tolbooth
18 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Not trying to say the rest of the league is brilliant at all John I was just saying that in terms of the football the states are still relatively young in football terms and ours I am afraid is still poor.

I am saying that but still buy my season ticket and follow hearts so what does that say about me. lol. cheers

To be honest Nicky, the standard of our league has been declining for years, and I often wonder why we all bother when the game is run for the sole benefit of two clubs, it's only going to continue to decline until we're all on a level playing field, and that won't happen in my lifetime (I'm 47). 

I have mixed feelings about the MLS, on one hand it annoys me that they have the money to just build a league overnight by bringing in expensive players, and basically buy their way into being a decent league. Compared to the Mexican Liga MX which has worked hard for years to build up what it has, now the MLS can just poach all their best players and their league ranking goes up. So that kind of thing annoys me. On the other hand it is exciting to watch some of the games, a secret shame of mine I suppose, and to their credit they are putting money into youth development. On that point though it is very expensive for youth players to join teams or get coaching, so it's limited to the richer kids. But most fans in the US are against the pay 2 play system, so we'll have to see if the MLS listens to the fans. They have listened to fans about safe standing sections, pyro, tifos etc so maybe they will change things. I actually find the draft system interesting, I have to admit it's more balanced than the coin toss between Rangers and Celtic, or Barcelona or Real Madrid that ends up happening in other leagues. It's also just interesting to see football done in a different way, rather than being a premiership clone. It's when they copy other leagues it feels more contrived imo, like 'Real Salt Lake', when did Salt Lake City become a Royal Spanish territory? :D  Or every team being United or City. It's actually interesting to see more Americanised sports team names like the Earthquakes and Sounders just for something different. Even the 'soccer' thing I'm just about getting used to.. ? ? Anyway I'm looking forward to the first LA derby, there's been some good shit talking already! :D 
image.png.5f40b5705bde7945d389b10f9a4f2a77.png

Edited by LesJambes

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've never really been able to get into the MLS, despite living here for near 12 years.  I've been to a few Minnesota United games before they were in the MLS and the standard was not great.  However, United do a fantastic job with fan engagement.  They're constantly doing things to keep people engaged and the average crowd has been over 20,000 which is great given the twin cities have all the 4 major sports as well as lacrosse and a decent minor league baseball team that gets crowds of 8-10,000.  They are also building their new stadium without asking for taxpayer funding which is unusual in itself.  

I think the reason i've not been able to get into it hugely is because i don't have the connection to the teams in the same way i do with Hearts. While UNited have the Dark Clouds fan base, hearing the chants just isn't the same as hearing someone shout "you're a *****" at a player.  Hopefully get to a couple of games this season, both my kids have United get up and sadly, they're more into that than they are to Hearts so i guess at some point i'll need to accept that they're not going to follow in my footsteps. 

21 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I've never really been able to get into the MLS, despite living here for near 12 years.  I've been to a few Minnesota United games before they were in the MLS and the standard was not great.  However, United do a fantastic job with fan engagement.  They're constantly doing things to keep people engaged and the average crowd has been over 20,000 which is great given the twin cities have all the 4 major sports as well as lacrosse and a decent minor league baseball team that gets crowds of 8-10,000.  They are also building their new stadium without asking for taxpayer funding which is unusual in itself.  

I think the reason i've not been able to get into it hugely is because i don't have the connection to the teams in the same way i do with Hearts. While UNited have the Dark Clouds fan base, hearing the chants just isn't the same as hearing someone shout "you're a *****" at a player.  Hopefully get to a couple of games this season, both my kids have United get up and sadly, they're more into that than they are to Hearts so i guess at some point i'll need to accept that they're not going to follow in my footsteps. 

I think it all stems from when you're growing up. For me it was probably because growing up in Dalry in the 80s' I was both terrified and in awe of all the Hearts fans, this is when they were a little bit less happy clappy and a bit more mental. :D

footballclub.PNG

maroonnicky63
Just now, johnmitchell said:

To be honest Nicky, the standard of our league has been declining for years, and I often wonder why we all bother when the game is run for the sole benefit of two clubs, it's only going to continue to decline until we're all on a level playing field, and that won't happen in my lifetime (I'm 47). 

Can't argue with that John will just say we bother because we hope that things will change , there was a time when the jambos were the top team in Scotland at one time but I can't see that happening any time but as fans we just hope upon hope, Celtic and Rangers have killed the game in Scotland they not helped it at all but I am sure some on here will disagree with that

Mars plastic
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:34, maroonnicky63 said:

ha ha I find it amazing that anyone watching the SPFL has the Gaul to call another league drivel when ours is pish poor, the same team doesn't win every season and the quality of player gets better every season but hey if you are happy watching the SPFL AND THINKS IT'S TOP , CARRY ON.

Asterix_the_gaul.jpg

People will be creaming themselves over Ibrahimovic, but the standard of refereeing was ****ing embarrassing. Neither of his goals should have stood. He was offside twice at the second one. 

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

"We eat children! We eat children!" 

So thats what happened to Paolo Di Canio!

On 31/03/2018 at 02:03, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

That is a very similar situation to mine in Sydney.  

The A-league and Sydney FC I enjoy, but dont love, although a warm day at the football with a couple of beers and no sectarian pish is a great day out.

I read more about Hearts than Sydney FC.  But my kids are genuine Sydney FC fans.  Suppose it is their local team.

Outside the MLS I also like Detroit City FC and Sacramento Republic FC

Edited by LesJambes

• 1 year later...
Nelly Terraces

Posted this on the Sam Nicholson thread but here's my thoughts after being at an MLS game on Sunday....

Over in the US on holiday right now & went to the Seattle Sounders  v Atlanta match on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic experience, stadium is the absolute business & the atmosphere was top drawer - they had a march from local park to the game & have a massive singing section with guys in there on platforms with loudhailers who's job it is to whip it up & get folk giving it the large one - which they were only more than willing to do. Everyone standing, singing, massive flags etc & nobody whinging about it like the sad pricks on here. Also get a quality craft beer from numerous outlets & drink at your seat as well as unlimited food choices of course. All in, best day at football in years & beat anything you get over our way outta site - quite laughable to read folks sniffy/shite uninformed opinions on the game & the punters in particular over here. We could learn a few things from them as pisses all over the glum & negative atmos you get in Scotland. Standard of the game is pretty mixed, I'd say roughly mid SPL level but the odd player sticks out as well above that. 1st Sounders goal the other day was superb skill, worth catching it if you can. Cheers!

13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Going to Tampa Bay Rowdies v St.Louis FC on Saturday night, my first visit to see soccer in the USA.

I've driven past their Stadium. It's an odd shape and right on the waterfront in St Pete's. Always fancied it when I'm over there though. Wouldn't mind a report of your evening if you can be bothered?

Never had an interest in the MLS but having seen the difference Miguel Almiron made at Newcastle last season theres no doubting there is some good quality players over there.

23 minutes ago, pablo said:

I've driven past their Stadium. It's an odd shape and right on the waterfront in St Pete's. Always fancied it when I'm over there though. Wouldn't mind a report of your evening if you can be bothered?

Will do if I remember. Normally do the baseball when out here but trying the football this time.

2 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Posted this on the Sam Nicholson thread but here's my thoughts after being at an MLS game on Sunday....

Over in the US on holiday right now & went to the Seattle Sounders  v Atlanta match on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic experience, stadium is the absolute business & the atmosphere was top drawer - they had a march from local park to the game & have a massive singing section with guys in there on platforms with loudhailers who's job it is to whip it up & get folk giving it the large one - which they were only more than willing to do. Everyone standing, singing, massive flags etc & nobody whinging about it like the sad pricks on here. Also get a quality craft beer from numerous outlets & drink at your seat as well as unlimited food choices of course. All in, best day at football in years & beat anything you get over our way outta site - quite laughable to read folks sniffy/shite uninformed opinions on the game & the punters in particular over here. We could learn a few things from them as pisses all over the glum & negative atmos you get in Scotland. Standard of the game is pretty mixed, I'd say roughly mid SPL level but the odd player sticks out as well above that. 1st Sounders goal the other day was superb skill, worth catching it if you can. Cheers!

What's a sounder?

Sadly my daughter moved to Vancouver and I'm now stuck with the ******* Whitecaps. I go to New York, I pick The Mets, Football I watch Hard Knocks the year the ******** Cincinnati Bengals are on it. I'm just attracted to losers.

Thankfully so is Mrs JH

My husband and I are one of 36,000 season ticket holders that Atlanta United has. There are 13,000 fans on the waiting list.  Like many others we bought our tickets before the team even had a name or had signed a single player. We just knew an Atlanta team was coming and we wanted to be part of it. To be honest I wasn't expecting much. I loved Hearts and wasn't fussy for supporting anyone else.

Atlanta United changed everything. There was 55,000 people at their first ever match only three years ago. We now command attendances of up to 74,000 when the full stadium is open. (The top tier is only open for "big" games). Hearts will always be my number one but I love Atlanta United too. Mercedes Benz Stadium must be one of, if not the best stadium in the world. The noise level during games is absolutely deafening. The facilities at the stadium, the training ground, the academy and everything Atlanta touches are top notch. The atmosphere is electrifying.

It can't be compared to going to games in Scotland. It's a completely different experience. 

The standard is much better now than in bygone years. Atlanta has some amazing players - although we are currently suffering from a coach (Frank De Boer) who is trying to make Argentinians play like Dutchmen.

Honestly, don't knock til you've tried it. America is wakening up. They love their "soccer" here and if you get a chance to visit Mercedes Benz to see a game I promise your socks will be well and truly knocked off!

On 16/07/2019 at 19:27, pablo said:

Tampa won 4-1 which was probably about the right result. Level of football whilst not great was better than expected, both teams attacked at every opportunity so was a decent game for the neutral. Odd shaped stadium as you say but the Ultras (Ralph's Mob) made a decent effort in making an atmosphere. Crowd was about 4,000+. One draw back was the 7.30 kick off time....Game was delayed for an hour due to a bad thunderstorm passing through around kick off time (you will know that this time of year between 4pm and 8pm are thunderstorm times), another drawback was Tampa Bay Rays also being at home same time so roads into St.Petersburg were busy but the biggest negative was there was far too much green on show, hard to stomach. Beer and food at stadium was a lot cheaper than Tropicana Field.

Definately worth a visit if in area and game on.

After graduating from a soccer scholarship my lad played with Seattle Sounders U23 and during this summer played in Little Rock.  The quality of play is poor but you cannot fault the fans for their enthusiasm and positivity.  Little Rock have the Red Watch who are fanatics in a good way (flares, bombs, chanting, etc.). If only Section N could organise themselves in a similar way, but unfortunately football culture in Scotland is embedded in the past.

@Gambo Thanks for taking the time to write the report. It definitely sounds like worth looking at to catch a game.

I remember a few years ago Joe Cole was playing for the Rowdies and they had billboards across the area with him on it, they were really going for it advertising their star player. 

Bit of a strange outfit,  for me they were synonymous with NASL and taking on the New York Cosmos, did Rodney Marsh play for them? And you would think with the number of Brits and Germans in the area, a franchise in the Tampa Bay area could work at MLS level. 

Yet, they're playing in front of 4 thousand at a lower level. Must be the shite green and yellow kits.

Enjoy your holiday. Cheers!