?? MLS thread

LesJambes

Anyone else getting excited about the MLS this year? The new LAFC team looks great, can't wait for the first LAFC - Galaxy derby!

Howdy Doody Jambo

Perry Kitchenette  is on the Galaxy team roster, should raise some interest and Sam Nicolson also is goal creator for

Minnisota

38 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Just can’t believe the crowds Atlanta are getting

I know, I'd never have guessed "soccer" ?  would be so popular there, I thought it would be best supported in LA or Miami maybe, somewhere with a big Latin American population.

32 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Terrible league. 

Only the Indian and A-League are worse

They have been, and are, but they are surprisingly passionate. I'm very jealous of the fact they have terracing, and they let fans do tifos and pyro. You might be surprised at the atmsophere at some MLS games now. I certainly was!

16 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Perry Kitchenette  is on the Galaxy team roster, should raise some interest and Sam Nicolson also is goal creator for

Minnisota

My team is the Rapids, I feel obligated because they play in the maroon. Also they have ex-jambo Danny Wilson.

Edited by LesJambes

Not sure we should get too excited about MLS.  It will be the death nell of EPL and CL.

All the top players will be over there and game will be ruined by advert breaks.

might though help SPL as TV over here chases viewers and advertisers.

Edited by jambosdad
Explanation

Samuel Camazzola

I like the MLS and have watched some entertaining games with good goals. Johnny Russell scored a good one at the weekend. 

New York City playing in the Yankees stadium irks me though. 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I like the MLS and have watched some entertaining games with good goals. Johnny Russell scored a good one at the weekend. 

New York City playing in the Yankees stadium irks me though. 

True, but at least they play in New York, unlike the New York Red Bulls in Jersey! Maybe they can attract some Yankees fans that way though.

Looks like the US might even be developing a football hooligan element. Sad t see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLbrbnvPmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTFGloAkcg

The 'who are ya' in mockney accents is a bit cringey, at least Americanise it slightly, 'joose gonna get whacked pendejo' or something :D

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, LesJambes said:

True, but at least they play in New York, unlike the New York Red Bulls in Jersey! Maybe they can attract some Yankees fans that way though.

Looks like the US might even be developing a football hooligan element. Sad t see.

The 'who are ya' in mockney accents is a bit cringey, at least Americanise it slightly, 'joose gonna get whacked pendejo' or something :D

It's more so from watching it on TV and seeing the walls surrounding the pitch side. As a spectator in the ground, it may be decent. 

Atlanta's crowd has been impressive and Toronto consistently have a good following. 

I see there is to be match between an MLS select and La Liga select in September. Sounds good. I wonder if an SPFL select would ever happen to play in something similar. I imagine Celtic wouldn't want to let their players participate. 

I’ve enjoyed the opening couple of weeks of this season

the atmosphere at Atlanta looks brilliant, although would eventually start to grate on you.

the Sporting Kansas City game (Johnny Russel’s Team) At the weekend was insane 

2-0 up

3-2 down

won 4-3

ashley Cole was high with praise of Perry Kitchen saying that he was “just what we missed last season” (La galaxy finished bottom of the western conference) 

and he’s played 90 Mins both games so far

sam Nicholson also started both Minnesota games but was subbed in the 2nd (a 2-1 away win to Orlando) an hour into the match. 

The standard is a but poor at times but it’s football to watch with some familiar names 

and due to the time difference  the games rarely clash (for example I couldn’t sleep due to the Sunday fear and watched the Atlanta game at 7ish and then the New York City v La Galaxy straight after until near enough midnight.

one small gripe is the “highlights” show on sky

They only show the goal once, almost as it happens and that’s it, no replays so sometimes blink and you miss it

19 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's more so from watching it on TV and seeing the walls surrounding the pitch side. As a spectator in the ground, it may be decent. 

Atlanta's crowd has been impressive and Toronto consistently have a good following. 

I see there is to be match between an MLS select and La Liga select in September. Sounds good. I wonder if an SPFL select would ever happen to play in something similar. I imagine Celtic wouldn't want to let their players participate. 

That will be good to watch, although I quite like the MLS I don't think they deserve to win that one since they've only been going a few decades. 

15 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

I’ve enjoyed the opening couple of weeks of this season

the atmosphere at Atlanta looks brilliant, although would eventually start to grate on you.

the Sporting Kansas City game (Johnny Russel’s Team) At the weekend was insane 

2-0 up

3-2 down

won 4-3

ashley Cole was high with praise of Perry Kitchen saying that he was “just what we missed last season” (La galaxy finished bottom of the western conference) 

and he’s played 90 Mins both games so far

sam Nicholson also started both Minnesota games but was subbed in the 2nd (a 2-1 away win to Orlando) an hour into the match. 

The standard is a but poor at times but it’s football to watch with some familiar names 

and due to the time difference  the games rarely clash (for example I couldn’t sleep due to the Sunday fear and watched the Atlanta game at 7ish and then the New York City v La Galaxy straight after until near enough midnight.

one small gripe is the “highlights” show on sky

They only show the goal once, almost as it happens and that’s it, no replays so sometimes blink and you miss it

Yeah the fan groups still feel a bit contrived, maybe they'll get into the swing of things in a few seasons. You should check out the Major League Soccer channel on YouTube, they have a good weekly highlights show. Reminds me a little of the Football Italiano program that was on Channel 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTvB-O1k4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-fWSnG-heg

Edited by LesJambes

1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

Couldn't pay me enough to watch that drivel. Sky will ditch it for some other nonsense soon enough.

I'm not convinced you're really a rubber.. ? ? ? Show me something you've rubbed out

:oohmatron:

Edited by LesJambes

We’re getting tickets for Whitecaps v San Jose when we’re over in May.

I suppose I’ll need to calm it a bit ?

Edited by Jamhammer

Mars plastic
2 hours ago, LesJambes said:

I'm not convinced you're really a rubber.. ? ? ? Show me something you've rubbed out

:oohmatron:

Yer ma. 

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, LesJambes said:

The second clip is outside the Bulls Ultras pub in NJ. We had a few beers there in 2013 and it was pretty clear that it was only a matter of time before things took a nasty turn.

Seen far worse than the above across Scotland but throw in the numbers of nutters across there and guns, and you have a wee cocktail 

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

The second clip is outside the Bulls Ultras pub in NJ. We had a few beers there in 2013 and it was pretty clear that it was only a matter of time before things took a nasty turn.

Seen far worse than the above across Scotland but throw in the numbers of nutters across there and guns, and you have a wee cocktail 

Maybe not the best idea to give them Crips and Bloods colors either! :o

• 2 weeks later...

This is the sort of coverage we should be doing. Utterly pish league but marketed well. 

Shame the SFA will never learn lessons from how to actually market the game effectively. 

I’ve only ever been to one game, season 2016/17, Orlando vs Toronto. Toronto by far the better team, quite British in set up and tactics. Overall quality was okay but not great but could have been impacted by climate (heat & humidity) and artificial pitch. Probably similar standard to the SPL. Match tickets are expensive, although I went with a friend on one of his season tickets (seats on centre line) which cost c. $1,400 for the season!!

2 hours ago, OTT said:

This is the sort of coverage we should be doing. Utterly pish league but marketed well. 

Shame the SFA will never learn lessons from how to actually market the game effectively. 

Curious as to why you think it’s an “utterly pish league”?  Crowds are increasing all the time, 5 different winners in the last 5 years, expansion plans continue to materialise and as you say marketed and financed extensively. A lot to like about the way the MLS continues to grow. 

LA derby on Saturday night looks to be interesting. 

There’s the obvious Zlatan factor and of course a mild Hearts interest with Perry kitchen playing for Galaxy, but LA FC have started the season well 2 wins from 2

and have stoked the flames about how they are actually playing in LA unlike Galaxy who play in Carlton?(can’t remember exact location) 

It’s on one of the Sky Sports football channels (either football or mix) at 8pm on Saturday

Awful ‘who are ya?!’ Chant in an American accent in the second clip and the first seems to be two groups of men badly chanting back and forth at each other SURROUNDED by more police than we have in Scotland!!! (Carrying guns!)

While I appreciate there’s an apparent appetite for ‘soccer’ over the pond... gies peace with the casual tomfoolery!

Edited by CBjambo

Deans Jambo
On 14/03/2018 at 13:49, LesJambes said:

A bit of sidewalk dancing! :laugh:

Hoping to catch Vancouver Whitecaps v San Jose Earthquakes in May when we're over. Don't really have an MLS team. Maybe this game will change that

Nookie Bear
52 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Hoping to catch Vancouver Whitecaps v San Jose Earthquakes in May when we're over. Don't really have an MLS team. Maybe this game will change that

With your previous, you will need to find a team that promises much...but ultimately disappoints, leaving you with a lifetime of frustration and failure to look forward to.

Enjoy :happy:

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

With your previous, you will need to find a team that promises much...but ultimately disappoints, leaving you with a lifetime of frustration and failure to look forward to.

Enjoy :happy:

Mate you’ve no idea. Go to New York pick the Mets over the Yankees. NFL team? Cincinnati Bengals. Vancouver won’t have much to live up to, sadly 

KnightyJambo

Going to Orlando in October, looking at possibly going to the OCSC vs Seattle match on the 18th. 

Is MLS big on home and away ends, or is it a mixed support?

On 3/15/2018 at 07:05, Dagger Is Back said:

Agree 100%, Would only take some nut going off, not sure if you can take a weapon into a stadium in USA, guessing it would be against their second amendment rights to take it off them.

The Old Tolbooth

I watched Dallas v Portland the other night, it was quite possibly the worst game of televised football I've ever seen, Brechin could beat the pair of them! 

9 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Curious as to why you think it’s an “utterly pish league”?  Crowds are increasing all the time, 5 different winners in the last 5 years, expansion plans continue to materialise and as you say marketed and financed extensively. A lot to like about the way the MLS continues to grow. 

Perhaps too strong, no doubt its improving from where it was but still a big distance away from being considered a top league. my point was really to emphasis how well its marketed and how Scottish football should really look at how a relatively unattractive league can make itself desirable to watch. From that side of things its hugely impressive.

maroonnicky63
On 3/14/2018 at 19:02, Mars plastic said:

Couldn't pay me enough to watch that drivel. Sky will ditch it for some other nonsense soon enough.

ha ha I find it amazing that anyone watching the SPFL has the Gaul to call another league drivel when ours is pish poor, the same team doesn't win every season and the quality of player gets better every season but hey if you are happy watching the SPFL AND THINKS IT'S TOP , CARRY ON.

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

I watched Dallas v Portland the other night, it was quite possibly the worst game of televised football I've ever seen, Brechin could beat the pair of them! 

You mean you watched a poor game in the MLS??, that's a shocker because all the games in the SPFL are top notch and you never ever get a poor game

Салатные палочки
12 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Heads up for John Murray could do a job ?

Thought that was Martin for a minute.  

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

You mean you watched a poor game in the MLS??, that's a shocker because all the games in the SPFL are top notch and you never ever get a poor game

Correct. And Hearts would struggle against numerous MLS teams never mind the historically bad Brechin so his point is completely ignorant. 

7 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

For me it has to be Colorado Rapids, for obvious reasons.

The MLS is generally low quality, but the interesting thing is you get 90% pish players, and the occasional outstanding player like Ibrahimovic. For me this makes it way more unpredictable and exciting, the goals per game ration this season so far has been pretty high iirc. Also unlike the SPFL and to an extent the Premiership, the draft system makes it less predictable, you don't just get two or three clubs winning everything, it's wide open.

The Old Tolbooth
5 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I should probably have worded it better, I honestly thought that with all the money over there that the standard would be much higher, but it was absolutely rank rotten. 

On 3/14/2018 at 13:49, LesJambes said:

cringefest. watched green street once...

fiercely passionate until the franchise just relocates next season? haha

38 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

cringefest. watched green street once...

fiercely passionate until the franchise just relocates next season? haha

They're trying to do that to the Columbus Crew just now, there's a surprising amount of resistance. Check the hashtag #savethecrew

6 hours ago, LesJambes said:

For me it has to be Colorado Rapids, for obvious reasons.

Portland still have a guy sawing a big log if they score?

Edited by Jamhammer

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

I should probably have worded it better, I honestly thought that with all the money over there that the standard would be much higher, but it was absolutely rank rotten. 

Same as the SPFL as it is rank rotten as well but that is until they get rid of the idiots that are running it. We in Scotland have been involved in football much longer than the states , it is still a growing sport in American and they will arguably become one of the top football nations in years to come ,so lets just wait and see and give them time I have seen some really good games on sky so can't see how you would ever call it rank rotten as you are basing it on one game , how many poor games have you seen in Scotland including our very own national team so don't be to quick to make a judment but there you go that's your take although it is a poor one IMO.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Same as the SPFL as it is rank rotten as well but that is until they get rid of the idiots that are running it. We in Scotland have been involved in football much longer than the states , it is still a growing sport in American and they will arguably become one of the top football nations in years to come ,so lets just wait and see and give them time I have seen some really good games on sky so can't see how you would ever call it rank rotten as you are basing it on one game , how many poor games have you seen in Scotland including our very own national team so don't be to quick to make a judment but there you go that's your take although it is a poor one IMO.

Okay, I get it, calm down, I was just unfortunate to have picked the wrong game to watch and the rest of the league is brilliant. There's a vast difference in the amount of money in the MLS compared to Scotland, I'd expect the quality of the league to be a few leagues above ours to be honest, you're definitely right about the people running (ruining) our game though, it'll never change here until they're shipped out of their comfort zones and sent packing. 

maroonnicky63
Just now, johnmitchell said:

Okay, I get it, calm down, I was just unfortunate to have picked the wrong game to watch and the rest of the league is brilliant. There's a vast difference in the amount of money in the MLS compared to Scotland, I'd expect the quality of the league to be a few leagues above ours to be honest, you're definitely right about the people running (ruining) our game though, it'll never change here until they're shipped out of their comfort zones and sent packing. 

Not trying to say the rest of the league is brilliant at all John I was just saying that in terms of the football the states are still relatively young in football terms and ours I am afraid is still poor.

I am saying that but still buy my season ticket and follow hearts so what does that say about me. lol. cheers