Scotland age group teams

Mikey1874

Threads get lost but was thinking for a while about starting a thread to capture some of the youngsters representing Scotland. 

Euro qualifying later this month - during international 'break' so Harry back in U17 squad.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Kiwidoug

• rubyruby

Portable Badger

Good idea

good to see some many Jambos involved but I'm confused as to why they're stating Marc Leonard still at Hearts. Thought he was now at Brighton?

1 hour ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

Good idea

good to see some many Jambos involved but I'm confused as to why they're stating Marc Leonard still at Hearts. Thought he was now at Brighton?

Moving in the summer, I think. 

The Future's Maroon

This is our future, unfortunately under Vlad the youth was ripped to bits, Levein has sorted it, my username is so more apt now that when I first chose it years ago....not that Craig will get much credit on this forum for it.

1 hour ago, The Future's Maroon said:

This is our future, unfortunately under Vlad the youth was ripped to bits, Levein has sorted it, my username is so more apt now that when I first chose it years ago....not that Craig will get much credit on this forum for it.

How true.  

100 kids at Hearts - 200 parents all happy

20 get released - 40 parents tell the world the place is shit.

12 months later 20 get released - 40 more parents tell the world the academy is a mess.

6 months later 30 get released - 60 parents tell the world the place is shit.

Left are 30 top quality kids who have worked VERY hard.  Shame the whole of Edinburgh have to hear 140 families tell everybody the academy is bollocks.

Levein has the place VERY WELL on track and you can see the group coming through are better than any we’ve had - yes they’ll have disasters at 16/17/18 but see when they’ve matured they’ll be top class.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

How true.  

12 months later 20 get released - 40 more parents tell the world the academy is a mess.

Left are 30 top quality kids who have worked VERY hard.  Shame the whole of Edinburgh have to hear 140 families tell everybody the academy is bollocks.

Levein has the place VERY WELL on track and you can see the group coming through are better than any we’ve had - yes they’ll have disasters at 16/17/18 but see when they’ve matured they’ll be top class.

That's hugely encouraging.  Everyone like you who has in depth knowledge of the academy raves about the job Levein has done there.

Grandson is in 1st year at High School and came home with newsletter tonight with his pal on front page signing for HMFC , Kevin Talbot . :sweeet:

same School Rory Currie went too

Edited by cookieboy

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

How true.  

A weird comparison....

Something I was told decades ago, Customer service...

if someone has a bad experience they are likely to tell 10 of their friends or family.

If someone has a good experience they are likely to tell 1 of their friends or family.

When I played youth football you knew all the best players at your age group.

This age group is the same as my sons and I have only seen two players in that squad play (Harry and Anthony) and that was for Hearts first team.

Footballfirst

This seasons roll of honour includes the following players who have represented their countries at each age group

U16 - Connor Smith, Harry Stone, Sean Ward, Josh Grigor, Cammy Logan

U17- Chris Hamilton, Harry Cochrane, Anthony McDonald, Marc Leonard

U19 - Daniel Baur, Aidan Keena

U21 - John Souttar, Liam Smith

If you extend it to the last 12 months, the you can add Alex Petkov, Aaron Reid, Nokolay Todorov, and Dario Zanatta

3 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

He does from me. Giving youngsters a chance is a great investment, remember when Alex Ferguson brought several really young players to the first team, they dipped a bit but after that look how some of them turned out. Giving them that chance gives them a big boost.

1 hour ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Adedapo Medube? 

Extravagant name i guess, beats Terry Taylor in flamboyance.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23237

Has a younger brother with Rangers too 

Both could play for Scotland around when Scott McTominay gets his 50th cap 

Edited by Mikey1874

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This seasons roll of honour includes the following players who have represented their countries at each age group

U16 - Connor Smith, Harry Stone, Sean Ward, Josh Grigor, Cammy Logan

U17- Chris Hamilton, Harry Cochrane, Anthony McDonald, Marc Leonard

U19 - Daniel Baur, Aidan Keena

U21 - John Souttar, Liam Smith

If you extend it to the last 12 months, the you can add Alex Petkov, Aaron Reid, Nokolay Todorov, and Dario Zanatta

Callumn Morrison was also selected for U19 squad but didn't play (?)

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/donald-park-names-first-under-19-squad/

Edited by Mikey1874

There’s no doubt that many of the kids released will be a mistake on the clubs part, the lads will hopefully be mindful that Man U released Pogba then bought him back for serious money, and at an even more serious level.

Hearts are the be all and end all for us and many Edinburgh families, but that can’t be the case when it comes to making a career out of football.

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Chris Hamilton - another prospect :)

Saw pictures of the first team training today and he was among them. 

I am interested to see if Hearts do the same thing this year as they did last year and have a ceremony for all the players who sign professional contracts. Thought it was a nice touch and allows us to know who has signed. Has there been any rumblings on who has been offered contracts yet?

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Saw pictures of the first team training today and he was among them. 

I am interested to see if Hearts do the same thing this year as they did last year and have a ceremony for all the players who sign professional contracts. Thought it was a nice touch and allows us to know who has signed. Has there been any rumblings on who has been offered contracts yet?

At the AGM Craig Levein indicated that another six to eight would be offered contracts.

I don't know if that included Connor Smith because he wasn't 16 until February. I believe that Dino Leddie is already full time but that hasn't been announced by the club.

Sean Ward and Harry Stone should certainly get contracts, after that you would be looking at Josh Grigor and Cammy Logan.  Beyond those is anyone's guess.  A number from that age group have appeared in the U20 squads, but I think that is more down to lack of numbers than pure ability beyond their years.

The success rate in awarding contracts to 16/17 year olds is still questionable.  Aaron Reid, Mark Leonard, Kyle Smith and Zidan Ackers were all given contracts in the last 18 months or so and are no longer with the club.

Edited by Footballfirst

8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

At the AGM Craig Levein indicated that another six to eight would be offered contracts.

I don't know if that included Connor Smith because he wasn't 16 until February. I believe that Dino Leddie is already full time but that hasn't been announced by the club.

Sean Ward and Harry Stone should certainly get contracts, after that you would be looking at Josh Grigor and Cammy Logan.  Beyond those is anyone's guess.  A number from that age group have appeared in the U20 squads, but I think that is more down to lack of numbers than pure ability beyond their years.

The success rate in awarding contracts to 16/17 year olds is still questionable.  Aaron Reid, Mark Leonard, Kyle Smith and Zidan Ackers were all given contracts in the last 18 months or so and are no longer with the club.

for some reason I was thinking 'what happened to the Lad zidane akers, is he still with us' in the car on the way to work today. I knew he'd signed a pro contract but didn't realise he'd been released. now I know. cheers

Mr Brightside
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Bit harsh including Mark Leonard in that list as he has left to join an EPL team and got the club cash. Whilst I would have wanted him to stay and succeed in our first team, having a player bought by an EPL must be deemed a success in our youth recruitment strategy.

No Hearts players in latest U19 squad. Daniel Baur had been in previous squads. Callumn Morrison has been but not recently. Not sure if he may be injured but doubt he would have been in. 

58 minutes ago, Futurejambo1 said:

John Soutar and Liam Smith in 21s squad 

Soutar is carrying an injury and should take a rest.

7 hours ago, RenfrewHearts said:

Muirhead :lol: 

Just the 2 goals for him tonight...

McBurnie promoted to senior squad, Muirhead is a decent replacement for the 21s

RenfrewHearts
16 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Just the 2 goals for him tonight...

McBurnie promoted to senior squad, Muirhead is a decent replacement for the 21s

Haha seen that. He’s just turned 22, seems a strange time to call him up. I’m sure Gemmill had previously said he’d prefer to focus on the boys who will be eligible for the next campaign.

6 minutes ago, RenfrewHearts said:

Haha seen that. He’s just turned 22, seems a strange time to call him up. I’m sure Gemmill had previously said he’d prefer to focus on the boys who will be eligible for the next campaign.

Really? I didn't see that from Gemmill. The squads seem to keep players at their current age groups and not pushing them up, Cochrane for example playing senior club football but in the Scotland 17s.

Not 19s, 21s or seniors (obviously not that level yet). I'd like to see us push folk up an age group if possible. 

RenfrewHearts
13 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Really? I didn't see that from Gemmill. The squads seem to keep players at their current age groups and not pushing them up, Cochrane for example playing senior club football but in the Scotland 17s.

Not 19s, 21s or seniors (obviously not that level yet). I'd like to see us push folk up an age group if possible. 

It was around the time he took over. Nicholson and a few others, who had been regulars, were left out at the back end of a qualifying campaign to makeway for the next age group. Maybe something that has been shelved but it seems a strange call up to me considering he hasn’t featured before. 

56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hearts represented in key Euro qualifer tomorrow first of 3 games to hopefully qualify for finals in England in May.

Chris Hamilton, Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald should be involved. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/hopes-high-for-under-17s-ahead-of-euros-elite-round/?rid=4425

Brilliant.  Look forward to that.  Thanks for posting.

59 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

What position does Chris Hamilton play?

I assume not a left back

Centre back / holding mid. Predominantly CB but I think if he has potential for DM.

51 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

Centre back / holding mid. Predominantly CB but I think if he has potential for DM.

Would think there might be an opportunity or two for the lad given the lack of numbers at the back

4 hours ago, davie1980 said:

What position does Chris Hamilton play?

I assume not a left back

3 hours ago, jambo19 said:

Has tended to play right back for Scotland. 

Though it was said he played DM in recent warm up game v Spain. As above plays centre half for Hearts U20s. 

On 3/8/2018 at 17:39, Mikey1874 said:

Threads get lost but was thinking for a while about starting a thread to capture some of the youngsters representing Scotland. 

Euro qualifying later this month - during international 'break' so Harry back in U17 squad.

One Celtic player !!!! Glad to see that champions league money is being well invested in the future of Scottish football....tossers!

16 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

One Celtic player !!!! Glad to see that champions league money is being well invested in the future of Scottish football....tossers!

Curious - maybe says something about a wider spread of talent in this age group including via the Performance schools? Or how Celtic do things.

Celtic have 6 players in the Scotland U19 squad (Rangers have 5)..

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Curious - maybe says something about a wider spread of talent in this age group including via the Performance schools? Or how Celtic do things.

Celtic have 6 players in the Scotland U19 squad (Rangers have 5)..

Perhaps they wait for players to develop and take them from other clubs... which would be old firm MO!

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

All 3 Hearts players start the opening game v Greece 

Is this Harrys 1st cap at u17s level?.I know he has been in the younger groups but missed out last yr with levein bringing him into the 1st team.

RenfrewHearts
24 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

Is this Harrys 1st cap at u17s level?.I know he has been in the younger groups but missed out last yr with levein bringing him into the 1st team.

Yep, I had asked the same thing on another thread. Same for McDonald.

Just for some context group winners and most /best 2nd place qualify for finals.

Other game has finished Germany 2 Norway 2. 

Harry & Anthony both subbed on 51minutes

Currently getting beat 1-0

Edited by rubyruby

colinmaroon
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:23, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Adedapo Medube? 

Extravagant name i guess, beats Terry Taylor in flamboyance.

True Blue!!!